Please use your real name in your display name

Peter Gariepy

I suppose I could use my right name but where would be the fun in that???

The name Rusty O'Toole is supposed to be funny. It is also supposed to indicate that I am interested in the technical side of old cars, and answering tech and repair questions.

If you really want to know my name is Maurice Grant Lubben. I'm a boy of 56 and I live in a boring little town in Canada.

I know you must be thrilled to know that. But for me, I prefer using a made up name.

Guest imported_MrEarl

That's what I was thinking too Willie. So Peter, why not just restore that option and ask everyone to insert their real name there. And while you're at it ask them to complete other areas of their profile that would let us get to know each other better. such as Birthdays, geographic location, hobbies/interests etc.

<span style="color: #3333FF"> Well now, some may call me, Joe

Some may call me, Moe

Just remember Lamar Brown,

He don't never take it slow

Well now, my real name is Lamar Brown, but all my friends just call me MrEarl</span>

Guest imported_MrEarl

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: carmagreviews</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Anybody want to know about me and who i really am go to my site go to 'about section' and the cartoon of me looks exactly like me:)

Cheers Julian </div></div>

Julian, very interesting guy you are. I spent about 45 minutes on your site. It too is very interesting.

Cheers

Guest 53Bob76R

NOOO.........Lamar......don't ask to go back. I lost my ID in the change the first time........and am hoping my "new member" status will change soon!!......However.......I am Type "O" Positive if that helps the forum!!

I agree with Novaman on this one Peter. On a personal level, feel free to email me and I will respond with my name. As Novaman said, we know each other for the most part. It's a matter of personal security. I have enough personal information out there for the thieves, and do know that all of these forum posts come up in a search engine query.

So drop me a line and we can chat, otherwise, enjoy the forum.

Jaxops.

Guest ChopShopCustoms

I actually post my name as I am listing under the auspices of my shop (sometimes) BUT one of the many reasons message boards are out there is to be able to have that element of anonyminity.... Where you can post how you feel and not be concerned about some whacko showing up at your house with a shotgun....

I thik if you have chosen to list your name then good for you - if not- thats OK too.

Nothing wrong with PM ing someone once you have developed comunication with them to find out who they are smile.gif

<span style="color: #3333FF">I`ve followed this thread with interest, and can see both sides of the issue. But I was saddened by some of the thoughts, in particular...</span>

I give more credibility to the opinion written by a person who is proud of their name ...

If they tell me they are Joe ... but

I may know them as “Big Dog”, I probably won’t remember

the Big Dog posts because I treat that as not a real

person and not worth remembering.

<span style="color: #3333FF">What saddened me was after reading the post by Argyll. I personally know Argyll, and think it a loss to anyone who would discount his vast knowledge, his friendship, or his help, simply because he did not post his given name. One would be hard-pressed to find, on ANY continent, an individual of his calibur. And I am VERY glad to be one of the people he calls "friend".

This site, as with others I visit, are collections of people with similar interests. The idea is to share our experiences, our views, our friendship. Too lean on each other for support at times, learn from each other, and to offer help when we can.

But PLEASE do not count me anything less simply based on the fact that I go by "old gto".</span>

Peter, I know this is splitting hairs but... Tom, Fred, and Bob are nothing more than handles/nicknames for Thomas, Fred, and Robert.

With the usernames I do agree that some are easier to remember than others. The harder ones tend to be the ones with numbers in them. Also with a user name you need to be careful how it can be deciphered as when Steve joined us here, some of us thought oldscarnut was a guy with a fetish for old scars then realized it was a car nut for Olds.

I've met several DFer members and I honestly can't remember their names to save my life, like Mr. Pushbutton (who has a Chevy II and therefore you'd think I could remember his real name)

Then there are those like Shoprat and ex9thdrill, BruceW that I met through the DF (although I had unknowingly once judged with Shoprat (and didn't remeber her name) before meeting on the DF.) who I've become closer friends with and know them by both names.

And of cousre, there are those like Bookreader, Dynaflash, AlK that I knew prior to the DF even exsisting.

