'41 Buick Super Coupe 56S, $15,900

This car looks like it has a lot of potential, although the write up is so limited now that we are given no details about mechanical condition beyond what the photos show.  Offered by a consignment dealer who has some obvious inaccuracies on it site (like V8 instead of straight 8), but the car is certainly worth a look for anyone in the area.

1941 Buick Super 56S

- Two Tone Paint
- 248ci Twin Carb V8
- Three on the Tree
- Original Example
- Mechanically Maintained by Steve's Antiques

Just in...full write up coming soon.

https://www.garagekeptmotors.com/vehicles/2027/1941-buick-super-56s

56s1.jpg.c6db0c3174cb03d78f20652b1f61e497.jpg

56s2.jpg.ae9f6dabf763ec688298a182cff00e25.jpg

56s3.jpg.4d5e93e9631e0543bd923f40ee594ec5.jpg

56s4.jpg.99e6942900328c98f9151dd38f37d683.jpg

• Like 3

Some dealers might try to squeeze a little more money out of it, but maybe I have too low an expectation of some dealers.

Needs front seat fabric, looks like a water stain at the back window, dash should be wood grained where it's not machine-turned, etc.

Pretty car, though.

I agree with Greg, Suchan, and Auburn on the price.  I think it just seems low because we are so used to people asking way too much.  This seems like a reasonable price given the defects that have been mentioned.  Also, as I said earlier, we have no idea at this point about what kind of mechanical condition it's in.  But yes, it sure looks pretty and has potential for sure.  Those correct red wheels with pinstriping, correct beauty rings, and hubcaps really help.

Welding the rear fenders to the body seems like an odd choice and a bad idea given the tendency of the body to flex over time.  Has anyone ever seen that before?

Edited by neil morse (see edit history)
  • Like 2

I like the colors as well. It does looks like there are several cosmetic fixes to be made. The big question is how are the mechanicals. Looks like a good starting point for a negotiation.

• Like 1

I look at that undercarriage directly beneath the engine and looks like rust, silt, grease and oil.  Under the hood doesn't look good either.  It's 2 tone paint is what will sells this car.  It most likely has more issues that we may not be seeing.

At first glance this looked cool and the price was decent.  Now that I have had time to look at these pictures I am not so sure about this car.  Whoever buys it better inspect that in person!!!

Edited by deac (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I have seen people just leave the fenders bolted on and add Bondo over the seam. It doesn't take long for the whole thing to shake apart, leaving a big mess. Unless I was shown photos that documented a decent job of eliminating the rust that precipitated this repair, I would pass on this at any price.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Jim Skelly said:

Dad told me years ago that the fenders would be welded to the body once rust perforation started in that area.  The correct repair is new metal and new welting between the fenders and body.  I've seen fenders welded many times over the decades.

I noticed the Michigan plate on the car. I think that you may be right. Depending how you treated your car 20 years of Michigan salt could be pretty rough on a car. 

The one thing that everyone seems to agree on and like a lot are the colors. Why? Because they are very close to what would have been offered when new and compliment the styling of the era. They are not modern colors on an 80+ year old car. It "pops" visually as it sits and makes all of us think - yeah that's how they should look................ May be some other cars of assorted makes on here that do not have the body issues mentioned that this one does BUT are painted circus colors and thus just turn a lot of people off.

• Like 5

2 minutes ago, Walt G said:

The one thing that everyone seems to agree on and like a lot are the colors. Why? Because they are very close to what would have been offered when new and compliment the styling of the era. They are not modern colors on an 80+ year old car. It "pops" visually as it sits and makes all of us think - yeah that's how they should look................ May be some other cars of assorted makes on here that do not have the body issues mentioned that this one does BUT are painted circus colors and thus just turn a lot of people off.

Walt, you beat me to the punch, as I was just about to share similar thoughts per avoidance of modern splashy color choices.

Marty

All great minds (!) think alike. 🙂 AND also own the same type of cars with the same body styles too ( for those of you who don't know, Marty and I both own pre WWII Buick Roadmaster convertible sedans and also 1930 Packard 7 pass touring cars ) 👍

Walt

• Haha 1

I agree the colors are very sharp.  I'm curious, would this pattern on the hood have been done originally by Buick or is this a later personal change?

Neil, thanks for the additional information , that puts the "icing on the cake". It gives a wide audience of viewers more information  to really appreciate how beautiful and sleek these cars really were and still are.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

Stream board?

1940 was the last year for running board on a Buick and that was on the Special and Century. The stream board was introduced in 1940 for the Super and Roadmaster replacing the running board. 

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, Hudsy Wudsy said:

I had no idea they had a special name for it.

"Streamboards" came about in 1940 as part of the new torpedo body style and the streamlining effect that GM was shooting for this year and going forward. It is referenced in the standard catalog of Buick 1903-2004.

On 11/7/2021 at 3:41 PM, GregLaR said:

I agree the colors are very sharp.  I'm curious, would this pattern on the hood have been done originally by Buick or is this a later personal change?

As it appeared in the 1940 brochure. Super on left and Special on right.  

IMG_1549 (2).jpg

Edited by kingrudy
Clarity (see edit history)
  • Like 1

On 11/8/2021 at 4:29 PM, kingrudy said:

1940 was the last year for running board on a Buick and that was on the Special and Century. The stream board was introduced in 1940 for the Super and Roadmaster replacing the running board. 

They were called 'streamboards' when offered in 1939&1940 as a no cost option to be bolted on those cars with running boards as a 'modern' look on those cars. The integral rocker panels were introduced on the New for 1940 'C' Bodied cars, for telling what was to follow. I think the nomenclature in Buick factory parts manuals may make reference to for instance stream board trim, referring to rocker moulding stainless trim. Pretty good guess would be Journalism majors decided the names for parts that many times aren't recognizable to folks who repair or repaired these Buick cars. 

• Like 1