Headroom in 1925 Packard 6 Runabout?

Rob Rose

1 hour ago, 34LaSalleClubSedan said:

Another fellow on Packard facebook is making the same claim. Are you the real owner?

I saw the FB post, which is sharing Mr. Rose's FB post asking the same question.  So same person. On the otjer hand, if there's a rush of many people wondering about if they can fit into 1925 Packards, that sounds like a good problem to have! :)

• Thanks 1

I think the problem could be whether there's sufficient legroom rather than headroom. Could always put the top down on a roadster. More difficult to squeeze legs under the steering wheel and operate pedals comfortably if you're tall. Don't know whether there's any seat adjustment in that model car.

Edited by Ozstatman
spelling (see edit history)

I’m not tall but the most awkward thing I find is that all the cars were designed for people with much smaller feet than me 

also for reasons unknown, Cadillac fitted comfortable seats everywhere but the drivers seat which is bolt upright 

Very few roadsters, even in the highest dollar cars, had adjustable seats in 1925. OP says he is short legged but long torso, so legroom may be okay. Years ago, at my six foot even, I was often the taller person around. I don't know what happened. Now I seem to have gotten awfully short, even though I still measure a perfect six foot.

h-h snuck in with his feet thing. What I do not understand is I have to buy 10 1/2 or 11 size modern shoes, in spite of the fact I used to wear 9 1/2 shoes. The funny thing is, I still have a bunch of dress 9 1/2 shoes that I have had for more than forty years. The really funny thing is, that they still fit and feel just fine! (I wore a pair all day for the last past funeral I had to attend!) I think it is the world that has gone crazy.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Rob Rose said:

I just bought this car at auction. I am 6 ft 5 with 32" inseam, so long back.  Will I fit? I have a Ford Tudor that I fit in, and a 2004 911 Targa.  I drove an MG Midget in high school, 50 pounds ago. :)

B859ABA6-660C-4E61-9EC4-33470CE3BFC3.jpeg

Congratulations!  That Packard looks like it will bring a lot of enjoyment to you.  Stay alive for a long time, we typically shrink about an inch every decade after age 40.  You'll eventually fit like a glove into it.   

-from a fellow lover of Classic Packards who also has a midget.

John

Not trying to sound like an......well you know what,  But dont you think that maybe you should have tried the car out before buying as opposed to asking how many thousands of people that you dont know and they dont know you if they think that you will fit into a car?  Sounds a bit ridiculous to me.  If youre trying to tell us you just bought a Packard, then just say so and congrats. Otherwise go sit in the car and see if you fit!!

• Thanks 2

12 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Not trying to sound like an......well you know what,  But dont you think that maybe you should have tried the car out before buying as opposed to asking how many thousands of people that you dont know and they dont know you if they think that you will fit into a car?  Sounds a bit ridiculous to me.  If youre trying to tell us you just bought a Packard, then just say so and congrats. Otherwise go sit in the car and see if you fit!!

Come on now, you’re expecting people to use common sense and logic instead of interweb forums for serious questions they have. What on earth are you thinking ? 🙄

Edited by TTR (see edit history)
  • Like 1

The chassis is 126 inches, according to a friend who owns a similar car...........my rule of thumb for people six feet tall is 137 is a very tight fit regardless of marque. Depending on how your built, maybe....... but only with the top down to get in and out. Even removing padding in the seat.......it’s going to be very difficult on that chassis length. 

Edited by edinmass (see edit history)
  • Like 1

21 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Hi TaKerry,  If that was a possibility I would have done that.  It wasn't. Not knowing people who may read my questions in a forum and be helpful isn't really relative. I don't need to know someone to value their knowledge. The ridiculous part is you taking time to  a). tell me my methods are wrong and b). assuming I was bragging 'to strangers". I was able to get good help from people who are tall and have this car which was a great help, unlike your response.    

Edited by Rob Rose (see edit history)
  • Like 1

23 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

I saw the FB post, which is sharing Mr. Rose's FB post asking the same question.  So same person. On the otjer hand, if there's a rush of many people wondering about if they can fit into 1925 Packards, that sounds like a good problem to have! :)

Yes, that is probably be on facebook. Same name.  Same car.

• Like 2

21 hours ago, John Bloom said:

Congratulations!  That Packard looks like it will bring a lot of enjoyment to you.  Stay alive for a long time, we typically shrink about an inch every decade after age 40.  You'll eventually fit like a glove into it.   

-from a fellow lover of Classic Packards who also has a midget.

John

hi John!  I see you Have a 66 Benley. I have a 68 CB350. The 68 midget was like sitting on the road.  Loved that car.

• Like 1

Seems a bit late to worry about "will I fit"in a car you bought at auction and never slid into..

Thank god your not a "I always wanted a Model A open car....guy and bought one of those.LOL

You'll be  snug,but will manage. You will  be a bit a hunched over to see under the top of the windshield frame ,especially if the seat cushions have been too well padded during restoration..

Re-doing the seat and back, if well planed can help gain a a few inches.

It's done often.

• Haha 1

Working on my 1915 model T runabout for a few years whenever I can scrape out a little time. About two years ago I made and installed the upholstery myself. As much as I am trying to make the car as 1915 correct as I can? I did leave the seat back cushion's springs out. It looks fine, and I got a couple extra inches legroom. I have sat in it a few times, the padding alone seems plenty comfortable.

• Like 1