64 Door Edges Guards

awk409ak

Hi,

Could someone post a picture of how the door edge guard lines up at the top of the door.  Since I have the driver's side outer panel off the door I may as well install my door guard.

Also if anyone has some really nice door edges that they would sell, please let me know.

Thanks,

Art

Edited by awk409ak (see edit history)

Used ones are always beat to a pulp, and NOS door edge guards are extremely hard to come by...good luck on your search. I found my NOS

ones on ebay 5 years ago and have heard of one other set selling since then. I had to win a bidding war to get mine and they cost me 700.00

for the pair. Here is a pic of how they fit on the car when installed..........Note that they slide onto the outer skin only and it is necessary to loosen the t-bolts on the rear half of the door skin and pry the outer skin out a little to remove or install them.

DSCN0189.JPG

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Thanks 1

My personal opinion & it's just that, my opinion. 

They break up the clean lines on the side of the car.  Further there is NO WAY to stop or keep from chipping off some of the paint.

Nowadays do we really need them???  Because MOST have invested great time, trouble & $$$$$ into these gems of automotive history are we going to be that careless & let our door lose contact from out hand & just letting it FLING open????

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

My car came with them from the factory and the paint was destroyed underneath them so I had to find new ones to replace my beat up ones........that being said I love the

way they look.They compliment the thin stainless trim that goes down the sides of the car and over the wheel wells.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I'm with Tom, I think they break up the lines of the car.  The darker the car, the more obvious the contrast.  Door edges get damaged by no one but the guy opening the door.  The do not get damaged by the car parked next to you.  To avoid that damage, you need to install a horizontal body side molding that runs the length of the door and the rear quarter from the door edge to the wheel arch.  Then for balance you need to do the same to the front fender. Not a good look on a Riviera.  

My 1993 and 1990 Riveras both had/have door edge guards BUT they are thin and painted body color.

Not a Riv, but none for me, either.  Luckily my paint was ok and I just had to buff the edge a bit.  You want a car to look like it's one piece as much as possible from a design flow point of view.  The less things breaking up the profile, the better.

1964.thumb.png.a0426a59cb9fd1c2f7dd0edda166abf8.png19607.thumb.png.aec7491a60b3791e517ddd11fa0675a9.png

• Like 6
  • Thanks 1

3 hours ago, awk409ak said:

Well my car is supposed to have them.  That is why I was thinking of reinstalling them, because the left skin is off at this point.  Thanks for the picture.

Thanks,

Art

Your car came with bias ply tires, too. 😁

If you'd like to try your hand at restoring some door edge guards, I may have one that I'd sell to you so you can practice.

Ed

They are out there, These NOS just sold on ebay for 150  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-door-edge-guards-trim-NOS-set-of-2-LR-Buick-Riviera-1965-1964-1963/254630813069?fits=Model%3ARiviera&hash=item3b492ddd8d:g:CO0AAOSwOape7q~T

The below picture is a driver with 1985 century  guards....12 bucks, a little short but I didnt want to repaint just because of a bunch of chips on the door edge from a prior owner, these serve my purpose just fine... Especially knowing that I saved 700! Just LOL 

door guard.jpg

• 4 weeks later...

So I was reading this post and was curious what my car would look like with the edge guards. I bought 49 feet of door edge guard on ebay for $14 and studied the originals. Here is my 10 minute door guard install. I really doubt the average person could tell the difference. Not sure if I like it or not. If not I can pull it off, no harm no foul as Barrett Jackson would say. 

IMG_2192.JPG

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 7/28/2020 at 5:55 PM, Black River said:

Not a Riv, but none for me, either.  Luckily my paint was ok and I just had to buff the edge a bit.  You want a car to look like it's one piece as much as possible from a design flow point of view.  The less things breaking up the profile, the better.

Good Golly Lucas, that's a killer Caddy. 

I think the darker the paint the more the door guards show up to the eye. I bought a pair of NOS for the 66 but never put them on as its a one-way ticket. Could not bear to destroy the paint.

• Like 1

Buick finally caught on to the fact that the stainless door edge guard broke up the flow of the lines.  My 90 and 93 Riviera as well as the last four new Buicks I've had all had body color door edge guards.  Door edge guards only protect your car from yourself. You are the one that bangs the door into objects when you open the door.  

• Like 1

56 minutes ago, RivNut said:

Buick finally caught on to the fact that the stainless door edge guard broke up the flow of the lines.  My 90 and 93 Riviera as well as the last four new Buicks I've had all had body color door edge guards.  Door edge guards only protect your car from yourself. You are the one that bangs the door into objects when you open the door.  

