1932-33 Cycle Fendered Hupmobiles

alsancle

I want to have a conversation about these cars.    The Dragone boys are selling a really nice Victroria and I was going to post it in the not mine section, but would like a more general conversation.  I've followed these cars for 25 years.    I asked Manny to explain the "only 1 eight cylinder" Victoria in existence part of his ad, as I believe there are 6-12 of them.

We have a couple of Hupp experts on the forum (Chuck I'm looking at you) that can discuss these cars intelligently.

https://www.dragoneclassic.com/stories/loewys-1932-chicago-auto-show-hupmobile-i-226-eight-sport-victoria

The late 19th century and 20th century was a time that saw some of the most magnificent industrial achievements in the history of mankind and with that came some of the most wild and incredible styles and designs. The desire for technological advancement was huge especially with the invention of the internal combustion engine, cars, airplanes, electricity and the light bulb etc.. Everything from refrigerators, furniture, architecture and cars had designs that reflected modernism and technological advancement. In any conversation relating to 20th century design, one man cannot go without being mentioned and that is Raymond Loewy. Loewy had a wide range in terms of areas where his designs flourished. He designed everything from kitchen appliances to houses and even locomotives, eventually getting into automotive design where Hupmobile was his first stop. 

Loewy was born in France where he studied and later graduated from the University of Paris, and in my honest opinion I believe that the French have the greatest styling abilities of all and that would really be the most true during the Art Deco period in the 1930's. While Loewy moved to the U.S. in 1919, more specifically to New York City, his French artistic eye was something almost unmatched by anyone. His design abilities landed him a job in New York as a window designer for Saks and Macys as well as a fashion illustrator for Harper's Bazaar and Vogue magazines, but it wasn't until 1932 when he would land his first automotive design commission and that was for Hupmobile. He redesigned their entire lineup giving Hupmobile a look that screamed Art Deco. Cycle fenders, crazy straight line/razor edge raised panels, low rooflines, suicide doors and an airplane like dashboards, the 1932 Hupps were a real sight to behold. Best described as French Art Deco renderings that have come to life. 

For 1932 Hupmobile offered both the F-222 small eight and the I-226 big eight cylinder, the latter being the ultimate of course with a powerful 103 horsepower flathead eight cylinder, almost equivalent in power to a super eight Packard of the same year. Most importantly the eight cylinder I-226's had a much longer nose than their smaller 8 cylinder siblings and a much longer wheelbase coming in at 126 inches, 4 inches longer than the F-222 and all in the nose of the car making it even more proportionally appealing. Originally very few Eight cylinder I-226's were produced, especially in the more sporty body styles such as the coupe, Sport Victoria or the coupe roadster. Today there are only 3 three window coupes in existence and only one victoria. 

Introduced for the first time at the Chicago Auto Show in 1932, the new "cycle fendered" Hupps really did cause quite a stir because they didn't look like anything that the public had seen before, cars designed by a new school non-automotive French designer from New York City. The car chosen by Hupmobile for their premier stand was the super low, top of the line and most appealing I-226 eight cylinder Sport Victoria. Once the show was over that very car would stay in the Chicago area for over 20 years when it would be acquired by a collector from Indiana where it would remain until his end in the 1970's, passing to his son who would keep the car until only a few months ago when we were able to acquire it...

Offered here publicly for the first time is the 1932 Chicago Auto Show Hupmobile I-226 Victoria designed by Raymond Loewy. The only 1932 eight cylinder Victoria, this car is just amazing to see in person. It is so different from the norm of American classics, it was different back then and even more so today. It has such a youthful and sharp style that is just so cool. When sitting in the car, you sit low with a little windshield and airplane type gauges in your face. And when getting out the suicide doors swing out like a French Delahaye or Delage and its just got it, whatever it is. This car belongs in an early 1930's French Concours d'Elegance with a woman standing next to it wearing Chanel and holding her poodle. 

Today the car still retains its original tan cloth upholstery which is in fantastic original condition and the outside of the car has been restored to like new condition in two tone light green which is absolutely stunning. The big "H" in the circle radiator mascot is simple and just awesome and this car is also equipped with a rare factory accessory chrome running board "bumper bars" that really look great as well as a factory trunk rack and chrome spoke wire wheels. Other accessories include Sparton musical air horns, dual pilot ray driving lights, dual Lorraine windshield spotlights and an original Hupmobile header mounted clock. It runs and drives incredibly smooth and is just a joy to drive. If you are looking for a stunning, stylish and special 1930's American car, this car is unlike anything of its kind. The definition of art on wheels. Contact us today for more information.  Asking: $165,000 for this wonderful car.

Dragone-Hupp-2.JPG

Dragone-Hupp-3.JPG

Dragone-Hupp-6.JPG

• Like 4

Saw this car at the Belltown meet Sunday and it looked flawless.  Great lines and a really crisp interior.  Thought I had pics but no matter, plenty on Dragone's site.

