Looking for a 1916 Vehicle and/or Previous...Thanks

SANDOW

I've been following the OP's desire to find an early car. One thing I've not seen is his location. If he provided that information he might get more assistance.  An individual living in Maine isn't going to provide any help to someone living in California, where someone on the west coast just might. 

It’s still going to depend on your budget…

I know of a 1908 S in original condition with lots of extra parts but the buy in is something near 35k, in the same barn is an unrestored 14 T with all its original paperwork and history (Miss. Vicory for the people who remember Bill Eads) but that might be in the 16-18k ballpark…

You can find later T’s and they are still a lot of fun for less money than anything brass. Or if you don’t mind big boxy 20’s sedans they are very reasonably priced and can yield a lot of smile value. If you are mechanically inclined there’s a ton of deals that need work, and remember that the worst thing you can buy is a cheap car, you will pay for it at some time. I bought my Pierce as a running driving car and put a little over 10k into making it actually run. New brakes, wiring, pistons, rods, etc etc etc - heck there’s $2500 in tires alone! It adds up fast…

Here’s a Franklin on Facebook that could be a great car if you want to do a little work, just remember what I just said above 

61530609-8A64-4659-AF1E-79D9173FA5F4.png

5 hours ago, SANDOW said:

Was actually potentially looking for a 1916 Model T Ford,

I have a 15 T touring I have not driven in many years. Will let go for $17,000 Canadian. New rad, tires like new, rebuilt motor and great interior and top. Now I said CANADIAN DOLLARS so how serious are you now and it is a brass era car for the HCCA tours.  

2017-06-29 1915 008.JPG

Edited by Joe in Canada (see edit history)

I have always preferred horseless carriage era cars (pre 1916) myself. But my first antique automobile was the 1929 Reo coupe I bought when I was 17, still in high school. I even drove that car to school a number of times during my senior year! I drove it on numerous club tours, including a couple I belonged to, and a couple I didn't. I accepted the model A Ford club joking about "the only thing holding that car together is the termites, holding hands!" I never actually joined that club, but did go on a number of their tours as a guest because several of my good friends did have model A Fords. That club had an annual swap meet as a fund raiser for the club. For several years, I volunteered for set up and clean up of the grounds, even though I was not a member of the club. Those are still fond memories, more than fifty years later.

Good advice from several people above! That was how I got going in the hobby over fifty years ago.

Hey, Mark W! I like that Franklin! 

And I hope you noticed the 1916 (?) model T currently shown in our "Not Mine!) for sale?

I love all the other cars! But if one could only have ONE antique automobile in the 1910s or 1920s era? For the price, you cannot beat a model T or model A Ford! Clubs and information, parts, help, tours, you name it. Nothing gives more smiles per mile than a model T!

I don't know if that "1916" is a real 1916 or not, could be a 1915, or could be a later car made up to look like a brass era car? That has been done a lot! And you need to know some of what to look for on any antique automobile, but especially on brass era model Ts! A lot of fake ones out there.

Joe (in Canada) posted just ahead of me! His car looks a lot better, and looks to be the better buy. (I wish I could afford it!) But both of these two brass model T touring cars look like they are reasonable cars (for their price).

4 minutes ago, wayne sheldon said:

That club had an annual swap meet as a fund raiser for the club.

By any chance was the meet in Turlock Ca. I did a 5 Hr flight there around 1978 to a model A swap meet in Turlock. 

2 hours ago, 3makes said:

One thing I've not seen is his location. If he provided that information he might get more assistance. 

@SANDOW 3Makes speaks the truth here. There are ver helpful guys here that can give you real help if they happen to be local. I am a young guy in this hobby and I let the really young guys in this hobby play with my cars any time. 

I just picked up a vehicle of the vintage you are after that an 18 year old that wanted to join the best hobby on earth could become the owner of on sweat equity and zero dollars.  Work on mine while you work on yours, I will provide guidance, buy materials and parts for both… on the back side: I got cheap labor, you got a restoration education and a car. I don’t know any 18 year olds near me that would do the work. 

