Fill Up With Ethyl At Ethyls.

George Smolinski

While we're in here, what car are the Mertzes and Ricardos in?

Great pictures! Especially with the Texaco gas pump and the Triple-A sign.

My great-uncle Warner ran a small country store like that. It had a Texaco pump that stayed there long after the store had closed and become his daughter's storage building. Then one morning in early 70s they found the mounting bolts torched off and no pump.

Uncle Warner's shiftless great-great grandson has let the store building go to ruin. Waiting to ride by it and find it has collapsed in on itself.

• Like 1

Ha ha ha the picture was from an I Love Lucy episode where they were going  to motor to California. Fred offered to furnish a Cadillac convertible - and showed up in this 1922 model. That was the joke. Instead Ricky bought a new 1956 Pontiac convertible for the trip.

Why can't they make shows as funny as that one anymore?

Edited by Rusty_OToole (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Rusty_OToole said:

Ha ha ha the picture was from an I Love Lucy episode where they were going  to motor to California. Fred offered to furnish a Cadillac convertible - and showed up in this 1922 model. That was the joke. Instead Ricky bought a new 1956 Pontiac convertible for the trip.

Why can't they make shows as funny as that one anymore?

Ricky bought a 1955 StarChief convertible image.jpeg.154a9bab2fa28361dcd5b708803b14cb.jpeg

Lucy rear ends the Cad image.jpeg.8d11112a811ea7478defae2837073d58.jpeg

• Haha 1

Ethyl is not a common woman's name. My paternal grandmother was named Ethyl. Her father, Sam Efford, had emigrated to the US from Guernsey Island with the trade of a stone cutter. That put them at the lace doily level. The daughters were named Ethyl, Mod, Minnie, and Annie.

My mother's family was farming Irish straight from Ireland. When my father introduced my mother to his family my mother came home and her sister's thought it was hilarious all the women had the names of their cows.

Not tetra-ethylene, but a good story. Also interesting is the story of the dispossessed Irish to Guernsey Island. It will rock you.

Edited by 60FlatTop (see edit history)
  • Like 4

5 hours ago, Harold said:

Notice they left out the windshield when the Pontiac was built....

Most likely taken out by the studio for filming drivers and passengers. They also use anti-glare spray to dull the bodywork of film cars to prevent glare back to the camera.