Jump to content

Post some pics of your Rivieras!!!!!!!!!!


Recommended Posts

1 hour ago, NC68Riviera said:

Randall, Please post additional pictures! I forgot to take a picture of my own car! Duh!

 

Mike, I have to say I don’t usually get very good pictures while at the park either. Usually trying to meet and greet and get things set-up, so it doesn’t give me enough time to look and enjoy the Rivs.

 

I know what you mean about not getting pictures of your own car, I kind of think “I have plenty” and don’t need more pics of my own.

 

This year we had five of the eight generations in attendance. There were two ‘65s, quite a few of the second generation, a ’66, a ’66 GS, a ’68, a ’69, and a ’70, an ’81, a ’93, a ’97 and a ’99 Silver Arrow.

 

559275113_Picturescombined-1.5.thumb.jpg.be3bea0fed95e6c2a80ca469b5b85620.jpg

 

1137630781_Picturescombined-2.thumb.jpg.a8669a5d961022c34550db9d434f2b4c.jpg

 

1733423883_Picturescombined-3.thumb.jpg.56f0c98b35a89a73f6a5e5e25f973b0f.jpg

 

586350415_Picturescombined-4.thumb.jpg.fa1943a2cc6407425e449728d7789a7c.jpg

 

1657269958_Picturescombined-5.thumb.jpg.2d882efd2e65953d854c57233b7cc1c0.jpg

  • Like 4
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 2 weeks later...
23 hours ago, kreed said:

Thought I would show a couple updates on my 65 GS  - starting interior and wiring now 

KReed

ROA 14549

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

Hey Kreed - awesome rebulild and absolutely gorgeous!

 

Can you share the history of your Gran Sport?  How long have you owned it?  

 

Is that a stock exterior color?  Very attractive.

 

Congratulations from a fellow GS owner!

Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks for the compliment Alex  - your 65 GS is gorgeous ! I have owned my car for about 4 years and it is in its third and final restoration shop . Previous two were crooks who basically took my car apart , labeled everything (thankfully ) and then did nothing but want more money with little to show for it. Took it to Houston in pieces in a Penske truck to a good friend  in September 2017 . The guy doing the restoration is doing a nice job for me . He has couple other projects going at the same time which allows me to be able to afford it fortunately . I originally wanted burgundy mist but didn't feel it "popped" quite enough so found this 2018 Jeep color called  velvet red . It is a deep burgundy with a little metallic . Interior will be black deluxe. Hopefully done by early Spring ?

Ken Reed

ROA 14549

Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, 65VerdeGS said:

Kreed's post of his '65 Gran Sport rebuild inspired me to post this photo I took last week:

 

 

IMG_0974.JPG

If that's Midnight Aqua, that shade tree isn't doing it justice. That and Midnight Blue are my ALL TIME favorite 65 colors.

Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, kreed said:

Thanks for the compliment Alex  - your 65 GS is gorgeous ! I have owned my car for about 4 years and it is in its third and final restoration shop . Previous two were crooks who basically took my car apart , labeled everything (thankfully ) and then did nothing but want more money with little to show for it. Took it to Houston in pieces in a Penske truck to a good friend  in September 2017 . The guy doing the restoration is doing a nice job for me . He has couple other projects going at the same time which allows me to be able to afford it fortunately . I originally wanted burgundy mist but didn't feel it "popped" quite enough so found this 2018 Jeep color called  velvet red . It is a deep burgundy with a little metallic . Interior will be black deluxe. Hopefully done by early Spring ?

Ken Reed

ROA 14549

Great news that your restoration is finally going well.  

 

The guy that restored the body on mine took 18 months to do it.  It was a bit frustrating to have to wait so long.  But it was worth it.  He stripped the car right down to bare metal and gutted all the rust, replacing with new metal - the trunk floor, rear window, both rear inner and outer fenders around the back wheels, etc.  A stunning job  as he was a fabricator and welding magician.  I had the car done twice before him and every time the rust would come back.  Not this time, as it's been a dozen years and not a spot of tin worm.   Hope you're as lucky with your car.

 

I love the Jeep color - that really pops, so good choice!

