How many Brass Era makes still have a model extant?

Of course I don't expect anyone to know an exact answer to this question, but I was thinking the other day...

Most postwar cars the production numbers were large enough, and the makes relatively few, that even today there's hardly any cars where there's not at least one extant of every model and trim level in a given year, even from smaller production makes. Often you can even find a picture of someone with the exact factory color/trim combo you have in mind.

However for the Brass Era cars, obviously production was much smaller and there were a multitude of makes that only made a few cars. Plus due to WWII scrap drives, lack of parts from defunct manufacturers, shorter vehicle life, faster obsolescence, and the concept of "classic automobiles" not reaching the public consciousness until at least the 1930's, the survival rate on the Brass Era cars expectedly very low.

Does anyone know of some "only one left" Brass Era cars from a make that pretty much no one has heard of?

For example, this is the only Pratt-Elkhart I can find documented online.

P.S. I know I'm new to this forum, but I own two '55 Packards, so if you want to read more about me please check out my profile on packardinfo.com. Thanks all.

Edited by human-potato_hybrid (see edit history)

I don't know how anyone could possibly know. You could tabulate surviving cars from club rosters but that would miss anyone who did not belong to a club. Surprisingly, to this day, completely unrestored examples still surface occasionally... often from the estates of old collectors who never got around to working on them. We've seen that several times here. Another issue would be that early on in collecting, cars were frequently miss-dated...usually described as older than they really were so even if you had a complete list of every car in club rosters you still would be in the dark concerning many of the dates.

• Like 3

There are several documented examples of sole surviving examples of obscure makes. I can't name them off the top of my head but every once in a while something comes up quoted as an only survivor. Of course with later cars rather than stating a particular car is the 'the' only surviving example, it is better to put 'thought to be'. I have one of those 'thought to be' cars, being 'thought to be' the only known right hand drive example of its model. I have a car and a motorcycle which are 'thought to be' the only known examples in this country. I do recall a couple of cars at Harrah's museum from my visit there in 1978 which were 'thought to be' the only surviving examples - one was a twin-engined Chalmers(?)

PICT0008 resize.JPG

• Like 2

The Adams Farwell is pretty well documented. There is only one well-known survivor of the 52 cars built.  Read more about it at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adams_Company

The car has an unusual 5-cylinder rotary engine. 

Terry

Adams Farwell.jpg

• Like 2

41 minutes ago, Terry Bond said:

The Adams Farwell is pretty well documented. There is only one well-known survivor of the 52 cars built.  Read more about it at https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Adams_Company

The car has an unusual 5-cylinder rotary engine. 

Thanks for the lead Terry, interesting read. Funny to think that much of the idea behind the dual clutch transmissions in the recent supercars of today was pioneered in 1908.

Edited by human-potato_hybrid (see edit history)

The basic problem is just what qualifies as a  " make " ? A close look at the Standard Catalog { Kimes , Clark and others } shows many  " makes " that either had no real production, or production in very small numbers.

And in quite a few cases very little documentation has survived so things like production numbers for  early cars can be quite unreliable.

Look at aircraft for example. In the 1970's quite a few WW2 era aircraft types were thought to be extinct. But one by one a number have been recovered from lake bottoms or very remote crash sites and boosted the number of known surviving aircraft types.

I expect a similar process is happening with early cars as well.

My Russell-Knight is "thought to be" the only 1910 model remaining.   Built in Canada, it pre-dates any of the American Knight engined cars.  There is just a handful of intact Russell-Knight cars of any year known to exist.

• Like 1

It might be interesting for someone who has one to start a "Sole Survivor" topic, where members can post pics and notes of Models (or sub-models) for which there is only one known survivor. A couple of such cars are mentioned here, and even though one is never sure such orphans are the only one, their rarity and reasons for being the only one make for interesting reads. I have a Canadian made 1931 Chrysler CD8 Roadster under rebuild, and as far as I am able to ascertain, it is one of only about 4-8 such cars assembled in Canada in 1931 (Canadian serial number 9820125) and the sole survivor. But there are likely 3 or 4 dozen Chrysler CD8 Roadsters still around from about 1700 built in Canada and USA, so mine has some relatives still around. 

