is it really that time of year again to start putting things away for the winter ? ,what will be your winter project ?

arcticbuicks

For me .....Weather has been nice but now today snow and next few nights going down to -13 at night......I am doing quick clean up outside and to know where things are to find later once covered in snow through the winter.....this will be first winter i will be in new shop addition with 8 inch insulated walls and 6 inch styrofoam concrete filled foundation forms with heated floor also sitting on styrofoam..........garage doors are the worst i find for heat loss ......so i did a hanger style door with rubber seals and its 6 inches thick styrofoam insulated as well........getting older i find i get colder easy........especially the fingers...........this winter will be a  1936 Chevrolet 3 window coupe project...........a few of us continue to drive classics into december and i go for christmas in Winnipeg hours away in 1955 Merc......will be down to -20........but some times no salt yet and fine to drive on cold dry roads..........what will be your winter plans or projects ?

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, edinmass said:

My winter project is simple…….go swimming in the Atlantic every morning before work. 😎

Sure make me miss the east coast 😛 Although where I'd want to live, the Atlantic would kill you this time of year in about four minutes I'm told.

For me there's no winter project. No garage, no skills and no money make for a brutal combo. I did find a good price for a '57 Lincoln, but frame work sounds both expensive and a possible white elephant.

2 hours ago, arcticbuicks said:

I am doing quick clean up outside and to know where things are to find later once covered in snow through the winter..

Drive some labeled grade stakes in so you will know where to dig in February.

I kick at and dig in the snow when winter sets in but after a while I just wait for April to loosen winter's icy grip.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Centigrade .......still balmy really .....as it gets colder I think the two measurements get closer ........I think at -44 centigrade is the same as fahrenheit ...and we get that after Christmas into January and February .........I grew up with -50s but it dosnt seem to get that cold up north anymore 

Edited by arcticbuicks (see edit history)

My project is to get this 1951 Chev cab on a 1989 Dodge 3/4 ton 4WD frame with a Cummins in it. I have a 49 Chev with a fairly good shape box that I will put on this truck. It’s similar to my last project so many hours of just sitting and staring should be shortened.

IMG_2280.jpeg

71536468172__18C422E4-7BDD-4A90-AE9A-56BA03CD1432.jpeg

• Like 6

I'm going to pick up where I left off on making a distributor tester. I figured u how to drive it and I think I have the sensors sorted and a way to measure advance based on that. Now it's on to displaying the information. It's been an excuse to dig in tot the Arduino/ Raspberry Pi world.

• Like 1

Beyond the research and writing - getting my library back in order and resorted ( yes some of you have heard me say that before) also working on restoring some pre war steel toys - have to make a few parts, clean the collection of car mascots I took delivery of at Hershey and remove any flaking plating. . In the garage mostly cleaning off the two cars stored there and probably give them a polish ( garage is heated) what was just mentioned gives me a break from looking at period material and thus avoid eye strain because I do that to much.

• Like 3

28 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

I keep the garage at a minimum of 40 degrees F. with all the best intentions.

Me too Bernie . for years I had an unheated garage but lacquer paint cracks if the surface it is applied to shrinks and swells with temperature change so the cost of heat saves a lot of potential work like repainting , cost of materials , time to do so etc. beyond the lure that one can go into the garage and work on the cars if one feels like it ( my garage is detached from the house about 20 feet away).

• Like 1

That picture of my '60 Electra was taken up at the south end of town on the eastern trailing edge of the Niagara Escarpment. Just beyond the horizon is Lake Ontario and then the frozen expense of Canada where we get our winter wind. Getting the car out in January is not a big deal, nothing liquid to be an issue most of the time.

Here is a January shot at the Iroquois Wildlife Refuge. Winter in these parts seems to be a big thing to plan for but goes by quickly.

007001.jpg.83fc7d5c3195074f097dd20122dc83d1.jpg

• Like 4

20 hours ago, arcticbuicks said:

Mustang ?

Thanks, but Nope--the progenitor of the Mustang---Falcon--the New-Sized FORD.

This is a '64, and the 3rd '64 I have had.  The first 2 were Sprint convertibles.  This a simple 2 door sedan with 6 cyl.

I always heard that the Mustang was "based on" the Falcon, and that is true--up to a point.  Very little Mustang sheet metal can be used on the Falcon.  The Mustang is narrower and has a shorter wheelbase and has its own stampings. Not even the front inner fenders and spring covers are the same  Running gear is pretty much the same except for some improvements Mustang made to the steering linkage.

• Like 1

Two car covers arrived yesterday. I am moving a second car to storage this season. I used to only do one but I am hoping to accomplish something with the extra space.

