1931 Buick Big Box of Engineering Drawings

midman

Well I picked up a 1931 Buick 90 series coupe last fall in Carlisle from a dealer who flipped the car after purchasing it in Michigan.

After some detective work I found the Michigan family who sold it and found that the car was purchased by their father in 1965 in Pennsylvania which is where I live, so the car is back home.

Anyway I contacted the family in Michigan and they mentioned that their father was a Buick engineer back in 1965 when he bought the car. He started pulling and printing microfiche engineering drawings for the car and had a file drawer full of them. They asked if I was interested and when I said I was, they asked a crazy price for the stuff. Anyway I offered what I thought was reasonable and eventually they agreed.

Long story short I have a lot of drawings with dimensions and material lists. Mostly for 1931 80 and 90 series but some smaller cars.

So if anyone needs something so they can recreate it contact me. I am not selling anything I will send a PDF of what you need if I have it. Please... This offer is for car owners, not for someone who wants to resell the stuff.

Just send me a message and let me know what you need. I am still going through the stuff so I may not be able to answer you right away, but if I have it I'll send it to you.

So far I found engine, water pump, gas cap, axle, brakes, wiring diagrams, wiper stuff, etc. an amazing amount of stuff. Also all the vehicle sales info from 1904 to 1950 along with all his notes and correspondence on the car I bought and some others he had.

Eventually I will donate everything to AACA if they want it but I want to make my way through everything and see what I might need.

let me know if there is any information you would like me to post also. I'll see if I have it.

Chuck

post-96840-143142534192_thumb.jpg

post-96840-143142534198_thumb.jpg

• Like 1

....Eventually I will donate everything to AACA if they want it but I want to make my way through everything and see what I might need.....

Very interesting documentation. As a professional mechanical engineer (with poor drafting skills) the work that went into these hand drawings is amazing. Anything 1939 interests me.

This may be a more appropriate home for this important documentation http://www.buickheritagealliance.org/

Edited by 1939_buick (see edit history)

You wouldn't happen to have come across anything for export models from around 1926? I haven't ever seen any doco on the export kits

Nothing specific. Some of the sales data refers to car models with an "X" at the end which I assume is for export but I'm not sure that's what it designates. Can someone clarify that?

On an unrelated note I found a 3 foot long wall chart showing the Buick chassis with all the grease and lube points on it circa 1931. Pretty cool I'll post a pic later.

• Like 1

Nothing specific. Some of the sales data refers to car models with an "X" at the end which I assume is for export but I'm not sure that's what it designates. Can someone clarify that?

On an unrelated note I found a 3 foot long wall chart showing the Buick chassis with all the grease and lube points on it circa 1931. Pretty cool I'll post a pic later.

Yes, the X designates built for export, some LHD and others RHD for Australia, UK, New Zealand, South Africa and some South American countries.

Hence the model designation for my 1936 Century Convertible Coupe is 36 66CX ( US models 36 66C )

Would be very interested in anything you turned up on 1936 Century.

That is an INCREDIBLE find!! Actually, my 1930 model 61 (essentially the same as a 1931 model 90) is missing the wiper tie rod assembly that you show. Evidentally, they powered the right wiper from the left one, using this tie rod arrangement. I would appreciate anything associated with it. Also, do you have any wood item drawings, or were those strictly Fisher Body material?

Very good of you to share this info. If you happen upon a drawing for a 1929 series 116 speedometer cable gear (the gear that connects to the end of the cable and meshes with the transmission gear) I could use that. I have a worn/broken one but getting dimensions from a drawing would be more accurate.

Thank you.

John

That is an INCREDIBLE find!! Actually, my 1930 model 61 (essentially the same as a 1931 model 90) is missing the wiper tie rod assembly that you show. Evidentally, they powered the right wiper from the left one, using this tie rod arrangement. I would appreciate anything associated with it. Also, do you have any wood item drawings, or were those strictly Fisher Body material?

Drawing sent

Midman:

I know we discussed you getting these drawings. As you are a new member of the Mason-Dixon chapter I would to congratulate you on the spirit you have shown in making these available to the club. To me this is what the hobby is all about.

You make me proud!

Larry

• 6 months later...
  • 11 months later...

Guys,

I wish I could help everyone with these old Buicks, but the stash only has 1931 material in it.

I've gone through everything and the drawings are on just about every mechanical part on the car. No body parts unfortunately.

Even found a blueprint for the dreaded exhaust manifold but my wallet ran away after enquiring on casting costs.

I am going to donate the drawings to the AACA or Buick Heritage (both at the Hershey library so I guess it doesn't matter), when my car is back together, so you will be able to get copies from them after that. Probably in March.

Mark, let me know what you need and I can email copies of the relevant drawings. There are over 200 blueprints so you will have to give me specific parts or assemblies you would need.

Chuck

• Like 1

Chuck,  thanks so much for your kindness and willingness to share.  This spring i purchased a 1931-57.  It was originally a Pennsylvania car btw.  Would you have any info in your find about the door latches?  Also, a wiring diagram would be fantastic.

Thanks for your time, Chuck!!

Blessings,

Jerry

Riviera,

The drawing states "all walls 3/16" thick unless otherwise specified" and "paint with Kemica manifold paint". there is also something written in the lower right hand block but it is smudged out and unreadable, Nothing else on the composition of the metal.

