1950 NASH AMBASSADOR SUPER AIRFLYTE 4DOOR FASTBACK - $4,000

No info but interesting car and history. Murdock was an advocate of a plant based diet. He is currently age 100...Maybe he's on to something! (but is it worth it?) 

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/d/la-jolla-rare-1950-nash-ambassador/7689814165.html

Owned by billionaire David H Murdock, complete car, Clean Cal title. When you respond with your real phone number, I'll get back to you, otherwise no.  email:  ef210068f56033ed8d1c8bbced26829d@sale.craigslist.org

image.png.19701048f61e50e8c2c5159db9bb838d.png

• Like 1

3 hours ago, lhend50 said:

Every time I see one of these, I wonder who would ever buy one, new or old. 

As odd-looking as the 'bathtub' Nash is to our eyes now, it was viewed as modern and progressive in its time.   Nash buyers tended to be focused on economy and longevity, were a consistently brand loyal group to their excellent local dealer networks.  But no one would accuse Nashes of being exciting.  The best characterization of the Nash I've read was:  They were like your old maiden Aunt Edna: solid, sensible, had money in the bank...but were no fun at all!"

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

6 hours ago, lhend50 said:

My father, for one.  I think he thought it was innovative and futuristic in 1950.  But I still remember my poor mother trying to park it with no power steering and those skirted front fenders.  I think it probably had a turning radius similar to the Queen Mary!

• Haha 2

26 minutes ago, alsancle said:

The 32 1090 cars were actually very exciting.

A.J.:

The 490-1290 Twin-Ignition Eights are the exception to the "no fun" rule.  If we're being generous, the Ambassador Eight convertibles through 1941 could be included too.  Mostly that derogatory old maiden Aunt Edna characterization applies to their postwar offerings, except the Nash-Healey.

Steve

15 years ago I went to a project car auction by Vanderbrink up in Thief River Falls, Minnesota.  Canada was 5 miles away. 

They had 15 Nash Bathtubs.  On inspection day I carefully examined each one and came away impressed.  I bid on a couple but got outbid.  At the time I was trying to collect 6-7 of the makes from 1949-1950. 

I had a 22nd series Packard Custom 8, a 1949 Chrysler New Yorker club coupe, a 1949 Kaiser Virginian, and a 1949 Hudson Commodore 8.  That’s why I bid.  These Nashes have not aged well in my opinion.  Few can call them attractive or make a case for their styling.  

However they would be fun to own and enjoy as part of a broader collection in my opinion. 

• Like 1

On 11/22/2023 at 6:55 AM, lhend50 said:

Certainly not I, for one. They look incredibly dated and frankly ugly as sin. I remember seeing two of these cars rotting outside an old gas station in Lynchburg, VA when I was in college. 

4 hours ago, DrumBob said:

They look incredibly dated and frankly ugly as sin. 

I know what you mean, Bob:  Often they look awkward.

However, I find that coupes with the right 2-tone colors

can actually be more attractive.  Here are pictures I saved.

The brown one was for sale several years ago;

the green-and-cream example I think has unauthentic

colors, but the colors are very tasteful.  What do people think?

1950 Nash--facebook 4.jpg

P1030720 - Copy (2).jpg

P1030787.jpg

1950 Nash green-tan 1.jpg

1950 Nash green-tan 2.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 4

7 hours ago, alsancle said:

To each his own. My issue is that none of them had a big engine. If they made the fastback version with a two-door and a big straight eight I would be all over it. Sometimes it’s nice to have something nobody else has.

A.J.:

That leaves the 22nd-23rd Series Packard Custom Eights and 23rd Series Super and Super Deluxe club sedans the only choice.  Unless you can allow the 545 1946-'48 Chrysler New Yorker two-door Brougham Sedans as mostly fitting the bill.

Steve

Addendum: Not to ignore the big fish in the postwar straight eight two door fastbacks; the Buick Roadmaster Sedanet.

Edited by 58L-Y8
addendum comments (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 11/22/2023 at 3:26 PM, B Jake Moran said:

I had a 22nd series Packard Custom 8, a 1949 Chrysler New Yorker club coupe, a 1949 Kaiser Virginian, and a 1949 Hudson Commodore 8.

How would you rank those cars, in order of build quality and driving pleasure?

I've loved everything Nash since I first read about them as a kid in the 80s. I don't dislike the exterior styling of the bathtub models, but I'm not crazy about the dashboard (which is mostly what the owner sees!) and the form above function of those front wheels bothers me. I find more to love with the late 30s-40's models, but wouldn't refuse the right deal on one of these.

21 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

I know what you mean, Bob:  Often they look awkward.

However, I find that coupes with the right 2-tone colors

can actually be more attractive.  Here are pictures I saved.

The brown one was for sale several years ago;

the green-and-cream example I think has unauthentic

colors, but the colors are very tasteful.  What do people think?

1950 Nash--facebook 4.jpg

P1030720 - Copy (2).jpg

P1030787.jpg

1950 Nash green-tan 1.jpg

1950 Nash green-tan 2.jpg

John, I agree. These two examples look very nice. This car looked better as a two-door, for sure. Some designs don't translate well to four doors, I guess. 

Edited by DrumBob (see edit history)
  • Like 1

would look cool in snow 10 inches deep..........no visible wheels......a local car club guy here had one[4dr]......and a old closed service station from the 1950s with cool old cars sitting for decades way out in the country  had one .......it was last car sitting there as they sold them off......but in very good condition ....and Automatic i was surprised.....and i think these were unibody construction......likely one of the first

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Remarkably, still for sale!                                Same ad exactly! 

https://sandiego.craigslist.org/csd/cto/d/la-jolla-rare-1950-nash-ambassador/7706208622.html

email:  bb19741b9c793f448cc2c0f9d8b0efc4@sale.craigslist.org

Arguably, the money-shot for this car shows the car from this angle (a car sold online way back) - - - I see what appears to be yellow duct tape around the back window / trunk area - which causes concern for what must be going on back there.

zzzzzz405453-15.jpg

• Like 1

I've mentioned this before. My brother was fond of these. He had several '49-'51s. He was into them because of the fold-down seats that made into a bed. No, he didn't go camping in them, he took girls to the drive-in movies in them. I recall that one of his Nashes needed a clutch once. It was a chore because he had to put the car up on barrels to get the suspension off of the ground to pull the rear end backwards with a chain in order to get the driveshaft to clear the back of the transmission. The other thing that I remember clearly about his Nashes was how goofy they cornered. I could be riding alongside next to him in the passenger seat and he would turn a corner (just a normal turn on a city street) suddenly I would be way above him height-wise. I never knew a car that would roll that much. After the turn, the car would even out and go back to normal. And lastly, they were slow! They promised high gas mileage, but the tradeoff was certainly performance. 

Edited by Hudsy Wudsy (see edit history)
  • Like 1