For someone who wants something different and show ready.  They trailered it up from Orange of course.  People were all over it...

• Like 1

There was one of these for sale at the Bakersfield swap meet 8 or 9 years ago. As I recall, the back half had either been wreaked or modified but it included a good correct back section. Thought it was an 8 cylinder but could be mistaken. Was surprised to that it still used a Stewart Warner vacuum fuel system.

1 minute ago, 1912Staver said:

When I hear Cycle Fenders I expect to see something like what is on this MG.  Fronts particularly but even the rears are close in this case. Usually clear of the body and supported strictly by fender stays.

TB Cycle wings fitting : T-Series & Prewar Forum : MG Experience Forums :  The MG Experience

Agreed. In my opinion, it's a stretch to say that the Hupmobile has cycle fenders.

• Like 2

6 hours ago, alsancle said:

In any conversation relating to 20th century design, one man cannot go without being mentioned and that is Raymond Loewy. Loewy had a wide range in terms of areas where his designs flourished. He designed everything from kitchen appliances to houses and even locomotives, eventually getting into automotive design where Hupmobile was his first stop. 

Loewy was born in France where he studied and later graduated from the University of Paris, and in my honest opinion I believe that the French have the greatest styling abilities of all and that would really be the most true during the Art Deco period in the 1930's. While Loewy moved to the U.S. in 1919, more specifically to New York City, his French artistic eye was something almost unmatched by anyone. His design abilities landed him a job in New York as a window designer for Saks and Macys as well as a fashion illustrator for Harper's Bazaar and Vogue magazines, but it wasn't until 1932 when he would land his first automotive design commission and that was for Hupmobile. He redesigned their entire lineup giving Hupmobile a look that screamed Art Deco. Cycle fenders, crazy straight line/razor edge raised panels, low rooflines, suicide doors and an airplane like dashboards, the 1932 Hupps were a real sight to behold. Best described as French Art Deco renderings that have come to life.

We MUST keep in mind, Raymond Loewy was a great promotor with an industrial design outfit under his name.  Over the years, he had several competent staff members who remained under the radar who never truly got credit for some of those great designs attributed to him.  Remember, Virgil Exner worked under him, as did Robert Bourke, John Epstein, Robert Andrews, Tom Kellogg, et. al.  Only in recent years after Raymond Loewy's passing in 1986 has all this come to light.  As well, he had others on his design team who worked on smaller items, including Peggy Sauer, who came up with the sliding vanity tray in the glove compartment of the Avanti.  I'm only referring to automotive styling achievements here, but there are others on Loewy's team who also worked on non-automotive items, including, but not limited to the Coca-Cola fountain dispenser, and Lucky Strike cigarette packages, etc.

Craig

• Like 1

No doubt Loewy took credit for designs done by his staff.  I wondered myself just how much credit he really deserved for his auto designs. But there are certain cars that were his work beyond question and those were cars built to his order for his personal use. From memory they included a Lincoln Continental, a Studebaker and a 1959 Cadillac. You could look them up if you want to get a line on his taste and design ability. I did and was not impressed.

image.jpeg.b715c51852f99ef82d0e8d11d352f60b.jpeg

I'm with Staver on "cycle fenders." I always thought the term referred to fenders which were independent of the running board (or featured with no running board at all), and tapered at least SORT OF to match the tire/wheel radius. But then, even though I grew up riding around in Hupmobile cars, I actually know more about 50's thru early 70's cars, so I'm no expert. 

And I know that blackwalls seem to be all the rage these days, and in my opinion do look better on many smaller or cheaper cars. But in my taste I kind of like the whitewalls on that green Hupp. 

Edited by lump (see edit history)
  • Like 3

You guys will have to forgive me.   I have always heard "cycle fender" used to describe the Raymond Loewy designed 32/33 Hupp models vs the traditionally styled models they were selling at the same time.

Maybe it is just a Hupp club thing or maybe I made it up.

• Like 4

17 minutes ago, alsancle said:

You guys will have to forgive me.   I have always heard "cycle fender" used to describe the Raymond Loewy designed 32/33 Hupp models vs the traditionally styled models they were selling at the same time.

Looks more like a German helmet to me.

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

When I hear Cycle Fenders I expect to see something like what is on this MG.  Fronts particularly but even the rears are close in this case. Usually clear of the body and supported strictly by fender stays.

TB Cycle wings fitting : T-Series & Prewar Forum : MG Experience Forums :  The MG Experience

that's exactly what I would class as cycle fenders

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Dragone-Hupp-2.JPG.1458172e1af291da7217fe4b07874807.jpg.2a3bddd1fe3dd3df4a11ca0e9cadf750.jpgI don't know, the whitewalls looked ok, and complimented the "Marshmallow" chubby belt moldings, the cowl spots add nothing. 

