1973 chevelle SS BB 4 speed value ?

3boys442

I had that same color in my 1973 SS that I bought new.  Mine was 350ci with the automatic trans.  The 454 and 4 speed make it more unique and the lack of visible rust out makes it quite unusual for the year.  There will be a fair amount of work required to bring it back to life, brakes, carburetor, gas tank, tires just to name a few and that cost has to be figured into the value.  I seem to recall the auction site Bring a Trailer had one of these a while back.  Might check there for a sale value of a running and driving car.

• Like 2

Research through all known auction results and compare each to your car.

That’s how all appraisers, insurance adjusters or value guides come up with their “numbers”.

Anything else, including “opinions” offered here or any other online forums are just those and you probably know what they say about “opinions”.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 3boys442 said:

A friend has a 1973 chevelle SS 454 4speed all original. 43,000 miles been in garage last 30 years. Any help in finding the value of the car would be a help. 

and not a value of “what ever someone is willing to pay “.   Thanks. 

9C31A76B-5C8F-4DD0-910A-E25289FBFC76.jpeg

5D0D874B-6A13-4911-A09A-33D905728C00.jpeg

The Colonade style Chevelle does not bring the money of the earlier cars.    Value will depend on the following questions:

1.  What does the underneath look like?  i.e. rust, rot?

2.  Does it have its original engine/transmission/rear end?

3.  Paperwork?     Very important with a chevy as there is no Marti report or PHS that you can order.

4.  Condition - does it run?  When was the last time it ran?

I like the color combo if that is original to the car.

Depending on the answers to 1-4 the value is somewhere between 15K and 45k.

EDIT:  Location will affect price also.   I know a great car that sat in a remote corner of Idaho much longer than it should have because you couldn't get there from anywhere.

Edited by alsancle (see edit history)
  • Like 1

6 hours ago, 3boys442 said:

not a value of “what ever someone is willing to pay “.   Thanks

I don’t know about the someone you mention & what they’re willing to pay, but based on info & photos provided, I’m willing to pay $10,000 as it sits with a legitimate title. BTW, NADA book for one in High Retail condition is 10,702. High Retail = The vehicle is in excellent condition overall, fully restored or a very well-maintained original showing very minimal wear with no reconditioning needed. It may be considered a 'matching-numbers' vehicle. It is not a '100-point' or '# 1' vehicle. A vehicle of this caliber may be worth more than the high-retail value. Not driven, this vehicle is stored in climate-regulated facilities, transported in enclosed trailers to concours judging and car shows or displayed in a museum. This car is not like that description.

5 hours ago, alsancle said:

Depending on the answers to 1-4 the value is somewhere between 15K and 45k

Maybe in another person’s dreams, but not in mine or my reality. Looking at the decrepit building it was stored in, there’s bound to be issues including mice.

Unfortunately the MC is more popular and commands more money than a Colonnade, even a rarity like a big-block 4-speed SS.

A longtime friend has two 73 SS cars, including the 454 automatic he ordered and bought our senior year at age 17- on bagboy money.  Even he tells me the cars are unpopular and bring half the money of a 69-72 Chevelle in comparable or lesser condition.

Many years ago we parked it, my 1974 Hurst/Olds, a 1977 Pontiac CanAM and a 1974 Laguna S3 as a group at a cruise night and got almost completely ignored, plus the disparaging comments from the 69-72 A-body crowd. But there were a few people who knew what they were seeing at that small-town Virginia cruise night, and said we needed to find a Colonnade GS to go with them.

I know a guy who, like Jimmy, has owned his 1974 GS Stage 1 since high school. The next time they appeared together, the GS was with them. And people STILL didn't know what they were looking at!🙄

But I don't subscribe to the idiot mentality that GM didn't build cars after 1972 either.🙃

• Like 2

1 hour ago, 3boys442 said:

I have a 1973 442. 350 4speed car.  I know what you mean. I love my car. I drive one in high school and had to get another one. 

