Chevy Making All Corvettes Electric From Now On?

• Twisted Shifter changed the title to Chevy Making All Corvettes Electric From Now On?

I have heard that the new electric Corvette has dual mounted speakers on both sides of the drivers head that reproduces the mighty sound of a 1000 HP racing car.

It also has an optional set of dual electric hearing aids for speaking to your friends while you are not driving.

😁     

• Haha 2

Misleading headline is misleading. Article written by a writer who doesn't really understand how cars work.

Chevrolet has been planning a Corvette with electric assist motors since the beginning of C8 gestation. It's a way to boost performance first and foremost, but the car will not be 100% electric. It will use a standard gas engine in the back and an electric motor in the front to create AWD and together the two powerplants will put out more than 1000 horsepower. It's all about more performance, not due to regulations or all the other scary myths everyone is so afraid of.

Untwist thy knickers.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 4

I'm just curious why anyone would think that a website named "tellmebest" with no insight into their sources or credibility is a reliable source of information... 🙄

Oh, silly me. They are "the gold standard". It says so right on their website. 🤣

42389680_Screenshot2022-06-22at08-50-00AboutUs.png.1bcd19a0e3d5d849620b5ddae28e96bd.png

Edited by joe_padavano (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

20 minutes ago, Matt Harwood said:

It will use a standard gas engine in the back and an electric motor in the front to create AWD and together the two powerplants will put out more than 1000 horsepower. It's all about more performance

Will each powerplant drive its own set of wheels? How will they be synchronized to each other?

Shades of the Hurst Hairy Oldsmobile. I don't think they ever got those two Toronado drivetrains to play well together. As Hairy's driver Joe Schubeck often said "Hairy went where Hairy wanted to go".

Now imagine handling a Corvette with a gas drivetrain on one end and an electric one on the other, when the power and torque curves aren't perfectly or even near-perfectly synchronized.

17 minutes ago, rocketraider said:

Will each powerplant drive its own set of wheels? How will they be synchronized to each other?

Shades of the Hurst Hairy Oldsmobile. I don't think they ever got those two Toronado drivetrains to play well together. As Hairy's driver Joe Schubeck often said "Hairy went where Hairy wanted to go".

Now imagine handling a Corvette with a gas drivetrain on one end and an electric one on the other, when the power and torque curves aren't perfectly or even near-perfectly synchronized.

I'm pretty sure the engineers have it figured out. The most recent Acura NSX uses a similar powertrain and as the "article" points out, Ferrari's fastest cars are hybrids using this sort of arrangement (same with Porsche). It's not like synchronizing two gas engines, which apparently isn't all that hard--the guys at Car & Driver magazine built a two-engine Honda Civic that worked just fine and they built it at night in the parking lot.

The nice thing about electric motors is that they don't need transmissions and don't care how fast they spin. One motor in front driving the front wheels, gas engine driving the rear. Synchronizing them shouldn't really be an issue given that there's no transmission and the electric motor doesn't care how fast it's spinning. I presume it will be an 'on demand' situation for short bursts of all-out acceleration. Whatever speed the wheels are turning, just turn on the current and the electric motor engages. Synchronization is probably a minor issue easily solved with software.

Edited by Matt Harwood (see edit history)
  • Like 2

All this dual technology is just a bunch of rubbish………it’s a way to make a car only serviceable by a dealer. The glitz and glamor they are selling is just a smoke screen to have their cars end up like the exotic jobs. 70 percent of the value of ALL car companies are not the manufacturing equity, but the dealer network. They are trying to secure the future where only they can fix the car. And the people will eat it up…….till they get the bill.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

12 minutes ago, edinmass said:

All this dual technology is just a bunch of rubbish………it’s a way to make a car only serviceable by a dealer. The glitz and glamor they are selling is just a smoke screen to have their cars end up like the exotic jobs. 70 percent of the value of ALL car companies are not the manufacturing equity, but the dealer network. They are trying to secure the future where only they can fix the car. And the people will eat it up…….till they get the bill.