As Ed says, they were std equipment color coded on the 7th generation Riv.  Unfortunately not std on Reattas.  However, I did put color coded ones from a Riv on my '91 Reatta...point deductions for each according to BCA 400 point ruling!

2 hours ago, JZRIV said:

Good Golly Lucas, that's a killer Caddy. 

I think the darker the paint the more the door guards show up to the eye. I bought a pair of NOS for the 66 but never put them on as its a one-way ticket. Could not bear to destroy the paint.

Thanks Jason!  Had to sell the beloved Riviera to get it, but it has always been the other (realistic) dream car of mine besides the Mach 1.

2 hours ago, dship said:

As Ed says, they were std equipment color coded on the 7th generation Riv.  Unfortunately not std on Reattas.  However, I did put color coded ones from a Riv on my '91 Reatta...point deductions for each according to BCA 400 point ruling!

Did the judges catch you?  Nothing like B pillar chrome or mudflaps?

The '65 looks good with them. They work with the lighter colors. On the '63 and '64 I think the guards are too close to the horseshoes. Add a dark color and it attacks the flow. My '60 has four edge guards  that are hardly noticeable against the white. They blend with the door seams.

What is the color on that '65? It looks good.

Bernie

11 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

The '65 looks good with them. They work with the lighter colors. On the '63 and '64 I think the guards are too close to the horseshoes. Add a dark color and it attacks the flow. My '60 has four edge guards  that are hardly noticeable against the white. They blend with the door seams.

What is the color on that '65? It looks good.

Bernie

Thank you  Bernie,It is called Sahara mist.  the roll of my door doesn't quite match the roll of the quarter panel. No one sees it but me, but it bugs me. I am sure the car came from the factory that way. Although I don't necessarily like edge molding, I think it does take my eye away from it.

My car was Bronze Mist when I bought it. Attached are a couple of Polaroids from 1979 when I started the color change at a friend's house.

19436.jpg.30919b2ce0929b9d2382865318e1d6ea.jpg

I have been thinking about returning it to the original color and the reflections in your paint gave me another nudge.

20 minutes ago, 60FlatTop said:

I have been thinking about returning it to the original color and the reflections in your paint gave me another nudge.

What color is it now? Mine is the original paint. Pretty faded out. I have shiny "patina"= to cheap to repaint so convince yourself that the chips and wear look cool.

2 hours ago, RivNut said:

Did the judges catch you?  Nothing like B pillar chrome or mudflaps?

Yes, caught re: door edge guards, didn't have B pillar chrome on the Reatta (as you know only on the '92 Riv), and took the "Buick" mudflaps off prior to judging.

• Like 1

14 hours ago, crowvet said:

What color is it now? Mine is the original paint. Pretty faded out. I have shiny "patina"= to cheap to repaint so convince yourself that the chips and wear look cool.

I changed my car to Claret Mist (Code S).

We put 8 coats of lacquer over red oxide primer. It always looked good but I think the red oxide under coat took away from the red highlights. I bought it with an aftermarket vinyl top and the colors always looked good together. A lot of "experts" were stricken with the blind staggers over the top at shows. My wife remembers the parade of them stopping by at the few shows she went to.

I removed the vinyl top when I put in a new windshield a while back and planning a repaint. I don't care for the solid maroon cars, too much maroon. I have a maroon and silver tutone idea but original solid bronze may be the best idea. A shade of brown with deep reflections appeals to me.

Whichever way I go a fresh paint job will give me a good base. Just scuff it up and experiment 'til I'm happy.

Bernie

3 hours ago, 60FlatTop said:

I changed my car to Claret Mist (Code S).

We put 8 coats of lacquer over red oxide primer. It always looked good but I think the red oxide under coat took away from the red highlights. I bought it with an aftermarket vinyl top and the colors always looked good together. A lot of "experts" were stricken with the blind staggers over the top at shows. My wife remembers the parade of them stopping by at the few shows she went to.

I removed the vinyl top when I put in a new windshield a while back and planning a repaint. I don't care for the solid maroon cars, too much maroon. I have a maroon and silver tutone idea but original solid bronze may be the best idea. A shade of brown with deep reflections appeals to me.

Whichever way I go a fresh paint job will give me a good base. Just scuff it up and experiment 'til I'm happy.

I have no idea where it is now, but a few years ago Carl Blackard gave me a tweaked formula for that Claret color.  I had a little more metallic and it just looked deeper.  It was on his 64 that took best in show at an ROA meet a few years ago.  In 2013, Honda had a color called Basque Red Pearl that is really close to the original Claret Mist. It has a nice deep look to it.  Looks close to OE but brings the paint into the 21st Century. 

810313841_2019-03-2612_43_00.thumb.jpg.5eca2ab5d3020d13f8e75c3cc6601522.jpg

Edited by RivNut (see edit history)