What is the oddest option or feature you've seen on a car?

my65riv

1. The bud vase on any new or old VW bug.

2. The purse hook mounted to the dash board of early 1960's Buicks.

3. <span style="text-decoration: underline">Anything</span> that came with a 1956 Dodge LaFemme, especially the umbrellas.

4. The hard plastic seats in the bed of my Subaru Brat.

5. That stupid vacuum operated "fuel economy indicator light" which lit the left turn signal indicator when you stepped on the gas too hard in the 1975 Dodge Dart I had Drivers' Ed class in.

6. The side windows of a Subaru SVX.

The Fluid Drive, it almost 'drives itself' and the explination in the literature!

The 1930 something Studebaker ads which stated that the cars were powered by robots! And it had robots on the ad literature!

The Rumble Seat, Who would want to sit there?!!!

The 8 Track player (it takes half the car to store them!)

The Miles to Empty Gauge on my Mark V which only works once in a blue moon!

The Pickup truck conversion for 1940's Buisness coupes

The Spotlight-where do you use these things in a town? How are these practical!

Anything with the words- O-Matic attached!

spotlights were more useful years ago when the city only had streetlights in the commercial districts and it got dark quickly after you left that area. The immediate post-war cars had a lot of silly options screwed on to them, 'cause the car was sold the moment it arrived at the dealership, it might as well go out the door all dressed up.

Guest carmagreviews

In Japan a Built in Microwave is not uncommon in many modern cars due the time drivers spend in traffic jams on the way to book - it would be agreat to warm up the coffee!

Cheers Julian from NZ

Guest Hinckley

I worked at a VW dealership as a kid. One of the oddest things ever seen was an older Mercedes, left hand drive, with a four speed on the column - on the left side of the wheel!

"Wasn't there a Chrysler product with a record player in the dashboard? "

We had one in a 60 Dodge Pioneer

It was small took the place of the glove box.

It only played 45 rpm singles.

It was like a close and play.

You opened the glove box put the record in

then close the box and it played.

But when you opened up both AFB that were located on the ends of the long ram intake you could hear it anyway.

Some of the unusual ones not counting the typical tissue dispenser, continental tire kit, power windows, etc:

Dashboard compass, Remington auto/home shaver which operates off the 12 volt cigarette lighter or on 110 volt house current, Thermaster bottle which keeps liquids hot or cold for 8 hours, Thermaster refrigerator (ice chest), ladies purse holder, magnatray, autronic eye for automatically dimming the headlights, rear window defroster, Pontiac curb feelers, Indian-head hood ornament that lights up at night, under-hood light that rolls out to provide a light for changing a tire at night, etc. All documented factory items.

Guest Skyking

The clock in the steering wheel center on the 57 DeSotos

Swivel seats in 59 Plymouths

Telescopic steering wheels

Speedometers with mirrors to reverse the numbers in 60's Buicks

Hidden gas fillers in 56 - 57 Chevrolets

57 - 58 Olds

I think 58 - 59 Pontiac

Push Button drive in center steering wheel 58 Edsel

Ash tray in 57 - 58 Dodge that flipped around

50's Buicks with gas pedel starters

Rear windshield in mid-50's Mercury that went down

Reclining seats in all Nash cars

Lancia Aurelia of the 50's had 4 speed column shift to. even though it is part of a transaxle unit mounted to the body structure, (includes clutch and rear brakes also. Nardi did make floor shift conversions, but the original floor shift is so good that there is little advantage in it. My 1953 B22 4 door pillarless saloon has it's column shift, and it is a delight. Lancia engineering was impecable.

There was once a 12 cyl Enger at Bendigo. I saw the engine in the 1960's. It was an OHV of about 3 litres, and they had a lever on the steering column whereby you could decompress and shut down one bank if you did not need the extra power. The makers claimed 35mpg running as a six.

Ivan Saxton.

What caught my attention was when converts were out of production and Cadillac came up with the convertable top look for a vinyl top. Could never figure out why looking like a convert would be popular--it wasn't.

Guest 70 Electra

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: myrivnot4sale</div><div class="ubbcode-body">what is the oddest feature or option on a car you've seen?</div></div>

Surprised that nobody mentioned the Mirro-Magic instrument panel on the 1960-1 Buicks. The "instruments" that you viewed were actually a reflected image in a mirror...the REAL instruments faced forward and had backwards graphics.

The viewing mirror was adjustable to accomodate drivers of different sizes. A great gimmick from the era when GM was not afraid to be different!

I thought you wanted odd. The Crosley FarmOroad had the following list of options available and a few more.

Snow Plow

Post Hole Digger

Front Mount Chopper Mower

Skis for winter use on front wheels

Disk Harrow

Hay Rake

Gang Reel Mower

Cultivator

Dirt Plow

Sickle Mower

Front and Rear Power Take Off

Dump Box (Hydraulic)

Pickup Box

Dual Wheels

Spring Locks

Hydraulic Draw-Bar Rear

Chain Drive Draw-Bar Front

Pictures of some of these from a few years ago at the Crosley Nationals.

http://crosleyautoclub.com/04Nationals/Saturday/index.html

The fellow that owns the collection in the URL has managed to rig it so he can drive on the show with all the accessories even though most are not intend to use when the others are attached.

ShowTime04_011.jpg

Guest Hinckley

When I was a kid my paycheck came from cleaning cars at a VW dealership. One of the trade ins was an older Mercedes, left hand steering with a four speed shift on the left side of the steering column! I never got the hang of driving that thing.

Several years ago I bought a Japanese Toyota Surf halfcut, to put the turbo diesel engine in my earlier ute. There was an idiot cluster of instruments on the top centre of the dash. There were incline indicaters to show the honourable oriental driver whether he was likely to overtur along or across his axis: Presumably the altimeter was to show how far he was going to roll.

The elderly gentleman I bought the Roamer-Duesenberg from in the 60's showed me an altimeter from an Alfonso Hispano Suiza. Stuart Middlehurst was able to aquire it for his. So maybe they were considered useful in the Pyrennes before WW1

Ivan Saxton.

Of course, My Amphicar has 2 propellers, bilge pump, a separate hand and foot operated throttles, a paddle, 2 transmissions and a AM/FM/Shortwave/Marine band in-dash radio.

props.jpg

shifters.jpg

radio.jpg

An Amphibious camper was available too...

amphi_caravan.jpg

My '59 Skyliner has a hard top that fold into the trunk..

09topop.jpg

It also has an under-dash record player...

(Picture will be added later)

An after market device was available to hand you a lit cigarette from the unit mounted to the steering column.

ad6e_1.JPG