I hope my parts flew first class and were served champaign and caviar.

Fordy

I received some T Ford starter motor brushes from Langs today. 12 of them shipped to Australia was 85 bucks on a $143 purchase! Fedex needs a boycott if they think thats a fair deal. USPS snail mail would have them here in a similar time frame and a lot cheaper.

Langs also need a boot up the backside for not contacting me with an alternative shipping option or at least advising that shipping was off the chart and "would you like to proceed"?"

Steve

Edited by Fordy (see edit history)
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 3

3 minutes ago, Fordy said:

I received some T Ford starter motor brushes from Langs today. 12 of them shipped to Australia was 85 bucks on a $143 purchase! Fedex needs a boycott if they think thats a fair deal. USPS snail mail would have them here in a similar time frame and a lot cheaper.

Langs also need a boot up the backside for not contacting me with an alternative shipping option or at least advising that shipping was off the chard and "would you like to proceed"?"

Steve

Totally agree, shipping charges to down under are outrageous! Often a supplier uses a “Standard Rate” put out by the carrier which has very little to do with actual size or weight. Perhaps there is better profit in shipping ☹️☹️☹️☹️

• Like 3

2 hours ago, rodneybeauchamp said:

Totally agree, shipping charges to down under are outrageous! Often a supplier uses a “Standard Rate” put out by the carrier which has very little to do with actual size or weight. Perhaps there is better profit in shipping ☹️☹️☹️☹️

Europe, Belgium is even worse.

I ordered a king pin set for my '32 Oldsmobile and it was $195.

When it was delivered It was 420€ or $450!! 

• Like 3

This sort of rip off is going to kill a lot of "offshore" business for the parts vendors. It's ridiculous that those rates are charged. Brushes above would fit in a matchbox and weigh less than an ounce!

What really pisses me is the lack of communication from the vendor - I need to add the cost of these to the starters I am rebuilding for the Model T guys and without any "margin" from me they come in at A$30.00 each and there are 4 in each starter! That is crazy and I have to try and justify it to the customer who thinks it's me ripping him off! I would get them made locally and cut Langs and others out of the loop if demand was high enough.

Steve

• Like 6

Just now, demco32 said:

Europe, Belgium is even worse.

I ordered a king pin set for my '32 Oldsmobile and it was $195.

When it was delivered It was 420€ or $450!! 

How do we protest?

Steve

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Fordy said:

How do we protest?

Steve

We can't. I pay shipment+ import tax + sales tax on total of 21%

A new '23tundra that is like $60000 is now for me 124000€ and I have to pay 14500€ registration tax + 5800 € annual road tax.

Result, I can't no longer afford a new truck.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, Fordy said:

This sort of rip off is going to kill a lot of "offshore" business for the parts vendors. It's ridiculous that those rates are charged. Brushes above would fit in a matchbox and weigh less than an ounce!

What really pisses me is the lack of communication from the vendor - I need to add the cost of these to the starters I am rebuilding for the Model T guys and without any "margin" from me they come in at A$30.00 each and there are 4 in each starter! That is crazy and I have to try and justify it to the customer who thinks it's me ripping him off! I would get them made locally and cut Langs and others out of the loop if demand was high enough.

Steve

same for me, I'm a Jaguar mechanic and  starting to lose customers because of these absurdly high prices .

result is that owners don't drive there antique cars.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, Fordy said:

Buy parts ex US and fairly soon I won't be able to afford to eat!!!

I believe it's going to be worse, because of all the wars in the world, fuel prices are going up even more.

+ the "green boy's" don't want us to drive the gas powered cars anymore.

Government push people into purchasing electric cars and do this by adding more and more taxes on no- electric cars.

Soon we are going to pay taxes / km driven too like the truck more than 3500kg total weight have to pay now.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

I'm sure it won't help on engines,  but on many parts,  try using pirateship.  It's a company that buys shipping and sells it to individuals like me from USPS and UPS. 

They tell you the window price and what your price is.  It was an 81% discount on the package I shipped to the Netherlands yesterday.  That's UPS worldwide expedited.  On small lighter items under 4lbs.  They have a super cheap USPS rate.  it's often $20-30 for a couple of pounds overseas.   I ship alot of literature,  so weight does get up there as it's often 100-200 pieces at a time.  I think a large (12 by 12 by 32 inch) 20 plus lb box to Belgium was around $125.  Well worth checking out.  I save a ton of money on shipping which in turn I pass on to my customers. 

I have actually gotten to the point of buying literature from around the country and sending the seller prepaid labels.  Works excellent.  The company also has excellent customer support,  for the few times I needed it and an online chat box to help you figure out or report any problems that's monitored constantly during business hours.

