1930s car with an integrated trunk?

Vonja

Hey guys. I'm writing a story and trying to find a car make & model (1930s to early 40s) with an integrated trunk large enough to hold a person (it's a crime story, heh). I'd also prefer a model that's standard or mid-luxury (he's only a mid-level gangster). I tried to Google this but understandably most discussions on antique cars don't involve trunks.

Thank you in advance!

9 minutes ago, Vonja said:

Hey guys. I'm writing a story and trying to find a car make & model (1930s to early 40s) with an integrated trunk large enough to hold a person (it's a crime story, heh). I'd also prefer a model that's standard or mid-luxury (he's only a mid-level gangster). I tried to Google this but understandably most discussions on antique cars don't involve trunks.

Thank you in advance!

Check out 1941-18 Chrysler product three window coupes....here is a 1941 Dodge business coupe....

1941-dodge.jpg

• Haha 2

I know for a fact that three  skinny high school  teenagers will fit in  the trunk of a 1940 Chevrolet sedan. You can squeeze a fourth behind the three rear facing bodies if you put the spare tire  in the back seat foot well and cover it with a blanket.........

unnamed.jpg

• Haha 2

1936 Pierce Arrow Club Sedan........full size built in trunk..........I’m 6’1” and 230lbs and fit fine...............and it’s a COOL car.

Built in trunks began to come in about 1934. Almost all cars had them within a couple of years although you could buy a car without a trunk for a while, I think by 1939 all cars had trunks.

Ford V8 and Cadillac are associated with gangsters but of course, they could have used any car. When Alvin "Creepy" Karpis was Public Enemy #1 he drove a Plymouth coupe equipped with everything from pistols to machine guns.

A good choice for a medium priced car would be a Buick, Mercury V8 (big brother to Ford) Chrysler or early forties DeSoto. I have seen all of those used by the heavy in 30s and 40s gangster pictures.

One of the earliest integrated trunks was on the 1918 Peerless Mod. 56 Sporting Roadster. A factory offering with Peerless V-8, dual exhaust, 4-barrel carburetor, lightweight body, 80 h.p., flat-plane(like a 2018 Shelby GT350) aluminum 332 V-8. What it lacks being 12 years old compared to a 1930, it makes up makes up in performance. $2,490 new....probably under a C-note in 1930, so a guy could buy it for a song then sell it on some back street or to some farm boy for chump change.

Image result for 1911 Peerless Roadster"

Edited by jeff_a (see edit history)
  • Like 1

Any 1920's or 1930's Business Coupe, they all had a trunk that would work.  You could use an expensive car or an inexpensive car depending on your character.  All the attention goes to the rumble seat coupes but the rest were business coupes, they were the least expensive cars used by most traveling salesmen you can tell them by the trunk handle on the bottom/lower trunk.

1930 Ford Coupe High Resolution Stock Photography and Images - Alamy

My vote is a 1934 Graham...

1935 Model 73 Graham Blue Streak Special 6 Business Coupe

If I were (note the subjunctive indicating "contrary to fact") going to choose a car to stash a body in its trunk, I'd want no spare tire in the way, and the floor of the trunk should be just above the rear bumper.  Come to think of it, I have a couple of candidates for that treatment in mind....

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, Grimy said:

If I were (note the subjunctive indicating "contrary to fact") going to choose a car to stash a body in its trunk, I'd want no spare tire in the way, and the floor of the trunk should be just above the rear bumper.  Come to think of it, I have a couple of candidates for that treatment in mind....

Cars,..... or people ? :D

Paul

• Haha 1

15 hours ago, GregLaR said:

Always an authority, Cagney's trunk of choice to haul bodies was a 1939 Buick. 😄

206a5d3740d7b90b1283df55649bd3a9.jpg.aecbd85997986002c870ae2ddf9cfcf4.jpg

WORST choice of car to haul a person in!  Unless it got a retrofit, there's NO frame member past the rear springs!!!

It was a common complaint if the driver backed into something, or got hit in the rear, the doors would jam shut.

Craig

17 hours ago, Vonja said:

Thank you in advance!

Here's proof!  https://designyoutrust.com/2020/06/1939-pontiac-plexiglas-ghost-car-the-first-full-sized-see-thru-car-ever-made-in-america/    Click link and find the (once) pretty lady!!

Craig

• Like 1

11 hours ago, 8E45E said:

WORST choice of car to haul a person in!  Unless it got a retrofit, there's NO frame member past the rear springs!!!

Hmmmm?

I wonder if anybody hauled in the trunk ever complained about this issue? :lol: