UNLOADING A 1/2 TON WITH NO BRAKES FROM A TRAILER

Dodgefran

I am looking for your experience on this.  I have a  1938 1/2 ton that I will be trailering later this month.  Getting it on the trailer is not my problem, BUT getting it off is.  No engine or brakes.  I'll be using a UHaul trailer without a come along attachment.  How do I get it off the truck without brakes.  I know someone out there has done this.  Please share your info.   Thanks guys.

Best way would supply your own come along. Surely on an open car trailer there is somewhere it can be attached. You will have to chain the truck to the trailer in several spots to transport it safely so just include the come along in your front tie down location.

• Like 1

Unload her in an empty field without hills to roll down or stuff to run into. I usually just get stuff off that does not run with my backhoe loader. Care needs to be taken not to damage any parts you want to save. Dandy Dave! 

• Like 5

Ratcheting cable strap(s).

Use two at a time and alter the length.

When I use my 12VDC electric winch 

with a block & tackle to pull a heavy vehicle 

out of the trailer - that is what I use as I 

get the vehicle close to the end of the trailer as a “ safety tether “.

Jim

Back up to a tree at the top of a hill; chain the truck to the tree, and then drive the tow vehicle and trailer down the hill.   Doesn't need to be a big hill, just enough grade so the truck doesn't roll back into the tree when it comes down the slope off the trailer.

• Like 2

We successfully pushed a 55 Chevy off a trailer into a dead end long enough for it to stop. I am pretty sure @JACK Mwas behind that idea.

Just don’t ask him to get a non running Jeepster onto a trailer unless you take a Xanax first. 😂 (You will have to ask him about that story, but it did end just fine for the car. I got a few gray hairs out of it though). 

Great suggestion of using a come a long. But what you really need is a couple of come a longs. One to take up the slack when the first has reached its limit. Also, I put a heavy chain hooked to the trailer and some spot on the car with a bit of slack that can be adjusted with each change over of the come a long. I do this as sort of a safety brake. IF it does get loose it will only roll back as far as the slack in the chain allows, maybe 4 or 5 feet.

• Like 2

40 minutes ago, TAKerry said:

But what you really need is a couple of come a longs

Or a pair of chocks.

Methodology varies with angle of trailer, terrain, type of trailer, type of vehicle, where the vehicle will be ending up, clearances, hired help, etc, etc, etc.

Study the variables. Think of what can go wrong. Plan for it going wrong. Safety first.

When the vehicle is safely in bed kiss your wife and have a beer. ........Bob

• Like 2

9 hours ago, victorialynn2 said:

We successfully pushed a 55 Chevy off a trailer into a dead end long enough for it to stop. I am pretty sure @JACK Mwas behind that idea.

Just don’t ask him to get a non running Jeepster onto a trailer unless you take a Xanax first. 😂 (You will have to ask him about that story, but it did end just fine for the car. I got a few gray hairs out of it though). 

What? me ? 

My methods are totally safe as long as you stay out of the way.

Don't blame me for your gray. I can tell you from experience, that just happens with time.

😈

I will be unloading un a storage facility (UHaul)  I don't think they would appreciate any dents in their "Lockers".  I need to control the off load of a 1/2 ton truck with no engine, drive train, or brakes.  I loooooooooovvvvvve doing things the hard way.  I've seen a couple of ideas from you all, and I thank you for your experiences.  I think I'm leaning towards friction.  I'm not a fan of "free fall".  I like what little control I'm allowed. 

Keep em coming folks.  I know there is something out there that will fit my needs.

The pic below is what I'm working with.

Thanks again

1938 Ddg Hmpbck BEST small Profile 6 26 04 002.jpg

• 2 months later...

We finally did it.  I had not taken the distance to the ground and the angle of ramps.  There were three of us and we decided to hand roll it each of us on a tire (it could have been done with two people).  we had complete control as it rolled down the ramps.  We hand rolled it right into the storage unit like it belonged there.   Thanks for all of the suggestions.  Each had value to me.  When you are in the middle of a project and have to change what you planned, having a few ideas is great.

Thanks again.

• Like 5

• 2 weeks later...

Good for you, but for anyone reading this two more points to make.  Rolling the tires by hand (especially uphill loading) can overload your arm.  (Ask my orthopedic surgeon how I know).  The second point, if you have the luxury of a nearby ditch, just put the trailer wheels in the ditch, then roll the vehicle off the trailer onto the seemingly level surface..  

Oh yeah, many times off loading equipment at airports with no ramps, we just picked up the phone,  called a rollback to come transfer our stuff off of a semi-trailer , back to back, and put it on the ground.  Then the biggest thing we picked up was a pen to write the check.  Everybody is happy and safe.