F129F949-946E-4E7F-9225-B4463D4F3AB3.jpeg

I do not want to derail this thread,   but I have never seen a four speed in that era 442.    The four speed in any Colonade style GM like the subject of this thread is very rare.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, George Smolinski said:

I don’t know about the someone you mention & what they’re willing to pay, but based on info & photos provided, I’m willing to pay $10,000 as it sits with a legitimate title. BTW, NADA book for one in High Retail condition is 10,702. High Retail = The vehicle is in excellent condition overall, fully restored or a very well-maintained original showing very minimal wear with no reconditioning needed. It may be considered a 'matching-numbers' vehicle. It is not a '100-point' or '# 1' vehicle. A vehicle of this caliber may be worth more than the high-retail value. Not driven, this vehicle is stored in climate-regulated facilities, transported in enclosed trailers to concours judging and car shows or displayed in a museum. This car is not like that description.

Maybe in another person’s dreams, but not in mine or my reality. Looking at the decrepit building it was stored in, there’s bound to be issues including mice.

I should have probably said 7,500-45k to cover the case where it has a non original non running engine and is rotted to death.   But George,  if it is a 35k one owner car with paperwork and original paint I think it might be worth more than you would think.    And I like I said before, the Colonade style is not the same market as the 68-72.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Many years ago we parked it, my 1974 Hurst/Olds, a 1977 Pontiac CanAM and a 1974 Laguna S3 as a group at a cruise night and got almost completely ignored, plus the disparaging comments from the 69-72 A-body crowd.

But I don't subscribe to the idiot mentality that GM didn't build cars after 1972 either.🙃

The '68-'72 GM intermediates have a bigger following and generally more horsepower, but the '73-'77 will outhandle the earlier ones!

• Like 3

Looks like it will clean up nicely, make a good HPOF car! For value, the answer is most definitely whatever you are willing to pay. Sorry to be that guy but its true. As mentioned in a couple of previous posts this is a love it/hate it car. Personally I love it, but there are other cars out there that I would buy before I would go after this one. FWIW I am more in tune with 70's stuff than most other cars. IF I had a blank check and were in the market I would not pay more than 20k for this car. It may be worth 30k cleaned and drivable to the right guy being a low mileage original. If the current owner wants that 30k they need to clean, prep and market it for sale. I think the value of this model is most likely topped out. I dont think its one of those that you buy now for 20k and in 5 years its worth 50k. I agree that the Monte Carlo gets more love, between the two I would take the chevelle any day of the week. Never cared that much about the MC.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Looks like it will clean up nicely, make a good HPOF car! For value, the answer is most definitely whatever you are willing to pay. Sorry to be that guy but its true. As mentioned in a couple of previous posts this is a love it/hate it car. Personally I love it, but there are other cars out there that I would buy before I would go after this one. FWIW I am more in tune with 70's stuff than most other cars. IF I had a blank check and were in the market I would not pay more than 20k for this car. It may be worth 30k cleaned and drivable to the right guy being a low mileage original. If the current owner wants that 30k they need to clean, prep and market it for sale. I think the value of this model is most likely topped out. I dont think its one of those that you buy now for 20k and in 5 years its worth 50k. I agree that the Monte Carlo gets more love, between the two I would take the chevelle any day of the week. Never cared that much about the MC.

I don’t believe the Monte Carlo gets more love. I have never been a fan of those. And I wanna point out that you could not get the 454 or a four-speed after 1972. And prior to that, I think you could only get the 454 and the four-speed one year. Otherwise it had to be an automatic.

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

I do not want to derail this thread,   but I have never seen a four speed in that era 442.    The four speed in any Colonade style GM like the subject of this thread is very rare.

True. In the case of the Olds, the big block 4spd cars had a unique VIN (U in the fifth position for a 455 AT car and V for a 455 MT car). A college friend of mine had a V-code 455 4spd 1973 442. The car was quicker than I expected it to be.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

I should have probably said 7,500-45k to cover the case where it has a non original non running engine and is rotted to death.   But George,  if it is a 35k one owner car with paperwork and original paint I think it might be worth more than you would think.    And I like I said before, the Colonade style is not the same market as the 68-72.

Don't really disagree with you, BUT to me as it sits it's worth $10K. OP asked for values & that's mine. I'd be glad to pay it knowing there's $5000-$10000 that would have to be spent to make it roadworthy & right. Take a good look at the building it's in & tell me there's no scale formed underneath or pitting & surface rust starting on chrome parts both inside and out.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

Which, unfortunately, is exactly why asking for values on a forum like this (or worse, on Facebook) is a waste of time.