Edited by gossp (see edit history)

Pleased to see you are focusing. If you are now seriously in the market and on the hunt that's great. Your choice of a 15/16 brassy T is fine. Easy to work with, not expensive and a good support group exists. Personally I think a Model A is more usable, but the T will easily get you into brass era motoring. You'll have a blast. But, to tour you'll probably need to haul it from one place to another via truck and trailer.  Best place to find a good T is to join some clubs and start getting to know people in person. You can go on many tours and ride in back seats or help navigate. It's fun and a great way to meet people. Get on the Model T and other forums and watch the far sale ads, but understand many great cars change hands among club members and friends before ever being advertised. Good luck in your search and let us know how you're doing.

Terry

7 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Sandow, I saw your note that you're currently 18.

I got my first antique car a month after I graduated

college--a 1957 Buick.  So I know what the search is like.

I own only one early (pre-World War II) car, of 1916 vintage.

I got it long after my first antique.  I didn't put out want ads,

but I talked to various owners at shows to find out about them,

their speeds, their maintenance needs, etc.  One expert

car restorer was my mentor, did needed servicing and repairs

after I got it, and even taught me to drive it. 

The criteria were fairly broad, too: Something in the 1930's

or before, fairly large, and of a make that is seldom seen,

to make it interesting at shows.  A Viking, a Roamer, a Paige, etc.

would have fit the bill.  I ended up finding a Locomobile.

Locomobiles are decent vehicles, 1957 Buicks are decent too also...Thanks 

6 hours ago, JV Puleo said:

I didn't realize you were that young...and presumably don't have $30,000 for a "first old car." I can identify with that because I'm much older and still don't have that much to spend. I bought my first antique car at 19...it was a 1927 Cadillac 7-passenger sedan that had once belonged to the Governor of Rhode Island. It was in fabulously original condition — quite presentable although at the time (1970) all the "experienced" collectors looked down their noses at a closed car.

I'll share a further word of advice...rather than pre-1916 I think you will have a much better chance of finding something reasonably good in the 1916-1927 time frame. This is about the least popular era (at the moment)...remembering that car collecting is as subject to fashion as ladies clothing. I'd steer clear of anything that will require much plating and it's probably safer to stick with a fairly well-known make. Buicks come to mind...they were well made, there are a lot of them and, as a result there is a good pool of knowledge available. I'm sure there are others as well such as Dodge, REO and Hudson. All of these have an enthusiastic following but have never attracted the kind of money that might make even a 4-door sedan project unaffordable.

You also haven't said if you have any mechanical skills. I confess to having bought my first old car with none at all. My took kit consisted of a set of 3/8-drive Craftsman sockets and some open-end wrenches my father bought in 1950...(and as far as I know, never used). My question is more to the effect "are you willing to learn how to do most of the work yourself?" rather than "can you do it." We all had to start somewhere and there is no faster way to learn than by actually doing things.

Thanks for the advice, 1927 Cadillac 7-passenger Sedan sounds like a neat Vehicles. The enclosed cars are cool too. Originality is decent too...Would like to potentially Learn Too. Also potentially in search of books and/or other literature if you know of any. Getting to maintain and/or work-on stuff can also be a bit of an experience too...Thanks

6 hours ago, CChinn said:

Sandow, Welcome to the club and good luck with your search!  Hope you find the car you are looking for. Now that the “established members” know more about you, I think you will get great advice without the commentary.

To the established members:  Sandow is the type of new member you are always looking for. He’s not a one and done poster, he has replied not once, but to each and every one of your posts so far!  He listens, is respectful and as an 18 year old, he truly is the future of this club. Now let’s help him!

Thank you for the support...appreciate some of the advice given so far, etc. Thanks

6 hours ago, edinmass said:

This one was 82 HP.....and a one off........1915

18 years old buys you a ton of slack............so now it puts things in better perspective. I’m willing to give you a few leads........PM me with a number you can work with........

Also, fly down to Florida, and get a chance to drive all my cars and a few others.......always willing to help out the young guys......I was one, forty years ago!

26E3095D-C5E2-4642-BAAC-93ED2C180C7B.png

Cool car pictured there. Thanks for the reply. Will try to potentially PM you with some details. Where abouts in Florida are you, as also currently in Florida. Could be cool to find more local guys to get advice from ,etc...Thanks

5 hours ago, 1912Staver said:

There is another reason to move up a decade or so from a 1916, usability. A few 1916 and older cars can be driven in regular traffic as long as you are in an area where 40 MPH won't cause a big hold up to other drivers, powerhouse Whites excepted. You can drive them almost anywhere except perhaps an Interstate.

