Dragone's Iron Range meet / flea market

Flivverking

I'm waiting to hear back from dear Alex Dragone(Dragone Classic Motor Cars) in Connecticut, as to the statis ( or is it status?l)of the next meet in Connecticut.

Anyone closer or in the click ,know of the plans and date?

The Dragone's offer a small ,(so far) and  free ,  not much avertised event the past few years ,that can easily be seen to work up to a major New England  event within a few years.

1 hour ago, Flivverking said:

I knode if I tossed in the "status" thing,I was sure to get a reponce ,or is it ,response? 

I love you all,trying to keep us dopes on our toes! 

90 % of my typos are intentional!

Ha!

Thanks ! 

Friend Alex Dragone says,

June 12th is the date!

And he will be posting it this week for those interested.

As old shows and meets peter out( the natural nature of things) ,any new venues should be supported as much as possible.

I rather a choose a close knit venue like this for vintage auto enthusiasts  verses a public show any time.

BUT! 

That being said,a good show supporting   kids with cancer or the Special Olymics should not be over looked!  Whether your a trophy monger or ?  Use your car for support of something other then your own ego and guilty pleasures.

Make a difference if you can! 

A smile is worth ten times any scratch ! 

Edited by Flivverking (see edit history)
  • Like 3

17 hours ago, Flivverking said:

I knode if I tossed in the "status" thing,I was sure to get a reponce ,or is it ,response? 

I love you all,trying to keep us dopes on our toes! 

90 % of my typos are intentional!

Whilst tan percent are accidents. 

Ha!

Thanks ! 

Fixed that for ya ;) 

Thank you, you sir are the lead agent provocoteur ($P)
Question is, was it on accident or intentional? 
We may never know with the many grammatical errands that run so freeley.

Come to think of it the 12th is a Sunday, maybe you meant to type the 11thf? Or maybe you put the 12fth knowing it was right the entire time thenking someone would ask if was the 11th? And is it really Dragone or Dragon? 
Hmmm

One thing is for sure, donating to kids with cancer in any fashion or with any organization (of your choosing) is something we all need to be supporting yearly if at all possible. Kudos to Alex and the folks that put this meet/show on. 
I've never been but it sounds like a tun of fun in the son. 

I humbully appolgize for being an ass and a jerk, very often/mostly..

I can't help it,the mold was made.

When one has only a 6th grade education(something to do with burning down the sience lab)  and carringing a 22cal.  bolt action  Winchester rifle and  driving and Essex to school ( I was 6 feet tall early)you get a bit warped 

Add in ,Model Ts,A,Bs,Essex/Husdon,Dodge Brothers,Callilac/LaSalley,Chrylers,

Fraiser ,Nash ,Hupmobile,Durants and Plontiacs ,one can get disturbed over time and much nonesense is the result!

I apprecaite the overall tollerace(which I often don't practice myself,gurr!)by the AACA members and followers..

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Flivverking said:

When one has only a 6th grade education(something to do with burning down the sience lab)  and carringing a 22cal.  bolt action  Winchester rifle and  driving and Essex to school ( I was 6 feet tall early)you get a bit warped 

Fraiser ,Nash ,Hupmobile,Durants and Plontiacs ,one can get disturbed over time and much nonesense is the result!

I apprecaite the overall tollerace(which I often don't practice myself,gurr!)by the AACA members and followers..

Have we met? If not what will you be driving over to Dragone's? 

Bob

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

Nice to read of the upcoming event/flea market/ car show sponsored by the Dragones and that it will be supporting a worthy cause!

The name IRON RANGE DAY was first used by Henry Austin Clark Jr. for the twice yearly ( by invitation) day he would have ( in the Spring and in the Fall) at his L.I. Automotive Museum in Southampton, NY. . People who were invited would look through the museums buildings and pick out items then make a pile and buy them after a lunch at John Duck's Restaurant.  ( and George and Manny D. attended them too as they bought a great carved oak book case made in about 1900 by Hurter Bros. that was in an out building - I bought the china cabinet and library table made in the same era by the same company, these were bought new by Austin Clark's father and were a part of the furnishings of their mansion in Flushing, NY)

It would be nice to give credit/acknowledge that the title/name IRON RANGE DAY  first was used for such an event by Austin Clark  for his activity. I was working for Austin when the original Iron Range Day was started and for the remainder of when they were held each year was on board to help make phone calls to a list of invited people. I also contacted John Duck's restaurant to let them know how many would be landing there for lunch and what time, and even was in charge of crank starting the 1920 Autocar 2 cylinder hotel bus ( lots of fun that was 🙄) that transported most of those attending to and from the restaurant.  No complaint, just wanted to give credit where credit is due...................it is a part of the history of preserving old cars.

Here is a photo taken about 1972 at the 'original' L.I.A.M.. Iron Range Days, Austin up front, me in the first window at the back behind him, when I had dark hair and all or most of it!

Walt

AUstinAUTOCARbusLIAM001.jpg

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 7

To Bob(1937HD45).

I don't think we have meet.

You would have either recalled(" this a-hole clown is to be avoided,or OMG,this creep is so much nicer and easier to take inperson,I wonder what's wrong with him?)

I hope to be running over the original '27 Chrylser(the car from HELL) or some new '20's turn key jalopy .

If you see a banjo in the back of any  car..I'm probably the moron there.

If you see creepy ventriloquist dummies as co-pilots..it is certainly is ME.as very few can take my crap.

My dog has given up...But I love him.