Agreed. The body of the car is generally very nicely designed; looks almost like the Reo Royale victoria. In addition to deleting the spot lights, driving lights, and the sidemounts,  put on sweeping fenders, and this would be much more stunning.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Sometimes I wonder what planet people have been living on when "Cycle Fendered" is something new to them, glad I've enjoyed looking at cars with them for over 60+ years now. 

blue-train-bentley_Header-image.jpg

Aston_Martin_ALP_frontTQ2-e1544567323941.jpg

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 2

The so-called "cycle fendered" Hupmobiles were made from 1932 (second series) until 1934 (first series).  The term "cycle fendered" usually refers to fenders that actually turn with the front wheels.  Hupmobile seems to have referred to this style as "form fitting" fenders.  The front fenders on the Hupmobile K, F and I's were attached to the running boards by two T shaped bolts with rubber spacers. They are also bolted to the frame top rail and front splash pan.

The last iteration of these cars was dressed up with additional chrome trim for the 25th anniversary of Hupp.  As well, the windshield frame was rounded at the top and the grill was slightly canted.  Engine horsepower was upped just a bit on the big 8's but the engines are really identical.

Their rarity is the subject of much debate as these cars pop up and then disappear.

The extra 4 inches on the I's makes going up steep hills interesting as the road disappears from view and all you get to see is that circle H hood ornament. 

They are fabulous vehicles . . . very posh for mid-priced cars, powerful, and rock solid.  Down side are Steeldraulic mechanical brakes (they will stop the car but are prone to fade after repeated braking) and the Stromberg UUR2 carbs which are subject to all the problems of the early pot metal carbs.  But then you do have freewheeling!

I saw this particular vehicle at Hershey in the early 2000's.  It was extremely nice then and looks like it has kept its condition.

Any buyer should definitely join the Hupmobile Club . . . good bunch of folks, active and have the resources to help (including the original factory blueprints).

Got a dual side mounted I426 sitting in the garage waiting for the cooler weather.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

18 minutes ago, Bloo said:

As far as I know these cars were called "Cycle Fendered Hupps" since they were new. Changing it now would do nothing but muddy the waters.

This is what I thought. I was genuinely surprised by the number of posters in this thread that had never heard the term specifically applied to this era Hupps.

• Like 3

I'm surprised that anyone looking at that Hupp doesn't understand what "cycle fender" means. It's clearly a different design that hugs the wheel. Whether it's technically a true cycle fender is kind of irrelevant--it's an apt description of a car with a very unique styling feature. I really like them.

Also, I have officially joined team blackwall. West's mockup looks awesome.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 4

12 hours ago, JERZEEFATBOY said:

The so-called "cycle fendered" Hupmobiles were made from 1932 (second series) until 1934 (first series).  The term "cycle fendered" usually refers to fenders that actually turn with the front wheels.  Hupmobile seems to have referred to this style as "form fitting" fenders.  The front fenders on the Hupmobile K, F and I's were attached to the running boards by two T shaped bolts with rubber spacers. They are also bolted to the frame top rail and front splash pan.

The last iteration of these cars was dressed up with additional chrome trim for the 25th anniversary of Hupp.  As well, the windshield frame was rounded at the top and the grill was slightly canted.  Engine horsepower was upped just a bit on the big 8's but the engines are really identical.

Their rarity is the subject of much debate as these cars pop up and then disappear.

The extra 4 inches on the I's makes going up steep hills interesting as the road disappears from view and all you get to see is that circle H hood ornament. 

They are fabulous vehicles . . . very posh for mid-priced cars, powerful, and rock solid.  Down side are Steeldraulic mechanical brakes (they will stop the car but are prone to fade after repeated braking) and the Stromberg UUR2 carbs which are subject to all the problems of the early pot metal carbs.  But then you do have freewheeling!

I saw this particular vehicle at Hershey in the early 2000's.  It was extremely nice then and looks like it has kept its condition.

Any buyer should definitely join the Hupmobile Club . . . good bunch of folks, active and have the resources to help (including the original factory blueprints).

Got a dual side mounted I426 sitting in the garage waiting for the cooler weather.

Could you elaborate a bit more on the "big" eight vs the standard eight?    I assume all the eights have the 126" wheelbase?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, 8E45E said:

Him (or one of his associates) designed your car too!

I believe 1938 was the first year Studebaker hired Lowey & Associates to design their cars.

Craig

Yes, they also had the highest paid woman in the auto industry design the interiors, she was a NY fashion designer. 
The 38 Studebaker was the Art Deco design of the year winner. I would be willing to trade my 38 for this 33 if they want too.
dave s  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, SC38dls said:

Yes, they also had the highest paid woman in the auto industry design the interiors, she was a NY fashion designer. 
The 38 Studebaker was the Art Deco design of the year winner. I would be willing to trade my 38 for this 33 if they want too.
dave s  

That was Helen Dryden, who was hired by Studebaker a year or two previous.

Craig

• Thanks 1