What other cars features can you see in this 1956 Corvette Impala?

Pfeil

Bodyside windsplit appeared on 61-62 Pontiacs.

A-pillar foreshadows 1959-60 GM full lineup.

C-pillar appeared on 1957-8 Cadillac, 1958 Chevrolet and Pontiac.

Stainless roof appeared on Eldorado Brougham and on into 80s on Biarritz models.

I'm sure some of the styling cues appeared on other GM production cars. Wasn't there something unique on the Impala tail end styling?

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Bodyside windsplit appeared on 61-62 Pontiacs.

A-pillar foreshadows 1959-60 GM full lineup.

C-pillar appeared on 1957-8 Cadillac, 1958 Chevrolet and Pontiac.

Stainless roof appeared on Eldorado Brougham and on into 80s on Biarritz models.

I'm sure some of the styling cues appeared on other GM production cars. Wasn't there something unique on the Impala tail end styling?

You just about checked all the boxes

Bodyside windsplit appeared on 61-62 Pontiacs.image.jpeg.4aa9ce6268a06af3b5ba299624e52173.jpegthe 62 Pontiac loses the pointed spear.

A-pillar foreshadows 1959-60 GM full lineupOLDSMOBILE 98 1959-oldsmobile-98-ninety-eight-holiday-scenicoupe Used - the  parking

"C-pillar appeared on 1957-8 Cadillac, 1958 Chevrolet and Pontiac." The "C" pilar shows itself in modified form (53-54 Chevrolet and Pontiac hardtops have the original form) in the 1957 "C" body hardtop coupes of Cadillac and Buick. see below.

53 Pontiacimage.jpeg.95e67a112423fb73579b767820f40583.jpeg57 coupe deville1957 Cadillac Series 62 Coupe DeVille 2 door hardtop | Flickr

57Buickimage.jpeg.21af200e426280b9ed269dab0cd251d7.jpeg

Stainless roof appeared on Eldorado Brougham and on into 80s on Biarritz models.Living up to the standard: 1957-'58 Cadillac Eldorado Brougham | Hemmings

There are not many good pictures of the Impala tail end, but here goesCorvette Five-Seater: The 1956 Corvette Impala Concept | Mac's Motor City  Garage

image.jpeg

image.jpeg

• Like 2

On 10/8/2022 at 1:00 PM, Pfeil said:

What I didn't realize was that 1957-58 Oldsmobile 98 was not built on the "C" body like Buick and Cadillac.

I had that pointed out when I said my 1957 Oldsmobile 98 2 door Holiday was a C body to my friend who owns a 57 Cadillac. Nope, it's a B body, see the C pillar design he says.:o

I'm just sitting here pondering how much better the car would look without any of the so called "features". None of those mentioned serve any purpose whatsoever, and even when used on later models, did not last long as they are really only cosmetics. I prefer my cars without all the makeup.

12 hours ago, Frank DuVal said:

I had that pointed out when I said my 1957 Oldsmobile 98 2 door Holiday was a C body to my friend who owns a 57 Cadillac. Nope, it's a B body, see the C pillar design he says.:o

And then again starting 1961 Oldsmobile 98 is built on "C" body. Remember 1940 and 41 Pontiac's? They were built on A-B &C bodies!

"C Body Olds- Two different 4 dr. HT. "C" body                                                     Olds 88 "B" body 4 dr HT.

image.jpeg.ff4ffcfbe43c5290004cb43b1e1fbcb5.jpegimage.jpeg.872651d37aad3476a381d0580d3004d6.jpegPin on Oldsmobile: 1960 - 1962

Olds 61 98 "C" body hardtop with it bent bubble top roof below next to an 88 "B" body bubble top below

image.jpeg.3d2e2e7db3d82bd4d75b693f9ce893d3.jpeg1961 Oldsmobile Dynamic 88 | Premier Auctionnotice the difference on the drip rail curvature.

1961 Buick B&C bodies have the same roof as Olds

1961 Cadillac "C" bodies hardtops are the same as as "C" body OLDS/BUICK

One thing to note. Cadillac makes a unique car for 61 and it's called the "Town Sedan". It's a shortened Cadillac (trunk) "C" body for people who live in large cities where parking is difficult.