But most 1916 and older cars really will need to be trailered to events and Brass Era runs. Many of the cheaper ones are really only 30 - 35 MPH cars.  So that means in addition to the car itself, there also has to be room in the budget for a truck and trailer. As you get into the mid and later 20's the cars become a lot more road capable. A few will cruise along at 55 - 60.

Thanks for the advice. 

5 hours ago, Peter Gariepy said:

Some random advice...

Pay your dues. Join a club or two. Volunteer your talents.  Built a website for the club.  Help restore a raffle car.  Help put on a local car show.  Volunteer at a local car museum.  Meet other car people and interact and become friends with them.   Trust me, if you plant those seeds, opportunities will arrive you couldn't imagine. 

As to starting with an early car.  I commend you for having high goals.  But consider a more modern antique in the meantime. Availability, cost, access to parts, the ability to drive it, even as a daily driver, might be more practical start for your first antique automobile.

Welcome to the hobby.

Cool advice there...Would like to potentially "get out there" a bit more. Not necessarily much older vehicle local stuff, though there may be some decent opportunities, etc. Definitely cool to do stuff a bit more in-person than over the internet, etc...Thanks

5 hours ago, auburnseeker said:

I bought that 49 Plymouth the summer I was 18. 

Helped I like all types of cars so I was happy to buy the common man boring cars to still enjoy that old car feel.  Actually that summer i worked at a Marina and when I drove it to work on decent days,  I would take it for a ride on back roads during my lunch break.  One particular drive i knew i could take and make it back before the end of lunch.  I actually don't think I ate much lunch that summer,  Spent most of my time driving the car. 

Taking a bit of a road trip can be cool experience, especially when in and/or with a transportation option one may have a connection too, etc (and/or also in the company of others one may have similar friendships, etc with, etc). One could say that with Gas Prices, etc taking those lengthy drives, etc may not necessarily be as economical...Though can still be FUN, LOL...Thanks for the comment, Thanks

5 hours ago, 3makes said:

I've been following the OP's desire to find an early car. One thing I've not seen is his location. If he provided that information he might get more assistance.  An individual living in Maine isn't going to provide any help to someone living in California, where someone on the west coast just might. 

Currently in FL if that helps. Willing to potentially go long distances for a Vehicle though, etc. Even if that may mean across state, county, and/or geographical (oceans, etc) Borders, etc. Though may depend on various factors, etc...Thanks

5 hours ago, Mark Wetherbee said:

It’s still going to depend on your budget…

I know of a 1908 S in original condition with lots of extra parts but the buy in is something near 35k, in the same barn is an unrestored 14 T with all its original paperwork and history (Miss. Vicory for the people who remember Bill Eads) but that might be in the 16-18k ballpark…

You can find later T’s and they are still a lot of fun for less money than anything brass. Or if you don’t mind big boxy 20’s sedans they are very reasonably priced and can yield a lot of smile value. If you are mechanically inclined there’s a ton of deals that need work, and remember that the worst thing you can buy is a cheap car, you will pay for it at some time. I bought my Pierce as a running driving car and put a little over 10k into making it actually run. New brakes, wiring, pistons, rods, etc etc etc - heck there’s $2500 in tires alone! It adds up fast…

Here’s a Franklin on Facebook that could be a great car if you want to do a little work, just remember what I just said above 

61530609-8A64-4659-AF1E-79D9173FA5F4.png

Thanks for the advice...Would potentially be interested in hearing a bit more about the mentioned 1908 Model S Ford and/or 1914 Model T Ford. Thanks

3 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

I have a 15 T touring I have not driven in many years. Will let go for $17,000 Canadian. New rad, tires like new, rebuilt motor and great interior and top. Now I said CANADIAN DOLLARS so how serious are you now and it is a brass era car for the HCCA tours.  

