Tools to get our Antique Automobiles on the road and keep them running.

Dandy Dave

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

Got me laughing. That seems to imply that folks in those days knew how to. I have a set in the back of the drawer that were loaned out to "He's got a lot of experience. You can learn a lot from him". All beaten and smashed for setting valves. And he ain't the only one of his ilk who brought back stuff broken. Historical fiction.

Setting valves I rarely use feeler gages. I find the Threads Per Inch on the adjuster and divide that up. Works every time and more accurately. 20 threads per inch would be .050 thousands for 1 full turn. 1/4th of a turn = 12.5. 1/3 of a turn = .016. Etc. Often with wear in the valve train feeler gages will give you a faults reading.  

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Dandy Dave said:

Setting valves I rarely use feeler gauges.

Me either. I am pretty sure the old know-it-all is dead by now. I doubt if he would have listened if I passed that on anyway.

I just keep those in a drawer where I see them every once in a while and recall his litany of hardships that made him better than anyone younger could have been. Brought back my broken tool and said he did it by ear. I guess one step could have been eliminated.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Dandy Dave said:

I was thinking about feeler gages a few days ago. Often when setting up end play in a shaft feeler gages will get you close. I usually use a Dial Indicator. It doesn't lie.

I still use feeler gauges when I gap/re-gap spark plugs for my lawn equipment.

• Like 1

Dave is right on. The tip of the rocker almost always is worn with a "cup" worn by the top of the valve. A feeler will bridge that giving a false clearance reading. If I really want to get serious I use a dial indicator

Bill, I remember the hassle installing tires on my split rims before I got a spreader. What a PITA.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

19 hours ago, dship said:

I still use feeler gauges when I gap/re-gap spark plugs for my lawn equipment.

You use the round ones? There the only ones that will do it accurately.

• Like 2

26 minutes ago, Dandy Dave said:

You use the round ones? There the only ones that will do it accurately.

No, I use the flat ones but they're close enough for lawn equipment.  They were my dad's going back to the mid-forties.  I keep them oiled in an old canvas finger that was cut off a pair of gloves. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, dship said:

No, I use the flat ones but they're close enough for lawn equipment.  They were my dad's going back to the mid-forties.  I keep them oiled in an old canvas finger that was cut off a pair of gloves. 

Nice that you keep them oiled. As an old timer use to say in the machine shop of my youth. "Close enough for government work." 🙂

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Dandy Dave said:

Nice that you keep them oiled. As an old timer use to say in the machine shop of my youth. "Close enough for government work." 🙂

My dad, being 30-year career Navy use to say that all the time!

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, dship said:

As an old timer use to say in the machine shop of my youth. "Close enough for government work." 🙂

I have worked with an observed many old timers, even my own age, who use their palm as a necessary tool for each job. The laying or patting of the palm in a very ceremonious manner. It may be related to the diminishing of all the senses but touch, but even young people rely on touch as the best form of validation.

Non repair fender pats are most common. Two firm but relatively gentle fender pats are most common. You see them frequently as cruise nights or from visitors to your garage. The palm pat applied directly to repair work is usually a hard slap upon completion. In non-automotive applications I have seen the older mechanic set up a series of delicate pivot points and balance beams in a pneumatic control cabinet close the door after final adjustment and slap the side of the side sharply in the act of an apparent completion "blessing". They are the ones who may utter the government comment.

As I write this my wife just walked by and I am reminded of the time I tried to teach her the importance of using your little finger in operating a pair of pliers. I guess that is common but a whole different can of worms. Like setting a screw and using a screwdriver with one hand. I have always told her those are things of the Male Mystique.  She still uses the term.

Anyway, as the new season begins watch for the ceremonious palm touches.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

I’ve struggled the past two days to install on new rear brake shoes the bottom spring and adjuster. The parking brake cable was attached. I used a c-clamp to hold the shoes together at the top. It worked well. Also in my youth (1966) I observed an old expert mechanic wrap his large ear flap around my two Sunbeam Alpine carbs in order to synchronize them (one carb at a time). 

1 hour ago, 60FlatTop said:

I have worked with an observed many old timers, even my own age, who use their palm as a necessary tool for each job. The laying or patting of the palm in a very ceremonious manner. It may be related to the diminishing of all the senses but touch, but even young people rely on touch as the best form of validation.

Non repair fender pats are most common. Two firm but relatively gentle fender pats are most common. You see them frequently as cruise nights or from visitors to your garage. The palm pat applied directly to repair work is usually a hard slap upon completion. In non-automotive applications I have seen the older mechanic set up a series of delicate pivot points and balance beams in a pneumatic control cabinet close the door after final adjustment and slap the side of the side sharply in the act of an apparent completion "blessing". They are the ones who may utter the government comment.

As I write this my wife just walked by and I am reminded of the time I tried to teach her the importance of using your little finger in operating a pair of pliers. I guess that is common but a whole different can of worms. Like setting a screw and using a screwdriver with one hand. I have always told her those are things of the Male Mystique.  She still uses the term.

Anyway, as the new season begins watch for the ceremonious palm touches.

