Wally's 1953 Chevrolet - "Leave it to Beaver"

A 1963 episode this morning showed Wally and the Beav in Wally's 53 Chevy convertible. I noticed it had Two-Ten side trim and thought hmm since I had thought the convertible body style was available only on BelAirs.

A quick look at me Standard Catalog of American Cars 1946-1975 showed there were 5617 1953 Two-Ten convertibles made, compared to 24047 BelAirs. It was the last time a convertible appeared in the lower-line Chevrolets.

So looks like Wally Cleaver's ratty ten-year-old ragtop may have been a rare piece!

• Like 6

There is another episode where Wally buys a rusty 1936 Ford to restore. June freaks out because the rusty car looks bad in front of her perfect house. What will the neighbors think? She makes Ward make Wally get rid of it. What a witch. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The Standard Catalog of American Cars, 1946-1975, Edited by John Gunnell states "The 210 convertible was deleted in midyear and the 210 Townsman station wagon was also dropped for 1954, along with the 210 sport coupe."  Between the low take rate, the $82 difference with the Bel Air convertible and likely the lower unit profit on 210 convertible sales, there wasn't much reason to continue cataloguing it.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Tom Boehm said:

There is another episode where Wally buys a rusty 1936 Ford to restore. June freaks out because the rusty car looks bad in front of her perfect house. What will the neighbors think? She makes Ward make Wally get rid of it. What a witch. 

I think it was this episode, Wally bought the car for something like $15, June insisted on getting rid of it.  Ward struck up a deal with the local junk guy and it was only going to cost $25 to have it hauled away. Meanwhile Wally parted the car out for $50!

My dollar values may be off as its been awhile since I have seen the show.

(And theres no way Mrs. Cleaver is a witch, she is everybodys mom, LOL)

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

On 7/8/2022 at 12:55 PM, rocketraider said:

A 1963 episode this morning showed Wally and the Beav in Wally's 53 Chevy convertible. I noticed it had Two-Ten side trim and thought hmm since I had thought the convertible body style was available only on BelAirs.

A quick look at me Standard Catalog of American Cars 1946-1975 showed there were 5617 1953 Two-Ten convertibles made, compared to 24047 BelAirs. It was the last time a convertible appeared in the lower-line Chevrolets.

So looks like Wally Cleaver's ratty ten-year-old ragtop may have been a rare piece!

Well, 5617 is 19% of the total 29664 Belair/210 convertibles.  YMMV but I wouldn't call that rare.  However compared to total 1953 Chev production...yeah, it's rare.

• Like 1

I grew up watching this show. It gave me a window into a stereotype of the ideal suburban middle class family, which was not exactly what my own experience was! Many of the story lines are quite funny and heart warming and can be enjoyed by almost anyone. The mom's reaction to having an old junker in front of the house hasn't changed much. Go to a blue collar neighborhood and you are likely to see older drivers and projects parked in the driveways, as well as the occasional forlorn "side yard" car. 

Now that I'm older and I guess middle class myself, I can look around my neighborhood and see little activity that concerns vintage cars. except for my house. I have become more sensitive to my neighbor's concerns and try to keep my activities clean and low key. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, 1957Birdman said:

I liked Lumpy's 1940 Ford Deluxe convertible.

Lew Bachman

1957 Thunderbird

image.jpeg.8efd8f27baaa42fd2f9492b1f0de32b9.jpeg

Well Lumpy had a decent 40 FORD until Wally and Eddie took Ward Cleavers tow chain and hooked the chain to a tree, When Lumpy drove away the axel and torque tube assy stayed in Freds driveway.

Watch Leave It to Beaver Online - Full Episodes - All Seasons - YidioBest Episodes of Leave It To Beaver | List of Top Leave It To Beaver  EpisodesKIP'S AMERICAN GRAFFITI BLOG: YANKING YOUR CHAIN

That episode "Wallys practical joke" probably inspired this;

KIP'S AMERICAN GRAFFITI BLOG: YANKING YOUR CHAIN

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

On 7/9/2022 at 9:50 AM, TAKerry said:

I think it was this episode, Wally bought the car for something like $15, June insisted on getting rid of it.  Ward struck up a deal with the local junk guy and it was only going to cost $25 to have it hauled away. Meanwhile Wally parted the car out for $50!

My dollar values may be off as its been awhile since I have seen the show.

(And theres no way Mrs. Cleaver is a witch, she is everybodys mom, LOL)

It was a different car that Wally bought without his parents' permission that was parked in the driveway and parted out.  It was discussed recently in an earlier thread on this forum.  The Chevy convertible was used in a few episodes.  it was quite ratty for a ten-year-old car.  Imagine all of the old cars you could buy in 1963 that weren't rusted out and sold for little money out in LA.

• Like 4

The 53 was in another episode this morning (think Eddie Haskell's credit card🤑) and noticed it had the accessory fender guides and spotlight. PowerGlide car too.

Until it became a TV teenager's ten year old heap, I think midline car or not it was actually a pretty sharp looker. Have to wonder if it still exists or maybe even been restored.

My brother drove a 53 for quite a few years. Got him through HS and mid way through college. At the time I thought it was a cool old car but the tri fives were the cats meow and the lowly 53 seemed like a B... step child. Now I would take a 53 any day over the tri 5's. Especially a convertible, Great looking car.

• 2 weeks later...
7 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Tony Dow died today aged 77. 

Mmph. Lumpy, Eddie and Wally back together. Probably waiting to give Beaver and Gilbert "the business"!

Wonder if he ever knew we talked about his LITB cars on an old car website?

He's in Hospice, poor guy. From what I've read he's really a nice person.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)

Everything I've read about the LITB cast said they were all decent people offscreen. On Ken Osmond's death, Jerry Mathers said he was one of the best friends he'd ever had and was certainly nothing like his Eddie Haskell character.

Hospice generally means the end is close. Here's to a good guy who entertained us as he grew up, and takes us back to a simpler time in reruns. Wally- WE appreciated your 36 Ford even if Mama Cleaver didn't!

• Like 3

The TV series ended in 1963 and kind of ended an era of a more innocent America, pre Viet Nam, and pre Kennedy assassination.  I loved that episode with the 36 Ford coupe, but wish Wally could have kept it and got it running instead of handing it over to the auto wrecker.  In contrast, in an earlier family show from the 50s, Bud Anderson bought a Model A touring car for $25, which he told his mom was in perfect condition, except it didn't run!  But Bud's mom was more understanding and got a wrench and overalls to help Bud fix it.  

• Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

S1 E34 from 1958 on this morning and showed the best yet- rear view of a 1958 Edsel Bermuda wagon!  1 of an estimated 892 made, and back then it was just a contemporary car that didn't sell that well.

Between the hype, the unconventional styling, the 1958 recession and McNamara, the Edsel didn't have a chance. But it lives on in LITB reruns!👍

• Like 2

• Peter Gariepy changed the title to Wally's 1953 Chevrolet - "Leave it to Beaver"