For Sale: 1950 Dodge Wayfarer Coupe, 52K miles - $19,500 - North Valley Albuquerque, NM - Not Mine - 6 Months Later Still Available, Price Still $19,500: 11-24-2023:

For Sale: 1950 Dodge Wayfarer Coupe, 52K miles - $19,500 - North Valley Albuquerque, NM - 6 Months Later Still Available, Price Still $19,500: 11-24-2023: See New Link Below.
1950 Dodge 2 Door Coupe - cars & trucks - by owner - vehicle... (craigslist.org)
Seller's Description:

Wayfarer with perfect body and darn good paint. Drives amazing with all original 230 ci straight six with 3speed Fluid Drive tranny. Showing 51982 miles on the odometer, everything works even the air conditioning which is a vent under the dash. It is a Wayfarer 3 passenger coupe that does not have a back seat. Huge trunk, and I mean huge! Super smoooooth ride!!
Copy and paste in your email: 15b1f6ea0e0735b89089f4bb5f353792@sale.craigslist.org

I have no personal interest or stake in the eventual sale of this: 1950 Dodge Wayfarer Coupe.

'50 Dodge bus Coupe NM a.jpg

'50 Dodge bus Coupe NM b.jpg

'50 Dodge bus Coupe NM c.jpg

'50 Dodge bus Coupe NM d.jpg

'50 Dodge bus Coupe NM e.jpg

'50 Dodge bus Coupe NM f.jpg

'50 Dodge bus Coupe NM g.jpg

'50 Dodge bus Coupe NM h.jpg

'50 Dodge bus Coupe NM i.jpg

'50 Dodge bus Coupe NM j.jpg

'50 Dodge bus Coupe NM k.jpg

'50 Dodge bus Coupe NM l.jpg

'50 Dodge bus Coupe NM m.jpg

'50 Dodge bus Coupe NM n.jpg

Edited by 58L-Y8
6 Months Later Still Available, Price Still $19,500: 11-24-2023: Crossed out the dead CL link. (see edit history)

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Auburnseeker barely got more than that for his perfectly sorted roadster so they price is not going to result in a sale.

Also,  what is the deal with the aluminum radiator?

You are right.  20G is Roadster money.  Normally I have no problem with red,  but for some reason,  it doesn't do anything for me on this car though I think the literature does show one in red.   Maybe it's the photos?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, auburnseeker said:

You are right.  20G is Roadster money.  Normally I have no problem with red,  but for some reason,  it doesn't do anything for me on this car though I think the literature does show one in red.   Maybe it's the photos?

Maybe it is the huge front porch over the windshield. Zeke

• Like 1

IMHO, I think the Wayfarer series was the ugliest of all Dodges, especially the 2-door "bustle-back" sedan pictured, and their Plymouth sisters. The Plymouth was a smoother designed "fastback" due to its slightly shorter wheelbase.

b_1949DodgeFoldout-09to16.jpg.9d63ff184e4cf7fc0efdff218a5d4ee1.jpg

Dodge:

092016-barn-finds-1950-dodge-wayfarer-2

Plymouth:

1950Plymouth-07.jpg.00a7afd4eddb64623b3589794a1ee9f4.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

7 hours ago, Vinny... said:

IMHO, I think the Wayfarer series was the ugliest of all Dodges, especially the 2-door "bustle-back" sedan pictured, and their Plymouth sisters. The Plymouth was a smoother designed "fastback" due to its slightly shorter wheelbase.

b_1949DodgeFoldout-09to16.jpg.9d63ff184e4cf7fc0efdff218a5d4ee1.jpg

Dodge:

092016-barn-finds-1950-dodge-wayfarer-2

Plymouth:

1950Plymouth-07.jpg.00a7afd4eddb64623b3589794a1ee9f4.jpg

What is surprising about the all-new 1949 Mopar cars is how many have bodies that are unique to a single make and model like the bustle-back Dodge Wayfarer two-door sedan.  Pre-war and post-war through the first-series 1949 Mopar cars were champions of body sharing and interchangeability over their complete product lines. 

I owned an all original 51 Wayfarer 2-dr. sedan once and you just accept them for what they are........low cost no-frills minimal (but very reliable) transportation. You want a fancy well-accessorized upscale car go and get yourself a New Yorker or an Imperial. And "darn good paint" doesn't make this example worth anywhere near the asking price. Cut the price in half already and see how that works out. And lose the sunvisor. 

• Like 5

• 3 weeks later...

As I have said many times on here,  as the guy driving a 49 Plymouth 2 door in HS I would have swapped for a business coupe or the holy grail of a wayfarer roadster in a heartbeat.

