Beginning to think about an Circa 30's Car: Ford, Buick, Chrysler? maybe Packard or Hudson?

In the dim past I had a Model A. Now I'm thinking about another car for similar vintage, something between 1925 and early 30's. We're partial to the style of the earlier cars but we have two requirements: My wife must be able to drive it and it must be capable of travel in the slow lane on the freeway during light traffic conditions (cruise at 50ish). I'm interested in a driver, not a show car, and although we wouldn't want anything that looked like a hot rod, an "improved"  Model A (better brakes and maybe overdrive) would work, plus the Ford has an active club which meets down the street. On the other hand a Buick or a Chrysler product seems much more car for the money. Buick also has a local club, but Chrysler has supposedly better brakes.  A '30 Buick 46S that might fit the budget (+/- 20-25K)... We don't want a sedan but don't require an open car either. Smaller is better in my wife's opinion. I'm not against thinking "outside the box" ...we currently own a '51 Simca Sport. What do you think?

There seems to be a fair number of people asking questions on this forum recently about Chryslers in the years you are listing.  That seems to indicate there is an interest in the brand, however most are asking where can I find parts and where do I find information.  In the Ford Model A camp those questions are mostly non existent.  Personally I would like a Buick or Packard from that era if I was limiting myself to that time frame. I’ve never owned either of those brands but I think there is a fair amount of support for them.  Good luck in your search!

Edited by TerryB (see edit history)
  • Like 2

Mechanically, I think Chrysler came up with some good designs fairly early on and then kept them for a lot of years. This means that basic mechanical and maintenance parts are usually pretty easy to come by. Many parts are still available through your local better auto supply as long as you can find a cross reference to modern numbers. At least this is true if you are looking at 1933 and newer for Plymouth and Dodge.

While 50 MPH or 55 MPH is more comfortable, I have done long distance travel in my '33 averaging a bit over 60 MPH. Long distance in this case including the roughly 1000 miles from Tucson to the SF Bay area.

But if you are looking at a Chrysler product look carefully at how complete the trim items are and what condition they are in. For makes that are more popular for collectors you can buy reproductions of practically everything. Not true for most 1930s Chrysler products. You may spend years looking for a usable or repairable piece of trim.

• Like 2

For early 30s, freeway if you don't go Full Classic Buick would be my choice.  Powerful, stylish and seem well supported.

Going mid to late and you have a lot more options.  Our 39 120 would cruise at 60, 65 all day long.

Love the A but not a long highway or freeway vehicle.  

33 minutes ago, Leif in Calif said:

In the dim past I had a Model A. Now I'm thinking about another car for similar vintage, something between 1925 and early 30's. We're partial to the style of the earlier cars but we have two requirements: My wife must be able to drive it and it must be capable of travel in the slow lane on the freeway during light traffic conditions (cruise at 50ish)

The Model A's like you had were geared better than most other same age common cars (not counting exotic or high end brands).  You should not buy a 1920s to very early 30s of another brand unless you are allowed to test drive it everywhere you want to use one.  You might be shocked at how many brands "honestly" feel their best at 40! -45mph, and then trying to get to 50+mph sure sounds and feels like it's beating on the engine.  (They just were not designed to do that).   I see so many newcomers buy an early car, then get it delivered only to find out that the car is nothing but a road hazard in todays busy, and scatterbrain texting world and then they simply don't feel safe at all> ..then the car gets parked or put back up for sale (oh, and then you discover that so few people want it, or willing to pay anything close to what you did ! ).  

There is the reason why early prewars are never seen (alone) on the road except on some "organized tour" where you have to trailer it to get there to be able to drive in a pack of like-era cars for "defensive strength in numbers".    Early Prewars are are dying hobby for the guy who just wanted to use it for pleasure drives and running town errands. (unless they are lucky enough to live in very rural unpopulated flat land, then it's really a fun hobby again ! 

I've seen Cal highways on police and traffic videos and can't believe you'd want to drive these cars there, even in off peak hours,.... but I can also see on maps that sometimes there is no other way to get where you are going. 

What I am getting to, is that buying by looks and how quaint it visually is, usually is a bad choice.  You likely already realize that automobile refinements including cruise speeds, had radically advanced every couple of years past the mid 20s.

the unfortunate part is that if you want that late 20s to very early 30s look, then you most likely won't be happy with buying something from mid-30s like a 36-38 Buick Century that will do very good in higher speeds and traffic, or another mid 30s with factory OD.

All that said, my primary year round car for 3+ years is a 1932 which is my favorite year of most brands styling.  (And I live alone so there is no modern car here to use).  It has single circuit drum brakes, generator, vacuum wipers, points ignition, 3 speed with no syncro on first, and bias tires, but it's been repowered and geared up, (a lot).

• Like 2

There seem to frequently be Model A's come up for sale that have been set up for driving/touring.  No other car will compare (except maybe Ford V8) for widely available parts and knowledge.  For me, though, the Model A is a little too compact with two adults in it; I suppose that is a function of your personal dimensions.  I think that any other car in that era is going to have some deeper challenges when it comes to parts, manuals, general knowledge.  I personally like the Chryslers and Buicks, but was recently surprised when buying a '48 Chrysler how little is available for it, vs. a comparable Ford or GM product.

