Amelia Island?

alsancle

13 hours ago, alsancle said:

First picture is what most of the entrants typically bring onto the field. The second picture shows what Ed does.

4B60CB61-E329-440E-83F3-129B75C61B24.jpeg

FFB4226E-AC29-4FB2-B296-4DC4142AA9A7.jpeg

Does that mean others have more confidence in their cars ? 😜

Kidding aside, I heard there were significantly fewer cars present than listed in the program and some no-shows were (allegedly) specifically protesting the new owners management approach to the event.

I also  heard the previous main sponsorship was shining with their absent.

• Like 1

On 3/3/2022 at 12:33 PM, alsancle said:

8C454E4D-792D-4AD8-A810-8943115A8A2D.jpeg

The orange might be a little gaudy but it seems to work. This 1932 Twin Six has been in New Zealand for nearly 20 years but I don't know its 'colour history'. My poor quality photo taken last week. 

IMG_0651.JPG

• Like 2

8 hours ago, TTR said:

Kidding aside, I heard there were significantly fewer cars present than listed in the program and some no-shows were (allegedly) specifically protesting the new owners management approach to the event.

The only thing I can say first person is there was definitely less cars on the field.   I think there were as many spectators as ever.    I personally have no complaints about this years show.

Now, third person,  there was a lot of complaining going on.    I'm going hope that it is simply the first year hiccups with a new organization in charge.    Owners,  collections managers, volunteers, etc all had issues with what was going on.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, alsancle said:

F2A9EF3A-2DEA-4487-B4C4-AFD2B181F6CA.jpeg

CB2DE1D7-374F-4D65-B631-529649E4B7F5.jpeg

In my opinion, this was the greatest car at the show. Probably the last remaining unrestored Duesenberg J, and it's a supercharged SJ. Yep, it's scruffy, the engine is the wrong color, and someone reupholstered the rumble seat with the wrong stuff, but who cares? What a car!

• Like 9

9 hours ago, TTR said:

This was my first time at Amelia but it was a very high-quality show. Yes, there were a lot of things that didn't go as well as they should have (the QR codes for reading each car's history, the fact that I had to cough up almost $500 for tickets for my children because they wouldn't comp them, etc.) but the cars were quality and we didn't really have any problems with the show, the parking process, or getting the cars off the field. It all went pretty smoothly from a participant standpoint. It did seem a little small to me after seeing Pebble and other shows, but I had nothing to which I could compare it and the cars that were there were quite impressive, top to bottom. There wasn't a single car that made me ask, "Why is that car here?" Quality was excellent.

I'm calling it a success. The few hiccups were minor and I'm sure they'll make tweaks in coming years to fix the things that didn't go as well as many hoped they would. Sunburn aside, we had a great time.

• Like 4

3 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

In my opinion, this was the greatest car at the show. Probably the last remaining unrestored Duesenberg J, and it's a supercharged SJ. Yep, it's scruffy, the engine is the wrong color, and someone reupholstered the rumble seat with the wrong stuff, but who cares? What a car!

I have been offered an up close and personal with this auto as well as a ride or two. Timing has not been on my side, maybe one of these days sooner than later.

• Like 2

Two Duesenberg J/SJ almost black roadsters? I will need to go through the entire thread again (darn!) to make sure I have the two straight in my head. Headlamps? Chrome wheels, black wheels? Both have black walls. Tan top and black top (if it is up?)? 

Which one is the Packard body?

When I first saw that photo a couple days ago? I knew it wasn't, but it really reminded me of the Murphy bodied Duesenberg convertible coupe that Jack Passey had fifty years ago. I still think of that one as my all-time favorite model J!

• Like 1

The Walker LeGrande is from the Wallis Bird estate auction circa 1962.   I think they built 4.    The Murphy convertible coupe owned by Col North is awesome also,  as there a few factory supercharged cars, especially orignal ones.  

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I will give my impressions later today. There were 276 cars on the field, plus the new car trash...Porsche, Rolls, ect. Saturday was bigger than ever by gate count. Sunday’s show update and impressions later......

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I will give my impressions later today. There were 276 cars on the field, plus the new car trash...Porsche, Rolls, ect. Saturday was bigger than ever by gate count. Sunday’s show update and impressions later......

Love it! Think of all the therapists getting calls now from the offended. 

• Haha 1

17 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Car count

2020-310

2021-237   May show, covid year.

2022-276.  New owners, new people in most positions.