As an adult,  I have ruminated over the roadster for years but will probably never end up getting one.    I would have killed for a 66 GTO Vert 4 speed as a HS kid and I've never pulled the trigger on that either.

• Like 2

Earliest family car I can remember was Dad's '50 Plymouth two door sedan ... so I wouldn't fall out through a back door. A relative restored that car in the '70s so I got to see it as it had been when new. A treat for this developing car enthusiast.
Today I own a '50 Plymouth business coupe. Still going on its original, never opened up engine and transmission. Typical sewing machine Mopar 6 cylinder that provides exactly what it was intended for: great transportation. And now hobby appreciation.
Styling? I'm very happy with it. Do all the critics not subscribe to the truism that "styling is subjective"? I honestly don't understand the apparent need to comment on this or any car that it is grossly unattractive in your eyes. And visor or other accessory or equipment comments apparently have no appreciation for the history of all automobiles.
Times change, styles change. I am not you and you are not me and that ought to be okay with both of us. It is with me.
  • Like 4

The problem isn't that the aftermarket accessory Fulton sunvisor was added to the car, it's the fact that it's green and it looks really out of place. It might help the overall appearance if it was painted the same shade of red as the rest of the car.

Fulton brand visors were a factory-authorized Mopar accessory. Most manufacturers offered Fulton brand because it was top quality. They came out of the box in a green primer as seen on this car over their aluminum stampings. They are now about a $500+ ebay item. If a potential Wayfarer buyer likes it he can paint it. If not it is an asset that can be removed and sold.
My '50 Plymouth was factory maroon. I don't know when the Fulton was added but the manufacturer's green is still there. I really appreciate having it in the South Texas summers. Recent years it is a "patina car" having come out of New Mexico. It gets more compliments......
Also have a '52 Mint Green Chrysler Saratoga coupe. It left the dealership wearing a painted-to-match Fulton visor.
Some of us who lived in those postwar days. and saw these cars new, have a special appreciation for dressed cars. Sometimes that dressing is skirts for fenders. Factories offered "fender pants" or "fender skirts" from the 1940s to the early '60s. In later years, Foxcraft made most of those for the manufacturers.
  • Like 1

On 6/30/2023 at 4:22 PM, alsancle said:

Auburnseeker barely got more than that for his perfectly sorted roadster so they price is not going to result in a sale.

Also,  what is the deal with the aluminum radiator?

I'm seeing a lot of these one size fits all aluminum radiators in older cars. The main reason is that radiator dedicated shops are going out of business. Done.  Aftermarket companies have stepped in with these awkward looking replacements.  

• Like 3

18 hours ago, StillOutThere said:

Earliest family car I can remember was Dad's '50 Plymouth two door sedan ... so I wouldn't fall out through a back door. A relative restored that car in the '70s so I got to see it as it had been when new. A treat for this developing car enthusiast.
Today I own a '50 Plymouth business coupe. Still going on its original, never opened up engine and transmission. Typical sewing machine Mopar 6 cylinder that provides exactly what it was intended for: great transportation. And now hobby appreciation.
Styling? I'm very happy with it. Do all the critics not subscribe to the truism that "styling is subjective"? I honestly don't understand the apparent need to comment on this or any car that it is grossly unattractive in your eyes. And visor or other accessory or equipment comments apparently have no appreciation for the history of all automobiles.
Times change, styles change. I am not you and you are not me and that ought to be okay with both of us. It is with me.

This is a forum, where people express their opinions, and they may not agree with yours. Perhaps you shouldn't take it personally. I wouldn't get bent out of shape because people dislike the same car you own.

The Business Couple was a controversial body style. It doesn't appeal to certain people, but then, nobody likes every old car out there. Don't take it too seriously. I like bullet nose Studebakers, but others don't.

I'm a drummer, and used to belong to a drum forum, where a large portion of the members disliked the brand of drums I use and endorse. It got to the point where it was constant hating, day after day. I got into online fights with people over it, and eventually stopped going there. This forum is nowhere near as disagreeable and negative as that place was. 

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, DrumBob said:

This is a forum, where people express their opinions, and they may not agree with yours. Perhaps you shouldn't take it personally. I wouldn't get bent out of shape because people dislike the same car you own.

The Business Couple was a controversial body style. It doesn't appeal to certain people, but then, nobody likes every old car out there. Don't take it too seriously. I like bullet nose Studebakers, but others don't.

