Jump to content

Is this permissible to sell/display an engine in the car corral?


Matt Harwood
 Share

Recommended Posts

To those who know better than I: if I can get it to my spaces, am I permitted to display this as well as several cars? We are in spaces B135-B137. If it is permissible, does it have to take the space of a car or can I show three cars plus the engine?

 

Just trying to figure out what we're going to bring and I thought this would be of interest to a lot of people.

 

Sixteen4.jpg.79757264ad2986195750075fb934d1aa.jpg  Sixteen2.jpg.298210dfed7501a8d3f44ce6b4e156db.jpg

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

26 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

Anybody know if it's OK? I need to get busy making a better stand for it if I'm bringing it and I'm running out of time.

 

Matt,  those are cooler than 95% of the stuff in the Corral.   How could any real car guy have an issue?

 

If you wanted to bring a new crate motor I would understand the problem.

 

You gonna fire those up and give a demo?

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Matt, before you put a lot of effort into the stand and with little time left I would contact the AACA Hershey Region.  As we all know they are the host Region behind the meet and HERCO is the property owner.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

@Steve Moskowitz Any thoughts on this? I don't want to start planning and spending money if this is going to be a problem. Hyman did it three years ago so I'm hoping it's OK.

 

 

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

What if you made a deal with the spot behind you to display it there? I remember a few years ago the Hershey Region stated that one MUST have parts on display in your spots. The gents right next to us were from Charlotte and one was the national President. No Parts... The scouts warned the President that no parts on display meant they would lose their spot for the following year. We simply put some tires we had on their spot and let them sell them. Many ways to skin a cat...

 

Frank

  • Haha 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

35 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I am not questioning the final decision, its not my place. But, why was there a discussion to begin with? Is there a problem with a running motor, or the motor itself? I always assumed Hershey was a place for cars and parts, does this not fit the bill?

 

The region's position is that the car corral is for cars, the flea market is for parts. Putting an engine in the car corral blurs the line and creates a slippery slope situation. I bring an engine to the car corral, the next guy brings a pile of headlights, then another guy brings rusty Coca-Cola signs, then another guy brings new Chinese polishing tools to sell. Suddenly there's no line between car corral and flea market. If I were bringing the Marmon and the engine was included with the car, maybe I could have made an argument that if someone bought the Marmon on the spot in the car corral, they would want the engine that goes with it, but since the engine isn't included with the car and I'm not bringing the Marmon (I don't think, anyway), it's kind of moot.

 

I think people would have found the engine interesting to see but I completely understand the region's decision and respect it.

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, oldford said:

What if you made a deal with the spot behind you to display it there? I remember a few years ago the Hershey Region stated that one MUST have parts on display in your spots. The gents right next to us were from Charlotte and one was the national President. No Parts... The scouts warned the President that no parts on display meant they would lose their spot for the following year. We simply put some tires we had on their spot and let them sell them. Many ways to skin a cat...

 

Frank

Yes, Frank.  Many ways to skin a cat.  In the case you cite it is called breaking the rules.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I’m typically rules guy.

 

That Marmon v16 engine is probably worth more than 75% of the cars that will be in the car corral. It’s unfortunate that an exception could not be made in this case.

 

I think we all realize that Hershey is contracting, and it requires re-imagining of some sort.   Otherwise it will eventually not exist anymore.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, alsancle said:

I’m typically rules guy.

 

That Marmon v16 engine is probably worth more than 75% of the cars that will be in the car corral. It’s unfortunate that an exception could not be made in this case.

 

I think we all realize that Hershey is contracting, and it requires re-imagining of some sort.   Otherwise it will eventually not exist anymore.

 

 

  

 Something like "all good things must come to an end" thing??

 

  Ben

Edited by Ben Bruce aka First Born (see edit history)
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

How big a crowd do you think you would have standing around a running V-16? What could possibly go wrong? 

 

Who said it would be running? It's not set up for that, you can see that in the photos. Just display.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • Peter Gariepy changed the title to Is this permissible to sell/display an engine in the car corral?

Matt should be congratulated for taking the high road. He asked permission before asking forgiveness, that’s unusual in itself. Then he accepted the decision graciously without hassle. We should all be so accommodating to the people that have to run a swap meet/show as Matt has been. The kind of guy you just might enjoy buying a car from. 
dave s 

  • Like 4
  • Thanks 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think we all need to consider the other side of the coin!  How many fully assembled and possibly running vehicles will we all see for sale in the swap meet area?  I could almost bet there will be at least one in every aisle!  If one were shopping strictly for a vehicle, they may miss out on over one hundred(?) opportunities because the vehicle is not in the car corral!  Are sellers trying to save a few bucks on the car corral fees by renting a swap meet space instead?  What say you Mr. Moskowitz?  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I've sold quite a few cars off my swap meet spaces at Carlisle & Hershey over the years. It's not so much about saving money as convenience, I've had lots of  parts as well as a vehicle to sell on my 5 swap meet spaces and I can't be at two places at once. Potential car buyers should check out the flea market areas too where the vehicles for sale can be much more reasonably priced. 

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I think (not 100% sure) that one of the rules for the car corral is they must be running. i.e. drive in drive out. A lot of the cars I see for sale in the swap meet area may not meet that criteria. I see nothing wrong with cars in the vendor aisles, as I have something else to look at other than just a part. 

The car corral is akin to a show in itself with 4 sale vehicles. 

I am curious to the sell rate of the corral?  It does seem like a lot of them end up with sold signs. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 9/20/2022 at 4:04 PM, 63RedBrier said:

I think we all need to consider the other side of the coin!  How many fully assembled and possibly running vehicles will we all see for sale in the swap meet area?  I could almost bet there will be at least one in every aisle!  If one were shopping strictly for a vehicle, they may miss out on over one hundred(?) opportunities because the vehicle is not in the car corral!  Are sellers trying to save a few bucks on the car corral fees by renting a swap meet space instead?  What say you Mr. Moskowitz?  

I think the reason for cars being for sale in flea market spaces are varied.  USUALLY, as best as I can tell there are a combo of parts and cars for sale.  I have never asked anyone why but it is not a violation of the rules.  The brass car guys seem to want to hang all together so you see sellers with "car corral" eligible cars there. Most folks who are serious sellers vend out of the corral as that is where the selling opportunity is the best, especially this year with the international buyers back.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Us old guys remember before there was a car corral. You looked for cars using a CB radio and light pole numbers. The days before cell phones, texting, and pavement. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

×
×
  • Create New...