Please use your real name in your display name

Peter Gariepy

For 2008 I respectfully request regular users of this forum use real names in your "Display Name" and include club affiliations in your signature. You can make both of these changes in "My Stuff: My Profile".

This is NOT mandatory.

Why you ask? (I know you guys too well) smile.gif Two reasons. 1. I simply would like to know with whom I'm chatting. 2. Anonymous posts can be negative.

Thanks,

Peter

Peter, why not just ask for an AACA membership number, or club membership number for the other clubs that use this forum? Not everyone wants their name attached. I get plenty of junk mail now, I dont need the Nokia guys or shoe salesmen loading my mailbox. That way HQ or the individual club can easily police the problems you refer to.

I'm a Computer Dummie First Class. Why in the world should I put my name on every post I make on this Forum? How will you know the name a person posts is in fact that person? What's with the Big Brother deal? This site DESPERTLY needs people to post & reply, WHY chase them away?

nearchocolatown... the only way you get junk mail is if you post your email address. I didnt ask that you post your email address.

1937hd45... "This site DESPERTLY needs people to post & reply, WHY chase them away?" How would my request prevent replies or chase people away?

Dynaflash8... "Anybody on here who doesn't know who Dynaflash8 really is by now just hasn't been on the site very long. Let's keep it simple. " . What about the new folks?

1937hd45... your are assuming people know what "HD" means or even "dynaflash". Why not post interests in the signature like so many others do?

I know, and there is no way someone reading it an hour from now can post a reply. They will have to attach a reply to this post, if you attach this to the upper one they will have to start another thread. If you get your wish and there are 4-6 people with the same sirname will they get their own Forum? We wouldn't want Hatfields and McCoys on the same Forum would we?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Bhigdog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

What's the problem. I'm proud of my cars, my comments, my accomplishments, and my name............Bob Beck </div></div>

Me too. I see no problem with what Peter has asked us to do. I did PM him to ask if we could keep our display nicknames if we added our real name to our signature line (which I had done the last time he asked us to do this). As you can see he added that we could do that.

Peter does a lot for all of us in keeping this forum up and running so well. I think it is a small thing that he is asking us to do.

Peter,

This Internet Forum thing is still going through the growing stage and anonymity is still important to

people. Like in school when kids would yell out

insults from the back row and then remain silent when

asked to repeat it. Remember CB Handles? Then the

CB got real trashy because every Yayhoo that could

get a bigger radio could force his opinion over

the airwaves.

Some people prefer to be “Big Dog” or “Chevy Man” as

an alter ego. It gives them a voice without being

totally responsible for their opinions.

That’s OK with me, it adds to the discussion. But I

give more credibility to the opinion written by a person who is proud of their name and their opinion. It also allows me to recognize them when I meet them at an

AACA function. If they tell me they are Joe Goodguy but

I may know them as “Big Dog”, I probably won’t remember

the Big Dog posts because I treat that as not a real

person and not worth remembering.

That’s my opinion and that’s my name below.

One of these days I plan to open up on the edge of your hometown a icecream shop all dressed up like a restored gasoline station. By using part of the "Wowabunga Rest Station" company name in the web forums I frequent.... I guess you could say this a form of subtle conditioning for good things yet to come.

If yee must know who I am... stop in the green field GCE42-45 and sit a spell and tell me all you know.

Ramblin Randy

Head Cowhand

www.wowabunga.com/fun/whooptie

Guest carmagreviews

Anybody want to know about me and who i really am go to my site go to 'about section' and the cartoon of me looks exactly like me:)

Cheers Julian

Peter, I respect your right to ask for the posters to use their own name.

To the persons who do not wish to comply, that is your choise, why are you making such a big deal out of it?

When you enter a persons house and they express their wish that you do not smoke, do you question them?

Roger

I use my real name as my screen name in every discussion forum of which I'm a member. I see no problems with that and have had exactly 0 problems with spam/junk mail/identity theft. I'm way out there in the public eye, so to speak, and I don't see a problem. Heck, with just a little searching on my web page, you can find out my name, where I live, my wife's name, what I do for a living and what kinds of cars I have sitting in the driveway.

I don't mind screen names, but I'd like to know who you guys are. I always feel kind of stupid addressing someone by their screen name instead of the real name when I'm composing a post.

And I agree--bullies never use their real names on message boards (NOTE: I am NOT singling anyone out here, just an observation from other forums!). I don't think we have any bullies here, but I do see louder voices and smart-alec remarks coming from the anonymous ones more than those with names attached.