• Haha 1

Thanks Walt! I think most people know that Iron Range Day was an event that Henry Austin Clark coined, but never copyrighted, good to let younger people know the history. Wish I had been on one. I did get a ride in the Autocar bus when Wally McCarthy brought it to town for a FARTS Tour. We drove down Main Steet past the site of The Battle of Ridgefield. The Stebbins house was part of the barricade to slow the 2,000 troops on their way to their ships docked in Westport. It would take two or three generations for the Stebbins family to produce Henry Austin Clark, that tid bit came from Austie himself. The Stebbins house came down in the 1880's, replaced by a very nice Italianesque mansion. That lasted until the 1970's when it came down too, the battle site is now covered with condominiums. 

Bob 

27477273311_d3c893e65d.jpg

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Thanks Bob, there are generations of collectors who have heard the name Henry Austin Clark but really have no clue about what he did or what he saved . The Iron Range name is perhaps known to the long time collectors but I would guess less then 25% here reading this knew or know what happened there. What the atmosphere of that era of collecting was like. It was much less focused on "$ value" and more so on appreciation of the parts, cars etc.  to repeat a well used phrase , it was more "old school" half a century ago. 

I have so many fond memories  of the Iron Range days , times and adventures with Austin, and the memories he shared with me of what he experienced . Stuff you wouldn't even consider doing today that was just a "sort of normal" thing that just happened then. I should write all of this down.

• Like 5

Unfortunately for me, 50 years ago, most of the 'good' stuff like that was happening east of the Mississippi River and maybe in California. I only got to read about it in the pages of the old Car Classics magazine, especially the writeups of the annual Hershey meet. Around that time, there was lots of ads for the Hornets Nest Region in Car Classics.

Craig

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, Walt G said:

Thanks Bob, there are generations of collectors who have heard the name Henry Austin Clark but really have no clue about what he did or what he saved . The Iron Range name is perhaps known to the long time collectors but I would guess less then 25% here reading this knew or know what happened there. What the atmosphere of that era of collecting was like. It was much less focused on "$ value" and more so on appreciation of the parts, cars etc.  to repeat a well used phrase , it was more "old school" half a century ago. 

I have so many fond memories  of the Iron Range days , times and adventures with Austin, and the memories he shared with me of what he experienced . Stuff you wouldn't even consider doing today that was just a "sort of normal" thing that just happened then. I should write all of this down.

Walt, your background with Austie plus your writing skills would add up to a great book. "I Knew Austie" sounds like a great sort of biography. I'd like a first edition when you do it. Suitably autographed of course. I was a late Comer and only got to know him at the bar in the J.C. Taylor hospitality suite when the AACA Annual Medting was at the old Ben Franklin Hotel. Later when it moved, I still enjoyed listening to him talk about the cars. I'm glad he took the time to entertain a young Navy guy with not a lot of spare time and money though.

Terry

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Me too I am afraid. Might as well have been a description of the Beaulieu Autojumble. 

13 minutes ago, 8E45E said:

Unfortunately for me, 50 years ago, most of the 'good' stuff like that was happening east of the Mississippi River and maybe in California. I only got to read about it in the pages of the old Car Classics magazine, especially the writeups of the annual Hershey meet. Around that time, there was lots of ads for the Hornets Nest Region in Car Classics.

Craig

I was aware of who Austin Clark was within the hobby, but 0 chance of attending anything back East. Come to think of it , I still can't afford to go to anything much beyond the Pacific North West. Once in a blue moon the Monterey Historics , but that's about it.

• Like 1

Here you go from the Dragone FaceBook page.
I have the pleasure of going to a monthly Supper Club/Car Club that George Dragone attends. Very nice guy.

THE IRON RANGE SWAP MEET 2022!!
Come and join us for our 3rd annual swap meet/car show with coffee, food, and friends on Sunday, June 12th! Last year was an amazing event with such a great turnout and we would like to do it again this year. Really like a mini old Hershey. Our 66,000 square foot showroom and restoration facility full of great cars, motorcycles, and more will be open for everyone to enjoy! We have a large property for parts and automobilia vendors and cars to gather and we will have food trucks on site to provide hot coffee and food and music from D.J. Seth Carley. We have a lot of vendors coming from all over with some great parts, automobilia, and possibly some cars to sell and everyone to enjoy! In fact, there is so much interest from last year and there are so many great people bringing some really great parts and automobilia that this swap meet is truly living up to its name as the "The Iron Range," a name reference that some may remember from car collecting history. We may even run a couple of our big brass cars including our 1906 120HP Locomobile 'Number 1" race car that came in 3rd at the 1908 Vanderbilt cup race and is the sister car to the famous "Old 16". Come and join us, get some driving time in your car, and enjoy some old cars, motorcycles, parts, and of course automobilia with friends just like the old days of car collecting. Contact Alex to RSVP if you have a trailer or just drive your car over. Brass cars to modern supercars are welcome! You will not want to miss this! We hope to see you!
All interested venders must call Alex Dragone to explain what you are selling and to reserve a space. There is no charge for a space.
Where: Dragone Classic Motorcars
5 Connair Road, Orange, CT 06477
When: Sunday June 12th, 2022
7am-3pm
277589855_5320173861366494_1072044619689

277586233_5320174044699809_8546127446298

277584947_5320174541366426_6163203081581

277568228_5320174881366392_4906531277945

• Like 3

On 3/29/2022 at 10:15 AM, Flivverking said:

No need apologize, I thought it was pretty humorous so I was poking fun at a fellow provocateur and was commending Alex for a good cause. I think you may have taken my post the wrong way.