Electronic Bugle

Bill Stoneberg

I took the June Bugle on the 1959 Buicks and converted into an electronic magazine.

My question to you all, especially the members overseas, is would you like to see your Bugle like this especially if you got it 4 - 6 weeks earlier ?

Anyone else, could you live with this and not get your real Bugle ?

Understand me please, we are not taking away you hard copy so dont get all worried, we are just looking at a different way of delivering it TO THOSE WHO WANT IT.

I wouldn't mind reading it like this but I will get into a major fight with my wife who likes the real hardcopy.

This will be up for 5 days and then it will go away as it is just a trial. ID and password to access it is below.

Login to the Client Area to view your presentation: http://www.flashbooklet.com/clientarea/

username: bill.stoneberg@gmail.com

Password: qssoqses

Tell me what you think and I will pass it along.

PS If you are not a BCA member, would seeing a example copy of the Bugle help you decide to join or not ?

Thanks

Bill

Guest invicta592

Overseas member here, and I'd love to see it earlier, especially as any discussion about articles in the Bugle is usually ancient history by the time I receive it, not to mention any interesting things in the FOR SALE section!

I'd still like to have my hard copy, of course, but this electronic format looks great and so much easier to read than a straightforward PDF or Word DOC. It also means I could read it online during lunch break at work, but don't tell anyone ;)

Dave

Guest sintid58

I would accept an electronic Bugle over the paper one to save the BCA money during these hard times. They could be saved to a flash drive and take up much less space to keep than the paper ones. You could also print them if you wanted to or print certain articles that you wanted to have access to. Could be a big money saver for The BCA.

Pretty slick and quick to load. From a technical perspective, it is nice and, like the overseas members, I'd like to see things a bit earlier...the ads are the sticky bit if there is a car you are actually actively looking for.

As I also have a country home without Internet access and for reading material while traveling, I'm not sure that I would be ready to give up the printed version yet.

We had this discussion a number of years ago with our local club. At the time, dues were $36/yr and about $20 of that went to support the publishing of the newsletter. The executive proposed a $2 annual increase with a $2 discount to those willing to receive the electronic copy only. There were claims of discrimination against those without Internet access or with dialup connections and the plan was scrapped. So, for the same membership dues, you can choose electronic only, paper only, or both. I take both for the moment as it means I don't have to print it up myself if I want a hard copy of anything (and I don't think it is right to pay the same as someone receiving a paper copy if over half my dues go to supporting the paper copy).

I would have to seriously consider this not just from the perspective of the BCA, but also from a personal cost perspective if it allowed me to remain a full-fledged member, but pay the same dues as my American friends (or very nearly so) as my dues are higher to reflect higher cost of postage to Canada. I believe that would cut the cost roughly in half for me.

At any rate, I don't know yet if I would jump at the chance, but would certainly consider receiving an electronic format.

Great idea Bill.

As long as access to the electronic copy is BCA member password protected it should work. Otherwise if everybody can access it, there will be a potential loss of BCA membership as I suspect that a lot of people join and remain members mainly due to the included subscription to the Bugle. Additionally the "Sample" copy you speak of would need to be limited to one time acess to a copy.

Hopefully there will be a significant number of people that will elect to no longer receive a hard copy which would equate to a savings in printing and mailing cost. You can bet your sweet bippie I won't be one of them though. Otherwise, it sounds good. so "Sock it to me".......

Edited by MrEarl
is it bippie or bippy (see edit history)

With so much on a computer these days I prefer a magazine or book. For instance, I went into a Buick dealership to get a new LaCrosse brochure. I like to see the high quality photos and see which option package I want, colors are more real.

They were out.

The sale lady said she could email me one. 1st, it did not come up. 2nd, if it had, it would have been less vivid and helpful. How can you flip back and forth.

So, I would prefer a paper Bugle.

I can go either way on this. I already receive my local HCCA & BCA newsletters via email and the BCA PreWar division newsletter is only available via email.

If saving the club money is the goal, we should consider making the Bugle a bi-monthly magazine. This would provide significant savings on printing and postage if it is printed only six times per year.

Count me in Bill. :D

It would be ideal for Overseas members like myself.

Why not trial it for 6 or 12 months ...........then it would give those with reservations about the idea the chance to get used to it.

