Seeking XK120 info

1950panhead

The Jaguar XK120 is a sports car manufactured by Jaguar between 1948 and 1954. It was Jaguar's first sports car since SS 100 production ended in 1939.

The XK120 was listed as a desirable car in the recent Hagerty news letter.

Are XK120's increasing in value, decreasing in value, or value is steady ?

What are the demographics for those who like XK120's ?

On 12/16/2020 at 7:05 PM, padgett said:

Don't like the MK IV ? Personally prefer the triple carb gold head XK-150s.

The XK 120 and the MG TC are what started the post war sports car movement.  The XK 120 was the worlds fastest production car when produced, and esthetically Its purity of lines surpasses that of both the XK 140 and XK 150 models which followed.  Historically it is the most significant of the XK's.

I like XK 120's a lot. I haven't had the chance to sit in or drive one for about 40 years but as I recall they were a bit of a snug fit for my 6'2" height. Prices for what I have seen are well beyond me so I sort of gloss over them these days as a car that was perhaps affordable when I was young, but clearly out of the question today. I suspect most people who they appeal to are mid 60's and up. They don't seem to be particularly rare, just expensive. Both to buy and to maintain. I might be wrong but I suspect there is little upward movement in price, supply probably is reasonably evenly matched by demand. E types are possibly more likely to continue moving up. Landmark cars !! What's not to like about any XK series car ? Except affordability .

Greg

• Like 1

So is difference between hysterical importance and peak of engineering. Had examples of both back when E-types made them $500 used cars with bad heaters and a 40 psi oil pressure panic time. Now the aluminum bodies may be ok, never had or drove one of those, but I recall the -120 brakes being terrible and worse if you kept the rear skirts on. 150s would outrun and out stop any stock 120. Cornering on 6.00 16 RS5s was sorta similar but lap times were quite different.

Guess we just have different priorities.

12 hours ago, padgett said:

So is difference between hysterical importance and peak of engineering. Had examples of both back when E-types made them $500 used cars with bad heaters and a 40 psi oil pressure panic time. Now the aluminum bodies may be ok, never had or drove one of those, but I recall the -120 brakes being terrible and worse if you kept the rear skirts on. 150s would outrun and out stop any stock 120. Cornering on 6.00 16 RS5s was sorta similar but lap times were quite different.

Guess we just have different priorities.

Yes, you nailed it, I agree with your comments, we have different priorities.  On the subject of price history, I've had 5 XK 120's which had costs ranging from a "come and pick it up if you want it" in the '70's to a $16,000 incomplete one bought about 4 years ago.  I've kept just one, a nice low mileage survivor purchased from the original owner in the early 70's for $450.  Those were the days.

• Like 1

My experience was very similar to Dave Henderson's.  I had a 120 roadster that I paid $150 for, a 120 roadster parts car given to me, an XK 140 drophead coupe that I put nearly a 100,000 miles on, a Mk IX that I paid $800 for and enjoyed thoroughly although it gobbled a quart of oil with every tank of gas, a Mark 2 sedan that was a delight to drive, and a few other parts cars that I got for free. My favorite was the XK140, followed by the Mark IX. 

All the XK Jaguars (120,140,150, E) exist in a fairly liquid market.    There is a good parts supply and a decent number of shops that can work on them.   Dialed in they are very reliable cars with a great sound and great performance for the era.     An XK140 would leave the equivalent era Corvette in its dust.   Things changed later on.

There is a very active Jaguar website and almost any questions will get multiple responses.    https://forums.jag-lovers.com/

Prices vary based on body (FHC, DHC, OTS),  options (M, MC, SE),  and mostly condition.

LHD is critical for the US market as RHD will be heavily discounted.

• Like 1

Admit I grew up in a strange time. American cars were not a majority (mostly Cadillacs and Corvettes with an occasional Ford wagon). And for a kid the main importance was how fast would it go on the middle bridge and could it get down to 25mph before the end. Occasionally we'd just park and watch the brakes glowing cherry red as players came near the end (local police jurisdiction began at end, bridge was state). Is how I know that the 150/MK IX were the first production jags with decent brakes.

Guess brakes are not as important these daze.

I really admire the XK120s, and would like to own one someday.  Here's Hagerty's trend line for 1954 XK120 OTS values in recent years, with lines for #1, #2, #3, and #4 cars.  Note also that the numbers here don't factor in inflation. 