• Like 1

JV P, Records indicate 2000 Chrysler CM6 cars of all models (sedans, coupes, roadsters etc) were assembled in Canada for 1931 model year. In USA CD8 Roadster ratio was about 8% of total production for all CD8 models, but USA has a climate much more suitable to roadsters. So assuming this ratio for CM6 Roadster, and a reduction to the ratio for Canada (cold climate etc) to about 2%-4% of total 2000 production, or so, I'm guessing about 40-80 CM6 Roadsters may have sold in Canada. A survival rate of 1%-2% would suggest there may be 5-10 or so still around, but who knows. Production records for Canada are no longer available, lost many years ago.

Edited by Gunsmoke (see edit history)

To address the original poster. I have seen several Pratt-Elkharts in person. I did a quick online search and found 4 different cars on the first page of results alone.

There are many unique survivors of brass-era cars.

Here's our 1904 Sommer, which I believe is the sole survivor. The Sommer Motor Company built cars for 11 months. Their total production was approximately 100 vehicles. The photos are two years old. We're currently restoring it.

IMG_0548.JPG

IMG_0550.JPG

• Like 12
  • Thanks 1

My 1912 Garford was restored by Bill Harrah in the early 70’s. At that time they could not find another example. In the over 25 years I have owned it I have run down several leads only to find a Studebaker-Garford. A few years ago Terry Bond started an excellent thread titled “The One Eyed Garford” if you are interested. 

FF40FBFC-CE2B-4FBF-BD51-13D2E9BBD69B.jpeg

• Like 6

On 3/6/2023 at 8:30 AM, playswithbrass said:

Greg (1912 Staver) you have a car that qualifies. How about a picture of what you have. This is what dreams are made of,or nightmares!

Yes, both dreams and nightmares. 

No current photo's, but here is a link to my flickr page. It's even more apart now. Mostly boxed up for my move to a new house. I hate moving , and this one is after 27 years in the same place. It's going to be my full time job for some months to come.

Just click on this photo and it will take you there. Not sure why the link looks like this. 

The yellow roadster is not my car ! { I wish }.  The Wigglesworth roadster , currently on display at Owl's Head.

1912 Staver Chicago

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 4

3 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

Yes, both dreams and nightmares. 

No current photo's, but here is a link to my flickr page. It's even more apart now. Mostly boxed up for my move to a new house. I hate moving , and this one is after 27 years in the same place. It's going to be my full time job for some months to come.

Just click on this photo and it will take you there. Not sure why the link looks like this. 

The yellow roadster is not my car ! { I wish }.  The Wigglesworth roadster , currently on display at Owl's Head.

1912 Staver Chicago

As close as I'll ever get to one of them. 

Terry

Staver.JPG

Edited by Terry Bond (see edit history)

Yes , the last 5 are when the previous owner mocked it up in preperation to offering it for sale. Some of what is shown is no longer with it. The gas tank and engine . That engine was a incorrect engine from another make that did not fit the frame even remotely closely. I need an engine from a sub frame car. I have quite a bit of the engine but no crankcase, cams, followers, timing gear's etc. Or something like a Wisconsin from a F.W.D. truck if I am going to go the substitute engine route.  I have a different tank. There are boxes and boxes of small parts. A really big jigsaw puzzle with about 25 % of the pieces missing. 

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 2

• 2 months later...

Life got in the way and I'm just now revisiting this topic. Thank you to everyone who replied and especially those with new cars, @Bloo, @playswithbrass, @Robert G. Smits.

@Joe in Canada Thanks for the lead about the Pollards Fire, I'm reading about it. P.S. Hope you don't mind that my '55 Packard is an Automatic. My excuse is that the 400's were not offered with a manual. 😅

@Gunsmoke I think a "Sole Survivor" topic/index would be very interesting. Perhaps it should be that someone would make a thread about each make so that the relevant comments end up in the same place, and link the thread to a master/pinned thread that serves as an index.

@Chris Paulsen I am reading through your thread on your 1904. Very interesting and I'm sure it's a project we all wish we could be working on! 

