1953 Pontiac Chieftain project

20 hours ago, MyhreMade said:

I was repainting my radiator before putting it back in the car and noticed two cracks in the top. Is this an area it can leak from? What would be the best way to fix it? Brazing?

E531323C-DE11-43D1-BC0D-4E2B5693F890.jpeg

BAF4BD90-74FA-4FEF-AEEE-D555F3993621.jpeg

Makes sense to solder, etc. however make sure the radiator is worth fixing before you invest too much time energy and or money!  

3 hours ago, MyhreMade said:

Is there a good way to go about testing the radiator?

I used a local radiator shop to acid flush, pressure and flow test.  They found a rag in the damn thing (like everyone does with stuffing a rag in the top inlet)!!

It was worth the $100 bucks…

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

Now that I got the car running I’m trying to figure out why the key switch doesn’t crank the engine. When I turn the key I get power to the headlights and the radio. My gauges move also.  When I turn the key to try and start it nothing happens. I can see the gauges go down like there is a power draw but it does nothing with the starter. Anyone have ideas where to start. I looked over the wiring and fixed any obvious bad connections. I also replaced all the fuses. Wondering if there is maybe something obvious I’m missing?

7 hours ago, MyhreMade said:

Now that I got the car running I’m trying to figure out why the key switch doesn’t crank the engine. When I turn the key I get power to the headlights and the radio. My gauges move also.  When I turn the key to try and start it nothing happens. I can see the gauges go down like there is a power draw but it does nothing with the starter. Anyone have ideas where to start. I looked over the wiring and fixed any obvious bad connections. I also replaced all the fuses. Wondering if there is maybe something obvious I’m missing?

Obvious here, but when the starter was out, did you do a quick test to see if the solenoid and starter motor work?  Just hook up the neg to the starter housing and tap the pos to the terminal, starter should engage and turn.   If the starter works, then did you check the ignition with your meter when you turn it over to see if the ignition switch is good?

19 hours ago, MyhreMade said:

Do you get a "clunk" noise when you turn the key to the start position?

On 9/10/2022 at 5:04 PM, Summershandy said:

Wouldn't hurt to check/clean the connections at the switch. I had a dirty contact misaligned neutral safety switch that was giving me starting grief. 

Good call.  The neutral safety switch is a big deal here.  If it is not aligned, it wont start plain and simple.  Try hold you shift lever up tight in neutral, that works sometimes.

• Like 1

I’m curious should the car be in park or in neutral when trying to start. I’ve tried both and nether worked. I also tried holding the shift lever up. It doesn’t make any noise at all when I turn the key. I just see my battery gauge go down when I turn the key. 

What kinds of transmission were in these cars. This one I’m trying to start I know has a powerglide. I’m trying to figure out what my other car has. Was it only Hydramatic or was there another transmission. The other car doesn’t say Hydramatic on the shifter like I’ve seen on others. 5F811366-CBEB-41F7-88E2-7311D5027EFC.jpeg.aae8a872d1dfbfdfe903a874f295a50c.jpegthis is the one I’m trying to start.

808F383E-A639-4CAE-8C6C-726798132A87.jpeg.816dcf4de5e2e306f586ad34ecde9e6c.jpegthis is the other one.

• Like 1

The other one (lower picture) has a typical 1953 Pontiac Dual-Range Hydramatic transmission. You put it in N to start the car.  Most automatic equipped 1953 Pontiacs used this transmission. Because a fire destroyed GM's Hydramatic transmission plant in Livonia, MI in August 1953 some 18,499 Pontiacs were equipped with Chevrolet Powerglide transmissions. Your car with a P on the left side of the quadrant is one of these. The car would start in P or N. By the way, Pontiacs with Powerglides used a different neutral safety switch than the Hydramatics. 

• Like 2

4 hours ago, MyhreMade said:

I put a jumper wire between the two connections on the neutral safety switch. Turn the key and it finally cranks over. I’m going to try cleaning the connections and see if I can get it to work without the jumper. 

I think I have only seen your powerglide car…send a pic of your other one if you have time!  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NightTrain said:

Awesome, is that your parts car or do you plan to build it too? Same color combo as mind!

Well I originally picked it up with that in mind but it’s in much better shape than the other one as far as the body. I may sell the powerglide one and just focus on this one. Would like to get the powerglide car running and driving first if possible before selling it.

I’d like to keep them both but my wife wants her spot back in the garage before the MN winter. 