241723834_ScreenShot2020-12-20at10_50_15PM.thumb.png.20ad8b3bcadb322e7627af0fc2e56621.png

Edited by 1935Packard (see edit history)
  • Like 1

My mom's XK140MC was her summer daily driver for 20 years.   Never let her down once.   It runs warm, but never boiled over.   One of my many projects for this winter that I probably won't get to is getting the gauge out and having it rebuilt.     It had two readings.   Zero and pegged.  

I have fond memories of being an 18 year old flying down RT9 in overdrive with my excessively attractive girlfriend at the time.   Good ole days when a cool car could help you bat out of your league.

DadAndMeInJag.jpeg

IMG_6942.JPG

6 hours ago, 1935Packard said:

I really admire the XK120s, and would like to own one someday.  Here's Hagerty's trend line for 1954 XK120 OTS values in recent years, with lines for #1, #2, #3, and #4 cars.  Note also that the numbers here don't factor in inflation. 

241723834_ScreenShot2020-12-20at10_50_15PM.thumb.png.20ad8b3bcadb322e7627af0fc2e56621.png

So Orin,  you believe those numbers?    Feel a little strong to me.

1 hour ago, alsancle said:

My mom's XK140MC was her summer daily driver for 20 years.   Never let her down once.   It runs warm, but never boiled over.   One of my many projects for this winter that I probably won't get to is getting the gauge out and having it rebuilt.     It had two readings.   Zero and pegged.  

I have fond memories of being an 18 year old flying down RT9 in overdrive with my excessively attractive girlfriend at the time.   Good ole days when a cool car could help you bat out of your league.

DadAndMeInJag.jpeg

IMG_6942.JPG

Excessively attractive girlfriend? I don’t see it. 

Edited by SC38DLS (see edit history)
  • Haha 1

Well, O.K. I confess I never attempted it at that speed. Pretty sure I never even drove that fast in first.

Next test :  How many could get an XK into first without a crunch at a standstill without first engaging a synchronized gear to stop the countershaft ?

Bought an early ‘52 race prepared MC roadster for $400 in 1965. Transplanted a 3.54 3rd member from my 140 parts car to replace the 3.89 Thornton Powerlock. The P-lock had contributed to spin out spectacles back in its SCCA Class-C  days. Out at the Shelton track on the old airport, and later at Pacific Raceways. Other than the transplant, the only other times it was off the road was rebuilding the front calipers on the 150 discs , and the valve adjustment/timing chain and tensioner replacement. Replaced the 1 3/4” SUs with 2”,  installed on a bored-out 140 intake manifold at the same time. Took the cam covers along with the intake manifold when I went to the machine shop to be buffed to a beautiful shine. It was very reliable, and fun and straightforward to work on for a pretty inexperienced kid. The manual was great, and helped me to speak better English. Drove it daily to work and for fun through my early ‘20s. Seattle rain, snow, could not raise the top for the rollbar. Girlfriend and I just dressed for the weather. I have vague recollections of being young and strong, healthy and pain free....................     -    Carl

Edited by C Carl (see edit history)

7 hours ago, alsancle said:

DadAndMeInJag.jpeg

You choose to add a picture, and it's the picture of the car?  

7 hours ago, alsancle said:

So Orin,  you believe those numbers?    Feel a little strong to me.

I don't know.  I haven't learned enough about the market to be able to say.

For me it was A1A south of Sloan's curve before condos. Deserted and 65/55 limit. Was a dirt road to a secluded beach about where Ibis Island is now. Needed a towel on the seat to keep the red dye off. Jag was LHD and MG RHD. Pictures from that period are pretty bad. Boy those RS5s were skinny.

jagmg.jpg

From what I've seen you're going to need close to 100K for a show worthy car.  The E types are going for more than that. Yes, they were cheap once. My BIL had an E type when he was in high school. I remember decent  E types going for a grand back in the early 1970s. One of my high schools bud's Dad had an XK150 sitting immobile in his garage, a common fate . A few years back, I bought an early (1951) Mark VII sedan because it was equipped with four on the floor and bucket seats, I think of it as a gigantic XK120. It's waiting to see if I ever get around to it. I got a really nice '89 XJS 12 cylinder convertible real cheap from an estate sale. These are the last of the cheap Jags. Cheap to buy, not so cheap to rehab. It is an incredible machine. 

10 hours ago, SC38DLS said:

Excessively attractive girlfriend? I don’t see it. 

Legend in his own mind. 😏

He hit the lottery with his wife. The lady is an absolute saint. 

Be nice with your reply, I’m taking Mark Hyman for a ride in the Stearns Knight tomorrow at lunch. I’m gonna see if he will give me fifty bucks for it. 🤣