LeBaron body tag.... anybody think this is real?

Graham Man

12 minutes ago, alsancle said:

That is an attractive car.  It needs a full history to bring good money.

Gonna be interesting to see if the story is history, or pure fiction. 🤔

• Like 3

What bothers me the most on the car other than it is a standard Graham roadster body is the double belt line on the door, only the small sixes had this detail all the eight only had one body line.

1930 GP Roadster Small six (GP body)

1929 Graham-Paige 615 Sport Roadster (front view) | Vintage | Paledog Photo  Collection

1930 GR roadster Eight cylinder car 827 (Briggs Body)

Graham-Paige Model 827 Roadster 5.3 Manual, 121hp, 1929 

Notice the door body lines, the blue roadster is an eight.... 

anybody recognize the hood?  Not Graham, we think the engine is Studebaker

This is a Graham hood, notice the squared off raise around the vents? and 4 louvers, the blue car has 5 and rounded corners...no chrome tabs on the Graham

image.png.09bc0046438bd3302f1abdd8f0340eb5.png

On the hood alignment the hood dose not look latched but the cowl top line dose not match the hood correctly...

• Like 1

Noticed it is right hand drive, that always raised a flag, to check for welded to rim wheel spokes and a miss mash of parts to keep things rolling. Once saw an L29 Cord with Model T Ford U joints in the front end. The belt line in hoods and bodies should be level, not form a V where they meet at the cowl. 

I don’t know if it’s my old eyes, but on the shield in the middle of the tag, the letter ‘R’ in GRAHAM looks like the  letters ‘A’. Even enlarged it looks like an ‘A’ except for a tiny indentation on the right side. The stylized ‘H’ looks very much like an ‘A’ but does have a clear separation at the top. Is this common script for this car?

• Haha 1

32 minutes ago, Max4Me said:

...on the shield in the middle of the tag, the letter ‘R’ in GRAHAM looks like the letters ‘A’. 

19 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Looks like GAAAAM to me. 

Excellent points.  And the heads of the 3 men in the

logo are flat and indistinct.  To me, that's the mark of

a poor copy;  no manufacturer would show its logo so poorly.

And no custom-body company would prepare its customer's

logo with such poor workmanship.

I think the sleuths on this thread have done a good job.

It's clearly not original.

Car looks great…….too good. Some talented hands worked on this one. Of course, anything this good looking comes under 100 percent suspicion till proven. 

• Like 1

I sold some literature not long ago from the early 30's and there were a few pieces in the batch that there were a few companies that had roadster bodies for sale.  They produced them for certain manufacturers but had some extras and they were available new from the factory freight for something between 200 and 300 and they included the top and everything.  Basically a complete swap body.  Maybe this body is one of those?  Unfortunately I don't have the sales sheets anymore,  but they had pictures of the bodies as well.  

• Like 1

I’m definitely not an expert at all when it comes to this stuff as we all know I mainly know about Cole cars. But going through my standard catalog of American cars 1805-1942 it says that graham Paige did use le baron bodies however I don’t know how many and still I don’t know if that changes anyones opinion on this car just thought I should share this. My apologies if it’s not anything you guys didn’t already knowimage.jpg.116e75ec57d700934c59f5e051e8251d.jpg

Bad transition between hood and cowl (I think A.J. mentioned that)

What's the extra doo-hickey at the top?

Unusual height of turtle deck. Most roadsters, that height is about half.

As I said earlier, very cool looking car, but I I feel confident that someone was having a lot of fun making this up. I'd love to find out that it's real, but with Hudson hood doors, I would be surprised if it was so.

In regard to the comment that it looks like a Packard Speedster.... the cowl is way too short.

Screen Shot 2022-10-30 at 10.36.25 AM.png

• Like 4

OK... I think I have it...

1929 Graham-Paige 827 Chassis, fenders, running gear, headlights, grill (cut down); most likely a sedan

1929 Graham-Paige 615 Roadster body

1931 Studebaker 8 engine and transmission, could be a Graham (Borg Warner) not 1931 they had free wheel

1932 Hudson Great Eight hood

Imitation LeBaron tag...

Don't get me wrong, it is a great looking combination, most likely a great running and driving car.  Just don't sell it as a LeBaron custom, call it what it is a great looking combination of a few cars.

53 minutes ago, Graham Man said:

OK... I think I have it...

1929 Graham-Paige 827 Chassis, fenders, running gear, headlights, grill (cut down); most likely a sedan

1929 Graham-Paige 615 Roadster body

1931 Studebaker 8 engine and transmission, could be a Graham (Borg Warner) not 1931 they had free wheel

1932 Hudson Great Eight hood

Imitation LeBaron tag...

Don't get me wrong, it is a great looking combination, most likely a great running and driving car.  Just don't sell it as a LeBaron custom, call it what it is a great looking combination of a few cars.

Which makes it a 1929-31-32 Bitsa (bit of this, bit of that), truly One of One....

• Like 1

It would be interesting to know the story behind this car. I know, just understanding the era, having seen several rotting survivors, and having read a dozen narratives of such things, that many hundreds of significant and likely thousands of lesser cars were "customized" back in their eras. Such things were done for many reasons. Sometimes just because "everybody needs a hobby"? Sometimes to create a fine automobile for oneself on the cheap using parts of damaged cars? Occasionally because someone had a cast-off body they liked and whatever chassis happened to be available?

While it happened more often than we like to realize? That does not necessarily mean such cars are important historically. It does not make them truly special or valuable. And the fact that it "was done" back in those days does NOT without verifiable information and/or photos mean a car such as this was done "back in the day"! Maybe it was? Maybe it wasn't? 

It actually looks to be particularly well done, parts of a few cars integrated into a single whole. There are a couple things that almost don't fit well, but overall the look and workmanship appear good.

For the right price? It could be a wonderful fun car to have for someone that cannot afford the real thing. It would look fantastic going down the highway! Great for a local "cars and coffee". But there are some groups one should avoid being seen with it? (We are a bunch of snobs? Aren't we 😁 )

Looking at the combination of parts, and the quality of the work? I would guess this car was not done back in the day. At that time, craftsmen were going hungry, and labor was cheap. I would expect an era custom to have more real custom work rather than refitting of available parts. But that is just my opinion.

Frankly? I would prefer to have a good basic model T Ford, older restoration and well sorted. Or a nice 1920s Buick sedan would be great!

Not all work done back in the day was done by craftsmen - posted this back in 2019 to show this kind of thing has been going on a long time. Sorry for the repost.

All of this is nothing new - when I was a kid I bought a copy of Classic Cars and Antiques by Gottlieb and Bowman (1952) - I was fascinated by a chapter on how to buy a classic car - just one example - lots of cobbed up details.

IMG_0005.jpg.b6515622f02b881ff18de69013ed81b2.jpg

• Like 2

5 hours ago, Grimy said:

Which makes it a 1929-31-32 Bitsa (bit of this, bit of that), truly One of One....

In our shop……….it’s not a Bitsa………..it would be called a Piza……… sxxt.

• Haha 1

A Bitsa only matters when the vehicle is worth about that same as a house in a nice neighborhood. Starting with a $20,000. war chest at Hershey you could buy all the bits to build a 1931 Ford Roadster. Spend the following year restoring it and win a First Junior AACA award at the next Hershey. NOBODY would care.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1