The use of the palm reminded me of those hundreds of wheel covers that I used to put on with the use of my palm. A rubber mallet would sometime dent the wheel cover so most were installed by hand.

• Like 3

53 minutes ago, Shootey said:

Also in my youth (1966) I observed an old expert mechanic wrap his large ear flap around my two Sunbeam Alpine carbs in order to synchronize them (one carb at a time). 

This is how I learned about the same time, only it was an MG TD rather than the Alpine. Used a length of small rubber tubing (stick it in your ear! ;) )

Jon

• Like 4

56 minutes ago, ch1929 said:

The use of the palm reminded me of those hundreds of wheel covers that I used to put on with the use of my palm. A rubber mallet would sometime dent the wheel cover so most were installed by hand.

I tried that with one of these and quickly regretted it... those fins are painful.s-l500.jpg

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, ch1929 said:

Been there, done that many times back in the day.

• Like 1

I used to work with a guy that every time I palmed smacked something into place he would yell out "WORKMANS COMP".

I use my comp hammer more and more these days. The irony of the name is interesting because of that guy.

Here is the list for the factory supplied tool kit for the museum's 1928 and 1934 Lombard tractor-Trucks. Needless to say it would be nice to have a complete set but looking at the supplied tool box I have to wonder if all this would fit!

TOOLKit.jpg.6e78e3ac26c8c9f97e70b338e32231fe.jpg

And... they were kind enough to provide a trouble light.

image.png.3e8b19de5a90aeb5b63477f9a2d93f5a.png

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, JACK M said:

I used to work with a guy that every time I palmed smacked something into place he would yell out "WORKMANS COMP".

I use my comp hammer more and more these days. The irony of the name is interesting because of that guy.

That's why there's a lot of Carpel Tunnel going around. The abuse we put ourselves thru.  

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

12 hours ago, Terry Harper said:

And... they were kind enough to provide a trouble light.

image.png.3e8b19de5a90aeb5b63477f9a2d93f5a.png

Oh yea, the old 100W light bulb trouble light!  Those suckers would get really hot to touch.

• Like 2

When I see these candid pictures of people's workshops and notice the clean shiny handles on the equipment I am always reminded of the time my Dad came home from work with the joke about the coal miner on his honeymoon.

• Haha 3

3 hours ago, dship said:

Oh yea, the old 100W light bulb trouble light!  Those suckers would get really hot to touch.

In the shop I learned to use the 50 watt rough service bulbs. Way easier on your arms and the carpet! Plus the 50 watt filaments were more stout than the 100 watt filaments, so they lasted longer. Until the MIG weld splatter let the air in....:D

• Thanks 1

I'm glad those old incandescent droplights have gone away in recent years. Been burned more times than I can remember. Had new bulbs just blow out for no reason. Had them blow out because water dripped on them. Also the spark from the welder thing letting the air in. And of course they either would not shine where you wanted them to, or blinded you when you hung them up. We have some LED lights around the shop with a hook and a magnet. Still not always perfect, but much better than what we have had in the past in my opinion.  

• Like 3

Never leave one of those unattended. I did, and while I was over in another section of the building, a bulb exploded, broke the lens and sprayed pieces hot broken glass everywhere. Some of those pieces landed on a nearby table that had papers on it. The papers had holes in them bigger than the pieces of glass. Apparently they caught fire and went out. It could have easily burned the building down.

• Like 3

10 hours ago, Bloo said:

Never leave one of those unattended. I did, and while I was over in another section of the building, a bulb exploded, broke the lens and sprayed pieces hot broken glass everywhere. Some of those pieces landed on a nearby table that had papers on it. The papers had holes in them bigger than the pieces of glass. Apparently they caught fire and went out. It could have easily burned the building down.

Hopefully not the blue prints. 😬

• Like 1

19 hours ago, SC38dls said:

What the heck Dandy Dave you must have the monopoly on big boy cool toys in New England. 
what else do you have to play with or build your own car with? 
dave s 

I've only just begun. Like my signature says. Tools is first on the list for a reason. Knowing how to use them is also key. Hoping others will join in with tools that are common, or not so common, so folks that don't know can learn from this thread.   

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 3/10/2023 at 7:54 PM, rocketraider said:

And you can't give the things away now.

I have six of them specifically for spot heaters.

I have 2 two tube 4" LED fixtures set up to slide under cars I am working on.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

On 3/10/2023 at 8:41 PM, Bloo said:

I had an aquaintance that lost a Hupmobile and a XKE when his shop burned to the ground. It was started by a drop light and gasoline that had spilled on the ground.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

A Chevrolet dealer in Arlington  VA also had a fire from drop light and spilled gasoline. 1990s. 

I always put the drop lights away when I was working with gasoline. Anything that can spark is bad in the danger zone, defined as up to 18” above the surface gasoline is on. 

I bought an LED replacement bulb for one of those 300/500 watt halogen flood lights. I have not installed it yet. Usually the lamps fail at the socket when they are out in the weather, so easier to replace the lamp entirely. 👍

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1