Everyone said that about fuel injection, too. Remember in about 1984 or so? Oh, guess that's the end of DIY performance. No more bolting on headers and a carburetor, we'll all have computers driving our cars for us. Won't be able to fix it yourself anymore, they're just too complicated. Then it turned out that fuel injection and computers were about the greatest thing to ever happen to the automobile and even guys in their driveway can tune EFI on a laptop today.

I have every confidence that whatever cars are built, however they're powered, enthusiasts will find a way to tweak them and make them faster. It's inevitable. I can buy a chip for our E-Tron that adds 150 horsepower. Not that I want to, but someone has already hacked the software and made an over-the-counter modification. I think it's a mistake to dismiss change simply because we don't personally understand or appreciate the technology. Rest assured, someone does and they're surely younger than we. No need to worry, whatever changes come.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Ed , as usual you are spot on. High tech machines of any stripe are just wonderfull when brand new and for the first few years. After that, wallet look out ! You are going to get flattened at some point as some part of the system goes haywire.

I worked on a highly automated ship for a decade. As it got older the repair costs just became staggering. Ship itself still had lots of life left , but it needed a $140 Million, mid life equipment replacent a few years ago. Now it is even more automated / high tech. I wonder how long it will be before the new set up becomes unmaintainable ? I am retired so keeping this plant up and running is thankfully no longer my problem. But someone is going to inherit the same situation I was in in a few more years as things start to fail.  And this is marine grade equipment, makes automotive stuff look like a made in China RC toy car. Think Military grade if you are not familiar with modern Marine set ups.

Several times we needed to fly Siemens techs over from Germany to sort out deep problems.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 3

Ed, for a change we are in total disagreement.  First, while I have not been a new car dealer in 19 years I do follow the industry and we do get Automotive News here at the Library.  I also talk to a lot of folks in the industry.  To think major manufacturers thinking is how to make dealers prosper is insane in my opinion.  They have no investment in dealers as most are not even a franchise but a service agreement.  The trend seems to indicate that many manufacturers are at least exploring the TESLA model.  As a dealer, we heard the back room comments by many in high places that we were a "necessary evil" and during the Smale/Zarella era they made a point that they felt dealers made too much money.  I was in one of those meetings so it is not second hand.  Of course many dealers did not make a fair return and had everything they owned pledged to the banks.  The corporates executives could leave with a golden parachute.  Think you have had one too many on this one!  :) 

I think all of the above comments should be rehashed 20 years from now. Good arguments on both sides. It would be interesting to see who is right. I am leaning towards Matt’s conviction of being able to figure it out.
As far as Ed’s comments I would guess people said the same thing when they supercharged Auburns and Bentleys or Whites and you became a master of that type technology. 
Either way I am pretty sure a corvette isn’t a car I could possibly afford no matter what the drive train is and I most likely won’t be here 20 years from now anyway. 
dave s 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, joe_padavano said:

I'm just curious why anyone would think that a website named "tellmebest" with no insight into their sources or credibility is a reliable source of information... 🙄

Oh, silly me. They are "the gold standard". It says so right on their website. 🤣

42389680_Screenshot2022-06-22at08-50-00AboutUs.png.1bcd19a0e3d5d849620b5ddae28e96bd.png

Joe I was thinking the same as you but did not want to be the first guy say it. The site more along the lines of tell me "what I want to hear"

• Like 1

I think we should all still be driving Model T Fords but no, those dang innovators had to come out with hydraulic brakes, self starters and downdraft carburetors just to complicate things.

Seriously, I do wish I could still do most of my own maintenance and repairs on my DDs. That ability vanished sometime in the eighties. 

Edited by pkhammer
poor wording (see edit history)
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, rocketraider said:

Yes.  It will be similar to a Toyota Sienna minivan awd.  Except in the minivan the electric motor drives the rear wheels.  

see also Ferrari sf90.  

