Owen Magnetic

alsancle

6 hours ago, edinmass said:

Have you seen the wiring harness on an Owens? I have, and 100 year old cloth wiring that’s dry rotted doesn’t appeal to me. The selector box on the steering column is enough to make you want to walk where ever you go.

Wimp.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

Wimp.

Are you man enough to buy one and pay me my regular shop rate to sort it? Figure 800-1200 hours........what do you say? 😆

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, edinmass said:

Are you man enough to buy one and pay me my regular shop rate to sort it? Figure 800-1200 hours........what do you say? 😆

I'm happy to pay my personal shop rate,  with an occasional lunch or dinner at a reasonably priced place thrown in.  No desert though.

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

2 hours ago, edinmass said:

I say I would not NEED to do that!😉

Paying people to learn on an odd car always cost lots of money. Heck, paying people to learn on a common car they have never worked on before cost a lot of money!

• Like 2

The auto museum in Fairbanks, Alaska has one.  (Been there, seen it.). They also have three antique electrics on display.  Columbia, Argo, and I've forgotten the third.  Almost all the cars in the collection are claimed to be drivable.  So it wouldn't surprise me if the OM was also in drivable condition.

• Like 1

Owen-Magnetic.... always been on my short list if I had the means. But then again I tend to be drawn to the obscure and more interestingly engineered automobiles - sleeve valve engines,  - Premier with a Cutler-Hammer electric shift would be neat. etc. (do any functioning examples exist?)

Its interesting that today the Owen-Magnetic technology seems daunting yet back in its day it would have been less daunting to those familiar with the widespread technology used on the trolley's that once ran down many a street and connected many a suburb. Or the electric locomotives of the day and in particular early power generation technology. (steam to electric, water to electric etc.) 

In some ways I think we have regressed. Granted the Owen-Magnetic failed in part to its complexity and cost but its still an amazing bit of technology that seems to have come full circle.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Is it just me or is the market flooded with Magnetics these days?

https://hymanltd.com/vehicles/6893-1917-owen-magnetic-touring/

1917 Owen Magnetic Touring

One of few surviving examples of this ingenious precursor to the modern plug-in hybrid. Powered by a 34-horsepower inline-six linked which links to a sophisticated generator and magnetic drive transmission connected to the rear wheels. Handsome 5-passenger touring car coachwork, presented in highly original condition. Remarkably well-preserved, and believed to have original paint with a partially refurbished interior. One of the most fascinating and technically advanced products of American motoring history. This vehicle just arrived, and a full description is coming soon. Please contact Hyman Ltd for more details.  $149,500

OwenMagneticHyman.jpg

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

12 hours ago, 1937hd45 said:

Did they come with fire extinguishers?

Because?

Another member just posted this 1958 classifieds listing elsewhere and I hope they won't mind my re-posting here. It's pretty interesting to see an Owen Magnetic being offered in that era by a well established dealer at the same price point as a Simplex or Early Packard. 

1489015197_1911Packard1958HCCAAdTunickResized1.thumb.jpg.26c2044d4c3fb77d1a0b43db62f90b4e.jpg

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Someone in New Zealand related to Len Southward may be able to tell you what they were like to drive.  He had a beautiful low mileage original car in his collection which I saw when I was on a work trip when I was with CSIRO Division of Animal Physiology.  I met him when he was here for the 1970 Sydney to Melbourne International Rally.  He was a really nice fellow, and was an extraordinary engineer.  He was very useful and beneficial to our hobby , because his manufacturing specialty was making tubing for all purposes.  Of course that would include extruding and flaring the ends of very thin-wall brass tube; whereof many honeycomb radiator cores were made.  I understood he acquired the Owen Magnetic in USA in the 1960s, and deported it home to NZ.   My visual memory tells me he was very tall and slim, and drove an early teen 4 cyl ohv Buick when he came here.  He took back a good late twenties supercharged 38/250 Mercedes Benz sports-racing car, which nobody here knew was waiting for a new home.  Len was very discreet, with his eyes and ears open and his lips shut.  

You should ask Bud Tierney about the engine. To me is has close similarity in style and detail to a Continental brand proprietry engine, though the Model 9N ContinentaI I am familiar with is a bit smaller at around 303 cubic inch.    The picture of an OHV six cylinder engine on a test stand I cannot recognise.   

I had hoped to be able to attend Hershey just past to meet people with compatible interests.  Look after yourselves and know the full science, maybe we shall meet sometime later in this decade.     Regards. 

• Like 4

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/23/2021 at 11:15 AM, 1937hd45 said:

6893_4.jpg

No fire extinguisher.........the dash button that says start.......It’s really A self destruct button! 💥 

• Haha 1

• 1 month later...

Jay Leno just released a new video on his:

On 1/23/2021 at 8:15 AM, 1937hd45 said:

6893_4.jpg

It is interesting that this car apparently doesn't have its original valve (?) cover.  The Leno car has one with "Owen Magnetic" cast in the side.  Jay said the original was so porous that it leaked oil out of every pore, so he couldn't really drive the car.  He scanned it and used a 3D printer to mock up a replacement.  Once satisfied with it, he had a shop make a new one out of aluminum.