Town sedan image.jpeg.ae4bb848e22c3559841a809b4373d914.jpeg& de Ville difference image.jpeg.777310b2e19b04276c0d3306aba80de6.jpeg 

And they also make this "C" body hardtop like Olds and BuickPin on love classic cars

The Cadillac "C" body hardtop like Olds 98 and Buick Electra get the bent roof Bubbletop Pick of the Day: 1961 Cadillac Coupe de Ville with a terrific set of  tailfins

image.jpeg.8d65832151ae52a687fdbc50658a880d.jpeg FYI this is a one-year roof, in 1962 it becomes thisimage.jpeg.94162eb4ebf179354b8b0cfe39bacbcd.jpeg

Also, look at the formal 6 window hardtop sedans of "C" body Olds, Buick, Cadillac. G.M. Styling modified the "A" pilar and made a true sedan but the same look for the new Pontiac, Olds, and Buick "Y" bodies for 61-62. See comparisons below;

C Body Cadillac1961 Cadillac Stolen in Chicago on 3400 N Rockwell on October 20th any  information helps. : r/Cadillac>Y Bodies Pontiac1961 Pontiac Tempest Sedan - Puzzle Factory

Oldsimage.jpeg.fe4388059bf20530ebc7e129584857ba.jpeg Buickimage.jpeg.39616d092d043ce3946705371bbb2602.jpeg

Thanks to all who are contributing to this discussion/observation.   My main area of interest is car design and styling but I focus on the WWI to WWII era , have collected material of every sort from every country on that for over half a century and share it with my stories . I do appreciate the post war era but have not hyper focused on that the way I have the earlier era, where I did get to know by having in person conversation, letters etc with the pre war designers and stylists. So many stories to tell that have yet to be discussed or written about.

Thanks for this post war view of some unique styling features.

Walt

2 hours ago, Paul Dobbin said:

You guys are way to critical.  Never heard of a Corvette Impala.

It was one of GM's show cars. Think it did Motorama duty.

Looking at the BOPettes, were the doors interchangeable between the three Divisions? I'd never thought about it but the sculpture lines sure look like it.

They were handsome little cars. Americans just weren't ready for their quirks, innovation and advanced for the time engineering.

7 hours ago, Walt G said:

Thanks to all who are contributing to this discussion/observation.   My main area of interest is car design and styling but I focus on the WWI to WWII era , have collected material of every sort from every country on that for over half a century and share it with my stories . I do appreciate the post war era but have not hyper focused on that the way I have the earlier era, where I did get to know by having in person conversation, letters etc with the pre war designers and stylists. So many stories to tell that have yet to be discussed or written about.

Thanks for this post war view of some unique styling features.

Walt

Here you go Walt,

I'm surprise you didn't see or hear of this car. I believe AMT even made a model of it.

Here is a shot at the motorama

17-56%2BImpala%2Bat%2BMotorama.jpgthere appears to be at least two.

19-56%2BImpala%2Bbroch%2Bback.jpg

005623.jpgnotice throttle through the floor.

10 hours ago, Pfeil said:

I'm surprise you didn't see or hear of this car

I did know of it but as mentioned focus on pre war, saw this as a teenager in the Rod & Custom magazines of the era. Nice to see photos and a brochure of it again after many decades.

Walt

Grille opening and paint two-toning treatment on the roof:  1958 Opel:  https://www.virtualparking.net/ride/269/1958-opel-kapitän#269-11

Greenhouse and fender cutouts: Vauxhall Cresta PA series: https://www.alamy.com/stock-photo/1959-vauxhall-cresta.html

Have to think of GM outside of North America too!!

Craig

Edited by 8E45E (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 hours ago, Pfeil said:

1961 Cadillac "C" bodies hardtops are the same as as "C" body OLDS/BUICK

One thing to note. Cadillac makes a unique car for 61 and it's called the "Town Sedan". It's a shortened Cadillac (trunk) "C" body for people who live in large cities where parking is difficult.

Town sedan image.jpeg.ae4bb848e22c3559841a809b4373d914.jpeg& de Ville difference image.jpeg.777310b2e19b04276c0d3306aba80de6.jpeg 

I believe Buick also offered a 'short trunk' and 'long trunk' in the Electra 225 as well around those years. They had different 4-digit model numbers.

Craig

Harley Earl expertly employed the GM Motorama shows to preview upcoming styling details that shortly would be included in subsequent new production models.  Eaves-dropping market research among the crowds were GM employees who though appearing to be ordinary private citizens solicited the opinions of other attendees.  With the A, B and C body platforms shared across five nameplates, the Motorama show cars provided a wealth of styling details to render both a familial GM look plus unique marque identities which supported robust sales. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, rocketraider said:

Looks like 59-61 there were Electras (4700) and Electra 225s (4800). Both on same 126" wheelbase but the 225 was six inches longer than the Electra. If Buick did things same as Olds and Pontiac the extra body length was aft of the rear wheelhouse.

Harley Earl understood that the American car buying mindset of the time was 'bigger was better' and impressive length sold cars.  Placing the proportional emphasis on the rear was very effective in creating a more desirable, upscale model: the extended deck program.   As he had done for first the '48-'49 Cadillac 60 Special and follow-on '50 and later Coupe de Ville and 62 convertibles, the concept then extended the same treatment to the OB-Body '52 Olds 98, the A-Body '54 Pontiac Star Chief, all created by the same method.   Buick, which always built its Special and Century on the B-Body, were within inches of each other, but the B-Body Olds 98 had an exclusive extended deck not shared with Buick.  Roadmaster shared with the deck lengths with the Cadillac 62 until 1958 when the Series 700 Limited received the extended deck to 227.1" compared to Super 50 and Roadmaster 75 at 219.1".   The 1959 Buick Electra 225 ran with the concept thereafter.