In fact, the only problem I've ever had on any board was from an anonymous tough guy threatening my wife because of my political views, and he vanished permanently as soon as I shined the light on him. I doubt he would have been so bold if I knew his name the way he knew mine (and my wife's). If you think putting my name out there is a liability on my part because of this, I disagree. It was just one Internet tough guy out of millions.

toughguy.jpg

What's the harm in simply putting your name (even your first name) in your signature? We're in a club together, for pete's sake. We're all here for the same reason, so why not be friendly about it?

resons I'm not in favor of attaching my name.

1. Too easy for someone to find my belongings is I post "Hey I'll see you in Philly on the xTH of Feb." This way I don't have to guard what I say as much. I know of several people that watch the fourm but don't post. Fortunely, they are honest people (I hope) wink.gif but you never know who's watching.

2. Even in everyday life most people that know me, but can't remember my name for whatever reason usually remember I'm the guy with the Chevy II Novas.

3. Anyone that would like to get to know me better (including name) can PM or email me.

4. <span style="font-weight: bold">Even if I do post my real name, Ya'll won't use it anyways. Most all of you that do know me don't use it anyways, you use a "username/nickname".

The name's <span style="font-size: 26pt"> David</span> not <span style="font-size: 17pt">Dave </span> </span> crazy.gifmad.gifcrazy.gif

putting soapbox away....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: novaman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">resons I'm not in favor of attaching my name.

1. Too easy for someone to find my belongings is I post "Hey I'll see you in Philly on the xTH of Feb." This way I don't have to guard what I say as much. I know of several people that watch the fourm but don't post. Fortunely, they are honest people (I hope) wink.gif but you never know who's watching.</div></div>

Novaman makes a very valid point about having one's full name posted here and personal security.

Having one's full name and city/state posted in one place does make it easy for dishonest people.

Believe it or not there are web sites out there that one can very easily locate people using some or all of this information. Heck, just Google your first and last names and see what others can learn about you.

I do not mean to scare anyone here, just educate.

Heck even the Federal Government FINALLY wised up this year. They redesigned the W2 forms so that a person's Social Security number no longer appears directly above their name and address. I suppose it finally DAWNED on someone within the government that having the SSN located there was a security issue. This is especially true when a business uses envelopes with clear windows to mail the W2s and the W2s moved down slightly. Then anyone and their brother could see all they need to see to steal someone's identity. Glad they finally realized their mistake and corrected it.

Like Peter said, it is only a request to use one's real name. If one wants to change it, fine. If not, no big deal.

Guest windjamer

I try to never say anything I dont mean or dont think I can back up, Its been said im not bashfull and I NEVER say anything behind your back that I dont dare say to your face,so I have no problem with signing my name.I will admit to being a computer dummy, so maby I didnt get it in my profile,BUT I tryed. This post should tell me if I done it right. DAVE,, a rose by any outher name is still a rose. Dick

I understand the concerns for privacy and have no issue with those that want to keep their name anonymous.

With that said - I've been running this forum with my name in clear view for 11 years. On top of that, I have a unique name, if you "google" it you'll find all my dirty laundry. From my address, to what companies I've run, websites i've managed, jobs I've advertised, etc. etc. I'm WAAAAAYYYY exposed -- yet I've never had a lick of trouble.

Certainly there remains a risk, but from my personal experience its pretty nominal. The upside is - I've met 100+ people because of this forum. One of the best perks of being the webmaster around here - the people! And they know my name - not my handle.

---

On a side note - I read an article years ago that the chances of your credit card being stolen online was 1/250th of it being stolen when you call an order into a company via the phone, or when you hand it over the counter to a clerk. The point is, the real world is were you are more likely to have problems.

Oh, another side note - my father went to the grocery store on Christmas Eve, and thought he had his wallet stolen. Yesterday he found his wallet in his mailbox. Nothing missing, including the cash. Not sure how germaine it is to this subject, but it does show most people are honest. That's the optimist coming out of me I guess. smile.gif

----

My request stands - i'd love to know who I'm chatting with - and so would others. This is a community site, and communities are about new and old friendships. Names are a great way to identify ourselves - here and in the real world. smile.gif

(Getting off my soapbox now)

I do not have a problem with using my real name on this forum and have been doing so since I registered February 13, 2000. In the nearly eight years that my name has been associated with this forum I have not had one negative experience. Think of it this way, those of you who are members of large car clubs that publish yearly rosters your name, address, phone number, and cars owed, are published and distributed for anybody to read who happens to get their hands on the roster. You never know where those rosters might end up after the original owner discards them. Just a thought, and on this site your address is not included - unless you disclose the information.