Edited by wws944 (see edit history)
  • Like 4

Ok, so for those of you smarter than me and watched the video.   Do you need to explicitly put the car in "charge" mode to recharge your batteries?   The "charge" position is just above the "start" position on the steering wheel.    Keeping in mind the car has no starter or generator I'm wondering how this works.

On 1/19/2021 at 7:33 PM, motoringicons said:

I don't know of anyone actively using an Owen  Magnetic.

On 1/20/2021 at 8:30 PM, edinmass said:

I just checked YouTube, there is no video of a Owens running or driving, in fifty years of car show, tours, museums, and collections I have never seen one run or move. 

Thankfully, the new Jay Leno video linked above

fills the void.  He shows how it operates and

takes it on the road.

Isn't it great when inactive cars, especially rare ones,

are lovingly cared for and brought back into activity?

• Like 3

23 hours ago, wws944 said:

Jay Leno just released a new video on his:

It is interesting that this car apparently doesn't have its original valve (?) cover.  The Leno car has one with "Owen Magnetic" cast in the side.  Jay said the original was so porous that it leaked oil out of every pore, so he couldn't really drive the car.  He scanned it and used a 3D printer to mock up a replacement.  Once satisfied with it, he had a shop make a new one out of aluminum.

I just watched that last night. I guess it is because it was one of his 'pandemic' editions and I guess unedited but he did repeat himself a few times.

Like him I have little understanding of how the electrical system works and perhaps that is why he rambled a little. I guess we will all have to learn more about electricity at some time.

10 minutes ago, Flivverking said:

VALVE COVER?.  watch the Jay video

I belive the wheels Leno's ,Owen/Owen's Magnetic are to too small ,non original to his car.

Jest don't look or fit right? 

Agreed on the wheels. They don’t look right.

I think the big and small engines have different head designs.  

4 hours ago, nzcarnerd said:

I just watched that last night. I guess it is because it was one of his 'pandemic' editions and I guess unedited but he did repeat himself a few times.

I found it very enjoyable, and I do wonder if Jay ever looks on forums like this given there have been a few of us hoping for him to do a video on it. I prefer his pandemic editions in that you see more of the car rather than some guest 

Given the condition of the body work, I wouldnt' be surprised if they'd had to replace the wheels as well. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, hidden_hunter said:

I found it very enjoyable, and I do wonder if Jay ever looks on forums like this given there have been a few of us hoping for him to do a video on it. I prefer his pandemic editions in that you see more of the car rather than some guest 

Given the condition of the body work, I wouldnt' be surprised if they'd had to replace the wheels as well. 

From a quick look the wheels look like 1920s era 21". 

4 hours ago, Flivverking said:

VALVE COVER?.  watch the Jay video

I belive the wheels Leno's ,Owen/Owen's Magnetic are to too small ,non original to his car.

Jest don't look or fit right? 

Jay called it a valve cover.  The thing that confuses me is the coolant connection on the end (front) of it.

The engine photo that @1937hd45 posted has a very different cover on it.  Jay said the engine was an off the shelf Buda engine.  So perhaps it was a generic Buda cover that at some time in the past replaced the porous Owen Magentic cover?  Fortunately Jay had the original cover on his and and the means to make a replacement.

Edited by wws944 (see edit history)

I wonder if the magnetic/electric transmission is more or less efficient than a regular mechanical transmission, both would have some degree of energy loss to the rear wheels.

I also watched the Jay Leno video by chance last night, he does a very good job of explaining to the lay-person the functionality of most of his cars but obviously he struggled in this case with the technicalities. I don't think many could explain it well.

4 hours ago, maok said:

I wonder if the magnetic/electric transmission is more or less efficient than a regular mechanical transmission, both would have some degree of energy loss to the rear wheels.

I also watched the Jay Leno video by chance last night, he does a very good job of explaining to the lay-person the functionality of most of his cars but obviously he struggled in this case with the technicalities. I don't think many could explain it well.

Since I bailed on ME after two years take this with a grain of salt,  but I'm thinking the frictional loss of the gears would be less than the loss in the magentic drive.  But if I no substantial way of justifying that.

• 2 months later...
On 1/20/2021 at 8:30 PM, edinmass said:

I just checked YouTube, there is no video of a Owens running or driving, in fifty years of car show, tours, museums, and collections I have never seen one run or move. Maybe it’s the ultimate in garage art.

I just watched Jey Leno do the Owen Magnetic story and take us all for a ride in his.   Very interesting, and it;s a car he restored from a low milage original.

When Leno bought his car he didn't have any technicial or factory documentation on it. A good friend who sold me my 1914 Cadillac had factory repair and service information on them, about two inches thick.He ended up selling it to Jay and a few months later Jay stopped by his collection for a visit. Jay is known to drop in and visit people and collections by knocking on the door unannounced.