If it was password protected as suggested I think it would be an ideal way of everyone getting access to the Bugle at the same time.

And it could save money for the club if members elected to opt out of receiving a hard copy ( as I suggested that could be optional).

Reducing the number of printed copies would save on postage buy may push up the cost per unit of the rest. The first 100 copies cost a lot. The last 100 are pennies once the print machines are rolling.

For those of us not in USA dues are US$88.00 air mail vs US$40 if in USA per year. (I aways pay for 3 years at a time. Am now very sorry did pay up for life membership some years ago)

How much would the annnual dues really drop ? Not a lot is my guess. The BCA annual profit & loss may improve a little

For all that the dues are low in my veiw compared to a cup of coffe or buying a car magazine in a shop. How many monthly magazines can you buy for $40 ?

Getting it faster would the big improvement for me.

Allan

BCA12760

I like hard copys of any publication for the fact that, if cared for they will last for many years, and things can be referenced many years later. In the internet world, things are here today, and gone tommorow. Not that I may not take a peak from time to time at an internet copy. Just that I will not give up my hard copy with out a major battle. Dandy Dave!

Bill,

I would still want the hard copy version personally but see where a password protected electronic version would help many others. If server space is not a problem you could also set up an electronic archive of back issues for free member access or download-for-fee to the public. Bear in mind that I have no clue how much work that would be for a programmer.

Bill,

Lots of good comments here. In my mind there are several goals .

* Keep the Hard Copy Bugle which is the Flagship Of the Fleet

* Provide a differant venue that might better serve members or attract new ones.

* Provide quicker service to our fellow members outside the Lower 48

* The possibilty to control costs

RY

I like the electronic copy. Yet, it's possible that the number of members who are "on line" is so small, that savings would be negligible. Is there a target reduction number ( in printed material) that makes this a positive economic solution? If it is large, like a thousand or so less printed Bugles, it may be difficult to find that many people even on line.

Still, I see benefits for those not recieving the Bugle timely due to circumstances outside the control of the Club.

Bill,

I was a bit late seeing this and thought I better chimne in quickly. My first reaction is I preferred thge hard copy. But I am always reminded by my wife to stop saving stuff. So, I think the e-copy would work for quicker delivery and it would require some sort of loading onto a Cd or disk for storage.

Now that I think about it, anyone want to volunteer to make all my old copies electronic so they can be eliminated and make my wife really happy?

Seriously, I think it would work, especially since Pete and others mentioned that the July iussue should be home after we are back from Colorado. They are still not to CT.

John

I just joined tonight because of the high quality of the on-line version, I was able to see what I was missing. The article on the Buick that slept for 53 years...wow!

I was going to join anyways but I don't have the car yet and was going to wait a bit.

It was the experience of reading and seeing what was offered in the Bugle that made me to jump on it, can't wait now for my hard copy.

So all that being said, as a new member, I think that the on-line version is great and can be used to attract new members as an example (maybe use just one example), they get to see what it looks like but surely there will always be a need for the tactile feel of the mag in your hand....not to mention that great feeling of when you see it in the mailbox.

Great idea!

I'm still waiting for the july issue and will be for another 2 weeks. :(

Save the hardcopy and the postage, but give me the right to order a back issue sent, if there realy is an article I can't live without.

regards

Erik

Guest COMPACTBC

I believe this was discussed at length at the B.O.D. meeting in Colorado Springs, and the end result was we would loose a lot of the paid advertising that the Bugle lives on. So the idea was scraped.

Guest COMPACTBC

I believe this was discussed at length at the B.O.D. meeting in Colorado Springs and the concenses was the the Bugle would loose a lot of the paid advertising it now gets if this happened. So the idea was scraped.

No, this is incorrect. We are looking at it and discussing BUT ONLY FOR PEOPLE WHO WANT IT. We are not going to take away your Bugle.

But one of the challenges we have is protecting our Intelectual property (The Bugle) from people who are not mamebers. We dont want to open it up to eveyone so we lose money.

Stay tuned folks, we are working through these issues.