Here is a link.

https://ship.pirateship.com 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

problem is not the shipment prizes for Europe.it's the import taxes en the sales tax that make it expensive.

example, part is $100 + shipment $50= $150

22% import = +$33

Sales tax = $183+21% =$221.42

some european country is 23% sales tax

Import taxes both ways to or from the USA, Europe etc have been going on for over a century. It is why Fiat, R-R, had a factories in the USA; why cars came to the USA from Europe with only a running chassis, firewall, maybe fenders but no body - it was then declared and incomplete car and thus less tax.

Isotta Fraschini had a main dealer in NY City that issued its own created and printed sales catalog - I have a copy, bodies for the most part were made by Fleetwood.  One has to take what was going on from the perspective of that era. This was going on from WWI to WWII here in the USA.

G.M. to have great sales in Europe had their Canadian factory make cars to export to England - thus it was a car made in the British Empire . Lincoln in the late 1920s into early 1930s had chassis shipped and the cars bodied in Europe - I have the spiral bound color sales catalogs from that printed and created in France. Chrysler had a plant in Kew in England west of London - also issued their own sales literature that was printed there, Plymouths here were sold as rebadged Chryslers there.

Yes this is a major story not fully told and there is a really decent amount of period images to show what the imported chassis on both sides of the Atlantic pond looked like when completed.

Walt

• Like 2

With all due respect @Fordy , but any chance of placing the other boot or at least a sandal/slipper into the behind of a buyer who fails to ask about potential shipping costs and/or options before proceeding with the purchase ?

As someone who for past +/-40 years has been buying, selling & shipping vintage car parts, including bulky shipments, like individually packed large windshields, etc, not to mention +/-1000 complete motor vehicles to/from pretty much all continents, I’ve always understood not all buyers think of costs beyond initial purchase price, so whenever selling long distance, I try to make them aware before accepting their money and whenever I’m the buyer, if a seller fails to provide upfront shipping, etc costs/estimates, I make sure to ask about them before committing to buy.

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The problem of the cost of shipping used parts out of state is not new. I recently bought 4 relatively rare 18" 1931 Chrysler Lockrings for $60 from a NY state vendor on eBay. He refused to ship out of country, even to Canada. I'm about 1000 miles from him. so I arranged for him to ship 2/3rds of the way to an old car friend in Bangor, Maine, cost only $30 via USPS. While I contemplated driving across the border to pick them up, the 600 mile return trip was not worth time and cost. So I asked my friend to have them shipped USPS to me. Cost! $93USD. So the $60 lockrings ($83 Canadian or $20 each) cost $183US landed in my yard, ($245Canadian, or $61 each). Fortunately, border agencies considered them only valued at $60 and did not charge the normal 15% Fed/Prov sales tax, normally charged on imported items over $60. For those stateside reading this, it may help you understand why us out of country folks press for the lowest possible purchase price and shipping option.    

• Like 1

I ship everything with   pirateship.com  You give them the dimensions, weight and destination and they give you a price for all the carriers. I even email the label to people if I pay the shipping--

• Like 1

In the states - #2 diesel has increased 

by more than 50% in the last 3 years.

Parts required for maintenance of my equipment along with insurance costs have also dramatically increased in price.

Operating a transport service nets the least amount of profit that I have seen since 2006.

Sorry if I don’t sympathize with your dilemma, but the reality of operating costs associated with any type of transport, have forced many companies to go out of business, and the ones that are remaining are just holding on.

Jim

Edited by Trulyvintage (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Trulyvintage said:

In the states - #2 diesel has increased 

by more than 50% in the last 3 years.

parts required for maintenance along with insurance cost have also dramatically increased in price.

operating a transport service nets the least amount of profit that I have seen since 2006.

sorry if I don’t sympathize with your dilemma, but the reality of operating costs associated with any type of transport, have forced many companies to go out of business, and the ones that are remaining are just holding on.

Jim

Yes that is correct but keep in mind that the new 18-wheel truck and smaller trucks are now les consuming / km than the older trucks.

Diesel in now 2€ / L

4 hours ago, Restorer32 said:

OK I'll tell you.  Fed Ex wanted $2700.  We are looking at alternatives.

Trying contacting Fastenal. I'm not sure if they can handle something as heavy as your engine/trans, but they have their own fleet of trucks and will accept freight packages to offset the cost of their own use of their trucks. 

I bought a short block for my '86 Park Ave in Ft. Lauderdale, Fl. Overnight Freight brought it to western New York State for less than $200. It shipped terminal to terminal. If I had wanted it shipped to my house it would have been a lot more. I would try that with an engine.

