Need help figuring out this grill

tonycisar

I have a friend that brought me this front grill piece and asked me to put together some furniture with it. Problem is that I need to buy some trim pieces to add to it.  Can anybody take look at this front end and tell me what vehicle it belongs to.  I'm a 60's muscle car guy not a hot rod guy.  Any help is appreciated.

ford.jpg

38 minutes ago, trini said:

Looks like a grille from a 36 to 37 Plymouth pickup.  Yes , Plymouth made a pickup, I think one year only. ( stands to correction )I saw one for sale in Barry, Ontario about 40 years ago. 

1937-41 if memory serves me correct.

4 hours ago, greenie said:

Green egg, not a grill, or grille.

Which one is this?

scrap-car-bbq66.jpg

I also think it is a 1936 Chevrolet in the original post. The headlight buckets are set up for sealed beam, and the front flanges do not look like a removable conversion kit. They are probably the wrong headlight buckets.

Edited by Bloo (see edit history)
  • Like 1

It's 37 Plymouth.  Can't be sure from pic but I think it's passenger - pickup is similar but not the same.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR2JNvxLw6ZxEuXbEy_Gti

The OP grill is missing center strip which is stainless (I think - maybe chrome) - the recessed center of the strip is painted body color, leaving the raised edges bright.  The ship ornament and winged shield are separate chrome diecast pieces at the top of the strip.

1 hour ago, pont35cpe said:

The pickup grill.. gets my vote.

Agree.  And I like the 37 Plymouth version better that the 38, which is shorter and wider, and better than the Dodge versions which are too "busy" with all the extra bars.

6 minutes ago, Bloo said:

I think you have nailed it. You can even see the support member that matches the original post, just below headlight level.

Yeah, I thought it was passenger at first but the more I look, I think it's truck.  Both are rare but truck is more so.  It's pretty rough but still might be restorable.  Just the stainless perimeter trim is unobtanium and worth some bucks.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

Better pic - this is a hot rod but grill is stock except center strip is not painted:

4091208-50764-1937-plymouth-coupe.jpg

This is truck - narrower and not as tapered:

1937-plymouth-pickup

I failed to mention the dark rectangle at the bottom center of both grills is the crank hole.  Both are missing the cover which is chrome diecast that just snaps into the hole with a u-shaped spring steel clip.  They frequently were lost and replacements are hard to find

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Bloo said:

Which one is this?

scrap-car-bbq66.jpg

I also think it is a 1936 Chevrolet in the original post. The headlight buckets are set up for sealed beam, and the front flanges do not look like a removable conversion kit. They are probably the wrong headlight buckets.

Bloo, I think this is a Ford not a 36 Chevy! 

• Haha 1

2 hours ago, CHuDWah said:

Yeah, I thought it was passenger at first but the more I look, I think it's truck.  Both are rare but truck is more so.  It's pretty rough but still might be restorable.  Just the stainless perimeter trim is unobtanium and worth some bucks.

There is a center strip on eBay for $750.00, seams pricy for a Ford guy. 

Bob 

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

There is a center strip on eBay for $750.00, seams pricy for a Ford guy. 

Bob 

Yup, like I said...unobtanium.  Basic supply and demand.  You can call up Drake and get a shiny new reproduction late-30s Ford center strip for $400 or less (assuming it isn't one of his perpetually "out of stock" items :rolleyes:).  But there's lots more Fords than MoPars still around for parts and there's lots more being restored so more parts for them are being reproduced.  If you think that center strip is pricey, check out this baby for only $1,250:

s-l1600.jpg.44caebafe22f942c61f6942fe0696424.jpg

CRANK HOLE COVER 655295 1936 1937 DODGE CAR & TRUCK VINTAGE FRONT GRILL CENTER

• Like 1