 

Would love to see how your car progresses through the restoration.  So post some pics if you can.

 

Cheers, 

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 10/24/2018 at 7:57 PM, kreed said:

Thought I would show a couple updates on my 65 GS  - starting interior and wiring now 

KReed

ROA 14549

image.jpeg

 

 

 

Beautiful. Can you tell me your tire brand? I have been having a hard time finding white walls that are actually white..

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/1/2018 at 9:00 AM, JZRIV said:

Hey Steve,

Aren't project cars supposed to awaken in winter?

Waiting on my paint and body guy to recover from his recent brain surgery. Hope he regains his strength by Spring. 

 

In the meantime, I’ll be in Florida

Link to post
Share on other sites
On ‎10‎/‎27‎/‎2018 at 9:20 PM, RivNut said:

This is a picture of some DB tires made for an ROA member that replicate the OE tire for the Riviera in 1965.

 

post-95345-143142571536_thumb.jpg.e110fc5340c5d8ea5b380b31058c4bbd.jpg

I just ordered a set of 4 of these triple whitewall tires from Diamondback Tires. 235/75-15 Auburn Premium tires. ~$1200 with shipping to my home in NC.

I sea-sawed between these and the red stripe tires for a long time until I saw this posting. I am convinced these are the tires for The Aqua Zephyr! :)

Edited by NC68Riviera (see edit history)
Link to post
Share on other sites
9 hours ago, NC68Riviera said:

I just ordered a set of 4 of these triple whitewall tires from Diamondback Tires. 235/75-15 Auburn Premium tires. ~$1200 with shipping to my home in NC.

I sea-sawed between these and the red stripe tires for a long time until I saw this posting. I am convinced these are the tires for The Aqua Zephyr! :)

 

And the white is more correct for a non-GS, they look cool, and don't see them much anymore...

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
17 hours ago, NC68Riviera said:

We drove The Aqua Zephyr to the NC Cotton Festival Car Show in Dunn, NC this past weekend. We took home a "Best Original" class trophy, which was completely unexpected! 

 

 

Congrats Mike!!!

 

Very NICE!

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
  • 3 weeks later...
11 hours ago, NC68Riviera said:

Your pad looks like a frosted cake!

Yes Sir, it takes a lot of “cake” to get the dash look the right way. The pure white patches are fills in the missing foam rubber divots. The stuff works good.I believe I bring “ home “ the right texture and look.

Link to post
Share on other sites

Crowvet, I would think Corvette parts readily available, but pricey. When I bought my 63 Riv it was solid, but needed some new parts. Probably not as many parts  as I put on, but I went ahead and I’m fixing the car the way I want. Things like carb rebuild, master cylinder rebuild, new brakes lines and wheel cylinders, shoes, all new upholstery from Clark’s Corvair, new radials, and the list can go on. 

‘I buy most everything I CAN GET from a gent named Gene Garnere in Philadelphia, PA. His prices are within the scope of reason. Sometimes the price is a little high and sometimes the price is a little low. One thing I will say he is reliable and has most everything you need. No one had a firewall rubber grommet for Freon hoses for my AC- Gene had the grommet for a token price of $10.00. I shopped it thinking Gene would not have it, but he did. Gene’s number is 610-359-8901. 

Good luck and have fun. If, you are not a member of the Riviera Owners Association sign up.Great folks who know Rivieras.

RRB

Link to post
Share on other sites

Daryle,

 

You are not the only person to think a Riviera is a great looking car and would be a joy to own only to find out that when it comes to restoring one, they're not like a Mustang, Camaro, Chevelle, or Corvette, for which entire cottage industries have popped up. Because of the limited numbers built to begin with, and the fact that it's taken years for them to get into the spotlight, any parts reproduced are few and far between. So we salvage what we can and learn to be creative.  There are  lot of parts that are common to other Buick models and GM cars in general.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2018 at 7:15 AM, Red Riviera Bob said:

Crowvet, I would think Corvette parts readily available, but pricey. When I bought my 63 Riv it was solid, but needed some new parts. Probably not as many parts  as I put on, but I went ahead and I’m fixing the car the way I want. Things like carb rebuild, master cylinder rebuild, new brakes lines and wheel cylinders, shoes, all new upholstery from Clark’s Corvair, new radials, and the list can go on. 

