US Mint puts Duesenberg on a dollar

I just got my 2023 US Mint catalog today and when I turned to the American Innovation Dollar page, I discovered my new favorite US coin, supplanting the Augustus Saint Gaudens $20 of 1907-33. 

I don't know what the pioneer era car pictured is, but I recognize the Duesenberg and the modern Indy car. 

Unlike the $20 I'll actually be able to add this one to my collection. The question now is coin collection or automobilia collection? 

IMG_20230531_200309157.jpg

• Like 3

6 minutes ago, West Peterson said:

Good lord… they’ve depicted a replica Duesenberg!!! Sheesh almighty!!????

How are you distinguishing between the real and the replica?

These coins will be available only from the mint (or secondarily

from coin dealers who may buy them from the mint).  They are

legal tender and can circulate, but they are made only for collectors.

The mint charges a premium of about 20% over face value if you

buy them in bags of 100 or more.

I'll stock up and spend them at car shows.

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)
  • Like 3

13 hours ago, Billy Kingsley said:

I just got my 2023 US Mint catalog today and when I turned to the American Innovation Dollar page, I discovered my new favorite US coin, supplanting the Augustus Saint Gaudens $20 of 1907-33. 

I don't know what the pioneer era car pictured is, but I recognize the Duesenberg and the modern Indy car.  

Billy,

I still think the St. Gaudens coins look better.  Since the coin represents Indiana, the horseless carriage is probably a Haynes.

I was going to buy a few as soon as they are released, but given the way the car is messed up, I may not.

I noticed the exhaust pipes right away, it's a shame.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

The coins went on sale 8 minutes ago. I ordered a couple of bags, one from Denver and one from Philadelphia. Should be a fun keepsake and something to hand out to kids and stuff like that

26 minutes ago, Hemi Joel said:

The coins went on sale 8 minutes ago. I ordered a couple of bags, one from Denver and one from Philadelphia. Should be a fun keepsake and something to hand out to kids and stuff like that

Hey Joel………can you spare a dime? Or a few hundred dollars……….fuel for the JN is killing me! 😉

• Haha 2

Methinks some of you may be overly critical.

The engraver probably never heard of a Duesenberg until told to engrave the design; and looked up a picture on the internet (which is NEVER wrong!).

I am just happy that the mint decided to place some early automobiles on their coins.

Jon

• Like 2

19 hours ago, edinmass said:

Hey Joel………can you spare a dime? Or a few hundred dollars……….fuel for the JN is killing me! 😉

My Gramps always said; " Don't by the yacht if you can't afford the gas." 😉🙃 

• Haha 1

Despite the very wrong Duesenberg on the coins, I purchased a roll.

Hopefully they're not worth more for scrap weight than face value, soon.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, zepher said:

Despite the very wrong Duesenberg on the coins, I purchased a roll.

Hopefully they're not worth more for scrap weight than face value, soon.

Zepher, you don't want them to be worth more for metal content

than for face value?

Actually, there is only base metal in them--nothing precious.

They will always be worth a dollar.  Maybe slightly more, eventually,

as collectibles.  Have fun spending them at the next car show!

• Like 2

Us dedicated car guys can pick out all the flaws. But most people won't know. Still a fun thing to have available. 

• Like 2

On a totally unrelated, but similar subject:

In 1957, my parents purchased a set of encyclopedia to help me with homework, and to save them trips to the local library.

The current study in science was snakes, so when the books arrived, I immediately turned to the picture of a rattlesnake. The "rattlesnake" pictured had a skin of solid dark background (the picture was black and white), and featured three light-colored longitudinal stripes.

After that, the encyclopedia received very little use; and we still made trips to the library.

Jon

2 hours ago, carbking said:

On a totally unrelated, but similar subject:

In 1957, my parents purchased a set of encyclopedia to help me with homework, and to save them trips to the local library.

The current study in science was snakes, so when the books arrived, I immediately turned to the picture of a rattlesnake. The "rattlesnake" pictured had a skin of solid dark background (the picture was black and white), and featured three light-colored longitudinal stripes.

After that, the encyclopedia received very little use; and we still made trips to the library.

Jon

And yet, your 1957 encyclopedia is still vastly more accurate than today's "misinformation superhighway"

• Like 3

2 hours ago, carbking said:

n 1957, my parents purchased a set of encyclopedia to help me with homework, and to save them trips to the local library.

In 1959 my mother helped me buy the five volume set of Mcgraw Hill mechanics books by William Crouse. They are still good reading and accurate, much more accurate than the "mechanics" I had been listening to at the garages and junkyards in town.

"Homework". That has me laughing right now. The dining room table was right inside our front door. My school books were always right there on the corner. Coming in and leaving.

Still off topic, when I was in Junior High the English teacher assigned American literature to read. One Author was Brett Hart. I took the test on the story and got every question wrong except one. The teacher looked at me dumbfounded and asked "How can you get every quest wrong on the test except one?" I replied "The reward is always $10,000." He didn't know that? I have had to live with that kind of situation most of my life.

Slight subject change but on the subject of"Who in the hell checks the authenticity?" Old movie,7 brides for 7 brothers". Pretty good one,watched it with the former wife a time or two.  Then there is a series spinoff of the same title. In one scene the brothers are headed out in an alleged " whiteout" to look for someone who is lost,the oldest says we'll head for an area between that ridge over there 20 miles away,and that one there 15 miles away. In a "whiteout" you can't see the fence in front of the house,let alone that ridge 20 miles away. Then in another episode they are going to lose the farm because the 8N style FORD tractor has a bad driveshaft,they don't have money to fix it and without it they can't get the harvest in and will go broke and lose the farm. So in one scene one of the brothers is under the tractor supposedly welding on the driveshaft to patch it up,I don't know what he's welding on but it's not the driveshaft. You can't even see the driveshaft unless you split the tractor in half. In a later scene they have a new shaft and the farm is saved. But this one has two shielded U-joints like you would run a baler off the power takeoff with. I suppose the average city slicker wouldn't have thought anything about it all but I almost fell out of my chair. Not that I'm a farmer but I did work for my uncle who farmed and ranched north of Rapid City some summers when I was a kid and can recognize rediculousness when I see it. Anybody else see it?

I received my roll of coins the other day.

I have not broken open the roll but the coins do look nice, albeit they are smaller than I expected.

The coins are just a tad larger than a quarter.