When I want something, I usually expect to pay for it. If someone wants the added benefit of an electronic copy, let them pay for it. Advertisers should have no problem with this. And I myself would likely pay say a buck a month/12 a year to have an e-copy, giving me the advantage of possibly catching an advertised 54 Buick earlier than those waiting on the US Mail to deliver their hard copy. :)

Lot's to figure out though I know.

Bill,

I agree with Mr Earl....Should You Want/You Should Pay.

Mr Earl,

Don't forget the advantage of possibly catching an advertised 92-93 Riviera earlier, also!

I don't see the problem...

Keep the adds in the electronic issue...

Don't make electronic version available to non full rate paid members.

Add a fee for the extra feature to all members who want it but don't charge those who don't.

To access the electronic version, setup a paid subscriber system with access codes (username & PW)

The only down side is that even if you don't want the hard copy you still have to pay full fare plus the extra fee for just the electronic version.

I guess what people are worried about is having a cheaper non full rate version available thus losing revenues. It may be risky but I believe the demographics here are such that most will want to be a full member anyway and have full access to the hard copy and the other benefits to membership. That being said I believe at least the model I outlined would work.

my $0.02

Bob - did you notice what your rates were compared to US members? As it was explained to me quite some time ago, the difference is simply attributable to the extra cost of mailing to those of us privileged to live north of the border. If I were to opt for electronic only Bugles, then I would expect to pay the same rate for membership.

There are a variety of issues to deal with. Were we to go with an electronic Bugle, there would be members who want:

• stick with hard copy only (those without high speed Internet access and / or can't be bothered
  • electronic only - most beneficial financially for non-US based members
  • electronic and hard copy - advantage of earlier access to Bugle, but retains hard copy for whatever reason

Additionally, there are the extra issues to deal with. As mentioned, there is the IP question. That is a curious thing, since if a member loses or gives away a recent Bugle, the intellectual property is gone with it. The key point of this would be to ensure that online access is only given to paid BCA members (and advertisers I presume should they so want). If the ads are included in the online version, then the added benefit to an advertiser with a web site is that a member is probably more likely to visit their site immediately on seeing the ad rather than if they were using the print copy, so there is a way of selling that concept.

Presuming the BCA already has something in place for web hosting (whether done internally or via a hosting contract), there would be negligible incremental cost in an electronic version - I don't see why it would make sense to increase dues for members with the electronic version and I would be opposed to it.

The big question is what proportion of BCA members would opt out of receiving the printed version were that offered. This is not the place for that sort of a poll as this group is not comprised exclusively of BCA members and it would be a biased population toward those with (high-speed) Internet access. Unfortunately, putting together a paper based survey would take time and would receive limited responses. However, it may be a representative sample. With that data, the publishing contracts could be reviewed with a look to whether or not cost savings to the BCA would be accrued.

Guest Dans 77 Limited

Im not quite as computer literate as some of you. You may have noticed that since the board change over Ive lost all of the photos that used to go along with my posts. (The 57 "Winner that looks the part" and the pic of my 77 right after I first bought it) . My computer goes through fits from time to time and I would prefer to not have to rely on it for anything. Its a playtoy , not anything more or anything less. I for one would prefer to find my Bugle in my mail box not my E mail box.

Just my 2 cents

Guest Dan Cook

I can agree with Dan. I use my computer for enjoyment and keeping in contact with my friends and the other rascals as someone puts it. I hate passwords but I have to write them down and use them.

The Bugle is about my only way to keep up with the BCA other than here but I would use an e-copy if made available but I like seeing the pile getting taller month by month.

I tried joining a local chapter (local meaning 300 miles away) but that didn't seem to pan out. I thought I would at least receive a newsletter occasionally or something in my email so I knew what was happening in the NW. The Bugle lists some of the events so at least I stay current even if I can't go.

In the long run I would prefer the magazine in the mail too even if I have to wait. Why not ask for donations to help out? Maybe add small incentives like decals or whatever to help build the fund. I know not everyone could afford to donate but many of us probably would.

Dan

I could live with the electronic copy only as long as it is in the demonstrated format, is always available and searchable or is downloadable to my hardrive. It shjould also have the ability to save or copy photos or text for later use. The hard copy arrives, is read, then moved to increasingly obscure stacks and finally discarded. Even if I save an issue I can never find it or the article that I need.

I would think advertizers would go for this option if there is a clickable link to their web page or email.

Willie