Duesenberg

Xander Wildeisen

No video.....lots of photos taken today, and I will share later tonight after the tour dinner. We did 230 miles on the Roadster today, on back roads..........to answer your question, yes your ass still gets sore sitting in a 1930 automobile for eight hours in a day.....but with this car, it’s easy to just live with the pain. Turned 38k on thr clock today, doing about 70mph.........photo was taken at 630 this morning in front of the Mount Washington Hotel.

A1B4421B-E8F7-4681-9803-85D56089DEEF.jpeg

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

57 minutes ago, edinmass said:

yes your ass still get sore sitting in a 1930 automobile for eight hours in a day

Reminds me of the time I asked my Wife how her doctor visit went.

Glad you posted the picture, I'll be reading Rolling Sculpture again tonight. Lucky to have the open car. I once heard the all time killer was the Eli Lilly coupe in hot weather. Seems like that story came to me back when the Blackhawk Collection was the big thing, 30 years ago maybe.

1 hour ago, mercer09 said:

Ed has such a terrible life.............

does anyone wish they could be Ed for a day?

:)

Gentelmen.....it was a 17.5 hour day today.......it’s not all champagne and caviar while on tour...........occasionally we have to rough it.......I had bottled water with lunch today........IN A PLASTIC BOTTLE! Talk about roughing it! 

As far as AJ being me for a day......it’s impossible. He doesn’t have the charming good looks and wonderful personality that I have........just ask my mom. And even Bill Gates money couldn’t get him looking half as good as I do. ?

• Like 2

Here’s a  Photo of something rarely seen today.  Driving down Route 302 in northern New Hampshire where there are no streetlights.  The old lights work well in total darkness. 

0997A7B8-E254-45B5-B486-DB84B6D28C24.jpeg

C8F4F321-7849-401E-82A8-3F8AE808B9F0.jpeg

FC9F9C36-D34B-49C3-97EC-FC5243F82A5D.jpeg

• Like 1

There’s about 25 cars on tour.  We did 230 miles today on back roads.  Most impressive was every single car made that mileage on the first day without anything being brought in on a hook.  I saw four flat tires on the side of the road.  I think every driver managed to get his own tire changed without help from anyone   It’s a great bunch of people.  There’s a bunch of hundred point and very high point cars.  All being used as intended.  There’s a wonderful lady driving the Duesenberg racecar  with its open cockpit and open wheels. ?

CE755A47-DF44-40D0-A8D2-A1986946F497.jpeg

• Like 1

There’s about 25 cars on tour.  We did 230 miles today on back roads.  Most impressive was every single car made that mileage on the first day without anything being brought in on a hook.  I saw four flat tires on the side of the road.  I think every driver managed to get his own tire changed without help from anyone   It’s a great bunch of people.  There’s a bunch of hundred point and very high point cars.  All being used as intended.  There’s a wonderful lady driving the Duesenberg racecar  with its open cockpit and open wheels.

?

Ed,

Thanks for posting photos and test, I am enjoying this a lot, many flat tires!, some are using 1930 tubes.

Same car taken exactly 2 years earlier  in the same location, at the same time of day, two years to the week at the same location.  With the top up, white wall tires and trunk rack on car. 

057B73E4-546B-4EF6-BC87-BFC141874949.jpeg

• Like 5

6 hours ago, edinmass said:

Here’s a  Photo of something rarely seen today.  Driving down Route 302 in northern New Hampshire where there are no streetlights.  The old lights work well in total darkness. 

0997A7B8-E254-45B5-B486-DB84B6D28C24.jpeg

C8F4F321-7849-401E-82A8-3F8AE808B9F0.jpeg

FC9F9C36-D34B-49C3-97EC-FC5243F82A5D.jpeg

Ed, I assume that you are using 32/50 CP bulbs which are pretty decent and what was in my 645 Packard DC that I used for everyday transportation in high school in the mid 1950's. They do a great job if the reflectors are not tarnished.

Thank you all for this thread, the stuff dreams are made of! 

Edinmass,  Those pictures of the black roadster/cabriolet(?) sure take me back to my youth when I would ride my bicycle over to Jack Passey's place and he would let me look at the cars. He had a similar car for a few of those years. I saw it and heard it outside several times. I always loved the look of that car! A simple nice clean look of understated elegance! And SPORTY as all get out! Over the years, I have seen probably twenty to thirty Duesenbergs at various showings and museums. However, that one of Jack's was always the one I liked best. I am sure a lot of people on this thread (and a couple other recent threads) would disagree with me, and that is fine.

21 hours ago, edinmass said:

There’s about 25 cars on tour.  We did 230 miles today on back roads.  Most impressive was every single car made that mileage on the first day without anything being brought in on a hook.  I saw four flat tires on the side of the road.  I think every driver managed to get his own tire changed without help from anyone   It’s a great bunch of people.  There’s a bunch of hundred point and very high point cars.  All being used as intended.  There’s a wonderful lady driving the Duesenberg racecar  with its open cockpit and open wheels. ?

Magnificent, Ed. Just awesome.

Little bit of rain yesterday, but it was mostly a mist and didn’t interfere with a great time. Visited a very nice post war collection, and went for a boat ride on Lake  Winnipesaukee. Today is a drive over to one of the best car collections in the world.........The Bahre Collection in Maine. 

It would be nice to know the history on the Duesenberg race car.