Yes those that use thier names like Jim Bollman and Barry Wolk, I know their names but that doesn't mean I won't walk by Barry at Hershey and know who he is. Barry is nothing more than a handle for someone typing on a keyboard somewhere just like novaman is for me, to some that doesn't know me. (I've known Jim for 30+ years)

Remembering a name is all about the association of a name to an item. After all Football (a name of a sport) doesn't have the same association worldwide. In the US it is played with a pigskin, in Europe, it is played with a soccer ball.

novaman, not as an argument either way on names but I thought you may like to know I ran in to another novaman on a different forum. I thought for a minute that I might have found another of your hangouts and actually poked into the postings from that novaman and discovered he was from a different part of the country (maybe world, I don't remember now CRS again).

novaman just a quick reply that I have to insert. I have been a funeral director for 33 years. In this time I have registered approx 6000 deaths. 33 years ago I thought my family was unusual in that we had two christian or given (I refuse to use the word first) names of Don and Ron. That was their names on their birth certificates not Donald and Ronald. Since then I have discovered almost every nick name posssible used as a given name.

A long time ago I read a quote by some American, whom I have forgotten, "It's not the things we don't know but the things we know that ain't so that cause us the most problems".

By the way for those who might know or care my monnikers on other forums are:

"Ichabod" from 55 year ago 6'2" 125 lbs

"Bullrush" a reed, from 50 years ago

"Digger O'Dell" Some of you will remember from where

"Tinindian" Already explained in a previous post

"1911Commer" First truck my grandfather drove

"34DiamondT" First truck I ever drove

Your point is taken but I was trying to point out that in everyday life, we call a lot of people by a "handle" that is not their real name. Yes, there are Dons and Bobs that aren't Donald or Robert but there are still a number of them that are. Then there are some that "ride the fence" like my sister Debbie. It really isn't short for Deborah.(woohoo I saved typing a letter!) She gets called Deb sometimes and then if the person wants to act high society will call her Deborah which isn't her name either.

As Novaman said... we are splitting hairs here. I simply want to encourage people to share the name you go by in real life - if you so desire. If i see you face to face I'd sure love to address you as others do.

Thanks! smile.gif

Peter

AKA:

Pete

Peteé

BigPeter (don't go there)

Red (hair color)

Rocky (after Rocky Colavito, Detroit Tiger's baseball player)

Rock

Cliff (as in Rock Cliff - go figure)

Gariepy

Gorillapy (as i was affectionally called in high school)

Guest imported_PackardV8

Peter G. wrote:

"If i see you face to face I'd sure love to address you as others do."

Therin lies a dilemma. In my case, most names i am often called in real life would not be considered appropriate in this forum.

This IS an INTERNET forum and therefore not a structured environment. There is a lot i could say about this but won't. I doubt that upper management of the AACA understands the I'net.

Sooner or later, upper management will suddenly figure out that this magnificant Forum they have created has far more to offer the AACA (as a club and it's members) than what they are getting now by trying to micro-manage it as if were pages torn from Amy Vanderbilts Book of Etiquet.

PackardV8.

Please refer to my 2nd point in my original post. You are a perfect example.

If you have a lot to say on how to improve this forum I'm sure the AACA Board of Directors would love your input. Their contact information can be found at:

http://www.aaca.org/about/officers/default.aspx

Or go right to the Executive Director,

Steve Moskowitz.

501 W. Governor Rd

P.O. Box 417

Hershey, PA 17033

Phone (717) 534-1910

FAX: (717) 534-9101

aaca1@aaca.org

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Peter Gariepy</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Worth considering? smile.gif

</div></div>

Worth considering? Sorry, no. There are enough pieces of info floating around in cyberspace with my name attached to them. I don't wish to add another. Given current tendencies to "Google" your name when applying for a job, submitting an application, joining a club, etc, I would prefer to be able to control (and more importantly, limit) what information is available. But, as you say, you are currently offering us a choice.

Ed

Peter, with all this talk about names, I have become disenchanted with one poster.

I am talking about Rusty O'Toole. I thought he was a fine upstanding Irishman, now it seems that all along we have been reading posts from a rusty old tool. (LOL)

Maybe we should keep the nicknames, I'm sure most men would rather have an answer to their post from "Marilyn Monroe" then Norma Jeane Mortenson