I can understand your desire to create a community where each person is "real" as opposed to a cyber-personality with all its associated anonymity, however I have a point learned from experience.

I moderated an "off-topic forum" on another vehicle related web site, which was very much an open subject discussion forum, with a few exceptions i.e religion, politics & sex. I discovered that there are people out there who follow other people from web site to web site following an earlier fall-out just to cause mischief for them. We had / have members who used their own names or the same handle on each web site, which in turn made it easy for the protagonists to identify them and start their nonsense all over again. Some of it got very nasty and created not only work for the management, but also caused a lot of dismay from the regular members having to watch this happen.

Please let me stress this situation wasn't happening all the time, but enough to be a pain and as far as I'm concerned I now wouldn't use my personal name on anything to do with the www - but as I say that's only my experience.

I can see what you're attempting to achieve and I hope you are successful in moving this idea forward, certainly there are others here with a very positive outlook to your suggestion, and that's always a pleasure to see.

Argyll.

Argyll,

Glad to have someone here who understands the balancing act moderators needs to perform. After many years, the AACA eliminated the off-topic discussion forum. precisely because it created more ill-will than all the other forums combined, not to mention 95% of the work and headaches for the moderators. Since our "Misc Chat" forum was deleted it's really been a joy to moderate the forums again.

Relative to the protagonists. They are certainly real, I cant dispute that. But as long as forums stay on subject (CARS!) its kept to a minimum. Bring in religion, politics, etc. is when it gets out of hand.

Thanks again.

Peter

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peter Gariepy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

...On top of that, I have a unique name,...</div></div>

You are the first, and only, person that I know with that name. What is the country of origin for it?

Linden (my married name) is a shortened version of Von der Linden which was Prussian. Woodford (my maiden name) is English.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peter Gariepy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">On a side note - I read an article years ago that the chances of your credit card being stolen online was 1/250th of it being stolen when you call an order into a company via the phone, or when you hand it over the counter to a clerk. The point is, the real world is were you are more likely to have problems. </div></div>

I suspect that this article is VERY outdated by now and the odds are MUCH, MUCH higher these days.

I have close friends that (unfortunately) have first hand experience with this.

They used a credit card to purchase auto parts on-line on a SECURE web site.

A couple of months later they came home one day and found a TV satellite earth station had been delivered.

They found out that someone had used their credit card to try to purchase FOUR of these systems.

Lucky for them, the company selling the systems had a policy of only shipping purchases to the billing address on the credit card.

That prevented the shipment of the other three systems overseas.

They returned the system and had the credit card account closed (Boy was that a headache and pain in the you-know-what.)

Needless to say they no longer order from that company and neither do any of their friends.

Personally, I use the internet a lot for shopping and other tasks. I also use the Discover Card feature "Secure On-Line Account Numbers".

This feature generates a unique, one use only Discover card number that is tied to your account for just that one transaction.

That way, if a company's web site is hacked or their credit card transactions are misplaced, I am more protected.

It is sad that we live in a world like this but we do.

Knowing what my friends have gone through makes me take a second look at security when doing business on the internet.

Working for more than 27+ years in the Information Technology field also tends to make me more aware of security issues than most people.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mark Huston</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Think of it this way, those of you who are members of large car clubs that publish yearly rosters your name, address, phone number, and cars owed, are published and distributed for anybody to read who happens to get their hands on the roster. You never know where those rosters might end up after the original owner discards them. </div></div>

More and more clubs have stopped publishing lists like this and have adopted very strict rules regarding the security of personal information and it's use. Just like many companies, clubs have become more aware of the legal ramifications of not having and enforcing these policies.

What about the new people? If they tune in and stay on the site, they'll learn who I am soon enough. And, if they really have a need to know they can always ask me. So, if those here now really have a need to know my name, fine, I'll sign this message. But, I like Dynaflash8, the signature name of a '39 Buick engine and that is who I am.

After all, my last name is a long, cumbersome name that nobody can pronounce until I tell them, and then they can't remember how to pronouce it, plus it has two completely different pronounciations (French and English). As I said, let's keep it simple. AACA isn't the IRS.

Earl Beauchamp Jr

I am Mork from Ork!

(that's my real name!, really! LOL!)

You can't trust that someone will put the real name down, also, people could just use their first name or a nickname it, would be better than the full name. The time to do this, though, was when the forum started and maybe for people joining up from now on!