1940 God Fathers movie car,not mine

Okay, something ain't right here.  The CL ad says this is the car from the scene where "Paulie" the driver is whacked because they thought he was a rat, with the famous line, "Leave the gun, take the cannoli."  But the car in that scene was a '41 Packard 180 sedan.  And the IMCDb lists no '40 LaSalle appearing in "The Godfather."  Hmmmm.  What do people think?  Am I missing something?

Haha -- looks like I'm on a solo mission here.  So it appears that the seller of the car is Johnny Martino, who is in fact the actor who played Paulie, the guy who got whacked in the Packard in the "take the cannoli" scene.  And someone who certainly looks like an older version of Martino appears in several of the photos.  But either Martino is working a scam or he was himself the victim of a scam and doesn't know much about cars, because this '40 LaSalle is not the car that Paulie got shot in.

• Like 2

Yes, I'm pretty sure it's a LeBaron Super-8 Custom One-Eighty Sport Brougham.

http://www.packardinfo.com/xoops/html/downloads/1941_Super8SalesFolder.pdf

But whatever it is, it's not a 1940 LaSalle!  I sent a very gentle email to the seller asking whether he was aware that Paulie was shot in a  Packard, not a LaSalle.  Here's the response I got:

"I'm trying to help a friend sell a car. The interior shots were done in this. He would know he was there. Were you there? Don't remember seeing your name in the credits. But I'll look again."

Pretty weak response, I thought.  His claim that the "interior shots were done" in the LaSalle is easily disproved by looking at the video of the scene from the movie.  The only interior shot is from 00.17 to 00.45, and you can see from the left rear quarter window behind the driver that it's the Packard and not the LaSalle.  I just wished him luck with the sale.  I'm not sure what's going on there, but it's pretty clear that the car for sale was not in the movie.

14 hours ago, neil morse said:

Converted to 8 volts?  Now that's something I haven't seen before.

8 volts are a band-aid curer for not having the 6 volt electrical system in good condition: clean, tight, corrosion and tarnish connections,  00 ground cables, good wiring harness throughout.    

something is not right here.  Apart from the movie issues why is there is current pictures of the car?  I agree 100% with 58L-Y8; a 6 volt system with good wiring and clean tight contacts works great.  8 volts?  Maybe Paulie and that canolli stuff went to the buyers head.  If the car is for sale, sell the car not the movie!!

PS: Seller made some quite snappy remarks in response to Neil's email!

Edited by deac (see edit history)

15 hours ago, neil morse said:

Converted to 8 volts?  Now that's something I haven't seen before.  No interior shots.  Priced above market because of its "star quality," no doubt.

You can get an 8 volt battery and pretty much run 6 volt everything without "frying" it (your voltage regulator can be adjusted upward a touch to charge it).  

Sidenote: Flathead Cadillac's are notorious hard starting cars when hot - I never had too much of a problem, but it really only gave you one shot at restarting (and it required some concentration and being parked in a quiet spot so you could hear what the car was doing) and if you "muffed" it then you got to sit for a while and read a book or ...  The cars were probably fine off the showroom floor and for the first year, but as soon as any corrosion got on any grounding point then ....  The solution is grounding the battery both to the engine and to the frame (plus there are smaller ground straps on the engine that were often removed during service issues or lost their "ground").  I also ran a V-16 7 Bladed fan verses standard Cadillac, had the fuel line in neoprene under the hump for the rear axle as the fender skirts trapped heat, original wrap on exhaust, and ....)

• Like 2

13 minutes ago, suchan said:

I second John M on starting a hot Caddy flathead V8. Stall it in traffic, you have one shot to get going again

Yes, as Phyllis Dietrichson and Walter Neff learn in one of my favorite scenes from "Double Indemnity" when they're trying to leave in Dietrichson's '37 LaSalle  after dumping her husband's dead body on the train tracks.  (Of course, with the superior driving skills of a man, Walter is able to get the LaSalle started! 😄)

15 minutes ago, neil morse said:

Yes, as Phyllis Dietrichson and Walter Neff learn in one of my favorite scenes from "Double Indemnity" when they're trying to leave in Dietrichson's '37 LaSalle  after dumping her husband's dead body on the train tracks.  (Of course, with the superior driving skills of a man, Walter is able to get the LaSalle started! 😄)

That sums it up, but not sure it is even that user friendly.

