Ultimate Resrorations

Bill Stoneberg

While looking at the programs that Amazon has, I found a show called Ultimate Restorations.

This is a show that shows the restoration of different items by professional restorers with no drama or personality conflicts.

I watched 6 or 7 shows in the past few days Including Fire Trucks, a Caracol, a steam powered yacht and a HUGE pipe organ.

Its worth looking into. 

1 hour ago, 1937hd45 said:

bet that requires one to own a cellphone doesn't it? 

No,  a computer or tablet would work.  But the prime membership would be a drawback for me.  I still do most shopping in person, not that I need that many things anymore.  The word “dinosaur” seems to come to mind for some reason.

• Thanks 1

Bill, I have seen those shows on TV here in NY. Some of those are very interesting especially the restoration of an Ahrens Fox fire engine and a steam yacht. One show even restored a train car, a steam engine that was used in numerous old movies and TV shows and a WW II airplane. I thought the shows were worth watching. 

Assuming we are still following this thread, I’ve watched a British based show on my local PBS channel called Find It, Fix It, Drive It that I found entertaining.  It’s not about high dollar restorations and the storyline is thin at times but it’s view of fix up and drive something with mostly backyard skills is fun.  Here is a preview.

1 hour ago, mcdarrunt said:

Wel i kant spel al the fansy werds but i kan bild a Ridler Award wining 40 ford coop. i'l let yu speek fansi if yu wil let me bild fancy. i prefer my skil over yors.

Dat's very observatary uv yahs- Im glad yahs brought dat to my retention...

And yahs can misquote me on dat...

Edited by Str8-8-Dave
Speelchek (see edit history)

I love the English language, you can do so much with it. Do admit to using creative spelling occasionally. Ever hear of a canary trap ?

Rabbit picture belongs right next to "and the cows don't mind it a bit" or "think of it as evolution in action".

Rarely leave the house except for bananas do not keep.

Have had Amazon Prime for years. Prime TV, Music, and Audiobooks are just side benefits.

I remember JC Whitney (Washawski out west) daze of write an order, send a check, wait a few weeks. Receive something that appears to be a 3/4 scale model of what you thought you ordered. Today much is "tomorrow" with a photo of the delivery. Sometimes I make an order in the evening and there the next morning.. Even eBay now has "Fast and Free".

If times get worse, I have a small fridge I can put on the front porch for perishable deliveries. Are we back to the days of the milkman ? They also delivered eggs.

That said, " fix up and drive something " sounds like Roadkill to me.

On 8/16/2020 at 11:28 AM, Bill Stoneberg said:

While looking at the programs that Amazon has, I found a show called Ultimate Restorations.

This is a show that shows the restoration of different items by professional restorers with no drama or personality conflicts.

I watched 6 or 7 shows in the past few days Including Fire Trucks, a Caracol, a steam powered yacht and a HUGE pipe organ.

Its worth looking into. 

Just checked out the ALF/Seagrave fire truck segment. Very well done and no contrived drama and bleeped out F-Bombs. Wonder what the re-chroming and new radiator bill was. Someone has way deep pockets............Bob

I think "Resrorations" was a typo, not a misspelling.  I try not to be a spelling nazi but sometimes a misspelled word changes the meaning.  The OP mentioned restoration of a Caracol.  I think that was meant to be carousel.  But as I alluded to in my post above, Caracol is a Maya archaeological site in Belize.

4 minutes ago, CHuDWah said:

I think "Resrorations" was a typo, not a misspelling.  I try not to be a spelling nazi but sometimes a misspelled word changes the meaning.  The OP mentioned restoration of a Caracol.  I think that was meant to be carousel.  But as I alluded to in my post above, Caracol is a Maya archaeological site in Belize.

Wonder why they didn't use rocks in North America at the same time in history? 

Bob 

24 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Wonder why they didn't use rocks in North America at the same time in history? 

Bob 

Maybe they misspelled rocks as rocs and everybody thought they meant giant mythological birds 🤣

34 minutes ago, CHuDWah said:

Maybe they misspelled rocks as rocs and everybody thought they meant giant mythological birds 🤣

Got this on a Google search of ROCS

https://www.bing.com/videos/search?q=rocs&&view=detail&mid=919578674E0CBBCCCA07919578674E0CBBCCCA07&&FORM=VRDGAR&ru=%2Fvideos%2Fsearch%3Fq%3Drocs%26%26FORM%3DVD

Edited by 1937hd45 (see edit history)

17 minutes ago, 1937hd45 said:

Well, at least that's car-related.  But check this out:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roc_(mythology)

Kind of an eagle on steroids - big enough to carry off an elephant 😉

And the non-smartass answer to your question is I suspect North American people didn't build much with stone simply because they weren't as advanced as the Maya.

Edited by CHuDWah (see edit history)