• Like 3

I saw this car at the Luray Caverns (Virginia) museum when I was in the vicinity for the Luray Swap Meet last month.  Reportedly the only Middleby in existence.

A29048A9-0121-4995-9484-8DBB031F069B.jpeg

EE12EFD4-B6D4-4618-ABE1-852A3C1BCEA5.jpeg

• Like 3

Louie Biondi had a Middleby, think his family sold it. I've always thought the 1899 Hertel was unique, Fountinhead is the current caretaker. It can be seen touring NYC in a movie shot by Thomas Edison in 1899. 1899 (Oakman) Hertel Runabout at the Fountainhead Museum, Fairbanks Alaska - Photo and Videos - Antique Automobile Club of America - Discussion Forums (aaca.org)

• Like 1

There is one example of the Dolson automobile left. I have a particular interest in it as it was made in my hometown of Charlotte, MI. The family that owns the local funeral home owns the car now, along with a fine collection of other cars. Interestingly enough, the Dolson factory and the home of the company founder still exist.

• Like 1

On 3/6/2023 at 8:34 PM, 8E45E said:

A photo I took of it in 2019 in Reno.

06_Adams-Farwell.jpg

My grandfather Emerson Clavel owned this car in the 1950s. Wauchula, FL. Put my mom, aunt and uncle through Florida State University with its sale.

• Like 1

• 8 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Some new entries:

A 1914 Cleveland cycle car is said to be extant, but I can't confirm or find any photo. Not to be confused with the other 1914 Cleveland cycle car called "the aristocrat of cycle cars" (which I can't find any of either). (Cleveland's Colorful Characters, Kit Whipple)

One 1910 Alliance was made, and it survives as a museum piece after being stashed since 1971.

May be an image of 4 people and text that says 'ALLIANCE yAnsesters Muntet Alliance Historical Society Alliance Car Built in 1910'

Of only four made from their factory in Cleveland, one Krastin still exists, in Latvia of all places. Though August Krastin was a Latvian immigrant, explaining the connection.

undefined

Another expatriate, there is only one known survivor from Pennington of Cleveland, now located in London. It is a peculiarly constructed 3-wheel cyclecar with a bicycle seat and controls.

Pennington-Autocar-1896-800x634.jpg 

• Like 3

How about a Canadian made 1914 Buick model M55 aluminum body 7 passenger touring. The M55 is 5 in wider at the cowl than the B55. Of 3 M55 were made this is the only survivor left and it is complete with an extra engine. Still in pieces in Oshawa that may be on the road some day. Have pictures of it on another computer that is giving me a hard time. 

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 6/2/2023 at 10:13 PM, Akstraw said:

I saw this car at the Luray Caverns (Virginia) museum when I was in the vicinity for the Luray Swap Meet last month.  Reportedly the only Middleby in existence.

A29048A9-0121-4995-9484-8DBB031F069B.jpeg

There is a restored Middleby in the Boyertown Museum in PA.

09_Middleby_01.jpg

09_Middleby_02.jpg

• Like 4

Great stuff. I never intended to be an Orphan owner, but it’s worked out that way.  Years ago a friend had to sell his large collection.  I bought what I considered his “best” Brass car, a 1912 Pratt Thirty. While there are a number of Pratts extant, ours is said to be the only “Thirty”. Also bought two others from him at the time. The 1898 Aldrich, now restored and in the AACA Museum, and the nee 1903 Champion Motor Wagon built here in Owego. I say née because I think it’s closer to 1906. Both “only one’s”.
But the most fascinating and rewarding “find” was the 1914 O-We-Go Cyclecar.  Thanks always to Audi Harrison who discovered “something” very derelict in Utah. His research narrowed it down to be the remains of an O-We-Go. He had no engine. I had two NOS engines. The car is now restored and in the Northeast Classic Car Museum in Norwich NY. I don’t know how many other Cyclecars I have chased down because of claiming it is the only one. They have all proven to be otherwise. 
The latest orphan we have taken in is a 1912 Babcock Model H touring. From the Mark Smith collection, there is, apparently only one other, in the Jefferson County Historical Society, Watertown, NY, where they were built. 
That one, I believe, is listed as 1910. It has no front doors, and is a Brass car. Ours is nearly identical (outside anyway) with front doors and it’s a Nickel car. 
Pardon me going on and on, but I like a good yarn as much as the next fellow.  By the way, I’m searching for a pair of nickel gas headlights for the Babcock……

