Sign in to follow this  
awk409ak

64 Door Edges Guards

Posted (edited)

Hi,

Could someone post a picture of how the door edge guard lines up at the top of the door.  Since I have the driver's side outer panel off the door I may as well install my door guard.

Also if anyone has some really nice door edges that they would sell, please let me know.

Thanks,

Art

Edited by awk409ak (see edit history)

Benefits of AACA Membership.

Posted (edited)

Used ones are always beat to a pulp, and NOS door edge guards are extremely hard to come by...good luck on your search. I found my NOS

ones on ebay 5 years ago and have heard of one other set selling since then. I had to win a bidding war to get mine and they cost me 700.00

for the pair. Here is a pic of how they fit on the car when installed..........Note that they slide onto the outer skin only and it is necessary to loosen the t-bolts on the rear half of the door skin and pry the outer skin out a little to remove or install them.

DSCN0189.JPG

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)

My personal opinion & it's just that, my opinion. 

They break up the clean lines on the side of the car.  Further there is NO WAY to stop or keep from chipping off some of the paint.

Nowadays do we really need them???  Because MOST have invested great time, trouble & $$$$$ into these gems of automotive history are we going to be that careless & let our door lose contact from out hand & just letting it FLING open????

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

I had them on my 65 and they were on the car when I bought it. Make sure you really want them because once installed, the paint is usually damaged.

Well my car is supposed to have them.  That is why I was thinking of reinstalling them, because the left skin is off at this point.  Thanks for the picture.

Thanks,

Art

Posted (edited)

My car came with them from the factory and the paint was destroyed underneath them so I had to find new ones to replace my beat up ones........that being said I love the

way they look.They compliment the thin stainless trim that goes down the sides of the car and over the wheel wells.

Edited by Seafoam65 (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I'm with Tom, I think they break up the lines of the car.  The darker the car, the more obvious the contrast.  Door edges get damaged by no one but the guy opening the door.  The do not get damaged by the car parked next to you.  To avoid that damage, you need to install a horizontal body side molding that runs the length of the door and the rear quarter from the door edge to the wheel arch.  Then for balance you need to do the same to the front fender. Not a good look on a Riviera.  

My 1993 and 1990 Riveras both had/have door edge guards BUT they are thin and painted body color.

Not a Riv, but none for me, either.  Luckily my paint was ok and I just had to buff the edge a bit.  You want a car to look like it's one piece as much as possible from a design flow point of view.  The less things breaking up the profile, the better.

1964.thumb.png.a0426a59cb9fd1c2f7dd0edda166abf8.png19607.thumb.png.aec7491a60b3791e517ddd11fa0675a9.png

• Like 5

3 hours ago, awk409ak said:

Well my car is supposed to have them.  That is why I was thinking of reinstalling them, because the left skin is off at this point.  Thanks for the picture.

Thanks,

Art

Your car came with bias ply tires, too. 😁

If you'd like to try your hand at restoring some door edge guards, I may have one that I'd sell to you so you can practice.

Ed

Ok, maybe I'll just clean up  mine and save them for when I sell the car.  Let the next owner decide.

Thanks,

Art

• Haha 1

They are out there, These NOS just sold on ebay for 150  

https://www.ebay.com/itm/Chrome-door-edge-guards-trim-NOS-set-of-2-LR-Buick-Riviera-1965-1964-1963/254630813069?fits=Model%3ARiviera&hash=item3b492ddd8d:g:CO0AAOSwOape7q~T

The below picture is a driver with 1985 century  guards....12 bucks, a little short but I didnt want to repaint just because of a bunch of chips on the door edge from a prior owner, these serve my purpose just fine... Especially knowing that I saved 700! Just LOL 

door guard.jpg