Emblem Magic anyone ever hear of this Company

Mark Gregory

Mark, I remember a company from years back that specialized in cloisonne emblem restoration but I can't tell you if it's the same company.

If they can restore lucite-filled emblems they have a wide-open market. Half the Oldsmobile people I know are trying to find those for their 70s cars that the plastic has either fallen out or crazed so badly as to be unusable.

Emblemagic Classic Car Emblems and Badges has been for sale for quite a few years.  In December it was purchased by Pati Monroe Fairchild in California.  Pati is a very talented individual and has be reproducing quality MoPar emblems for a few years.  I think she will do a great job keeping Emblemagic going.  She just moved all the molds and equipment to her shop.  She is in the process of updating the website to include her information.  

I just talked to Pati Fairchild the new owner of  Emblemagic.  The email contact on the website goes to her now as well as the phone number on the website.  The mailing address is now 1961 Obispo Ave., Signal Hill, CA 90755.  The phone number is still (440) 209-0792 .

• Like 1

• 9 months later...

Sad to hear this! I had 2 Dodge emblems done soon after the business was sold. The owner was kind enough to do them but did say he wasn't taking anymore work on. Took about 6 months to get them back but they are beautiful. It's sad to see so many of these small specialty shops failing or going out of business after the original owner sold. This trend could ruin the hobby!

• Like 1

Sad to hear about the problems with another place, it’s always hard to find a great supplier!

I had supplied Karla Maxwell with the photos and measurements of a Chalmers Detroit emblem many years ago now, and she made an exceptional  copy for a client who needed one. She offered to restore mine but I prefer to keep them original unless they are totally destroyed.

The last ones I sent out, a Bell and an Anderson, went to John Webster who’s work was great but he passed away not long after doing them for me. 

On 10/29/2021 at 9:34 PM, Dodgedude37 said:

I am having trouble reaching Pati she has two of my emblems one for trade, one for restore, & $200.00. The voice-mail is full & no response from email.20210803_154110.jpg.832fc10f0317e7a29605703f163bc6e3.jpg

I also am having problems trying to reach Emblematic. Paid a deposit several months ago to restore a REO emblem. Last contact was August 2, 2021 and since then no reply to text, email and phone voicemail box full.

59 minutes ago, Don Rau said:

I also am having problems trying to reach Emblematic. Paid a deposit several months ago to restore a REO emblem. Last contact was August 2, 2021 and since then no reply to text, email and phone voicemail box full.

I just sent her an email this evening concerning my emblem. I decided to do some "research" and it landed me here. She has my 1934 Dodge grille emblem and I paid the full price for the restoration. My last email contact with her was 8/6/2021. The emblem was quoted to have been done early September. There is a post to her instagram account as of 5 weeks ago. 

Edited by Harf111 (see edit history)

I've communicated with Pati Fairchild of Emblemagic today.  Her phone and email service has been out for two weeks and just restored today.  She has over 200 phone messages and as many emails to respond to, which she is working through now.  Pati purchased Emblemagic back in January and is a very talented lady who had excellent experience in this area before.  She also still has a full time job in addition to Emblemagic, so has been working 18 hours a day trying to keep up with the demand.  Pati has also had problems with subcontractors who do various outside work for her.  

This is the type of business we need to keep supporting to keep it going in the hobby.  I believe Pati will deliver on all that she has promised but it may take longer than originally promised.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 4

• 2 weeks later...

Dodgedude37,

I recieved two cryptic emails last night from 4402090792 with no subject. I was hesitant to open either and Google searched the number, only to have it come back as the emblemagic phone number. One contained the attached two pictures and one contained the following message as an attachment:

"Hello! This emblem is done and looks great except my chrome guy is scared and refuses to work with enameled parts. It is in nickel, it does not have the final layer of chrome. I have been trying to find a trustworthy shop to dip the final step, but haven't found one locally yet. Should I send the emblem now as-is?

Thanks,
Pati
Emblemagic.com"

Hopefully this helps. I sent a response that this is not my emblem. Hopefully, mine hasn't gone somewhere it's not supposed to. 

IMG_2180.JPG

IMG_2181.JPG

Edited by Harf111 (see edit history)

Great job. I have done the re enamel of a few things decades ago, not an easy task as it is not just remove and fill the area, the different colored enamels melt at different degrees and some while melted and liquid others are still in the lumpy  powder stage. this is if your emblem has several colors.

The Brooklands race track badge I did dates from the 1920s has 7 colors - ROYAL PITA. it was the final one that I did decades ago, just to much effort and time. Once they are melted and fired into place you have to file down lumps to smooth the whole project to a similar level.

Yes, I have to many projects, and to much equipment to occupy retirement.

brooklandabadge.jpg

• Like 2

Not sure how they were produced. Most car club badges like this of that era or radiator shell badges had far less colors. Brooklands is a banked track and steep - I have visited the site in Surrey, England several times . Most of it is still there and the Brooklands Society has reunions there.  The companies that made these and car badges are a lost art/industry. Everything now is primarily plastic.

I did have the students in my art club at the school I taught at do enamel work on small die cut brass shapes. No one was around when I fired them in a very small ceramic kiln specifically made to do this in. We hung a loop on one end after they were fired and a chain so the kids could have a necklace. Parents reaction was "you made that?!!" Kids were 10 to 12 years old. Most of the time we only used 2 colors of enamel powder.

Is anyone shaking their head thinking 'he's crazy".

These emblems were mass produced back when there were very few if any environmental regulations. Just about every material used was toxic and probably many are no longer available in the original form. D. L. Auld was one of the largest makers and I read many years ago that their factory site in Columbus OH was a Superfund cleanup site.

14 hours ago, BucketofBolts said:

The good ole days of toxins and lead based paint and asbestos and the smell of fuel lingering in the air while rubbing your hands together with solvents to take away the grease. Those were special days for sure.  

The smell of REAL gasoline is one of my fondest memories.

• Like 1

• 6 months later...

Pati did some beautiful work for me in reproducing tail light lenses from NOS samples that I supplied and she was working on quite a few shift indicators when she fell off the grid! She had told me that when she bought the company, the domain name did not transfer over and that it had been a nightmare to convince the registrar to transfer it to her and I believe there was a similar issue with the telephone. I understood that she had gotten it sorted out so not sure why her telephone mailbox is full.

Although I have not paid her for the latest work, she does have my original samples for the indicators including a couple NOS and I have another protect for her too. I finally reached out to some friends of hers through another organization to which she is a member and am told that she is okay but that she is off somewhere doing something related to photography but it was rather vague.

On 10/31/2021 at 12:58 PM, TheMoneyPit said:

Sad to hear about the problems with another place, it’s always hard to find a great supplier!

I had supplied Karla Maxwell with the photos and measurements of a Chalmers Detroit emblem many years ago now, and she made an exceptional  copy for a client who needed one. She offered to restore mine but I prefer to keep them original unless they are totally destroyed.

The last ones I sent out, a Bell and an Anderson, went to John Webster who’s work was great but he passed away not long after doing them for me. 

You actually have a BELL emblem ?

We restored the only surviving Bell and took it thru AACA judging.  It was actually on the back cover of Antique Automobile in 1987 or 1988  At that time we knew of only a couple Bell emblems.  The owner of the car we restored had 2 emblems, the Swigert Museum had 1 and there was 1 in the Smithsonian.  Since then a very incomplete Bell touring body showed up at a farm sale here in PA.  Happy to know another emblem has surfaced.

• Like 1