Hershey 2021...Any new eateries in the area?

58TPCruiser

I don’t live near the area, but I did check out a few of the places that we have frequented over the years; the only one on that list that says it was closed “permanently” was Duke’s at the east end of town.    But I just looked it up again, and it says they are open?  Go figure.   All the others we go to seem to be up and running (Fenicci’s, Funck’s, Primanti Brothers, A&M Pizza; we’re maybe going to try A Taste Of Sicily in Palmyra).

Maybe someone in the area can clarify the situation regarding Duke’s…

549285E0-83B1-4BC0-A78F-32D41F7AE9EB.jpeg

7DE35F95-E63E-42C2-B179-BAC8FC7863BC.jpeg

• 2 weeks later...

OK, the vast majority of the restaurants in the Hershey area are in fact open.  There is a beautiful new place called the Englewood.  There is a new Indian restuarant called Bollywood.  Several places have been remodeled.  Most eateries seem to be impacted by staffing so be patient with service and servers!

There are all sorts of smaller fast food places open with a new Chipolte in the old K-Mart area which also house a Chinese, Japanese, Panera and hamburger joint.

All the other major places are here and the only one closed is Dukes in Hershey which has a SOLD sign on it now and Union Canal House.  Consider locally owned Dafnos for Greek and Italian and a great Italian place in Palmyra, Lazzaro's for Italian.

You will not starve in Hershey!  Besides, there is always chocolate...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

• 4 weeks later...
15 hours ago, TAKerry said:

Couple of good places a bit to the east in Lancaster.

Yes, but be prepared for long wait times at some of them.  Combination of staffing issues and that many fast food places are take out only. Taco Bell here in Lititz opened a couple of weeks ago but only for take out as no staff to man the dining room.  The Lititz Burger King is the same right now, take out only.

If the crab cake vendor is there (almost across the aisle form me), I won't need much else except the occasional pizza!

Of course we're joining some friends for our annual Fenicci's dinner during the week too.

Terry

On Wednesday nights we used to walk up E Derry st. past the park pub (sometimes not straight past) to the American Legion hall. The food was fine but we always really enjoyed the atmosphere. There were plenty of car people from all over but it was always refreshing to rub elbows with some of the locals too.  I've always been amazed at how friendly PA folks are and receptive to the strange old car people that come to their town and clog up their streets for a week each year! 

8 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

If the crab cake vendor is there (almost across the aisle form me), I won't need much else except the occasional pizza!

Of course we're joining some friends for our annual Fenicci's dinner during the week too.

Terry

Based on Sherri's Crab Cake's Facebook page, they have had a VERY BUSY spring, summer & fall this year (including Spring & Fall Carlisle). I think it is probably very safe to believe they will be at Fall Hershey. I look forward to having their sandwiches at Fall Hershey probably for brunch like I usually do. That is one way to avoid the long lunch lines.

22 hours ago, Terry Bond said:

Terry

Living at the top of the bay, I try to avoid Crabcakes from unkown sources. A real crab cake has lump meat, a very small amount of binder and nothing else. Theres a few local places that make good ones but they arent cheap! You dont know what youre missing until you have had a real one! 

When I lived in Baltimore we feasted on them regularly!  Still some favorite places there.  Enjoyed them again this year while on the Eastern Divisional Tour in the Cambridge Md area, and just a couple of weekends ago with a special event hosted by Chesapeake Region -a real crab pickin on a boat ride!   We have a couple of places here in the Norfolk area too that are favorites.  My search is still on for the world's best crab cake.  Still evaluating them and keep going back to old favorites to check them again.  I may never declare a winner but it's fun trying.  At Hershey, combining the taste of them along with the smell of rusting metal, makes them even better.

Terry

• Like 2

Terry, there is a place in Bel Air MD that is a pizza joint of all places. Def the best crab cakes around. My brother gets a case and takes them back to Canada everytime he comes to the states.  One local seafood rest. used to have really good ones but they upped the fillers and downgraded the meat, now they are so-so. We splurged last weekend and I got a pound of 'special lump' on my way home from work and we had cakes for dinner.  Jumbo lump makes the best ones but its currently running close to $50 a lb.

It's not new but the Lancaster Brewery in East Harrisburg has some pretty good food. problem is the wait for a table, mostly locals which is a good sign. The meat loaf is real good and the appetizer to get are the rueben eggrolls. 

There was an Italian place we found a few years ago and I can't remember name of it on the west side of town, the bar made great cocktails, maybe that is the reason why I can't remember the name of the place

• Haha 1

When coming and going from the Elizabethtown KOA, one of our favorite breakfast and dinner stops has always been the Country Meadows Restaurant on 241. BUT I am no longer seeing one something on their menu that I always look for that I can never get at home, beef calves liver smothered in onion gravy. I managed to find it at the Hershey Bistro on Hershey Rd so will definitely give it a try.

• Like 1