How about the Owen Magnetic idea?  Gas and electric combined as described here

The drive mechanism had no direct connection between the engine and the rear wheels. Instead of a flywheel, a generator and a horseshoe shaped magnet were attached to the rear of the engine's crank shaft. On the forward end of the car's drive shaft, was an electric motor with an armature fitted into an air space inside the whirling magnet. Electric current, transmitted by the engine's generator and magnet attached to the armature of the electrical motor, providing the energy to turn the drive shaft and propel the engine's rear wheels. Speed for the car was controlled by a small lever adjacent to the steering wheel.
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Bhigdog said:

I get my post discussing hearing aids, something MANY of us use or will soon use, vaporized because they aren't 25+ year old cars and yet a car that hasn't even been produced, and virtually no one here will ever own,  is deemed just fine for discussion. Go figure......Bob

Antique Automobile Club of America, they had a 1940 cut off date back when I first joined.

• Like 1

On 6/22/2022 at 7:25 AM, Matt Harwood said:

I have every confidence that whatever cars are built, however they're powered, enthusiasts will find a way to tweak them and make them faster. It's inevitable.

Tesla has ways to detect mods and disable them.

It's inevitable that, as cars communicate more and more with the manufacturer, dealers and manufacturers will be able to disable mods or even put your vehicle in Limp Mode until a mod is removed.

https://www.thedrive.com/tech/35946/tesla-can-detect-aftermarket-hacks-designed-to-defeat-ev-performance-paywalls

Edited by zepher (see edit history)
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

Ed, for a change we are in total disagreement.  First, while I have not been a new car dealer in 19 years I do follow the industry and we do get Automotive News here at the Library.  I also talk to a lot of folks in the industry.  To think major manufacturers thinking is how to make dealers prosper is insane in my opinion.  They have no investment in dealers as most are not even a franchise but a service agreement.  The trend seems to indicate that many manufacturers are at least exploring the TESLA model.  As a dealer, we heard the back room comments by many in high places that we were a "necessary evil" and during the Smale/Zarella era they made a point that they felt dealers made too much money.  I was in one of those meetings so it is not second hand.  Of course many dealers did not make a fair return and had everything they owned pledged to the banks.  The corporates executives could leave with a golden parachute.  Think you have had one too many on this one!  :) 

Wednesday next week I’m doing a brake job on a high end exotic. The scan tool to bleed the brakes is 74k…..and dealer only as of right now. Rumor is the Snap On scanner will have an upgrade of 8k and 1500 a year to keep current…….and you can bleed the brakes. I don’t expect the 20k small economy boxes to go this way……but you can bet your bippy the high end platforms are all headed this way………..how about the Tesla special charge to get the car back into the system if you buy it privately after a repair. Rumor is that when you buy a new car in the future, the subscription to the operating system and its upgrades will be like a cell phone or cable bill……never ending charges and upgrades that will be required to operate the car. Yes, this is already here on equipment……….a never ending bill if you want it to run. Hold on to your wallet……..

SEE POST ABOVE………he beat me to it.

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

4 hours ago, edinmass said:

Wednesday next week I’m doing a brake job on a high end exotic. The scan tool to bleed the brakes is 74k…..and dealer only as of right now. Rumor is the Snap On scanner will have an upgrade of 8k and 1500 a year to keep current…….and you can bleed the brakes. I don’t expect the 20k small economy boxes to go this way……but you can bet your bippy the high end platforms are all headed this way………..how about the Tesla special charge to get the car back into the system if you buy it privately after a repair. Rumor is that when you buy a new car in the future, the subscription to the operating system and its upgrades will be like a cell phone or cable bill……never ending charges and upgrades that will be required to operate the car. Yes, this is already here on equipment……….a never ending bill if you want it to run. Hold on to your wallet……..

SEE POST ABOVE………he beat me to it.

Ed, I would think this would drive up the value on good pre computer high end cars. Is there a good supply of them there in Gods waiting room? 

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Haha 1