Buick finned original valve cover

FYI. The bracket that secures the back of the compressor to the intake does not work on a single barrel intake manifold.  The bolt bosses on the single four barrel manifold and the dual quad manifold are in different places.  You’re better off trimming your original bracket if you’re adding the tall valve covers to a single four barrel engine.  

If you do have a dual quad car, good luck.

Ed

3 hours ago, RivNut said:

The bracket that secures the back of the compressor to the intake does not work on a single barrel intake manifold.

Oh Oh. That AC Bracket mounting hole is the one item I did not measure when purchasing the Intake from T/A Performance.

Too busy to install. But, I just measured the mounting hole and it's 3/8" further back. The diagonal bracket will most likely not reach that hole.

The intake manifold is provisioned with a multitude of ports and threaded mounting holes. There is a casting protrusion where the heater hose has to make a 90 degree bend.

Up until now, thought a direct swap and it would be w/o AC. Need to allocate some time for fabrication - Hmmm.

Bending might be an option if the bracket were not “L” shaped across the bottom. Bending it would create the hypotenuse of the right triangle so it would the need to be longer. But opening up the hole might be enough to make it work.

Maybe clearance the valve cover fins rather than modifying the A/C bracket?  Would cutting a 3/16" channel in the fins for the "L" of the bracket to sit in work?

9 minutes ago, Turbinator said:

Im not too bad with a coat hanger and acetylene torch.

As a youngster I was always amazed watching my father do that!  ;)

On 5/3/2024 at 12:41 AM, Seafoam65 said:

If your car didn't originally have finned aluminum valve covers and it has factory A/C, you will

also need to source the correct top  A/C bracket.

No one had the bracket made?

Posted (edited)
6 hours ago, Turbinator said:

No one had the bracket made?

Some time ago, Clark’s Corvair had a reproduction in their catalog.  It looked like a laser cut piece with a couple of bends in it.  Someone might call Calvin and ask him about his part #R277.

Also when you’re looking at the OE style finned covers, you should be aware that the 64/65 covers are different than the 66 covers.  Has to do with a “dent” in one corner of one bracket for California pollution hardware. The same California cover was used in the other 49 states.

IMG_2001.jpeg.caa44cd6287148a4ab4783eea2628237.jpeg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Here’s a picture of a 1966 aluminum cover. You can see where the “dent” is under the hose where it crosses over the valve cover.  This is the 1966 package that came with the single four barrel engine.  Chromed pancake air cleaner and aluminum covers

IMG_2002.jpeg.d13f6c6b8b5ab690f5f33520f01507cf.jpeg

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NTX5467 said:

(Perhaps some "flat strap" with a few correct bends and holes in the right places?  Sharp edges dressed-down, with "Air Cleaner Black" paint?)

Id say your idea has sufficient merit. If I had an original bracket I would be looking at the job. Thank you for your input.

Turbinator

What Calvin did NOT say in his ad was is this a bracket designed for use on a single four barrel manifold or is it a duplicate for replacing an original bracket for a two four barrel manifold.  From the posts above, it appears that tweaking was required for both.  

On 5/2/2024 at 11:19 PM, 64 rivy said:

hello looking for original 425 engine original finned valve covers for 64 riviera thanks 

I thought that someone out there is making reproduction ones.

IMG_3360.jpg

On 5/2/2024 at 10:19 PM, 64 rivy said:

hello looking for original 425 engine original finned valve covers for 64 riviera thanks 

Russ and Matt Martin @ Centervilleauto.com or TA Performance should good used or reproductions of the originals.  Others like O’Brien Truckers have finned aluminum covers but they not original styling. Like these that do not say BUICK on them

IMG_1122.jpeg.e3ec5e54b2750c44701c1377e46a60a7.jpeg

On 5/5/2024 at 6:03 PM, NTX5467 said:

(Perhaps some "flat strap" with a few correct bends and holes in the right places?  Sharp edges dressed-down, with "Air Cleaner Black" paint?)

Willis, It is a great idea for a start. Hold off on the paint until you get the fit right. Powdercoat? Thank you fir your creative input.

Turbinator

Posted (edited)

$600-$650 for a set seems to be what the market will bear.

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace/item/444157601331028/?ref=category_feed&referral_code=null&referral_story_type=post&tracking=browse_serp%3A7d4c6a87-0b45-4196-9719-0c447402d721

There are also several offerings on eBay. Some are left/right pairs - some are each'es.

