Have you drove your Reatta

Barney Eaton

I bring this up because mine has not been moved since early January.

We have 5 vehicles and I am the only driver. 

When I go someplace by myself I take the GMC pick-up

When the wife needs to go we take the Enclave.    

I did start the Reatta earlier this week and let it run for about 10 minutes but a neighbor came by so I didn't get

it out for a drive.     Anyone in their right mind would sell it........but no one said I was in my right mind.

I do need to sell the '39 Buick Century and the 1965 Corvair Corsa convertible.... we purchased the Corvair in 1968

when it was traded in on a new Impala.... it has less than 60K and is like part of the family but I cannot take care of 5 cars.

The virus thing has changed how we all live.........I would like to go for a drive,  but have concerns about stopping for a burger or

ice cream.    When you stop for gas,  should you wipe the pump handle with a antibiotic wipe?   Just how far do you go to

stay safe?

1939 Buick 005.jpg

1965.jpg

IMG_1498.JPG

Edited by Barney Eaton (see edit history)
  • Like 1

I've driven my '91 Reatta, limitedly.  I still have half tank of gas from my 2019 Winter storage fill up (doused with Seafoam) due to no car shows and very few cruise-ins.  Have been driving my '00 Eldo more than the Reatta.     

• Like 1

Shouldn't be asking since not in Florida (import taxes) but had a 65 Corsa 'vert I loved & won a lot of autocrosses. Is that a 4 carb or turbo ? 4-speed ? Cocktail shakers still there ?

Been driving the CTS coupe more and working to bring the Allante up to snuff. Have six cars for one person now so makes even less sense.

Been Driving mine to Cars and Coffee almost every week (6) since lock downs in my area are in Stage 2 or better and don't affect outdoor gatherings.  Switched to Non Ethanol Fuel and the car likes it. Runs smoother and gas mileage is up from 25 plus mixed to 27.5 same route. 

If my car sits to long I have to put battery tender on it.

Well Barney, I guess I am on the other side on this. I also have a flock of cars, 4 collector cars and 3 moderns, but one is in Florida. I simply like driving an old car and unless it’s raining, the Reatta is my choice. It isn’t as flashy as the Chevelle Vert and won’t win an AACA Grand National like the Speedster but it is an easy ride. The Reatta sits in the small 3rd car garage in front; very easy access. It’s been hot and the Air is a huge plus.

I bought the car 3 years ago as a reliable Summer-Daily-Driver and that’s how I use and enjoy it. In Upstate NY where I live, I’m in very rural, rolling hill country in less than 5 miles of driving. I often find myself on an errand to a Home Depot 2 miles away taking a 30-mile roundabout “ride” to get there.

Of course, the most important Reatta-Plus is that Wifey absolutely loves it. To her it’s the essence of Chic while my much more collector type cars are simply old; She humors me when we use them but never gives me the “eye” when we use the Reatta, go figure.

As I write this my new SUV sits in the driveway, unused for the last 10 days.

Enjoy the Ride, Murray

Had the 'vert out last night to visit friends which was about a 35 mile round trip. Today took the Red for appointments which was about 220 miles. Just turned 300,000 miles on the Red Wednesday and pulling in the garage just now it was at about 300,275.

About 187,000 are mine.

• Like 3

• 2 months later...

I've driven the p*ss out of my Reatta.   Great value, I've gotten four years of daily use out of it and it only cost me 2500 initially, plus about another 1000 to fix stuff.   So, for 3500 Babelbucks, I got four years of reliable service out of it, turned a lot of heads, made a couple extra friends, and can sell it and get all my money back or maybe even turn a small profit.   Its the car that pays you back.  LOL.   

Edited by ChrisWhewell (see edit history)

Paid five large for mine in '01 and for a while was my only car. Normal (for me) maintenance, an occasional AGM, and a respray only. Most reliable car I have.

Found out later that an 88 sunroof coupe is not common. Do like a roof vent.

Both our daily drivers "plug in".  So I don't go to gas stations much anymore.  Did fill the Reatta with gas early this year - when a bunch of local Reatta owners got together because Marck was in town.  But, sadly, haven't driven it much since then.  I do start it up every now and then.  But often have to charge its battery too...

37 minutes ago, padgett said:

Did you meed to use a longer 3/8-16 bolt ?

Below is a photo of what comes in the box.  I used the long bolt shown on the right. I don't remember if I used a washer under it or not.  The other bolt shown screwed into the switch wasn't used. The battery cable bolt worked just fine.

SAM_4218.JPG

What you see in my last photo is what was in the box the switch came in from the factory.  The bolt shown on the right was just loose in the box and it is the bolt I used to attach the switch to the battery. I didn't need the bolt shown screwed into left hole of the switch. I discarded it and used the battery cable bolt to attach the cable to the switch.

I've driven mine a certain amount, not as much as usual, but into the late summer and fall there have been a few "pop up" kind of tours, and we've driven it. Likely I've put over 1,000 miles of it this year. Some weeks ago we did a tour which was a very long one, and we ended up even further from home, so we did somewhere around 400 miles that one, I think, anyway.

We like it, as it's easy for my wife to drive, as well as it's comfortable, gets good gas mileage, an upgraded radio with bluetooth, plus A/C. What's not to like??

Keith

• Like 1