1953 Pontiac Chieftain project

I’ve worked on and built motorcycles for a long time but this is my first car project. I’m really excited about it and I’m sure I will have a lot of questions along the way. My plan is to hopefully get it running and driving for now. I’d like to eventually do a full restoration of it once I have more room to do so. I started looking into the motor and about half of the valves were bent or broken. I got them all removed.

E5B44FF2-CEB2-43F2-A23C-DC395B411AB9.jpeg

7D65CCA4-0FC1-46D4-9BBA-A72EC5217E0E.jpeg

FCE4AC93-E1D3-4969-8945-A0D1264AC7C9.jpeg

C41FBAA9-A889-4D03-A306-A3C8FDAB3C6D.jpeg

• Like 2

Not to be negative or rain on your parade..... but, having owned two of these 53 Pontiacs, in my opinion you have acquired a car better suited for parting out than to fix up. You will find that it will be very costly, very time consuming and very frustrating to try to restore something in this condition. There are still plenty of these old straight eight Pontiacs available and IMO you would be better off starting out with a better restoration candidate than this one. You might want to consider finding another 1953 Pontiac and using this one for parts. 

• Like 1

Guess it depends on how much money, time and patience you have. I didn't have to do any work to my engine or trans but had to replace the brake, fuel and suspension systems. I got lucky. Still, it's always neat to see if you can get something running and moving. Best of luck!

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

45 minutes ago, MyhreMade said:

this is my first car project. I’m really excited about it

You are very fortunate to be able to be excited about anything that keeps you happy or motivated, (no matter what you work on or do). I have no doubt that you will find the means to at least get it to run,...and then move! 

I need to read more about positivity/upbeat postings at my age, as I need to get going again on 2 prewar project cars at some point.

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, The 55er said:

Not to be negative or rain on your parade..... but, having owned two of these 53 Pontiacs, in my opinion you have acquired a car better suited for parting out than to fix up. You will find that it will be very costly, very time consuming and very frustrating to try to restore something in this condition. There are still plenty of these old straight eight Pontiacs available and IMO you would be better off starting out with a better restoration candidate than this one. You might want to consider finding another 1953 Pontiac and using this one for parts. 

Thanks for the insight The 55er. It’s good to hear someone’s experience who has actually owned one of these. It would be easier to start with one in better shape. Other than the motor issue the body isn’t terrible. Needs some work but I’ve done body work before. 

I’ve always wanted a classic car but circumstances never worked out to own one at the time. My wife bought this for me for my upcoming 40th. This is going to be a long term project so I’m not afraid to do the work and learn as I go. A lot of people have said to just pull the motor and swap with an LS or something else which would definitely be easier but to me having the old original engine is part of what makes it cool. I guess it’s a personal preference of mine but I like old stuff and keeping them original. 

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

You mentioned a Powerglide. assuming it is a USA-built Pontiac, that is a bit of a rarity. Pontiac used Powerglides for a few months due to a massive fire at the Hydra-Matic factory. I don't know if it makes it any more desirable, probably not as I suspect the Hydra-Matic would be a better driving experience. Nevertheless, it's uncommon. I can't remember ever seeing one.

hi, i have owned my 1953 Chieftain Custom Catalina for 48 years, since 1973 when i was 17, Terrill machine shop in texas should have all the hard parts you need for the 268 straight eight, and at decent fair prices too. i think you're already a member in my facebook group, the pontiac chieftain club. 

Charles L. Coker

1953 & 1954 Pontiac

Technical Advisor

Pontiac Oakland Club International.

You can do much of the work it needs if you 1) have the continuing enthusiasm 2) the knowledge of how to repair /rebuild what you  have 3) THE TIME and PATIENCE .

Biggest challenge will be what you can't do - replating of parts, perhaps upholstery.

The "nay sayers" here are not trying to be totally negative, just realistic.

Wishing you all the best on a real "project".

Edited by Walt G (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Thanks everyone for the great tips and advise. I realize this is a pretty big long term project which is kind of what I was looking for. I enjoy working on and tinkering with things. 

I’m not looking forward to the replating of the chrome but that is at the very bottom of the list and can be done when the funds are available. 

I do upholstery and leather work on the side so I’m excited to redo all of the interior when I get to that point. 

