Wyoming raising fees

What is the annual registration fee for a regular plate? In the grand scheme of things $10k annual revenue is piddling and will prob get eaten up in administrating the new regulations. Not worth the effort, really.

It's foolish to not carry liability insurance on any vehicle.

I would ask the state legislator sponsoring this legislation and the complaining LEO "why not enforce the laws already in place?". If someone's trying to game the system I have no problem with them getting a ticket for misuse of plates with a hefty fine and surrender of the plate in question.

• Like 4

As a former Wyoming resident, I didn't even know about the antique plates or the insurance loophole.  In Alabama where I live now, you must have insurance on everything but can get the antique plates for a 1 time fee of $50 or so.  I just get YOM plates for my antique cars though.  I do have to renew every year, but YOM plates look a bit nicer.  

• Like 1

For people to register any vehicle to avoid having liability insurance is idiocy and those people should be sued to the last penny they ever had.   And it will happen,  ever notice all the lawyer commercials on TV?   We are all targets every time we drive our antique cars and cause an accident.  Saving a few bucks by not buying insurance does not exempt anyone from financial liability.  Being stupid is not a valid defense.

View from a former Insurance Investigator, Adjuster, Agent and Financial Advisor.   30 years of dealing with peoples poor judgements.

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

We can register a vehicle without insurance in VA but it adds a $500 (may be more now) uninsured motor vehicle fee to the annual tag fee. UMVF goes into an uninsured motorists fund in the state treasury.

In these litigious times I can't understand anyone being that foolish and financially ignorant and irresponsible, to go on the roads without at least minimum liability coverage.

• Like 2

Does not appear that Wyoming requires Safety Inspections on Vehicles either. If that is the case then No Liability Insurance + No Safety Inspections = a recipe for disaster.  Someone hurt/killed by someone else driving a vehicle that is not being maintained, is unsafe and they have no Liability coverage?  That would be any  lawyer's dream come true unless there are no assets to seize and/or no wages to garnish for the rest of a person's life.

I guess this is one reason why insurance companies offer uninsured/underinsured coverage.

• Like 3

I 100% agree with what's been said. I live in California and I pay a $40 fee for my YOM plate (plus regular registration fee), plus about $100/year for full coverage insurance (comprehensive plus liability) for just my antique vehicle (you don't want to know what it is for daily drivers). Anyone who drives anything without some kind of liability coverage is insane, or has absolutely no assets. I carry $300K in liability coverage because in California we have the highest per capita ratio of lawyers who are drooling at the mouth to sue you for as much as they can for the least little thing.

• Like 1

This is a easy one. Let the $10.00 one time only registration plate stand, require insurance on anything on public road.

The concern;

law enforcement communicated to legislators that they had been “were running into issues where they were picking these people up using these cars as every day drivers.”

The answer;

Make the people that are abusing the system pay for all the fees the state would have collected if a yearly fee would have been imposed on current antique/collector owners. 

The above would soon put a end to the abuse, now if the state doesn't want to do the above you would assume the state is imposing this yearly fee because they want the money.

Edited by Pfeil (see edit history)
  • Like 5
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, Pfeil said:

This is a easy one. Let the $10.00 one time only registration plate stand, require insurance on anything on public road.

The concern;

law enforcement communicated to legislators that they had been “were running into issues where they were picking these people up using these cars as every day drivers.”

The answer;

Make the people that are abusing the system pay for all the fees the state would have collected if a yearly fee would have been imposed on current antique/collector owners. 

The above would soon put a end to the abuse, now if the state doesn't want to do the above you would assume the state is imposing this yearly fee because they want the money.

Spot on!!  We don’t need any more laws, we need more enforcement!

• Like 2

If one discovers they can get away with it, other revenue-hungry entities will soon follow. These schemes are never about logic and doing things efficiently. They are always about additional revenue. 

Case in point: what hobbyists in Virginia endured in 2007. The bill's sponsor claimed it was to get sketchy antique plates off the road. Once you dug deep into that bill the truth came out- NINE MILLION DOLLARS IN ADDITIONAL REVENUE FORECAST FROM THAT BILL. There are more sketchy antique plates running around now than ever and I still have no use for that legislator. And he has the nerve to call himself a car guy because he races Audis at VIR. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Steve,

Are you talking about pending in the Washington legislature? I heard that there was a rogue legislator who had proposed a bill, but I see no indication that it was being considered. 

No matter where we live there is always someone taking aim at the old car community. IMO Californians suffer the slings a arrows more the most states. The California influence is bound to spill over into neighboring states, but we are not California and strange legislation does not get cart blanch approval here. On the contrary the state of Washington has just dropped all emission testing regardless of vehicle. I'm comfortable with our common sense approach. I think we are doing better then most states.

My daily driver Toyota model year 2002 has seen it's annual registration go up to $144. It had been something like $95 about 7 to 10 years ago. Thing is that it is supposed to go down because of depreciation and registration has a tax component which is based on current market value. The total fee has a registration component plus a tax component. For my vehicle the tax component has gone down to practically nothing. But the registration fee component mysteriously jumps up significantly every year, far outstripping the decline in the value tax, so the net effect is increases every year.

9 hours ago, mike6024 said:

My daily driver Toyota model year 2002 has seen it's annual registration go up to $144. It had been something like $95 about 7 to 10 years ago. Thing is that it is supposed to go down because of depreciation and registration has a tax component which is based on current market value. The total fee has a registration component plus a tax component. For my vehicle the tax component has gone down to practically nothing. But the registration fee component mysteriously jumps up significantly every year, far outstripping the decline in the value tax, so the net effect is increases every year.

The basic registration fee in CA is now *supposedly* indexed to inflation and rises every year, but IMHO itnow 's outstripping inflation by leaps and bounds.

On 3/2/2021 at 12:37 PM, rocketraider said:

We can register a vehicle without insurance in VA but it adds a $500 (may be more now) uninsured motor vehicle fee to the annual tag fee. UMVF goes into an uninsured motorists fund in the state treasury.

Still $500.

I have had people tell me they have car insurance through the state! 😲  No, you do not.  You are allowed to drive, but still have to pay out of pocket for problems you create driving.

Laws are reactionary. For years people have been trying to cheap out using collector car insurance. It is bout time they started catching them.

It is a shame the word "conniver" has fallen out of common usage. It would help a wide range of those searching for their identity. And not just the car stuff.