2017-06-29 1915 008.JPG

Neat lookin' vehicle, thanks for the comment. Potentially interested, will maybe potentially consider a bit more...Thanks

3 hours ago, wayne sheldon said:

I have always preferred horseless carriage era cars (pre 1916) myself. But my first antique automobile was the 1929 Reo coupe I bought when I was 17, still in high school. I even drove that car to school a number of times during my senior year! I drove it on numerous club tours, including a couple I belonged to, and a couple I didn't. I accepted the model A Ford club joking about "the only thing holding that car together is the termites, holding hands!" I never actually joined that club, but did go on a number of their tours as a guest because several of my good friends did have model A Fords. That club had an annual swap meet as a fund raiser for the club. For several years, I volunteered for set up and clean up of the grounds, even though I was not a member of the club. Those are still fond memories, more than fifty years later.

Good advice from several people above! That was how I got going in the hobby over fifty years ago.

Hey, Mark W! I like that Franklin! 

And I hope you noticed the 1916 (?) model T currently shown in our "Not Mine!) for sale?

I love all the other cars! But if one could only have ONE antique automobile in the 1910s or 1920s era? For the price, you cannot beat a model T or model A Ford! Clubs and information, parts, help, tours, you name it. Nothing gives more smiles per mile than a model T!

I don't know if that "1916" is a real 1916 or not, could be a 1915, or could be a later car made up to look like a brass era car? That has been done a lot! And you need to know some of what to look for on any antique automobile, but especially on brass era model Ts! A lot of fake ones out there.

Joe (in Canada) posted just ahead of me! His car looks a lot better, and looks to be the better buy. (I wish I could afford it!) But both of these two brass model T touring cars look like they are reasonable cars (for their price).

Thanks for the advice and/or the comments. Will maybe try to potentially check out that posting, Thanks....Thanks

3 hours ago, gossp said:

@SANDOW 3Makes speaks the truth here. There are ver helpful guys here that can give you real help if they happen to be local. I am a young guy in this hobby and I let the really young guys in this hobby play with my cars any time. 

I just picked up a vehicle of the vintage you are after that an 18 year old that wanted to join the best hobby on earth could become the owner of on sweat equity and zero dollars.  Work on mine while you work on yours, I will provide guidance, buy materials and parts for both… on the back side: I got cheap labor, you got a restoration education and a car. I don’t know any 18 year olds near me that would do the work. 

Something like that would potentially be a decent deal...Thanks 

2 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Pleased to see you are focusing. If you are now seriously in the market and on the hunt that's great. Your choice of a 15/16 brassy T is fine. Easy to work with, not expensive and a good support group exists. Personally I think a Model A is more usable, but the T will easily get you into brass era motoring. You'll have a blast. But, to tour you'll probably need to haul it from one place to another via truck and trailer.  Best place to find a good T is to join some clubs and start getting to know people in person. You can go on many tours and ride in back seats or help navigate. It's fun and a great way to meet people. Get on the Model T and other forums and watch the far sale ads, but understand many great cars change hands among club members and friends before ever being advertised. Good luck in your search and let us know how you're doing.

Terry

Thanks, etc

4 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

By any chance was the meet in Turlock Ca. I did a 5 Hr flight there around 1978 to a model A swap meet in Turlock. 

Hey there Joe i C!

No, the swap meet I helped with set up and clean up was the Milpitas annual swap meet held at the Milpitas Ford assembly plant. If I recall correctly, the meet was held in April. The meet was put on by the Santa Clara Valley Model A Ford Club. In the late 1960s and early 1970s, one of the years I helped set up, their seller count exceeded 70 for the first time. The meet continued for about fifteen or twenty more years, when it had grown to about 250 sellers. It became too much for the club to handle anymore, and the Ford Motor Company was becoming more nervous about liability issues. The meet was discontinued, and the plant was closed down by FoMoCo a few years later.  

How many people here remember when a big swap meet was one with about a hundred sellers? The first swap meet I ever attended was advertised in the San Jose  Mercury/News paper, and had fourteen sellers (I counted them!), put on by the El Camino region of the AACA in 1967. It was held at a shopping center parking lot early Sunday morning before the stores opened up.

The Turlock swap meet was a longtime favorite of mine for many years. I attended it most years from 1967 until the mid 1980s. It also began as a fund raiser for a local model A Ford club in Stanislaus county. It began in one corner of the county fairgrounds, and grew to larger than the fairgrounds, renting fields from local farmers in addition to the entire fairgrounds!

