50 years ago a 16 year old George Albright bought his first car-a stunning 1970 Z28 Camaro!

I’m 66 now. It was July 1972 and this stunning copper Z-28  4 speed car came up for sale in the Orlando paper. Had 12,000 miles. Price was $2,700. Original price in 1970 was $4,200. I still have that original classified ad! Drove it for 11th and half of 12th grade high school years. Sold it in November of 1974 the day these photos were taken. Bought a 1971 Datsun 240-Z right after that. Drove it 5 years till I started law school. Then drove a first year 1977 BMW 320I for five more years. Yea that makes me a spoiled brats car guy. PS bought my first old car in college , 1930 Model A Ford. Still going strong on old cars and AACA 50 years later. Also went to my first of many Hersheys with my grandfather in 1972 and 1973. This is a lifelong addiction! Thanks George 

EC947F53-6E3E-4914-A05E-14EBFE2CF81A.jpeg

19A4AF86-B053-4DC9-BD82-533A34E8F1BE.jpeg

Edited by Steve Moskowitz
Had to teach George how to spell Camaro :) (see edit history)
  • Like 16
  • Thanks 1

• Steve Moskowitz changed the title to 50 years ago a 16 year old George Albright bought his first car-a stunning 1970 Z28 Camaro!

Thanks for posting about the car that started it all.

When I was in my late teens I purchased a 1975 Camaro 350 cid / 350 auto car with AC.

It was a very nice driving car so I know yours drove well but with a ton more power.

I always liked early cars but then when I rode with friends on the 1991,1993 and 1995 London to Brighton Runs in England  for pre1905 cars I was totally hooked! I owned around 20 pre-1905 cars in the following 20 years including five 1903 and 1904 orient buckboards. Placed them all in good homes! I think car guys come to admire many or most of the car eras once they study and admire the cars and their back stories 

• Like 1

Last week I bought this all original paint and interior 29k miles and Red Ram V8 hemi standard shift off of AACA not mine forum. Liking those sea foam green 50s cars these days. Also bought off of AACA forum a superb 1941 Hupmobile Skylark with the old Cord body several months ago. All of our car tastes evolve. Go AACA!

1CCF545B-824D-4339-ABB7-4B804A8785DD.png

• Like 1

I sold my car in November of 1973. In early 1974 the owner took it to a shop for engine work. That Saturday night the mechanic took it out of the shop without  permission and totaled it. My high school friend had a 1971 Z28 blue with white strips. He totaled it around 1975. I’m truly truly lucky to be alive! The drinking age in Florida then was 18 and Busch beer was $1.00 a six pack. Life was good but dangerous!

• Like 1

just because you can drink at 18 /21 or what ever be kind to your liver its more then likely the only one your going to have . i worker for a guy that drank two cases [that's 48 cans] of beer a day he made it to 53 yo i use to tell him that fram did not make a ph-8 spin off replaceable liver . and yes that is a vary nice car to bad it ended up like it did but who knows selling it may have been a good thing for your well being

Edited by sowesellit (see edit history)

22 hours ago, George Albright said:

Stock wheels. No air conditioning. Wasn’t an option on Z28s. The story goes the LT1 engines reeved too high to keep an air conditioning belt on. My car has the 4:10 rear axle option,deluxe seats, power steering and brakes. Was very very very fast! 10 miles per gallon. 

I don't think it would idle that well with the A/C on either, part of the reason for A/C not being available  . Cool car George, very cool (although hot to ride in)

Edited by John348 (see edit history)

13 hours ago, Dave Gray said:

Pretty rare car. 1970 was the year of the labor strike.

No idea on 1970 but I am aware of a strike that wiped out most of 1972 production at least for the GM Fbody's. All time low in production. 1972 anything firebird is very rare.

11 hours ago, E-116-YH said:

Hello George,

Congratulations on reaching 66, our nearest neighbor's son bought a copper Z-28 new. I was not yet a teenager but that car was sure nice to see just setting in their driveway. Their son drove it into a two foot Oak tree at 160mph. That was the end of him and the car. I can still see that gorgeous automobile in my mind!  

David J Crash_0001.jpg

David J Crash_0004.jpg

There was a fellow a few years older than myself. I will say he was spoiled and leave it there. He got a brand new bright orange corvette for his 16th birthday. Had it for a few months before taking out a fence row and totaling it. He did survive.

3 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

No idea on 1970 but I am aware of a strike that wiped out most of 1972 production at least for the GM Fbody's. All time low in production. 1972 anything firebird is very rare.

That strike also delayed the new A-body 'Colonnade' restyle until 1973.  1972 was supposed to be its introduction date.

Craig

35 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

I remember seeing pictures of the assembly line at the Norwood Ohio plant with cars just sitting there. 

All 1,100 of the cars on sitting on the line at the time of the strike were scrapped because the strike was settled after the new model year and did not meet the newer emission standards.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Norwood_Assembly

https://www.stevesnovasite.com/threads/crushed-1972-models.681668/

Great Camaro, used cars that are only a few years old are fun, lot's of enjoyment for less cost. My Brother bought a new '73 Camaro LT version. Luxury Touring: two barrel 350, auto, he added glass pack duals. No a/c. He took it on a cross country trip from then Bay Area to New York City and lots of other trips, racked up 70,000 miles in three years. The he went on to a Trams Am, and another Camaro. I won't say it, but I'll just think it, "Wish I wouldn't have sold It." I know that everyone tells you that.

Let me close this wonderful discussion of many things by again saying yes I was definitely a spoiled brat in high school and college for getting to own both of these iconic chariots as my daily driver. That and a grandfather who loved old cars and turned me on to them and AACA. What a superb combination! Sincerely George 

• Like 3