3 hours ago, John_Mereness said:

You can get an 8 volt battery and pretty much run 6 volt everything without "frying" it (your voltage regulator can be adjusted upward a touch to charge it).  

Sidenote: Flathead Cadillac's are notorious hard starting cars when hot - I never had too much of a problem, but it really only gave you one shot at restarting (and it required some concentration and being parked in a quiet spot so you could hear what the car was doing) and if you "muffed" it then you got to sit for a while and read a book or ...  The cars were probably fine off the showroom floor and for the first year, but as soon as any corrosion got on any grounding point then ....  The solution is grounding the battery both to the engine and to the frame (plus there are smaller ground straps on the engine that were often removed during service issues or lost their "ground").  I also ran a V-16 7 Bladed fan verses standard Cadillac, had the fuel line in neoprene under the hump for the rear axle as the fender skirts trapped heat, original wrap on exhaust, and ....)

2 hours ago, suchan said:

$10K for Paulie; the rest for the car. Which is a great-looking LaS.

I second John M on starting a hot Caddy flathead V8. Stall it in traffic, you have one shot to get going again.

Hi Guys,

My solution on the 1941 Cadillac was to use 000 soldered cables, and proper grounds to the chassis, body, and engine,

and a pair of 6-Volt Optima batteries in Parallel, which fit nicely into the original location.

Our '37 Buick used to have a fuel issue and I added a return rubber hose to a nipple on the gas tank's filler pipe.

The Caddy seems not to need this, and as mentioned elsewhere, when in super hot environs, I add 10% to 20% diesel which lowers the octane, reducing the likelyhood of vapor lock.

Never a problem starting

1941 Caddy at Sacred Heart - Wedding 015.jpg

1941 Caddy at Saced Heart 11-10-2011 013.jpg

1941 Caddy LEFT-Saced Heart 11-10-2011 011.jpg

1941 Caddy at Saced Heart 11-10-2011 009.jpg

• Like 1

22 hours ago, neil morse said:

Okay, something ain't right here.  The CL ad says this is the car from the scene where "Paulie" the driver is whacked because they thought he was a rat, with the famous line, "Leave the gun, take the cannoli."  But the car in that scene was a '41 Packard 180 sedan.  And the IMCDb lists no '40 LaSalle appearing in "The Godfather."  Hmmmm.  What do people think?  Am I missing something?

I second that there was not a 1940 LaSalle in The Godfather .       Things that make you go hhhhhhmmmmmm.

4 hours ago, Marty Roth said:

My solution on the 1941 Cadillac was to use 000 soldered cables, and proper grounds to the chassis, body, and engine,

and a pair of 6-Volt Optima batteries in Parallel, which fit nicely into the original location.

Our '37 Buick used to have a fuel issue and I added a return rubber hose to a nipple on the gas tank's filler pipe.

The Caddy seems not to need this, and as mentioned elsewhere, when in super hot environs, I add 10% to 20% diesel which lowers the octane, reducing the likelyhood of vapor lock.

Never a problem starting

Okay, Marty, if you're trying to make me envious, it's working! 😄

• Like 1

13 hours ago, neil morse said:

You mean in the Packard?😄

Yes.

I suspect that many of these cars portrayed as having minor celebrity status are not the real deal. I posted a '57 Mercury from eBay a while back that the seller claimed was owned or purchased by Dan Blocker from Bonanza. Last time I checked, that car was still for sale, but the ad no longer made any reference to Blocker's ownership. It could be that the car's association with Blocker kept it from selling, but more likely a prospective buyer researched the Blocker connection and found it to be dubious. It's hard to know, but I'd want documentation for claims like that.