Regardless - it comes to $600 for a pair.

I searched on "Buick Nailhead Valve Covers".

Edited by Craig Balzer (see edit history)

1 hour ago, Craig Balzer said:

$600-$650 for a set seems to be what the market will bear.

That's close to $1K CAD!

Simply can't justify such a non-functional item.

If I were to proceed, I'd wan them polished with smooth underside. The used pair (1966) pair in Billings MT would be my choice. Again, too much $$$.

As for the rear bracket. The diagonal bracket is for 1963 only? Leaving it off would make things simpler.

Sample image of 1963 (not mine)::

image.png.13500448ddbf4325ad73bb16e2e57953.png

My 64, 401   with  1966 valve covers fitted  about 4 months ago, with  non gs bracket.

IMG_2229 (1).JPG 401.JPG

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, RivNut said:

Russ and Matt Martin @ Centervilleauto.com or TA Performance should good used or reproductions of the originals.  Others like O’Brien Truckers have finned aluminum covers but they not original styling. Like these that do not say BUICK on them

IMG_1122.jpeg.e3ec5e54b2750c44701c1377e46a60a7.jpeg

thanks for the info

On 5/7/2024 at 10:04 PM, Wayne R said:

My 64, 401   with  1966 valve covers fitted  about 4 months ago, with  non gs bracket.

IMG_2229 (1).JPG 401.JPG

Wayne, im going to ask a favor. I have a pair of what I believe are OEM Buick cast aluminum valve covers. Here is a picture what year do you believe the are?

Turbinator

IMG_2605.jpeg

• Like 1

Sorry for late reply--looks like  65 to me,  i actually had a pair just like this   20 years ago , while 

in California that i sold--was going to fit on my 65  but never got round to doing that.

here is  a photo of  the 1966  inside of  the pair just  fitted  on my 64  401   above   with the original bracket that

i fabricated   on this forum  about  January  7th 8th this year.---notice the  id  number on the inside ,  sorry i can not remember

or have a photo of the inside of the ones i sold 20 years ago---hope that helps you.

P1090923.JPG

P1090924.JPG

21 hours ago, Wayne R said:

Sorry for late reply--looks like  65 to me,  i actually had a pair just like this   20 years ago , while 

in California that i sold--was going to fit on my 65  but never got round to doing that.

here is  a photo of  the 1966  inside of  the pair just  fitted  on my 64  401   above   with the original bracket that

i fabricated   on this forum  about  January  7th 8th this year.---notice the  id  number on the inside ,  sorry i can not remember

or have a photo of the inside of the ones i sold 20 years ago---hope that helps you.

IMG_2623.jpeg.b60ee0d47c0d139ae7c4e2bc4443f539.jpegi do know what this tells me. I should consult the parts books I have. Wayne, thank you.

P1090924.JPG

Here is my number inside

• Like 1

Just an FYI, correct me if I am wrong, I believe that TA Performance out of Scottsdale Arizona purchased the original casting molds for the Aluminum valve covers they sell for $375.  A former ROA member out of the New York area who used to sell them, his name escapes me right now., sold the casting molds to TA.  

They have the raised Buick script on them, though they do not advertise that.  

I bought a set and they seem just fine.

• Like 2

Posted (edited)

That former ROA member that did the re-casting was Carmen Faso. 

Also, the original covers were cast by Winters Foundry. Looking at the pictures with the Part Number on the inside of the covers and looking to the right, notice the foundry mark. That is the original Winters Foundry casting. The re-casted covers do not have the foundry mark in them. 

Just a little information I thought that might help for identification.

Loren@65GS.com 

Edited by Loren@65GS.com (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 2

On 5/7/2024 at 1:39 PM, XframeFX said:

As for the rear bracket. The diagonal bracket is for 1963 only? Leaving it off would make things simpler.

Back to the rear A6 Bracket. The diagonal bar from the front of the compressor did in fact reach the intake threaded hole which is 5cm to the rear from the old intake. Only the mounting boss appears higher, no room to slip the diagonal bar under the rear bracket.

Is the diagonal bar 1963 only? I don't see it in other 1st gen engine bay images.

• 3 weeks later...
On 5/24/2024 at 2:16 PM, drhach said:

Isn't "MO" Missouri not Montana (MT)? 

Billings is a city in Christian County, Missouri, United States. The population was 1,035 at the 2010 census. It is part of the Springfield, Missouri metropolitan area.

• Thanks 1