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Mike "Hubbie" Stearns said:

No to get off the subject, but what kind of leather work do you do. Mike

I do a little bit of everything from knife sheaths, wallets, keychains, motorcycle related stuff, horse tack (usually fixing my wife’s stuff). I do leather tooling and laser engraving also. You can see some of my stuff on Instagram or Etsy under MyhreMade.

• Like 1

looks like a project I started with. I'm in the same mindset. like to work on stuff... beer and patience will reward you with a nice car in the end.. I  have eight years in mine so far...... (a 53 4 door also).... in the end, the best part is being able to tell all 'I fixed it myself'.... good luck, lots of knowledge right here.. just ask !!!! John 

• Like 1

On 8/21/2021 at 5:45 PM, john hess said:

looks like a project I started with. I'm in the same mindset. like to work on stuff... beer and patience will reward you with a nice car in the end.. I  have eight years in mine so far...... (a 53 4 door also).... in the end, the best part is being able to tell all 'I fixed it myself'.... good luck, lots of knowledge right here.. just ask !!!! John 

Thanks for the offer John. I’m sure I will be taking you up on asking some questions. I have been following your build and it will definitely be helpful the deeper I get into this project. 

• 5 months later...

Been slowly working on the car. I finally got the broken valve guide out and replaced. Took three tries. I tried a couple different tool in a pneumatic air hammer. Broke a couple trying to drive them in. Have all new valves I’m gonna lap in. Long way to go but slowly making some progress. 

96A33CB0-B5AD-4920-9753-66D9DA79437D.jpeg

BB9F880A-CE76-4838-9821-2418404940F3.jpeg

91B46EA6-3303-4454-B6B6-F9AFDDF218CC.jpeg

6B4ADFF6-3C7E-49DC-A354-C379C17E2240.jpeg

7C1EC3A9-2ECA-4A6E-A0FF-1C332F28D37B.jpeg

• Like 4

Nice, fun, project you've got here. I'll be following along as well.  We got a '48 last year.  Slow progress so far. I've been getting a few missing cosmetic items and got the motor unstuck, but haven't done full rotations yet. Hopefully it's a bit less messy under the head. 

How's your head gasket?  Think you'll be able to reuse it? I assume it's a thick, solid copper gasket? 

Here's a fun vid of a guy reviving a stuck Pontiac inline if you haven't seen it:
Traded a snowmobile for an abandoned 1949 Pontiac with a stuck motor will it start? - Halfass Kustoms

Edited by pvfjr (see edit history)

On 2/2/2022 at 7:26 PM, pvfjr said:

Nice, fun, project you've got here. I'll be following along as well.  We got a '48 last year.  Slow progress so far. I've been getting a few missing cosmetic items and got the motor unstuck, but haven't done full rotations yet. Hopefully it's a bit less messy under the head. 

How's your head gasket?  Think you'll be able to reuse it? I assume it's a thick, solid copper gasket? 

Here's a fun vid of a guy reviving a stuck Pontiac inline if you haven't seen it:
Traded a snowmobile for an abandoned 1949 Pontiac with a stuck motor will it start? - Halfass Kustoms

The head gasket looks kinda rough so I probably won’t be reusing it. I’ll use a new one. I have seen that video you posted. It was pretty helpful to watch. Gave me hope for mine.

1 hour ago, DonMicheletti said:

Since the top end looked so bad, you ought to drop the pan and check things out. Pretty cheap insurance.

Funny that you mentioned that. That’s what I just did today. I had dropped a lifter bolt into the oil pan when I was working on the valves. I had planned to take the pan off anyways to see what I was dealing with. This wasn’t what I was expecting. I figured it would be full of sludge like other peoples but it was super clean. Someone must have had this off in the recent past. I was surprised when some of the bolts were pretty easy to get off. 22C428F2-AEDC-4F74-868C-A843E1034362.jpg.5bf49676603502bc080353ad1f09e06f.jpg6364CB11-E09F-466D-8741-8CD6E3D050EB.jpg.c32fce271bfc527838ca6ffdad8a7a50.jpgB028739D-2DF1-47B7-8AA9-05C773A432EA.jpg.bef73b4aa2b89bbe0c0bd911282edec6.jpgCBBDAD23-CA7F-4243-A24E-FFD976E2F31E.jpg.52a4818ad6aa687c6f24fb323a9becc6.jpgE4A8BDF8-A792-47DF-B6A4-ED1CFDC28780.jpg.049d968da3652146b457b7cb56dfbe9c.jpg

• Like 3

Nothing wrong with just "fixing up" an old car. Get it running, address safety stuff like brakes, steering, and wiring. Clean it up, patch up the upholstery and get it back on the road. No need to commit to a full restoration. Keep at it. I'll try to take my own advice and get back on my projects. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Rivguy said:

Nothing wrong with just "fixing up" an old car. Get it running, address safety stuff like brakes, steering, and wiring. Clean it up, patch up the upholstery and get it back on the road. No need to commit to a full restoration. Keep at it. I'll try to take my own advice and get back on my projects. 