Shipping within the US has lots of options. Years back I set up two parking lifts for a friend/customer. The lifts we bought were delivered to a terminal. I got a flatbed car hauler to deliver them to his garage for about $200. We just tilted back and slid them off. That made a nearly impossible job possible.

6 hours ago, TTR said:

With all due respect @Fordy , but any chance of placing the other boot or at least a sandal/slipper into the behind of a buyer who fails to ask about potential shipping costs and/or options before proceeding with the purchase ?

I hear what you are saying - problem here is I placed a large order for over $1k and this was "backordered" and shipped after the main parts bundle. If they had waited a week they could have been included into that package and cost amortized over the lot which I could live with.

A little perspective - each spring is less than 2 grammes in weight so cost $7.0833333(recurring) each to ship assuming they are exactly 2. Now if I take my approximate weight and multiply it by that figure it would cost me at least US$354,166.60 to fly to the US, travelling in the cargo hold no less! - I could almost buy my own jet and pay less just for the fuel to get there. I probably could have them launched into orbit for less.

You cannot tell me that the ridiculous freight charges are actually justifiable.

Steve

Edited by Fordy (see edit history)
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, Trulyvintage said:

orry if I don’t sympathize with your dilemma, but the reality of operating costs associated with any type of transport, have forced many companies to go out of business, and the ones that are remaining are just holding on.

Jim - read above post!

• Like 1

18 hours ago, Fordy said:

I hear what you are saying - problem here is I placed a large order for over $1k and this was "backordered" and shipped after the main parts bundle. If they had waited a week they could have been included into that package and cost amortized over the lot which I could live with.

A little perspective - each spring is less than 2 grammes in weight so cost $7.0833333(recurring) each to ship assuming they are exactly 2. Now if I take my approximate weight and multiply it by that figure it would cost me at least US$354,166.60 to fly to the US, travelling in the cargo hold no less! - I could almost buy my own jet and pay less just for the fuel to get there. I probably could have them launched into orbit for less.

You cannot tell me that the ridiculous freight charges are actually justifiable.

Steve

I don't know about Australia but in Europe it gets expensive for company's to have truck on the road.

It's just an other way that government use to collect more taxes and no tell the general public.

A truck above 3500 kg total weight has to pay taxes for every km they drive.

Every country in Europe has there own toll system.

Belgium company truck owner have to pay toll + km- toll / tax too.

Diesel for trucks is now 2€ -L and you know how much they consume / km so again a good system for government to collect taxes.

Truck driver / owner of company's don't work for there company but are like employed from by government!!

Truck in Europe can only have max speed of 89 km/h and have a tough law in mandatory stops.

It's no wonder that shipping is so expensive.

The European parliament that is established some years ago is full of members that make a lot of money every month and find all the time new laws to take more taxes.

Who is paying for all that do you think?

Next will be the new taxes on air fright and air travel.

All this ad to the bill we get for shipment.

15 minutes ago, Bills Auto Works said:

.If my business was not highly profitable,

A profitable business gives that business a better opportunity to provide the customer with the best service. If I had to pull out a couple percent of profit to better serve a customer you can bet I would do it. A lot of businesses never figure that out.

• Like 2

Hi Steve

Myself and a few others here in Eastern Canada have been regular customer's of Lang's over the years. In the past when ordering (by phone to be able to check) I would specifically ask for items to be shipped by US Parcel Post. And they were friendly, great and would do so.

However, earlier this fall when I called, a new person in their office staff answered. And when I requested US Post, they said that Lang's was in the middle of changing their computer system and couldn't do US Post. At the time I needed the parts and paid the FedEx cost. And like you in Australia, the cost for this method is ridiculous and much higher than US Post International shipping.

Next time I order I will be asking first if US Post shipping is available again. If not, I may be check out another T parts supplier that will ship international US Post.

I really hope Lang's fixes the shipping issue and once again offers US Post International shipping. They have been good and helpful in the past and I would like to see that continue.

Drive Safe

Jeff

• Like 2

On 10/18/2023 at 8:14 AM, Restorer32 said:

OK I'll tell you.  Fed Ex wanted $2700.  We are looking at alternatives.

Wow, that seems excessive. I shipped a Nash straight eight engine with mounted trans and overdrive on a pallet this summer for around $450 via fedex freight, terminal to terminal. 

I usually stay away from threads like this but we ordered basically a booklet, said it was fine in a regular mailing envelope, cost of booklet US$ 8.95, cost of FEDEX shipping US26.88. We are in Canada so add 30%. If companies want business they need to be aware that customers do not appreciate being lumped with unnecessary shipping costs  

I need to say I spoke with the company and they offered me a more than generous refund 

Edited by playswithbrass
Update (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1