I am looking for any info possible in identifying a motor I bought from a scrapper. I have had it posted elsewhere and have had no luck on it

Danpierucki

9 minutes ago, Larry Schramm said:

Looking at the wood rails that the engine is on, could it have come out of a car that had a wood frame, or was it used as a powerplant for something like a saw mill?

What vehicles had a wood frame?

Franklin, so obviously it is not a Franklin engine.

It is an odd one. The interesting to me detail is that cylinders 1 & 2 and 3 & 4 have a narrow space between them. Most mono blocks and "cast-in-pairs" engines that era had those cylinders connected.

Other than Ford's model T, in 1910, mono blocks were only used by a very few automobile manufacturers. The very apparent lack of a starter might mean that it should be about 1914 or earlier if is from a car? Although some trucks did not have starters for several more years.

Overall design and construction looks like it should be between 1910 and 1914, however there are always exceptions to the rules. Quality of the casting isn't very nice, so I would expect a low production car and/or engine builder.

Intake manifold looks typical for the era, however the exhaust with only three ports is unusual. That coupled with the spaces between the cylinders and early mono block style should make it easy to recognize. Provided someone has seen one up close before!

Good luck! I do hope it can find someone that needs it for the right car. Too nice to not be used where it belongs.

• Like 1

It does have a lot of resemblance,  I wish there was better pictures somewhere or a way to check the few numbers that are on it. With the mag being missing and no carburetor it will be hard to see if it will run.  Best part is it does turn over and the valves move.  

On 10/26/2022 at 12:55 PM, 54Coupe said:

I have a friend with a 1910 Hudson. Is this something you would like to sell?

I wish you were a day sooner.  I already made a deal with a guy who wants to put it in his 1911 Jackson car . He is going to pick it up Monday.  I will get ahold of him though and have him contact you if he would consider selling it to  a hudson owner.