What type of automotive work do you enjoy?

BobinVirginia

I will add, one thing I dislike about cars is cleaning. When I was a young man I had one car. I bought it brand new, paid for it with the money I worked hard to get and was very proud of it. I would spend hrs upon hrs cleaning, polishing waxing etc. It always looked better than new and could have rivaled anything on any show field. Now, I can barely stand to take a bucket and some soapy water and wash the dirt off. I have 2 work trucks, my wifes car and my 'hot rod' to take care of. Not to mention a half dozen motorcycles. They are all in need of some serious cleaning/detailing. I would much rather drive than shine. I hate to admit but the only time my trans am was cleaned last year was when I took it to shows. The first thing I do when I get there is wipe it down, and if it was really dirty some spray wax. I cant wait until my grandson is old enough to start doing cleaning chores!

• Like 3

I'm not good at anything regarding automotive repair, other than maybe diagnosis. The thing that would be most appealing to me (if I were good at it) would be painting, but that's among the most conspicuous showcases of ineptitude, so I generally avoid it. I recently painted the old steel wheels for one of my cars and it took me a long time to get a result that I would consider acceptable. "Acceptable" was ok because in the end, the wheels will have full covers on them 99% of the time. It's nice to have that experience, though, because it's a reminder that I'll be doing the right thing when I pay someone else paint the body.  😄

• Like 2

4 hours ago, TAKerry said:

I will add, one thing I dislike about cars is cleaning. When I was a young man I had one car. I bought it brand new, paid for it with the money I worked hard to get and was very proud of it. I would spend hrs upon hrs cleaning, polishing waxing etc. It always looked better than new and could have rivaled anything on any show field. Now, I can barely stand to take a bucket and some soapy water and wash the dirt off. I have 2 work trucks, my wifes car and my 'hot rod' to take care of. Not to mention a half dozen motorcycles. They are all in need of some serious cleaning/detailing. I would much rather drive than shine. I hate to admit but the only time my trans am was cleaned last year was when I took it to shows. The first thing I do when I get there is wipe it down, and if it was really dirty some spray wax. I cant wait until my grandson is old enough to start doing cleaning chores!

That is why they make automatic car washes.

I run my trucks through an automatic wash, but would never run my T/A, it would look like a rain forest inside!

I dont dislike cleaning, I just dont feel my time is well spent when doing so. I would rather do a quick wipe down and spend the rest of the time behind the wheel. I do like to have a clean car and will keep them washed year round. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Bill Boudway said:

Disassembling other's finds. Didn't have a nickle in them.

'67 Mustang, '40 Buick, '31 Model A Ford, '17 Locomobile, '19 Packard

I do not particularly like taking things apart, but putting back together is ok. I have found that sometimes it takes hrs to get one simple rusted fastener loose. 

• Like 1

I like to get ones running that have sat for years and everyone says. "That'll never run again." Then I like leaving them in their working cloths and watching the heads turn as it purrs like a kitten. And the older the better. Dandy Dave! 

• Like 5

On 3/3/2022 at 7:12 AM, TAKerry said:

I run my trucks through an automatic wash, but would never run my T/A, it would look like a rain forest inside!

I dont dislike cleaning, I just dont feel my time is well spent when doing so. I would rather do a quick wipe down and spend the rest of the time behind the wheel. I do like to have a clean car and will keep them washed year round. 

I'm with you. I never run my old cars through an automatic wash, and in fact rarely even wash them. They just don't have the seals that modern cars do. I keep my old cars out of inclement weather - even rain - mostly to protect from corrosion, but the added benefit is that I don't have to wash them that much. Original finishes don't like getting washed a lot, either.

The main issue I have is storage dust, so I use a clean damp microfiber to clean the dust off, then use a detailer type spray with another clean microfiber.

• Like 1

My father started me with a 19?? model t made into a tractor. He handed me a Dykes and said read the Ford model t section know it by heart. Then go out and get it running. Then he said when you get it running teach yourself how to drive it. When you can do that we will start restoring a nice original 1923 touring. That was my beginning into the restoration hobby.

I was 14 at the time, now 77 and have restored more cars that I can remember. I enjoy all the work required to restore a car. However I no longer paint do to eye sight. Love machine work have a great Tree milling machine, a very large Harrison English lathe and plus a very complete machine shop and tools. Today is nearly impossible to hire out good work so you do it your self. Love engine work and fine fit and finish work. Cars from 1904 to 1941. love them all.

brasscarguy

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Did anyone post that they understand and enjoy rewiring a car? 

You need a car rewired Bob? I actually like doing it on early cars and it is an area that I am good at doing and understand the principals. You may not like paying $75 an hour cash, plus materials, to get it done on days that I feel well enough to do it though.  And don't ask me to do any that are post war. No thanks. To hard to get under a low dash these days. Dandy Dave! 

Edited by Dandy Dave (see edit history)
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

On 3/4/2022 at 9:53 PM, Ed Luddy said:

After 43+ years of working on old cars, not much.  Untaping, cleaning, and putting the trim back on a freshly painted car is the best I can come up with!

Sounds like you've run out of that enthusiasm that young folks run in with. I remember those days of how I felt 50 plus years ago. Dandy Dave!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, brasscarguy said:

My father started me with a 19?? model t made into a tractor. He handed me a Dykes and said read the Ford model t section know it by heart. Then go out and get it running. Then he said when you get it running teach yourself how to drive it. When you can do that we will start restoring a nice original 1923 touring. That was my beginning into the restoration hobby.

I was 14 at the time, now 77 and have restored more cars that I can remember. I enjoy all the work required to restore a car. However I no longer paint do to eye sight. Love machine work have a great Tree milling machine, a very large Harrison English lathe and plus a very complete machine shop and tools. Today is nearly impossible to hire out good work so you do it your self. Love engine work and fine fit and finish work. Cars from 1904 to 1941. love them all.

brasscarguy

Exactly why I have my own machine shop. A lot of early odd stuff you just have to do yourself. Dandy Dave.  

• Like 1

I enjoy most all of the things I do to my cars. It's the things my cars do to ME that I don't enjoy...

Like today, I worked on getting the voltage regulator cover back on my Chrysler (2 little screws) and it took me almost 2 hours.

Couldn't get the d*** things to thread. Plus, I dropped  one screw and had to go into the attic to "borrow" one from another regulator. Then I found the one I dropped, on and on and on.....

My daughter heard me in the garage using some choice words and she says to me: "Why do you work on these cars if they get you so aggravated?"

That's a good question. I suppose, like all of us, I am a glutton for punishment.....

And now I found out the fuel line from the fuel pump is leaking (that's for another day)

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Doing it everyday I enjoy engine work best. And suspension and brake work. Anything else is ehh but I really enjoy it all just some more than others. To me anything electrical or diagnostic is boring as heck. I’m good at diagnosis but it’s boring I want to fix it I could care less about diagnosis lol. I want to use tools. But I diagnose and do the proper repair that’s what you have to do. Nothing is worse than dash work though that’s what makes me swear 😂