57 Plymouth Savoy worth the effort

Keeferishere

I'm liking the look of the tail fins on this 1957 Plymouth Savoy coupe. It's too bad everything got smashed and has no interior and I know it's rough but i have been offered this car and do not know a whole lot about these cars. I think it should have a chance. But worse case if it's not worth the effort, I do believe the rear half of the car is to make into a couch or something. But believe being a 2 door has its value. 

20220929_121932.jpg

20220929_121909.jpg

Screenshot_20220930-145634_Video Player.jpg

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, The 55er said:

It has no value in its present condition except for a few parts if you want to pull them. Way too far gone and in my opinion the Olds is past the point of no return as well. Pull some of the intact parts off both and forget about the rest. 

Yeah definitely thinking that. Too much effort to haul it for what's there. 

• Like 1

I owned a 57 DeSoto very similar to that car in 1963/64 in high school. They were so rusted then the headlights were falling off. We stuffed the area with steel wool and bondo over it to keep them in place. We painted it with brushes and a gallon of cheap porch and deck enamel. Only two things were worth anything on that car it had a small hemi and the back seat was very big for my last two years of high school. 

I’ll bet that frame is at least half gone. 
dave s 

• Like 2

If you bought this and made it presentable you will have more money in it than you can buy a finished car for.  Get a bank loan, buy a finished one, drive and enjoy it.  When it comes time to sell it will be worth more than you gave for it .

• Like 2

5 hours ago, SC38dls said:

I owned a 57 DeSoto very similar to that car in 1963/64 in high school. They were so rusted then the headlights were falling off. We stuffed the area with steel wool and bondo over it to keep them in place. We painted it with brushes and a gallon of cheap porch and deck enamel. Only two things were worth anything on that car it had a small hemi and the back seat was very big for my last two years of high school. 

I’ll bet that frame is at least half gone. 
dave s 

Yeah front end lights are rusted off this one. Oh frame and floor boards are probably deleted also lol. 

4 hours ago, 8E45E said:

I'd say drag it home first.  Then do a thorough assessment of it, and see what it has/had for an engine, options, etc.  Those Plymouth 2 door sedans from 1957/58 are rather rare as hardly any got saved.

Craig

I'll pull the trash from the engine bay and see what's there. If nothing, then chances are low for pulling this one home ESPECIALLY if it doesn't come out easy of the ground. But that's what i was wondering on this car if it's common anymore.  They're out there but by how easy to come by. 

3 hours ago, plymouthcranbrook said:

Remember, sometimes free is too much to pay.

Exactly. Time and resources are not free. 

3 hours ago, SC38dls said:

If you drag it home you will probably only end up with the part you hooked the chains too. 
dave s 

Haha more than likely. Rust is the killer on old cars. Definitely seems like it had been puttyed before.  

3 hours ago, DFeeney said:

If you bought this and made it presentable you will have more money in it than you can buy a finished car for.  Get a bank loan, buy a finished one, drive and enjoy it.  When it comes time to sell it will be worth more than you gave for it .

I would not restore this car. Parts or a planter would be neat. 

1 hour ago, Rusty_OToole said:

I was going to suggest buying a better one. There do not seem to be many 57 58 or 59 Plymouths on offer and the Furies and deluxe models go for a lot of money. However, here is a decent looking 59 Sedan for $13,500.

https://classiccars.com/listings/view/1505202/1959-plymouth-savoy-for-sale-in-staunton-illinois-62088

Not many out there but only so many for sale. Not a fan on the front end of these Plymouth cars. Guess being a GM fan that's why lol

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, sebastienbuick said:

It's very sad :( :(, maybe in America you saw some, but here in France I've never seen this model and I would be very happy to have it.
It may be in poor condition, but here in France it would definitely be restored, it is very rare

The problem with the 57 is it was a known rust bucket within 4 or 5 years of being new. If you cleaned the front fenders, roof, doors and rear fenders of rust and paint you would have Swiss cheese. Very little metal to save. If the frame is gone or even half gone ( that’s a very small if in my guess) you couldn’t haul it out of there with out it twisting and bending what was left. I agree it is a rare car but that in all likely hood is a result of them rusting away and being junked. 
dave s 

• Like 2

I'm an old-time junkyard scrounger myself and these two cars are reminders of how the older models looked back in the mid 1980s here in the northeast when they were outside wasting away in the junkyards waiting to be scrapped. There were reasons why they were taken off the road and junked such as rust from the salty roads or mechanical issues from being worn out. They were beyond saving back then and now it's like 40 years later. Old vehicles might still be found in places like this but very few (if any) people are dragging the cars out of their final resting places thinking they can be restored. Once they're outside in the damp woods for a few years or sink down into the wet ground the rust just eats them up. 

• Like 3

Yeah it's very sad to see these old cars in the woods. But like "The 55er" said, these cars got parked in the bush for a reason. The Olds I'm not sure, probably wasn't running great and being years old why keep it going when a newer model or vehicle were everywhere to buy and have the reliability. The Plymouth i was told they were cruising home and it seized. So yeah it was junk then and worse now. 

Sadly this Plymouth is RUSTED beyond saving. It will stay there forever. You can see thru the trunk floors, the floorboards are gone, the headlight areas has rusted away. No drivetrain or rear diff. No interior or hood. TOO MUCH WORK to pull it from the bush for scrap anyways.  (I do want to saw the rear 2 feet of the car off for wall art) That's all this car is good for. Would be nice to save everything, but I'm not a fan of these cars anyways.

Besides the future generations need something to talk about. "How and why was this car put out here".  To see old iron out in unusual locations is just as cool as saving them. 

20221001_132308.jpg

20221001_132135.jpg

Edited by Keeferishere (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Cars like that are great when they are in a salvage yard with other vintage cars. Where a person can walk through and pick or cut off pieces for whatever. So many parts can be used on custom cars. Or repurposed into forms of art. Still life in those chunks. Tucked away in the woods, it will dissolve into iron oxide.

On 9/30/2022 at 2:10 PM, Keeferishere said:

I'm liking the look of the tail fins on this 1957 Plymouth Savoy coupe. It's too bad everything got smashed and has no interior and I know it's rough but i have been offered this car and do not know a whole lot about these cars. I think it should have a chance. But worse case if it's not worth the effort, I do believe the rear half of the car is to make into a couch or something. But believe being a 2 door has its value. 

20220929_121932.jpg

A Savoy is a trim upgrade from a Plaza:  https://forum.studebakerdriversclub.com/forum/your-studebaker-forum/stove-huggers-the-non-studebaker-forum/63562-orphan-of-the-day-05-28-1957-plymouth-plaza

Craig

Isnt there a car museum in GA (I think) that is called the Savoy? It got its name from a rusted out hulk of a Plymouth Savoy that was either found on the grounds or nearby. I believe the rusted car was left in its place and became the mascot of some sort.

When and where I grew up, had one found something like the example Plymouth shown* in OP's photos/posts, it would've equaled to a lottery win, but now I find it rather amusing to realize/think/understand that to correctly/properly restore something like it back to "like new" condition would take more effort, i.e. time & money, than to restore any one of the 33 original Ferrari 250 GTOs, which each are currently considered to be worth $60M-$80M.  

*My first ever antique/vintage car/project was as bad/sad or worse than this Plymouth, but it didn't stop me spending hours/days/months attempting to resurrect it with a shoe string budget of an orphaned teenager.