4 hours ago, F&J said:

You might be shocked at how many brands "honestly" feel their best at 40! -45mph, and then trying to get to 50+mph sure sounds and feels like it's beating on the engine.  (They just were not designed to do that). 

Well said, F & J!  Understanding history will put cars'

performance in the proper perspective.

In 1928, the Jordan car company did a survey on speed. 

They found that 90% of people never drove more than

40 to 45 m.p.h.  People liked to have reserve power,

though, for special needs--hills, quick acceleration in traffic,

and a burst of speed for an emergency.  That explains

the observation above that speeds are most comfortable at 

40-45 or less.

In the late 1920's, in Pennsylvania at least, there was a major

program that was paving the main highways.  Many still were

not paved, and country roads were still dirt or gravel.  From

a 1927 publication of the Penna. Dept. of Highways, here's 

a photo of a typical major highway:

1927 highway photo.jpg

Edited by John_S_in_Penna (see edit history)

A Studebaker has a lot of room, good support and parts availability. Great engine that was easy to rebuild and a good easy ride. Mine is a 38 State Commander 6 cyl. The President models are 8 cyl. 
dave s 

It is hard to beat a well tuned and fitted 1931 Model A Tudor for cost, reliability, availability of parts, ease of maintenance etc (or a roadster, coupe, sedan), and joy on the road is only possible with trouble free transport. And there is no issue with mechanical brakes, well capable of stopping the car and none of the issues hydraulic brakes of that era have (leaks for example). And virtually any issue with a Model A can be fixed by any local knowledgeable car guy. The 1931 Chevrolet is equally reliable and a bit larger, with a 6 cyl engine, but like the Model A, comfortable at 40-45 max. When you step out of these 2 "common" cars (some might throw Plymouth& Dodge into same category), which have a huge following and supplier network, ownership comes with a new set of challenges, typically, who is going to service your car, parts unavailability, higher purchase cost, etc. This '31 Model A Tudor is owned by a friend who restored it 15-20 years ago. He drives it generously every summer and it remains in superb condition. But he does limit his runs to  40-50 mile return trips just as a caution. My '31 Deluxe Chevrolet was undergoing restoration when photo was taken in 2017, but again is vey reliable. Another friends '31 Dodge DH is a 25 year old restoration and runs trouble free every summer. I'll let others reflect on the next level up, Buick, Studebaker, Chrysler, Pontiac or even higher, Packard, Auburn.....!  

IMG_5271.JPG

IMG_4669.JPG

IMG_4668.JPG

• Like 3

Nice looking cars! I did have a Model A in the past, and I am the care taker for my city's '25 Chevy, which allows me to participate in the local vintage Chevy club. An "A" would be a consideration, but it has some deficiencies;  very high brake pedal effort and lower cruising speed.  I've seen cars that are modified to eliminate both of those (I attended a "Hot for Hot Fours" meet a few years ago) so that is a possibility.  

• Like 1

I love the looks of late 30's cars. But not the driving experience. I live in S-W Ontario Canada in a 400,000 plus city. Even though the county roads aren't that far away every 5 minutes I see some driver stray across into my lane texting or doing double the speed limit. I took my buddy's 38 Chevrolet Master Deluxe out for a short drive last week. Couldn't wait to get it back into his driveway! Just not for me.

If I did want a 30's car it would be a Buick, Cadillac or big Studebaker. Preferably a 37 Studebaker coupe. 

The Packard 120 has a lot of appeal in personality and looks, and I am told they are a very nice driving car. This is the mass produced, lower priced straight eight they brought out in the mid 30s. It was followed by the 110, an even lower priced six cylinder car. How they do at modern highway speeds, I leave to the experts, but it deserves serious consideration.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Rusty_OToole said:

The Packard 120 has a lot of appeal in personality and looks, and I am told they are a very nice driving car. This is the mass produced, lower priced straight eight they brought out in the mid 30s. It was followed by the 110, an even lower priced six cylinder car. How they do at modern highway speeds, I leave to the experts, but it deserves serious consideration.

I agree on this. Packard is a good choice. I go by the looks as I'm not buying one. The 37 Studebaker coupe is the pinnacle of Art Deco styling to me. The Packard is likely a better car but just look at the Stude

1937 Studebaker President Coupe | Hyman Ltd.

• Like 1

Many thanks for all the good advice. It's a big "auto world" out there and in my experience, at some point a car finds you, and there's no tellin' what it might be. As an example of how random the universe can be, here's a car that found me about 1987: 

image.jpeg.a4703ba4516f177ad3c5b5d125418344.jpeg

• Like 5

12 hours ago, Leif in Calif said:

Many thanks for all the good advice. It's a big "auto world" out there and in my experience, at some point a car finds you, and there's no tellin' what it might be. As an example of how random the universe can be, here's a car that found me about 1987: 

image.jpeg.a4703ba4516f177ad3c5b5d125418344.jpeg

Never saw a car with a built-in BBQ like that😀. Nice!

• Like 2