• Like 3

16 hours ago, MyhreMade said:

Well I originally picked it up with that in mind but it’s in much better shape than the other one as far as the body. I may sell the powerglide one and just focus on this one. Would like to get the powerglide car running and driving first if possible before selling it.

I’d like to keep them both but my wife wants her spot back in the garage before the MN winter. 

Cool.

I wondered since the Hydra one looked better. Fyi… French Lake Auto Salvage not far from you has two 53’s for parts.  They are NOT on their inventory list and there is some decent parts to be had.  They are exactly the same as your cars.  The baby blue one looks like it has a very good engine if you need it.

fyi…I will be putting mine in the Dozinky parade this weekend, 3 years and a lot of labor, but finally there!!

9BD4A3C4-359F-41D9-9888-9D1987C23E43.jpeg

F2FA511C-6644-497F-8C89-596D52932FC9.jpeg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, NightTrain said:

Cool.

I wondered since the Hydra one looked better. Fyi… French Lake Auto Salvage not far from you has two 53’s for parts.  They are NOT on their inventory list and there is some decent parts to be had.  They are exactly the same as your cars.  The baby blue one looks like it has a very good engine if you need it.

fyi…I will be putting mine in the Dozinky parade this weekend, 3 years and a lot of labor, but finally there!!

9BD4A3C4-359F-41D9-9888-9D1987C23E43.jpeg

F2FA511C-6644-497F-8C89-596D52932FC9.jpeg

Oh awesome. Thanks for the heads up. I will have to check them out. Couple of little things I need for mine.

• 1 month later...
12 minutes ago, MyhreMade said:

1B67F543-90B7-450A-989B-28F9806C7E17.jpeg.ab0902d1562f9cd85aa95b35094ab713.jpeg

Cool man!  Great progress.

I tried to rebuild mine, but it was too far gone…push rod was too pitted.  Bought refrub for $80.  Be careful with those, I believe if you put the push rod down too far, it will break the seal.  I might’ve broke one🤔🤭

I don't want to hi-jack this thread, but I thought  everyone here may be interested in a few things I have for sale:

I have 2  six cylinder flat head Pontiac engines ($100/EA), and 3 Hydromatic transmissions($50/EA).  OR I will be willing to sell parts off of them.  Please P-mail me, if interested...

ERIC

Ah, this takes me back! If memory serves me, I believe the sending unit uses the gas tank as a ground to properly operate through the mounting screws. I was a little uneasy with that so I ran a ground cable from a screw to the frame. I think I got my lines from Inline and 2 of them were to long so I had to cut and flare them. That short run through the frame on the front drivers side was quite the challenge. Looking good!

• 1 month later...
24 minutes ago, r1lark said:

So......I've kinda lost track here. Is this the first Pontiac you had gotten, or the one you bought recently?

Sorry. Yeah my posts are kinda jumping around. This is the original one that has the powerglide that was seized when I got it. Then plan now that this one is running is to sell it to help fund a motor rebuild on the other. If it was up to me I’d keep both but my wife wants her parking spot back in the garage for the MN winter.

• Like 4

On 9/11/2022 at 11:13 PM, The 55er said:

The other one (lower picture) has a typical 1953 Pontiac Dual-Range Hydramatic transmission. You put it in N to start the car.  Most automatic equipped 1953 Pontiacs used this transmission. Because a fire destroyed GM's Hydramatic transmission plant in Livonia, MI in August 1953 some 18,499 Pontiacs were equipped with Chevrolet Powerglide transmissions. Your car with a P on the left side of the quadrant is one of these. The car would start in P or N. By the way, Pontiacs with Powerglides used a different neutral safety switch than the Hydramatics. 

I've got three of these Hydramatic trannsmissions, that I would like to see,  go to someone who can use them or parts from them.  They have been out in the weather so, I wouldn't expect to much out of them.  Prices reflex this.  Asking $40 each.

Located in Pgh. PA .

ERIC

• 2 months later...
1 hour ago, MyhreMade said:

I’ll take a look at making these. I have one of them on my car.

I made one but it's flat. I recall a thin flat bar fit perfect cuz I don't remember cutting the width. The ends weren't that hard but to have one with that dimple in the middle?....I'd seriously buy one if the price wasn't too crazy. I'm always up against the exchange rate of our Canadian dollar.

Keep us posted!

IMG_8339.JPG

Edited by Summershandy
add on (see edit history)

• 3 months later...

I’ve been taking the powerglide Pontiac on short drives not that the snow is gone. I need to look at the steering. Seems like there is a lot of play in the wheel. You can see in the video the orientation of the wheel yet the car is going straight. Doesn’t seem right.