In 1927 Eddie Rickenbacker, who was president of the Indianapolis Speedway, wantedto move away from the super high performance cars like the Millers and Duesenbergs and make a more manufacturer race.  In 1926 no manufactures entered the race and the cars were becoming so sophisticated.. Rickenbacker feared losing the interest of the common man.

The 1930 race ushered in a series of substantially new engine rules and specifications. The allotted displacement was increased from 91 cu. in. (1.5 L)to 366 cu. in. (6.0 L). Superchargers were banned with the exception of two-cycle engines, and riding mechanics were made mandatory once again. In addition,  the traditional mandate of a maximum 33-car field was lifted.

The #66 car represents the success of this change.  Using a 1924 Duesenberg model A as a base, Benny Brandfon shortened and narrowed the chassis andmodified the engine for more horse power.  Engine #1585 was originally in Mrs. Duesenberg's private car.  In the following years, Brandfon, a garage and tow truck operator from New York raced the car on dirt and board tracks on the east coast from Georgia to
New Hampshire.  The car was last raced in 1937.  This #66 Duesenberg ran in the parade lap at the 2004 Indy 500.

8 cylinder, 260 ci, 88 hp
Two winfield carbs
Three speed tranny
Tube front axle
Live rear axle
Hydraulic brakes
2230 lbs.

Dusey#66.jpeg

Edited by 1950panhead (see edit history)
  • Like 1

did the orange  #66 ever make the INDY 500, looked in the Jack Fox book and couldn't find anything.

My Rich Taylor Indy 500 book says 38 cars ran in 1930, Joe Caccia and Bill Denver drove 260 ci Duesenbergs.

My guess is #66 did not run the race, I don't know what happened.

18 Millers were in the race taking first four places.

8 Duesenbergs were in the race, best finish was 5th.

12 other types ran the race.

The Millers were still the fastest cars even without supercharges, first place Miller used 152 ci engine.

On 9/16/2018 at 2:53 PM, Xander Wildeisen said:

edinmass, what is the story on the bumper? I have never seen a front bumper like that. ( on the black car above)

Spoke to the owner, it’s one of the first five cars......prototype bumper and a bunch of other stuff also! ?

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• 3 months later...

That tour has an amazing group of Duesenbergs! Is this an annual event? Who organizes it and what is it called? Thanks, Joel

Joel, It’s done  every other year.   It’s an invitation only event.  It’s all true hard  core  car guys. No trailer queens. They all run rain or shine. The drive LOTS of miles every day. We did 185 miles from 9am to 4pm  on small back country roads.  When you figure in the garage tours and lunch it’s a fast paced agenda.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, edinmass said:

Joel, It’s done  every other year.   It’s an invitation only event.  It’s all true hard  core  car guys. No trailer queens. They all run rain or shine. The drive LOTS of miles every day. We did 185 miles from 9am to 4pm  on small back country roads.  When you figure in the garage tours and lunch it’s a fast paced agenda.

That sounds like a really cool cruise! I like the Duesenberg driving thing, most people don't drive them much. I have the motor out of mine now for an overhaul, but when it's done, I'll be racking up the miles. 

pulling engine small.jpg

Edited by Joel1967
lysdexia (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I first saw this car on the White Field in Hershey back in the 80’s. It was a fantastic original. Bumped into it again this week while it was quietly resting in the garage waiting for spring to come up North. I like it even more today than when I first saw it some thirty years ago. In an effort to keep the owners privacy, I post an internet photo. Too many great cars of the 20’s are no longer appreciated. 

D805580B-5C90-495F-A75D-87EC0C4D3531.png

• Like 2

On 12/27/2018 at 9:02 PM, edinmass said:

I first saw this car on the White Field in Hershey back in the 80’s. It was a fantastic original. Bumped into it again this week while it was quietly resting in the garage waiting for spring to come up North. I like it even more today than when I first saw it some thirty years ago. In an effort to keep the owners privacy, I post an internet photo. Too many great cars of the 20’s are no longer appreciated. 

D805580B-5C90-495F-A75D-87EC0C4D3531.png

I was pretty use to it the way it was (original) when Shawn Miller owned it, though that being said the restoration it received was incredibly nice, so glad that when it was restored they really did do a decent job on it, completed it, and it is in the hands of someone who it sounds like will continue to use it.  There use to be the saying that if you were to restore a car you should find the best one on the globe to restore - unfortunately the 1960's -early 1980's took a toll on many wonderful original cars via falling into the hands of people who sort of half did them at best (this Duesenberg restoration was very well done and the car received the restoration it deserved - all be it I would have just tinkered with it and pretty much left it alone). 

Edited by John_Mereness (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

As I remember it, I would have left it alone. The Model A’s are great cars, and are often overlooked by many established collectors.

• Like 1

I remember when that Model A came up at auction a few years ago.  Really cool car.   As featured, I believe, in Fred Roe's Duesenberg book:

IMG_0064.JPG.97dc626c83f71c48d06b31e5c678d3e5.JPG

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)

• 11 months later...
On ‎9‎/‎16‎/‎2018 at 9:37 PM, SC38DLS said:

"Heading over the white and green mountains on the first day should be quite a challenge" 

Ed don't you mean it will be a real "DUESY !"  sorry cou;dn't resist.

Dave S  

If those cars are running the way they should,a mountainous drive should be a pleasure.

A slow opening intake cam timing may screw up your day and I hope there is none of that.

Bob Roller