I don't know who officially runs it now. It grew to several car clubs and the Boy Scouts a long time ago!

It has been several years since I have been there, due to family demands. It became huge, and still had a fair amount of early stuff. But most of what is there is too modern for my interests.

9 hours ago, SANDOW said:

Thanks for the advice...Would potentially be interested in hearing a bit more about the mentioned 1908 Model S Ford and/or 1914 Model T Ford. Thanks

But here’s the rub, why should I give you the information of cars I’ve known about for 20-30 years and spent the last 5 trying to buy??? The point is that you need to be doing something other than asking us to share our finds and then BS’ing us - it gets old after the first time.

Go get something, or at least join a few clubs and get acquainted with other people who are offering advice and we MIGHT  take you seriously…

Honestly, Ed even offered to let you drive a few different cars to get an idea of what you might want to focus on, something I wouldn’t even let my own brother do. I don’t think you have any idea how rare an offer like that is…

• Like 3

41 minutes ago, Mark Wetherbee said:

But here’s the rub, why should I give you the information of cars I’ve known about for 20-30 years and spent the last 5 trying to buy??? The point is that you need to be doing something other than asking us to share our finds...

Once the original poster defines his budget,

we can share finds that we are not interested in.

That way, we won't be scattering our fire, and

we'll come closer to being on target for what he wants.

AACA members often go out of their way to help newcomers.

SANDOW:  What is your daily driver?  Do you have a garage to store/maintain/repair your potential early vehicle?  Answers to these may help us guide you to a good decision.  All the best!  Greg

• Like 1

A 1916 or earlier car seems like a someday dream car for an 18 yr old.  Unless you are well funded you should be looking at investing in yourself and an education to support you in your future endeavors.  Having a more affordable old car now is fine if you are indeed hooked on old cars. I had the old car bug too early in life but it took until my late 30s until all the pieces fell in place to actually do it.  My early life ownership of older cars as daily transportation was due to financial hardship, not desire.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Joe in Canada said:

2017-06-29 1915 008.JPG

This is the one to buy.

• Like 3

17 hours ago, 3makes said:

His location has been known since the beginning. Look in the left margin under his avatar.

3 hours ago, TerryB said:

A 1916 or earlier car seems like a someday dream car for an 18 yr old.  Unless you are well funded you should be looking at investing in yourself and an education to support you in your future endeavors.  Having a more affordable old car now is fine if you are indeed hooked on old cars. I had the old car bug too early in life but it took until my late 30s until all the pieces fell in place to actually do it.  My early life ownership of older cars as daily transportation was due to financial hardship, not desire.

Agree 100 %. My very wise father shared a gem of his powers of observation with me about a decade before his passing. About my 3 rd decade point in the hobby. " If you had of put even 50% of the effort you have put into your vintage car obsession into learning how to make and manage money, all your ambitions would have come true by now."

I did invest in a good , if costly education, and had a reasonably decent career until cost of living and family expenses  started to outstrip earning increases.

But I never did learn about investments and the power of compound interest, tax advantage pro's and cons on various income streams vs direct employment and all the rest that successful people know inside and out.

Really didn't pay too much attention except in a very general way until retirement was upon me , and by then it was very late in the game.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)

12 hours ago, SANDOW said:

Currently in FL if that helps. Willing to potentially go long distances for a Vehicle though, etc. Even if that may mean across state, county, and/or geographical (oceans, etc) Borders, etc. Though may depend on various factors, etc...Thanks

AACA has 25 regions in Florida. I'd be SHOCKED if there wasn't one close to you.

https://aaca.org/list-of-regions-chapters/

Also, AACA has a discounted membership for you.  https://aaca.org/about-membership/

Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 9.08.53 AM.png

• Thanks 1

Neat lookin' vehicle, thanks for the comment. Potentially interested, will maybe potentially consider a bit more...Thanks

At $13,530.81 USD you should buy the T in Canada and enjoy it. It is an easy to work on car. Parts are easy to find. It has Brass! It has electric lamps. Looks like a great car.

Cool car pictured there. Thanks for the reply. Will try to potentially PM you with some details. Where abouts in Florida are you, as also currently in Florida. Could be cool to find more local guys to get advice from ,etc...Thanks

Take Ed up on his offer. It could be a life changing experience. Certainly worth your time and effort to visit him.