First hand counting of each entry on the field or ... ?

57 minutes ago, TTR said:

First hand counting of each entry on the field or ... ?

Published numbers on 2020 and 2021......and an actual count of cars on the field myself for 2022.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Google "Green Hornet" Duesenberg and you can get up to date history on the J with the  Packard body. Personally I like the appearance of the Packard bodied car, I've added it to the Phantom Car Collection I can't afford. 

0B7EB702-56EF-4B01-B7DA-74F3631C0730.jpeg.9a4c19d1c1eabdd9b16a9bbad4857957.jpeg

The Phantom Car Collection. I like that. Sounds like a really good thread  to me. I bet a lot of us would have some of the "usual players" but I am always interested in cars on people's lists that are a bit off the beaten path yet interesting cars at the same time.

Love it! Think of all the therapists getting calls now from the offended

For those of you who don't know, for my day job I am a therapist. Oddly, nobody brought this concern to my attention today.

Edited by ericmac
Clarification (see edit history)

1 hour ago, edinmass said:

Car count

2020-310

2021-237   May show, covid year.

2022-276.  New owners, new people in most positions.

In years past the cars go all the way around the pond.  It wasn't that way this year.   Perhaps an additional 30 or so cars would make that difference.

17 hours ago, Matt Harwood said:

I remember taking a close look at that car at the Hagley show in Delaware in 2011, and I was completely blown away by it.  Just fabulous.

• Like 1

I did the count by walking half the field in conjunction using the map supplied to park my car in its position. I could see being off by a few but not 60.  Up to my eyeballs busy this morning.  Will try and comment and add photos later today. 

I was there and judged.  Just a brief answer to some things here.  The car count was down by design.  There is not a shortage of people who would love to show their cars at Amelia.  As to seeing other cars, on Saturday there was a Radwood and a quirky "lemon" show as well.  Also they had a cars & coffee type event which was extremely well attended.  If you are a car guy or car gal there is something for everyone to see! 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

50 minutes ago, Steve Moskowitz said:

I was there and judged.  Just a brief answer to some things here.  The car count was down by design.  There is not a shortage of people who would love to show their cars at Amelia.  As to seeing other cars, on Saturday there was a Radwood and a quirky "lemon" show as well.  Also they had a cars & coffee type event which was extremely well attended.  If you are a car guy or car gal there is something for everyone to see! 

If it was by design, I would suggest they space them out a little more.   The crowds around the entrance side of the show are crushing and the cars are tightly spaced.

I'm hopeful that the show doesn't get screwed up.   I enjoy it.

• Like 1

Called the big guy and asked........215 invited, 211 on the field...........4 no show/problems.......PLUS the super cars and new cars stands............so it was about 250, the parking map showed 280 +/-............most of the adjustment was on the newer/race car stuff that I didn't get to walk by except about 30 percent of them.......There was much more "tent space" than ever before........some was VIP tents with great bars(so they tell me) and others were retail and lifestyle stands. Crowds seemed very large....maybe from less places to find shade or a quiet spot on the grass. From a spectator standpoint......which for me is very limited...........quality of cars was as good as it ever has been for CCCA stuff. Seemed light on early, brass, and nickel vehicles. Also maybe a bit less race cars and more of the 50',60's, and 70's special cars...............from showing a car standpoint........there were logistical hiccups .........nothing terrible, just stuff that gets under your skin. My biggest complaint.......The Ritz, which were terrible to deal with, and not worth 1/3 the cost.........I'm looking into a house rental on the beach.........with 7 bedrooms. It will still be half the price of the hotel...........more later.....

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 2

32 minutes ago, edinmass said:

I'm looking into a house rental on the beach.........with 7 bedrooms. It will still be half the price of the hotel...........more later.....

Bingo. Rented a condo on the beach about 6 miles up the road from the show. Cheaper than a hotel for six of us. Three bedrooms, kitchen, two bathrooms, three balconies, beach and pool access, and the view over the Atlantic was worth every penny in the morning:

395639622_2022-03-0606_16_06.jpg.8f22c4377316aa75432c3cfc5b69dad5.jpg

• Like 5

48 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

We can all chip in and buy more chain for the ancile bracelet. 

I resent that.......I have a spotless record.........17 arrests and not one conviction! There may be a few No-Lo’s.

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Im a fan of William Shakespeare..........

”First thing......let’s kill all the lawyers!”

• Like 4