‘I buy most everything I CAN GET from a gent named Gene Garnere in Philadelphia, PA. His prices are within the scope of reason. Sometimes the price is a little high and sometimes the price is a little low. One thing I will say he is reliable and has most everything you need. No one had a firewall rubber grommet for Freon hoses for my AC- Gene had the grommet for a token price of $10.00. I shopped it thinking Gene would not have it, but he did. Gene’s number is 610-359-8901. 

Good luck and have fun. If, you are not a member of the Riviera Owners Association sign up.Great folks who know Rivieras.

RRB

Thank you for the information, The Corvette was pricey but didn't require near the research to find. I figure I need about 2 or $3000 on the minor stuff, to make it a pretty nice driver/ show and shine quality. It is the paint that is going to be the killer. But, it will get done and I am like you I will probably keep going until it is perfect. The Corvette is to the point that there is nothing more I can do, and that somewhat bores me.

Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/28/2018 at 9:20 AM, RivNut said:

Daryle,

 

You are not the only person to think a Riviera is a great looking car and would be a joy to own only to find out that when it comes to restoring one, they're not like a Mustang, Camaro, Chevelle, or Corvette, for which entire cottage industries have popped up. Because of the limited numbers built to begin with, and the fact that it's taken years for them to get into the spotlight, any parts reproduced are few and far between. So we salvage what we can and learn to be creative.  There are  lot of parts that are common to other Buick models and GM cars in general.

Thanks Ed, I definitely am not unhappy with my purchase. This seems to be a great car, I was going to sell it for a profit, but it is possibly the nicest driving old car I have ever drove. Not a drop of wind noise or rattles..... Gotta keep it. Besides it is my two adult boys favorite car and they are pumped up as well. Really enjoying everyone here.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
On 11/4/2018 at 7:16 PM, NC68Riviera said:

We drove The Aqua Zephyr to the NC Cotton Festival Car Show in Dunn, NC this past weekend. We took home a "Best Original" class trophy, which was completely unexpected! 

20181103_111517.thumb.jpg.4dff98df962c07679841b092bf89d777.jpg

20181103_152640.thumb.jpg.4fcb1be61ac51af720b8184128be3a76.jpg

20181103_152627.thumb.jpg.5f07be3ee4bb5c3d88b4f279e7888be1.jpg

Congrats, Car looks great.

 

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, crowvet said:

Congrats, Car looks great.

 

Another outstanding recognition for the Aqua Zephyr. Good job!

RRB

5 hours ago, crowvet said:

Thank you for the information, The Corvette was pricey but didn't require near the research to find. I figure I need about 2 or $3000 on the minor stuff, to make it a pretty nice driver/ show and shine quality. It is the paint that is going to be the killer. But, it will get done and I am like you I will probably keep going until it is perfect. The Corvette is to the point that there is nothing more I can do, and that somewhat bores me.

Daryle, paint is one item I’m satisfied with how it looks on my exterior. I’m far from even being conversant on the many options on auto exterior paint. One shop just threw out a figure of $15000 to paint my car. I think the manager of the shop wanted to get rid of me. Fifteen thousand just seems like a lot of money for a paint job.

RRB

  • Thanks 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Red Riviera Bob said:

Another outstanding recognition for the Aqua Zephyr. Good job!

RRB

Daryle, paint is one item I’m satisfied with how it looks on my exterior. I’m far from even being conversant on the many options on auto exterior paint. One shop just threw out a figure of $15000 to paint my car. I think the manager of the shop wanted to get rid of me. Fifteen thousand just seems like a lot of money for a paint job.

RRB

I paid 10,000 on my Corvette in 2005. And I thought that was a lot. I did get a lot for that money though. It was totally stripped inside and out. I am not taking the Riviera to that level, I simply want the minor body work it needs and a respray. More of a car to enjoy and not be so picky with.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
×
×
  • Create New...