Initially, the two-inch longer wheelbase added rearward, the longer quarter panels can be seen on the sedan in the wider dogleg between the rear door edge and the fender skirt.   It's less apparent on the two-door hardtops and convertibles though the long deck is obvious.  Later the extensions would be less obvious in the dogleg/wheelhouse area.    Since the main interior compartments are dimensionally identical through the passenger compartment over the various series, where was all that addition inches of length?  The extended deck/trunk, ideal to promote for family motor trips luggage capacity.   This layout and marketing method continued through the 1960's, helped GM achieve the domination it did.

Make an astute observation...get a dissertation!

Steve

• Like 1

3 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Looks like 59-61 there were Electras (4700) and Electra 225s (4800). Both on same 126" wheelbase but the 225 was six inches longer than the Electra.

Right. That is why there were Electras and Duce and a Quarters, I mean Electra 225s. Two different cars.😉 Or, as Glen says, two different trunks.

1 hour ago, 58L-Y8 said:

Harley Earl understood that the American car buying mindset of the time was 'bigger was better' and impressive length sold cars.  Placing the proportional emphasis on the rear was very effective in creating a more desirable, upscale model: the extended deck program.   As he had done for first the '48-'49 Cadillac 60 Special and follow-on '50 and later Coupe de Ville and 62 convertibles, the concept then extended the same treatment to the OB-Body '52 Olds 98, the A-Body '54 Pontiac Star Chief, all created by the same method.   Buick, which always built its Special and Century on the B-Body, were within inches of each other, but the B-Body Olds 98 had an exclusive extended deck not shared with Buick.  Roadmaster shared with the deck lengths with the Cadillac 62 until 1958 when the Series 700 Limited received the extended deck to 227.1" compared to Super 50 and Roadmaster 75 at 219.1".   The 1959 Buick Electra 225 ran with the concept thereafter.

Initially, the two-inch longer wheelbase added rearward, the longer quarter panels can be seen on the sedan in the wider dogleg between the rear door edge and the fender skirt.   It's less apparent on the two-door hardtops and convertibles though the long deck is obvious.  Later the extensions would be less obvious in the dogleg/wheelhouse area.    Since the main interior compartments are dimensionally identical through the passenger compartment over the various series, where was all that addition inches of length?  The extended deck/trunk, ideal to promote for family motor trips luggage capacity.   This layout and marketing method continued through the 1960's, helped GM achieve the domination it did.

Make an astute observation...get a dissertation!

Steve

You might have added to the 54 Pontiac "A" body Star Chief extensions extended to 1958. 1958 Bonneville still considered a sporty Pontiac was on the smaller Chieftain chassis "A" body. When 1959 came around Bonneville became the flagship model and used the Star Chief long wheelbase extended body on the "B" platform. I don't know when that formula ended (probably 1976) but my 1959 Catalina and my 1963 Catalina are both seven inches shorter than their respective Bonneville/Star Chief counterparts and it's all in the trunk even though their wheelbases are different. 59 wheelbases are 122" and 124" and 63 are 120" and 123"  

41 minutes ago, Pfeil said:

You might have added to the 54 Pontiac "A" body Star Chief extensions extended to 1958. 1958 Bonneville still considered a sporty Pontiac was on the smaller Chieftain chassis "A" body. When 1959 came around Bonneville became the flagship model and used the Star Chief long wheelbase extended body on the "B" platform. I don't know when that formula ended (probably 1976) but my 1959 Catalina and my 1963 Catalina are both seven inches shorter than their respective Bonneville/Star Chief counterparts and it's all in the trunk even though their wheelbases are different. 59 wheelbases are 122" and 124" and 63 are 120" and 123"  

Pfeil:

Indeed, once Pontiac had the extended deck formula, they continued to apply it to their upper and topline series continually through the 1960's and into the B-Body 1971-'72 Bonneville and Grand Ville.  For 1973, they rationalized on the 124" wb and 224.8" OAL until the major downsizing of 1977.  Note though how much more expensive those extended deck Star Chief/Executive and Bonnevilles were than the Catalinas with which they shared the majority of their components.    The extended deck program generated higher unit profits on those series, were cash cows for GM.  The public loved those long, sweeping models and GM cried all the way to the bank for two decades plus on that concept!

Steve

• Like 2

On 10/10/2022 at 8:31 PM, Pfeil said:

Here you go Walt,

I'm surprise you didn't see or hear of this car. I believe AMT even made a model of it.

Here is a shot at the motorama

there appears to be at least two.

notice throttle through the floor.

Pfeil,

It was Paul, and not Walt who said he had not heard of it.

I'm pretty sure I saw it at the GM Motorama in the Waldorf Astoria-

I sat in (and pretend drove) every car they would let me into

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1