And why auctions can be a better way to sell.  When the $10k guy is outbid the next guy sets the pace.  

• Like 1

Asking a value is a loaded question to begin with. The reasoning behind doing so is as important. If one is looking to buy a car as an investment, i.e. to flip and make a profit, or to buy as a keeper not concerned about restoration cost, maintenance etc. the value can differ greatly for the same vehicle. The desire to own that particular vehicle affects the value. Some may overspend because of personal reasons, some may not care to own it regardless of price. To get a 'fair market value' Hagerty has a decent guide and looking at recent sales will be a good start. Generally speaking the seller will have an over inflated price based on 'all old cars are worth a million dollars' because I saw one sell on TV for so and so much! 

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, TerryB said:

And why auctions can be a better way to sell.  When the $10k guy is outbid the next guy sets the pace.  

There used to be a website that published ebay and auction sale data (when cars sold and cash actually changed hands). It's unfortunately gone now. The collector car pricing guides typically only use sale data from brand name auctions. BJ and Mecum are not the real world as far as value is concerned. And frankly, there are so few cars like the subject of this thread and they change hands so rarely that price guides really can't be accurate.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, alsancle said:

I wanna point out that you could not get the 454 or a four-speed after 1972. And prior to that, I think you could only get the 454 and the four-speed one year. Otherwise it had to be an automatic.

Standard Catalog of American Cars shows approximately 2500 454-equipped 1973 SS Chevelles built, and 4-speed available in all but full size Chevrolet.

How many 454/4-speed were built isn't documented, but if Chevrolet was like Olds, the 4-speed engine had a dedicated VIN code.

21 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

Asking a value is a loaded question to begin with. The reasoning behind doing so is as important. If one is looking to buy a car as an investment, i.e. to flip and make a profit, or to buy as a keeper not concerned about restoration cost, maintenance etc. the value can differ greatly for the same vehicle. The desire to own that particular vehicle affects the value. Some may overspend because of personal reasons, some may not care to own it regardless of price. To get a 'fair market value' Hagerty has a decent guide and looking at recent sales will be a good start. Generally speaking the seller will have an over inflated price based on 'all old cars are worth a million dollars' because I saw one sell on TV for so and so much! 

Any dealer in used industrial equipment of any kind would agree with this.  Price 1:  I’m buying it for speculative inventory.  Price 2:  I’m buying it for speculative inventory but one of my regular customers will almost certainly take it off my hands.  Price 3:  I’m buying it and it’s already sold.  Price 4:  I’ve always wanted one of those and it won’t be sold until the auction when I’m gone…😁

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Standard Catalog of American Cars shows approximately 2500 454-equipped 1973 SS Chevelles built, and 4-speed available in all but full size Chevrolet.

How many 454/4-speed were built isn't documented, but if Chevrolet was like Olds, the 4-speed engine had a dedicated VIN code.

I was referring specifically to the post 1972 full-size Monte Carlo. The next one of those I see with a four-speed will be the very first one. Doesn’t mean they didn’t build them, I have just never seen one. I do occasionally see the Chevelle‘s like this one.

57 minutes ago, joe_padavano said:

Which, unfortunately, is exactly why asking for values on a forum like this (or worse, on Facebook) is a waste of time.

So, my offer of $10000 is a waste of time? Do you think it’s too low? If it is, and regarding this specific car with the description and photos presented, then why do you think so? I gave my reasons for my offer. How about you giving me reasons why it’s of greater value? Please keep in mind it’s been sitting for 30 years, filthy inside and out, the probable vermin infested shack it’s in, and the probable scale on the undercarriage from sitting where it is. (You notice the gap in the floor a guy could throw a cat through?) Lots of moisture coming up through it and the rest of the floor, but maybe this car is located in the Mojave, then forget the moisture.

11 minutes ago, George Smolinski said:

So, my offer of $10000 is a waste of time? Do you think it’s too low? If it is, and regarding this specific car with the description and photos presented, then why do you think so? I gave my reasons for my offer. How about you giving me reasons why it’s of greater value? Please keep in mind it’s been sitting for 30 years, filthy inside and out, the probable vermin infested shack it’s in, and the probable scale on the undercarriage from sitting where it is. (You notice the gap in the floor a guy could throw a cat through?) Lots of moisture coming up through it and the rest of the floor, but maybe this car is located in the Mojave, then forget the moisture.