A friend and I have been happy with carcovers.com for our indoor storage. Just protection from dust and that potential invading bird. I went to the site, picked out the ones I wanted and put the in the "shopping cart" but didn't purchase. The following morning I got a reminder and a 15% incentive to complete the sale. Like 3 hours later I got another reminder adding 5% to make them 20% off.

Like I started, they arrived yesterday. A tip for procrastinators.

At home I don't care for covers because I like to see the cars. I bought one for paintwork to mask with. I prefer to work one panel at a time so I will cover the whole car, then roll back what I want to expose for prep and paint. A little more elaborate but not much, covers are cheap and it might work.

• Like 1

19 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

Two car covers arrived yesterday. I am moving a second car to storage this season. I used to only do one but I am hoping to accomplish something with the extra space.

A friend and I have been happy with carcovers.com for our indoor storage. Just protection from dust and that potential invading bird. I went to the site, picked out the ones I wanted and put the in the "shopping cart" but didn't purchase. The following morning I got a reminder and a 15% incentive to complete the sale. Like 3 hours later I got another reminder adding 5% to make them 20% off.

Like I started, they arrived yesterday. A tip for procrastinators.

At home I don't care for covers because I like to see the cars. I bought one for paintwork to mask with. I prefer to work one panel at a time so I will cover the whole car, then roll back what I want to expose for prep and paint. A little more elaborate but not much, covers are cheap and it might work.

GREAT! 

ANOTHER motive to procrastinate--as if I needed that!

At that rate of price reduction, how long until the covers are free?--or how long until they start sending me $$---this might be a good source of $$ in retirement!

We were in a heat wave last week. In the upper 70's and low 80's. I just got back from the midwest and took my winter coat expecting some cold temps. Was in the 70's and 80's!! I was in Breckinridge CO. this same time last year and there was a pretty good snow storm a few days in a row. Turned out to be the only snow I saw all of last year. I have heat in the shop and plan on doing a lot of chores over the winter but I too tend to 'put it off for another day'.  I am saying now, NOT THIS YEAR!! LOL.

• Like 2

Jack Frost came earlier than expected this year.  So, I turned up the water heater and turned on the recirculation pump for my radiant floor heat system. 

Winter projects include making a new mounting plate for the DU4 Magneto on my 13 
Buick touring car and solving the "bucking shift" problem on my 15 Buick Speedster.

Edited by Mark Shaw (see edit history)
  • Like 3

My fall/winter projects are to prep my '40 Chevrolet Master 85 for painting and build a lean to on my shop to park one of my cars and mower under.My goal is to get all four of my future restoration and project cars at least under a roof,if not completely enclosed.The '52 Chevrolet is next in line. I'm torn between restoring the '52 Ford Customline or building a gasser out of it.

005.jpg

001.jpg

• Like 1

What with the end of day light savings time, and a early onset of winter like weather, working outside, even if it could be for more than the few short hours of day light, in the rain and wind, would be a totally stupid thing to do.

During the few sunny days of the past month I have stripped most of the body, and almost all of the accessories (such as the generator, distributor, oil filter, etc.) from the 1929 Fargo Packet Panel truck I recently bought. 
These parts are safely deposited in the cover of my patio roof, and can easily be retrieved in the quantity, and as often as I desire.

Using the bad weather as a excuse, I allow myself to bring a fender or door panel into the garage, and there, with my radio blaring “Delilah” and my heater cranked up, I can take care of my holy sheet metal and paint problems.

I have a nifty wood stove in my shop, and this is a great time to do some of the wood pieces of the body and cab of the truck which entails a whole lot of noise, and can generate tons of odoriferous, and extremely pleasing, saw dust.

Included in the initial cost of buying the panel came a implied guarantee that it would provide me with something that needs to be done for as long as I may live.

I also have my 1923 DB Roadster sitting comfortably in the garage, and when coupled with the industrial sewing machine I have located in my den, it will provide a eternity of work so long as I don’t mind wasting upholstery material.

My go-to weekend driver is also perpetually available to be moved into the garage for a bit of cleaning or FITCAL (Army jargon for Feel-inspect-tighten-clean and lubricate as necessary) and my old Willys Knight is always appreciative of my attention.

I have cubby holed the 1951 Plymouth Cambridge project for a while because it is too wide to work on, with the doors open, and the remainder of the upholstery work can be held off until it warms up and the rain stops.

That leaves the cleaning and FITCAL it takes to keep my 1947 Ford 8N tractor humming and my 1995 Ford F-250 available to pull it all.

IMG_1701.jpeg

IMG_1539.jpeg

IMG_1305.jpeg

IMG_0744.jpeg

IMG_0632.jpeg

IMG_0576.jpeg

IMG_0240.jpeg

Edited by Jack Bennett (see edit history)