Duesenberg in AACA's Building!

Steve Moskowitz

So very pleased that this worked out and that the HQ building has a new "ornament" on display for a while. It's all good. Timing is perfect too with the "greatest show on earth" coming to Hershey in a few weeks. I am sure there will be a great deal of quiet satisfaction tonight with the people/staff/friends at HQ because of the car being there.

• Like 4

Now Ed does not have this one over me.  He gets top look at a Duesenberg every day but so do I!  

1930 Duesenberg Model J Dual Cowl Phaeton

Owner:  Dwight Schaubach       Suffolk, Virginia

Rudolph Bauer, an eccentric German impressionist artist, was placed in prison in the late 1930's because of his support for America.  He was bailed out of a Gestapo prison months before WWII erupted by international supporters and moved to New Jersey with his wife.  Rudolph purchased three Duesenbergs, because they were "The Most Beautiful and Well Engineered Cars in Existence".  One of the three purchased was this LeGrande Dual Cowl Phaeton, one of only two original long wheel base LeGrande Dual Cowl Phaetons known to exist.

Upon Bauer's death, the car was stored in a carriage house until the Petit family of Louisa, Virginia bought it in 1953.   Dwight Schaubach purchased this vehicle from the Petit collection in 1998, and completed a full restoration in 2000.  An award winner in the 2000 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, J-436 also won the 2000 National 1st Prize at the Antique Automobile Car Show in Hershey, PA.  and has also won a Senior, Grand National and Senior Grand National AACA award.  This Duesenberg was also the recipient of the annual Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg award given out by AACA.   J-436 has participated in four National Duesenberg Tours with the Schaubachs.

• Like 8

55 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Now Ed does not have this one over me.  He gets top look at a Duesenberg every day but so do I!  

Rudolph Bauer, an eccentric German impressionist artist, was placed in prison in the late 1930's because of his support for America.  He was bailed out of a Gestapo prison months before WWII erupted by international supporters and moved to New Jersey with his wife.  Rudolph purchased three Duesenbergs, because they were "The Most Beautiful and Well Engineered Cars in Existence".  One of the three purchased was this LeGrande Dual Cowl Phaeton, one of only two original long wheel base LeGrande Dual Cowl Phaetons known to exist.

Upon Bauer's death, the car was stored in a carriage house until the Petit family of Louisa, Virginia bought it in 1952.   Dwight Schaubach purchased this vehicle from the Petit collection in 1998, and completed a full restoration in 2000.  An award winner in the 2000 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, J-436 also won the 2000 National 1st Prize at the Antique Automobile Car Show in Hershey, PA.  and has also won a Senior, Grand National and Senior Grand National AACA award.  This Duesenberg was also the recipient of the annual Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg award given out by AACA.   J-436 has participated in four National Duesenberg Tours with the Schaubachs.

WELL........if we get technical.............it's more than one. 😎

How about we take yours for a spin during fall meet, and then come down here and we will drive along the ocean during Boca? 😇

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Upon Bauer's death, the car was stored in a carriage house until the Petit family of Louisa, Virginia bought it in 1952.   Dwight Schaubach purchased this vehicle from the Petit collection in 1998, and completed a full restoration in 2000.  An award winner in the 2000 Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance, J-436 also won the 2000 National 1st Prize at the Antique Automobile Car Show in Hershey, PA.  and has also won a Senior, Grand National and Senior Grand National AACA award.  This Duesenberg was also the recipient of the annual Auburn-Cord-Duesenberg award given out by AACA.   J-436 has participated in four National Duesenberg Tours with the Schaubachs.

Ed who?

• Haha 4

Unlike many others here...( I won't mention names.....but I should) we do actual work and we drive our cars. Here is a JN Duesenberg having its oil pump serviced. 

ACD7A49B-8BF8-4873-949C-7C448E848890.png

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Haha 1

28 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Ed, Is that yellow area some special screen to catch grit and metal bits before there is a problem?

YES, there are two of them....upper and lower. Also you can see the cork oil level float also. The valve in the cover is the drain for the engine.....no drain plug on a J or JN, just a ball valve you turn from under the hood to drain the oil....

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Matt, according to the Ed that occasionally resides here on this forum he is the one and only!  Thankfully, I would have to agree with him, the thought of two of them is enough to make me look worse than the Nicholson photo he so wonderfully added to this thread.

Ed, this car is a good runner too.  Wish I could take you up on the offer but I guess I will just have to hope for another visit to "your place" and a ride in your gorgeous car!

• Like 5
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Unlike many others here...( I won't mention names.....but I should) we do actual work and we drive our cars. Here is a JN Duesenberg having its oil pump serviced. 

Ed,

Good to see you're using a pair of jack stands and not just the hydraulic jack in the middle.

Would regret any damage to the car if it should fail (and also the one wrenching on it)

Steve, be careful he will make you buy lunch at the breakers, if he buys it’s Mickey D‘ s and the big Mack is off the menu. 

The car looks great, please thank Mr Scharbach for allowing us to see such a beautiful car up close. 
dave s 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Milburn Drysdale said:

What is the brand of Jack Stands and what is the tonnage capacity? 

Napa, Carlisle line three ton stands. They were a gift. I usually use six ton stands, but in the case of the four post lift I had Snap-On six ton units under the rear end. The car is 5600 pounds.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, SC38dls said:

Steve, be careful he will make you buy lunch at the breakers, if he buys it’s Mickey D‘ s and the big Mack is off the menu. 

The car looks great, please thank Mr Scharbach for allowing us to see such a beautiful car up close. 
dave s 

Dave, It’s called the dollar menu. 🥸

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

We are very lucky to have this amazing car in our building now!  Thanks to Dwight Schaubach for putting it on display.  Looks fabulous here and we will keep it as long as he is willing to share it with all of us.  I'll post a little history later.

1930.jpg

Spectacular.  Talk about looking forward to going to the office every day....

Dwight is a great guy and we're proud to count him as a member of the Tidewater Region. He has great cars of course but beyond that he has been a strong supporter of our region for many years. He us a true ambassador for AACA and our hobby.

Terry