My point was that if you ask 20 people for value, you'll get 25 answers. Until cash changes hands, the information isn't useful. If the seller accepts your $10K, then that's a data point.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

Apparently they were not like Olds. All 1973 454 Chevelles were VIN code Y in the fifth position, no matter what trans was installed.

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)

I just looked at hemmings and there is a chevelle a bit newer than this one, 350 auto, day two custom mag wheels etc. Not nearly the car this one is. The asking price is close to 30k! With that info I would say this car cleaned and serviceable would easily get into the 30's with the right buyer. I still would not offer much more than 20k in its current condition.

1 hour ago, joe_padavano said:

My point was that if you ask 20 people for value, you'll get 25 answers. Until cash changes hands, the information isn't useful. If the seller accepts your $10K, then that's a data point.

Point taken. Thanks for the clarification. If the OP is reading these replies, my offer stands and I have the cash ready.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, 28 Chrysler said:

The 8 track tape in the under-dash player would be an indicator of how the car may have been driven. (Barry Manilow  vs Grateful Dead)

Funny you mention that, I put a Sears 8 track in my 73 Chevelle too. 

Here is a comp from BJ which sold for 26K.

Beautifully restored 1974 Laguna S3 big-block LS4 454ci engine with matching numbers and documented with its General Motors Build Sheet by George Zapora. Only 194 LS3 454 Lagunas were produced, and this is one of 96 in color code 19 black with a 2H Dark Red top. Additionally, this Laguna comes with rare options that include AN7 dual swivel buckets seats with console, factory M40 3-speed turbo automatic transmission, factory 8-track player (with Beatles Greatest Hits 8-track), power tilt steering and power brakes. Rides on factory 15-inch Laguna Rally wheels wrapped with period-correct BFG Radial TAs. The original GM documentation comes with the car, as well as the original manifold and big-block orange GM valve covers.

253644_Side_Profile_Web.jpg

• Like 1

I should have went to look at this one when it was for sale back in 2015 as it was only an hour away.  I did interact with the seller.  Loads of documentation, older repaint in new color and supposedly rust free.  I think he was looking for something around 30K.  It did take him a while to sell it.   And then it ended up for sale again a couple of years later.

1974 Chevy Chevelle Malibu 454 4 speed- Super rare 1 of only 18 documented factory M21 Malibu’s ever built. It is also 1 of only 140 ordered with the High Performance 454 LS4 also this car has a factory 3:42 rear gear and also the very rare Swivel Bucket seat option, of only 399 ordered with this option! This car still retains all the factory floor pans, runk pan, robably the best 454 still in its original condition with exception of repaint/color change and reworked rear side windows (common for this body style). Car also has A.C. to add to its option list. I have factory GM of Canada documentation proving its 1 of only 18 ever built and how many of those 18 do you think came with the 454 and swivel buckets? Makes this one probably the only one like it ever built! Power steering and brakes with disc front brake as another option. I have verified ALL Matching numbers drivetrain with only one repaint from the original Silver Metallic to the deep red it currently wears, lso the paint is in very nice driver quality! This Malibu runs and drives like it did new. Have mint paperwork showing its original dealer was in Michigan, super rare all matching big block stick that you will never see another like it!Also, his big block was ordered with the F40 front and rear Heavy Duty Suspension!

1974-chevelle-malibu-454-4-speed-super-rare-1-of-only-18-doc-fact-m21-malibus-3.JPG

1974 Chevrolet Chevelle

1974-chevelle-malibu-454-4-speed-super-rare-1-of-only-18-doc-fact-m21-malibus-6.JPG

1974-chevelle-malibu-454-4-speed-super-rare-1-of-only-18-doc-fact-m21-malibus-8.JPG

• Like 1

Have him or you PM me and I will try to give him an honest opinion after hearing what it has in options and condition, and also can give him the name of a friend, who sold the best original 1973 SS 454 Four Speed a few years ago. It was shown at the Muscle Car and Corvette Nationals with one of my 1973 Gran Sports in 2019.

Had a 1974 SS 454 El Camino years ago until it rusted away. Bought a 1976 Laguna S3 a few yrs back and had a hard time getting $7000 for it running and driving. Times/ prices are different in post Co-vid world but it looks like $15k to me, tops.