Yeah that’s kind of my plan right now. I’d like to get it running and driving and keep working on it as I go. Kind of hard though to not want to clean and paint everything since I have it apart. My plan is to build a pole building within the next couple of years hopefully where I can have more room to do a full restoration of it. Probably have the motor rebuilt at that point.

• 2 weeks later...
On 2/6/2022 at 5:19 PM, MyhreMade said:

"Kind of hard though to not want to clean and paint everything since I have it apart."

Funny you should say that. When I started my project, all I wanted was it to be mechanically sound and running. It was only then when I had everything removed from the engine, I stared at a bare block and said, "I'll kick myself if I don't get out the degreaser out and slap some paint on it!" I had no intention to do what is now a motor you can eat off of. All hand painted (spraying wasn't an option), my mechanic asked if I "had pulled the engine" to do so. I also cleaned up the decades of hardened mud on the chassis and steering components and painted the bay. The Hirsch paint is holding up excellently with no regrets!

IMG_6783.JPG.7d49dc0e0d3a489868df7cc96d8ef42f.JPG

IMG_6784.JPG.506ccf66a920721f837c9a2fe10532b5.JPG

IMG_6782.JPG.e48fdb5feab06b3e5a7222a91e698b4f.JPG

IMG_6785.JPG.0a455c8e85813016bd0369e4f822a9d7.JPG

• Like 3
  • Haha 1

8 hours ago, Summershandy said:

"Kind of hard though to not want to clean and paint everything since I have it apart."

Funny you should say that. When I started my project, all I wanted was it to be mechanically sound and running. It was only then when I had everything removed from the engine, I stared at a bare block and said, "I'll kick myself if I don't get out the degreaser out and slap some paint on it!" I had no intention to do what is now a motor you can eat off of. All hand painted (spraying wasn't an option), my mechanic asked if I "had pulled the engine" to do so. I also cleaned up the decades of hardened mud on the chassis and steering components and painted the bay. The Hirsch paint is holding up excellently with no regrets!

IMG_6783.JPG.7d49dc0e0d3a489868df7cc96d8ef42f.JPG

IMG_6784.JPG.506ccf66a920721f837c9a2fe10532b5.JPG

IMG_6782.JPG.e48fdb5feab06b3e5a7222a91e698b4f.JPG

IMG_6785.JPG.0a455c8e85813016bd0369e4f822a9d7.JPG

Darn it Summershandy now I want to paint my motor. That looks great! I’ve been trying to decide if I should do it or not. I have some of the Hirsch paint already. Just need to finish up cleaning the motor.

17 hours ago, MyhreMade said:

Darn it Summershandy now I want to paint my motor. That looks great! I’ve been trying to decide if I should do it or not. I have some of the Hirsch paint already. Just need to finish up cleaning the motor.

I posted to give you some motivation but you should focus on the mechanical and operation first. You don't want to tow it to show it, you want to drive it. Good luck! 

45 minutes ago, Summershandy said:

I posted to give you some motivation but you should focus on the mechanical and operation first. You don't want to tow it to show it, you want to drive it. Good luck! 

Haha. Very true. I’m gonna work on getting it running and clean things up as I go. I appreciate the motivation. Pretty cool to see you did all of that with the motor still in the car.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Wow….I feel like this entire post is like deja vu for me!!  I started a 53 chieftain in Oct of 2019, and everything you have shared has been my journey!  So much to say, but I will start with this.  I too was concerned about my motor, bent valves, blown piston, etc. but all was close to spec and it runs great.  Here are a few pics. 

ps: I am in MN too!!

E3AD68F6-B29A-4217-966D-B30689BBDD51.jpeg

61E89F39-33A1-4664-B97B-D7A7E04D7663.jpeg

F8879691-111B-41FB-BF0F-3B84E8A87E5C.jpeg

• Like 2