• Like 2

Chuck,  thanks so much for your kindness and willingness to share.  This spring i purchased a 1931-57.  It was originally a Pennsylvania car btw.  Would you have any info in your find about the door latches?  Also, a wiring diagram would be fantastic.

Thanks for your time, Chuck!!

Blessings,

Jerry

Jerry,

PM me your email address and I'll send you copies of the wiring diagrams.

Chuck

• 2 years later...
  • 3 months later...

Hi,

i know your post is 4 years old but I thought I’d give this a shot anyway.

I’m not having much luck finding the throttle linkage shown in this picture. 

It’s a linkage for the throttle to be operated from steering wheel.

Any drawings of this?

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete

Pete,

I went through the drawings and unfortunately I do not see anything for the steering column area.

I have mine apart right now so if you let me know what you are looking for I can take pictures or get dimensions.

Chuck

On 5/28/2018 at 9:08 AM, PETE JANNOTTA said:

Hi,

i know your post is 4 years old but I thought I’d give this a shot anyway.

I’m not having much luck finding the throttle linkage shown in this picture. 

It’s a linkage for the throttle to be operated from steering wheel.

Any drawings of this?

Any help or suggestions greatly appreciated.

Thanks,

Pete

Contact the Buick Heritage Alliance. They might have it.

http://www.buickheritagealliance.org/

• 6 months later...

Hi Chuck;  I'm actively restoring a 1931 Buick model 8-66S which I am documenting under the "Me and My Buick" forum.   I'm struggling with a couple of items and wonder if you have drawings.  The first item is the oil filter bracket which seems to be un-obtanium, so if you have a drawing of the oil filter bracket which I believe was used on 60/80/90 cars that would be very helpful.  The other item I'm looking for drawings of is the wiper system, particularly the inside the car control lever and it's mounting to the upper steel windshield header.  I have what I believe is the correct in-car lever assembly that has a chrome handle tab that inserts thru a small trim plate on the bottom of the windshield regulator board and the other end hooks to the lever on the wiper motor mount.    The mystery is there seems to be a missing an inter-mount bracket that attaches the lever mechanism to the windshield header or the other possibility is the lever assembly I have is not correct for the car.  Would you have drawings of the inside-car control assembly showing how it mounts to the upper metal windshield panel?  

If you have drawings that might help please E-mail to me a dkrugler@msn.com  

Thanks in advance for any help you can give...

Dave Krugler

BCA #20435

Inked31-Buick-66-S_Sport-DV-10-GG_e01-800[1]_LI.jpg

DSC_0001.JPG

DSC_0002.JPG

DSC_0003.JPG

Edited by Str8-8-Dave
correct text (see edit history)

Hi Dave,

I went through the drawings but unfortunately I do not have the 2 you are looking for. I think I have a set of oil filter mounting brackets though. I'll be out in the garage tomorrow and I'll take a look. That is assuming the filter is the same for 60 and 90 series cars. I will look at my restoration pictures out in the garage too. I might have taken a picture of the wiper motor lever assembly before I put it back together.

I'll Email you if I find anything.

Chuck

Hi Chuck;  I responded to your generous offer with my phone and thought I sent it off to you but don't see it here so if this is a repeat, sorry.  I'd greatly appreciate any pictures you have of the wiper control mounting on the windshield header.  Also really excited at the prospect you might have the oil filter bracket parts.  If you do and are willing to part with them I'd be happy to buy them from you.  If not willing to part with them some good pictures  would help.  Thanks again for your response...

Dave

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Dave,

Don’t give up on me. I haven’t been very active the last few weeks. The flu hit me hard. I’ve been out to the garage a couple of times but didn’t find the right box for the brackets.

I’ll find them.

Chuck

Hi Chuck;  Man- I feel for you on the flu, we got the upper respiratory version here and were down for 2 weeks with it.  No hurry on the filter brackets, when you feel better will be soon enough.  This car had no windshield in it when I got it and I had never had one out of the car or understood how the regulator board and windshield frame worked together to lift the windshield.  I found a supplier and bought a new windshield glass for the car made from the original Buick drawings, bought the cowl seal and some glass run from Bob's Automobilia in CA, built a new frame with the lift brackets from pictures and got the windshield assembly built up and installed it along with cowl and A-pillar seals in the car.  I'm waiting for paint for the pillar trims then I can finish the windshield install.  I had previously restored the windshield regulator board and Dave39MS from Georgia, who has an original car, fed me enough pictures and information to make a missing trim board that goes above the regulator board.  I figured out what I needed to know on the wiper control.  I was poking around in the car the other day and found 2 holes in the metal header above the windshield and low and behold the holes line up perfectly with the base bracket on the control so I now know how it mounts and it's installed in the car.   I have a wiper motor and the mounting bracket.  The last struggle before I can assemble all of this is replacement of the copper vacuum tube that is buried in the driver side a pillar wood.  I'm also looking for a right side wiper pivot but may improvise on that to use a MAC's tandem wiper kit intended for model A Ford closed cars but may be adaptable for the Buick.  I checked with the Wiperman who was the subject matter expert and source on the Buick wiper system parts  and he has exhausted all his stock so these are a struggle.  Thanks for your reply and I hope you feel better. 

Dave

Wshld 0039.JPG

Wshld 0044.JPG

Wshld 0045.JPG

Wshld 0046.JPG

Wshld 0047.jpg

Edited by Str8-8-Dave
add picture (see edit history)