• Like 1

Holy #### Peter, shift over to the Pacific North West and compare chapters vs square miles . No wonder I at times get the feeling I am living in Outer Mongolia.

Exactly one chapter for 4 States and Western Canada. Alaska is doing better on its own.

Edited by 1912Staver (see edit history)
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Mark Wetherbee said:

But here’s the rub, why should I give you the information of cars I’ve known about for 20-30 years and spent the last 5 trying to buy??? The point is that you need to be doing something other than asking us to share our finds and then BS’ing us - it gets old after the first time.

Go get something, or at least join a few clubs and get acquainted with other people who are offering advice and we MIGHT  take you seriously…

Honestly, Ed even offered to let you drive a few different cars to get an idea of what you might want to focus on, something I wouldn’t even let my own brother do. I don’t think you have any idea how rare an offer like that is…

Why would you mention something just to withhold information about it. Consider maybe not sharing it as if you considered sharing information and/or ad on that you yourself are trying to buy them as to potentially not have any confusion. In terms of "going and getting something," that would kind-of be the point of this post. In terms of offers of somewhat near-by individuals to see vehicles are a bit appreciated and/or hopefully something is worked out (Though would they have the info to potentially offer if a "BS'ing" post like this, as you put it, was ever posted?).

3 hours ago, John_S_in_Penna said:

Once the original poster defines his budget,

we can share finds that we are not interested in.

That way, we won't be scattering our fire, and

we'll come closer to being on target for what he wants.

AACA members often go out of their way to help newcomers.

Thanks for the comment...Thanks

Will potentially try to outline and/or post more figures and/or etc in a bit...

3 hours ago, 63RedBrier said:

SANDOW:  What is your daily driver?  Do you have a garage to store/maintain/repair your potential early vehicle?  Answers to these may help us guide you to a good decision.  All the best!  Greg

Thank you for the advice...Looking to potentially make this vehicle my "First Car," so to speak. Though whether and/or not it (once in possession, etc) would be considered by some a Daily-driver at a time may depend of several factors. Though also potentially interested in having/Considering a "Daily-Driver," etc as well as another Vehicle (Such as an Antique Vehicle, etc). Thanks

Edited by SANDOW (see edit history)

2 hours ago, TerryB said:

Thanks for the comment. There may be a bit of consideration as well as potentially other various factors that may result in the consideration of different things, such as potential outcomes as you've stated. This may be something some may consider as a long-time consideration as since when one becomes older they may become "busy" though they may have more "Financial" and/or other situational advantages to having a Desirable Consideration and/or Evening/etc Hobby, etc (Such as an "Older" and/or Antique Vehicle, etc). Though through a bit of hard-work, etc it may work-out and/or something else. Either Way will potentially try a bit to make this Somewhat long term Consideration happen...etc, Thanks

Edited by SANDOW (see edit history)

1 hour ago, 1912Staver said:

Agree 100 %. My very wise father shared a gem of his powers of observation with me about a decade before his passing. About my 3 rd decade point in the hobby. " If you had of put even 50% of the effort you have put into your vintage car obsession into learning how to make and manage money, all your ambitions would have come true by now."

I did invest in a good , if costly education, and had a reasonably decent career until cost of living and family expenses  started to outstrip earning increases.

But I never did learn about investments and the power of compound interest, tax advantage pro's and cons on various income streams vs direct employment and all the rest that successful people know inside and out.

Really didn't pay too much attention except in a very general until retirement was upon me , and by then it was very late in the game.

Thanks for the comment. Younger Gentleman and/or Young Lady's (Even older individuals) do potentially have a bit to consider these days, DON'T THEY, LOL...Thanks

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Peter Gariepy said:

AACA has 25 regions in Florida. I'd be SHOCKED if there wasn't one close to you.

https://aaca.org/list-of-regions-chapters/

Also, AACA has a discounted membership for you.  https://aaca.org/about-membership/

Screen Shot 2022-03-23 at 9.08.53 AM.png

AACA has a chapter Currently Somewhat close, though how many of those members may have materials related to 1916 and/or earlier vehicles may be something to potentially consider. Though have somewhat considered joining as there seems to maybe be decent materials, perks, etc to joining. Thanks