• Like 2

On 2/29/2024 at 10:34 PM, Jim Mead said:

Great stuff. I never intended to be an Orphan owner, but it’s worked out that way.  Years ago a friend had to sell his large collection.  I bought what I considered his “best” Brass car, a 1912 Pratt Thirty. While there are a number of Pratts extant, ours is said to be the only “Thirty”. Also bought two others from him at the time. The 1898 Aldrich, now restored and in the AACA Museum, and the nee 1903 Champion Motor Wagon built here in Owego. I say née because I think it’s closer to 1906. Both “only one’s”.
But the most fascinating and rewarding “find” was the 1914 O-We-Go Cyclecar.  Thanks always to Audi Harrison who discovered “something” very derelict in Utah. His research narrowed it down to be the remains of an O-We-Go. He had no engine. I had two NOS engines. The car is now restored and in the Northeast Classic Car Museum in Norwich NY. I don’t know how many other Cyclecars I have chased down because of claiming it is the only one. They have all proven to be otherwise. 
The latest orphan we have taken in is a 1912 Babcock Model H touring. From the Mark Smith collection, there is, apparently only one other, in the Jefferson County Historical Society, Watertown, NY, where they were built. 
That one, I believe, is listed as 1910. It has no front doors, and is a Brass car. Ours is nearly identical (outside anyway) with front doors and it’s a Nickel car. 
Pardon me going on and on, but I like a good yarn as much as the next fellow.  By the way, I’m searching for a pair of nickel gas headlights for the Babcock……

I've learned to "Never say 'never'."  Just when you think you heard it all, another one mysteriously surfaces that's been under the radar.  One can thank both the fall of the Iron Curtain, and the rise of the Internet for that.

I saw that Aldrich last fall.

1897_Aldrich.jpg.e6ba9ade12b66ead8a99020886f10cab.jpg

• Like 1

1905 Buick, Nethercutt Museum

1905_Buick.jpg.2f6a17158995027a6c2bd4520ec3ca5d.jpg

1909 Regal, LeMay Museum, Tacoma.

1909Regal.jpg.0d93bf926f8fcf763b8dac4d95186e83.jpg

1907 Russell touring, Western Development Museum, Moose Jaw

11mj004.jpg.f0cd41989e20139b7740bd1677deeb7d.jpg

1914 Westinghouse.

1914_Westinghouse.jpg.0f7ea039827c5f51489365db30fdf6f7.jpg

1904 Knox

04_Knox-02.jpg.24649b9b63bed477980784a29493964e.jpg

1908 Sears, Towe Museum

1908_Sears.jpg.3978dfc9234e0e70972bff18e9f1c9b9.jpg.

Shame this 1913 Gregorie 'Triple Berline' didn't survive the Great War.

13_Gregoire_TB.jpg.59258adfcb78d3df0d35132f5b785788.jpg

Craig

• Like 3

1901 DeDion Bouton 'vis-a-vis' touring. National Automobile Museum, Reno.

03_DeDion.jpg.cb309704ce342296827a3c3d5b4af827.jpg

1903 Cadillac.

03_Cadillac.jpg.7bf868c214e78ddff3f6eeaf852eada5.jpg

1903 Cameron.

03_Cameron_1.jpg.bcb49a4ee73141a097b88d30ae4cb7e3.jpg

1913 Stanley Steamer, Swigert Museum.

13_Stanley.jpg.80c62f63a80f851a729d58c445f89b3d.jpg

1902 Packard Model F, National Packard Museum, Warren, OH.

02_Packard_F_01.jpg.39dfa251e8538d018a110594944bb0ac.jpg

Craig

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, 8E45E said:

1901 DeDion Bouton 'vis-a-vis' touring. National Automobile Museum, Reno.

03_DeDion.jpg.cb309704ce342296827a3c3d5b4af827.jpg

I see why early automobilists complained about driving French cars on American roads. Putting the radiator in front of and below the front suspension was... a choice.

• Like 1