Should I repair my original gas tank or buy new?

Dodgefran

I have a 38 Dodge RC humpback panel truck.  The gas tank needs metal work.  Would it be cheaper to get a genaric new tank or repair the old one.  Money is the root of all evil, so shower me with some opinions.  PLEASE

Thanks 

Fran

Well the first question is if you want to keep things original. As you mention a generic new tank I will assume original is not a priority to you. The cost is hard to guess until the extent of the damage is known for sure. When I decided to repair the tank on my 37 Buick I had no idea how many small pinholes would appear as the tank was cleaned and repairs started. If you have an old time radiator repair shop in your area, that would be a good place to start asking. Many old radiator repair guys also fix tanks.  Now for cost.... If a generic tank will fit where you need it to, it will almost certainly be less expensive unless the needed repairs are VERY few. Just my thoughts...

My 1928 Plymouth  gas tank is shot.  They are not made reproduction.  I plan to buy a new  metal 1933 Plymouth  reproduction gas tank ( $250. ) and slightly modify it to fit my car.  If you check around on line I am sure you can find a similar tank to what you need.  I have seen estimates as high as $2,000 for a custom made tank.  With a new metal gas tank you don't have to worry about burning up your garage, house or family. 

Look into a company called Gas Tank -ReNew, or something like that-

did a great job on our '41 Cadillac tank, and now doing our 1915 Hudson gas tank.

You'll never regret doing it right the first time.

And my father had a (1937 or 1938?) Dodge Humpback panel delivery for his TV repair side business back in the 1940s/1950s-

wish we had kept it, but was traded off for a '51 Pontiac Tin-Woodie Wagon

Edited by Marty Roth (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My 1937 Dodge MC pickup had the gas fill under the seat.  You had to slide the seat forward, open a little trap door in the floor and then undo the gas cap.  There was no outside filler neck.  The prevailing thought was this was a tank from a humpback truck installed in my vehicle as they did not have a filler neck.  The new owner called asking how / where to put gas in it.  We both had a good chuckle!

For fuel tank repair cost,if you are skilled enough and have patience plus time and a DYI guy who takes pride in accomplishment and or CHEAP ? your time is free you only have material costs. .

You may spend 2 days or 3 to 4 weeks banging out  ,welding ,soldering cleaning and sealing a poor tank if one is not available .

If one is available ,balance it against the time your spend on such a repair chore that can be used on other things...

A few hundred dollars on new tank is greatly appreciated after one had grunted many hours to salvaged a poor tank.

You need to mention more detail on the type metal work your tank needs for any real opinion to matter. .

Its it rotted out..just rusty,is it crushed....all of the above?

• Like 1

If you have a good tinsmith in your area, you may check with them to see if they can build you a new tank. Today, though, so many businesses are worried about being sued for something, so some won't do the work. I got lucky, and had a tank made that looks original and fit to a "T'.

IMG18.JPG

I wanted the under side of my car to look real nice. I sanded, ground, polished and painted to perfection... and I never saw anyone at any car show look under the car.

So much for original appearance!

The biggest question you should be asking is, Will my family be safe from fire!

👸🤴👳‍♀️👨‍🦯🏃‍♂️???

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

If your tank has pinholes in it, then get a replacement made. My Auburn tanks had badly pinholed bottoms, my radiator repair guy refused to cut out and repair them, his words "for every pinhole we see and repair, there will be more potential ones to come".

I went to the ACD festival in 2000 and after the judging a newly restored, prize winning Auburn, had a gas tank leak, onto a hot exhaust and catch fire, the car was reduced to ashes in a few minutes. The poor owner had to collect a trophy for his best restored car later that evening, very sad.

There have been a couple DIY suggestions and if you go that way just be sure you fill the tank with water a few times before doing any welding!  Gas fumes will cause some major damage to the tank and welder when they explode. Nothing for a novice welder to be messing with, buy a new tank be safe and cheaper than medical bills. 

If you can get an exact brand new replacement I vote that.

If it is only a reasonable facsimile,  then you can try these guys:

https://www.gastankrenu.com/

I need to confirm it is the one that I have been using for the last 20 years.   I've had 3 or 4 tanks done.   The only downside is that if you are going for a Pebble level chassis restoration,  you are  going to have a lot of sanding and filling to do as the coating leaves a rough finish.    This is not an issue for most people.

1 hour ago, SC38DLS said:

There have been a couple DIY suggestions and if you go that way just be sure you fill the tank with water a few times before doing any welding! ...

I have welded many a tanks with the above procedure because of a puncture, BUT, leave the water in the tank!

After washing out the tank with a strong detergent, leave the water in the tank!

Roll the tank over to get the hole at the very top level of water and put more water in through the hole, leaving only a very little air space where you are going to weld.

The tank can not explode because there is no air/gas mixture in it.

Be careful though, as small flames WILL come out of the hole while welding.

Of course, you can not weld rust so it may be better to purchase a new tank for future safety.

Edited by Roger Walling (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Trivia: "had a gas tank leak, onto a hot exhaust ". In 1972 Pontiac "A" body station wagons were available with GTO engines but not dual exhaust because one pipe would have to pass under the side mounted fuel tank.

I have put flame to many of a vintage car fuel tank .Rinse them well....then you tie a propane torch on the end of 2 broom handles in  lenght or similar ,light the torch and touch off any hole ,filler neck or sending unit .

Most I ever got was 4 second woosh of flame out the filler neck and the tank scooted 3 feet..on a 68 Camaro tank in the drive way.

Very old, dried fuel tanks with heavy varnish and rust silt almost look like they do nothing but in reality the inside burns like a sterno can flame for about 2 minutes..

It's not like an idiot who had raw gas in a tank and just pour it out and welded on it...

As I got older the broom handle  torch bit is now down to 4 feet .