Hershey 2023- we are Rookies- where do you stay?

Fargoguy

Wear comfortable shoes with good support. bring along a small portable carrier with wheels ( maybe a  baggage hauler for airports?)

Bring a decent amount of cash/dollars. a hat for shade from sun - or shelter from rain, look at the weather report before you go. Make a sign to hang on your back of what you seek.

Edited by Walt G
spelling (see edit history)

www.visithersheyharrisburg.org will give you a list of Hershey area accommodations.  Normally, the closer you are to the event the more expensive the rooms are.  If $$ is no object you will love the Hotel Hershey or the Hershey Lodge where the RMSothebys auction is held.  Book your reservations now and you might just catch a lower price.  Every once in awhile hotels forget about Hershey week and do not raise the price until they remember!    

• Like 2

Lancaster City to the east is not too far and a lot of places there as well. A bit more relaxed than Harrisburg area to the west. If I were staying though I would take Steve's advice and look for something in Hershey asap.  To ad to Walts suggestion, take clothes for about 3 seasons. Never know what you get in Hershey that time of year. May be chilly in the morning, raining in buckets or stinking hot. 

• Like 3

Hotels around Harrisburg are pretty reasonable and it's only a 30 minute drive away. If coming with a group and spending a few days, vrbo is probably worth looking at. Come early in the week (Tuesday or Wednesday) if possible for the best selection, you might be disappointed if you arrive later in the week. Comfortable shoes and clothing for anything from warm and sunny to cool and rainy. Cash....bring lots of cash.

I stay in my van in the Walmart parking lot. They allow overnight visitors,  They are open 24/7  so rest rooms are not a problem and the have night time security.  It is about 8 mi. from the event. 

Last time I went (2015), my buddie's wife went on one of the booking sites (Expedia, Hotels, Trevago...) and booked us for 3 nights (Wed Thur Fri) for about 35%-40% of the normal rates and the Hotel/Motel was a regular one (Quality Inns, etc) and was about 10-15 minute walk from the show. We figured we saved about $600 as the places are usually sold out at regular prices during this week. 

Team up with a buddy and share a flea market space, or better yet organize several like "teams" and get connecting spaces.  Set up and offer parts you no longer need for sale.  Sleep right in the space in whatever vehicle will accomodate you.  There will be room for 1 vehicle and space left for several tables under your easy-up canopy per space.  Bring empty 5 gallon drywall buckets that can be filled with water to hold the canopy down, you can't drive pegs into the blacktop.  You can open up and close down your emporium whenever you choose.  While open, one stays with the space, the other or others roam, take in the sights, meet up with old friends, and and shop.  Advantages are many, the cost is chump change, (imagine coming back from Hershey with more $$$ than you went there with), no commuting, a heated restroom and porta pottys are accessible all night, you can go out for food, buy it right in the flea market, or cook it there yourself.  In my 54 years of Hershey I only stayed at a motel once.

Bring your camera so you can take tons of photos. Take pics of stuff on tables for sale, cars, people, etc. The memories will be forever. Bring cash, as much as you are comfortable with. Double check your cellphone service.to be certain everything works as expected once you enter the US. Cell phones have become extra eyes in the swap Meer. As your friends scatter they can help hunt for each other, texting photos and space numbers as discoveries are made.  Be sure to visit the Hershey Region website for all kinds of info and advice as well as maps of the swap meet. Highly recommend you plan to see Friday's car show. It's one of the best you'll ever see.

Keep in touch on this forum

Terry

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)
  • Like 2

One of the most important thing  to know about Hershey wear comfortable sneakers and being boots for the parking fields since it’s still a muddy mess sometimes 

Not really germane to the original question but this year on Tuesday night there is going to be a literature sale by the AACA Library & Research Center, The Buick Heritage Alliance and a book sale and signing event by the Society of Automotive Historians at the AACA Headquarters.  4 big tents of literature and authors.  Great event last year and we will do better with the crowd control this year.  Tuesday starting at 4 PM.....don't miss this!!!  AACA is going to have some massive blow-out deals of duplicate literature!

• Like 1

I like the Days Inn on Chocolate Avenue.  It is older, but clean and well maintained, and has a parking garage.  It is very close to the show fields, and is walking distance to a number of restaurants as well.  In the past few years the price has gone way up, though.

Bring cash, bring cash, and bring cash. Be sure to have a good assortment of bills, few vendors have change. I use a backpack to carry stuff. Bring plastic bags and padding. A carburetor can dig in to your back for hours on end. Bring four pairs of shoes in the event of rain……you want to start off each day with dry feet. Have fun…..my 51 year.

• Like 3

Lodging isn't as bad as 30-40 years ago since the HERSHEY area has been built up so much. Remarkably, two friends went to HERSHEY last year and called a hotel two weeks before the start date and got a room. I would not wait however, get a room as soon as possible. This will be (God willing) our 55th year.

• Like 1

Ed mentioned a backpack; I used to use an army surplus pack-frame. More comfortable with the webbing, and the hard frame prevents that carburetor from digging into your back!

And another vote for comfortable clothing for anything from sleet and snow (1972), torrential rains (1978 I think), to very hot.

Have fun.

Jon

• Like 1

I find it so much easier to use one of those "Granny Wagons" rather than a backpack. I've witnessed everything from snow showers to 90 degree sunshine, so you should be prepared for every kind of weather, listen to the local HERSHEY weather report. HERSHEY has its own weather systems. I have a framed copy of the weather map from the USA Today newspaper from October 11th 2013 on my garage wall. HERSHEY had a record 9.5 inches of rain on October 10th and 11th. The reason I have the framed weather map is because the entire east coast is clear and sunny except for a dime size, green rain circle over the HERSHEY-Harrisburg area and it did not move in two day's. I remember calling some friends on Thursday telling them not to come to HERSHEY because or the torrential rain and they said the sun was out 40 miles away and hadn't rained a drop!

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Littlestown Mike said:

Which motels run shuttles to the flea market fields?

Last year's schedule for MOTELS was Hershey Lodge, Springhill Suites, Comfort Inn.  Hotel Hershey usually has a driver that can get you down the hill.  Make sure you get the Quad Fold brochure from National as it gives you more information about drop-off/pick up sites.