I'm a drummer, and used to belong to a drum forum, where a large portion of the members disliked the brand of drums I use and endorse. It got to the point where it was constant hating, day after day. I got into online fights with people over it, and eventually stopped going there. This forum is nowhere near as disagreeable and negative as that place was. 

Are you saying it was a controversial body style postwar? Because prewar it’s extremely popular.

that is something I’ve never heard before.

Every flathead car O help people with around these parts that make the claim "Can't seem to stop over heating" is normally the same series of steps to fix it unless the block is plugged solid.    

Check to see if thermo is there and opening at correct temp

Check to see if the radiator is plugged

Check water pump is not dead.

If I have coolant flow and it slowly creeps up after 5 miles I drain the coolant and fill it back with 100% Evapo Rust. Drive the car every day to temp.  After a week if the clear evapo rust turns jet black I drain it and do it again. If the car is bad you might need to do it 3 times.  Drive the car for 30-40 days and always up to temp.  

Flush the system again for a while. Yank the radiator and water pump. You should not see any rust. 

Get a come along and make this handy dandy tool.  Hook the  slot of the water distribution tube. The evapo rust should have done the job and the water distribution tube should pop right out.  

Trying to do this without first derusting the block will lead to more then a headache and the risk of ripping the tube to pieces.  I always find them plugged up as they are tappered towards the back and the temp sending unit is in the back of the distribution tube area that is always stopped up.

20191124_095444.jpg

20191124_103110.jpg

Edited by Brooklyn Beer (see edit history)
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, DrumBob said:

Thank you Bob, my comment was an observation of my first realization of what styles I preferred. My mom drove a white '55 Ford at the same time my dad had the green '50 Plymouth, I liked the Ford. I'm sorry if I hurt anyone's feelings in my post, but wouldn't this be a boring world if we all preferred the same style. My dad soon tired of the Plymouth and bought a '58 Ford which I thought was the most beautiful car that I had ever seen (I know many people would disagree with my young observation). I was just  stating my very early observations of cars as a child. 

• Like 1

I bought one with 15k on the clock in 1981 for 350 dollars……….battleship gray. It would score 95 points today. Fun car that would start in -25 degree weather on six volts when modern cars wouldn’t fire up………the cars survives as a hot rod today.  

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, alsancle said:

Are you saying it was a controversial body style postwar? Because prewar it’s extremely popular.

that is something I’ve never heard before.

I've read people here saying that the Chrysler post war Business Coupe was a controversial body style, that it looked out of whack and wasn't visually pleasing. 

Think about it. We all have car styling we like, and styling we don't like. As I mentioned, I like bullet nose Studebakers, but others don't. To each his own. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, DrumBob said:

I've read people here saying that the Chrysler post war Business Coupe was a controversial body style, that it looked out of whack and wasn't visually pleasing. 

Think about it. We all have car styling we like, and styling we don't like. As I mentioned, I like bullet nose Studebakers, but others don't. To each his own. 

I don't completely disagree with that.  I think the prewar design,  specifically the 41 was much smoother.  Still,  I find the post war business coupes an interesting anachronism.    Mopar and Stude were the only 3 windows that I can think of?   Most postwar business coupes were 5 windows.

1941 Chrysler Saratoga and New Yorker 3-Passenger Coupe | Flickr

10 hours ago, alsancle said:

I don't completely disagree with that.  I think the prewar design,  specifically the 41 was much smoother.  Still,  I find the post war business coupes an interesting anachronism.    Mopar and Stude were the only 3 windows that I can think of?   Most postwar business coupes were 5 windows.

1941 Chrysler Saratoga and New Yorker 3-Passenger Coupe | Flickr

The prewar design was much nicer. I'm generally not a big fan of Mopar cars from '49-'54, but would buy one if a great deal on a decent example came along. There's a guy who lives about 7 miles from here who has a Plymouth '50-51 Business Couple, and he had it painted two-tone burgundy and grey. It's striking, but totally wrong from an originality standpoint.  

I bought my 1st car in 1970 and it was a 1948 Dodge Business Coupe. Always loved the 1942-48 Mopar Business Coupe styling.

That was a 100 dollar car then and I wish I still had it. My father owned one too when it was new. Do not remember it though as I

was born in 1949.

• 58L-Y8 changed the title to For Sale: 1950 Dodge Wayfarer Coupe, 52K miles - $19,500 - North Valley Albuquerque, NM - Not Mine - 6 Months Later Still Available, Price Still $19,500: 11-24-2023:

For sale for six months and he hasn't dropped the price? Clueless.

He's the equivalent of slowpoke drivers who hog the left hand lane on the highway doing 55 and won't move over, despite the fact that a half dozen people have passed him/her on the right. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1